• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on June 06, 2018, 02:48:16 AM
wow, the 2 guests tonight were actual intelligent human beings with expertise in something real

Shame the first guy had to spend most of his time trying to explain the concept of VR to Simple George. That's right, George, it's not like looking at a screen. Correct, George, not in 2D. It would, the guest explained, enable you to effectively be at a live event like, say, a concert. Simple George: 'But you wouldn't actually be there?'.

Face palm.

Metron2267

Quote from: MaxPower on June 05, 2018, 11:06:57 PM
Yes, I listened to many of Bruce's shows back in the old TalkNet radio days. He gave sound financial and practical advice back in the day. I remember when he had his plane crash and he did his radio shows from bedside for a time while recovering. Sometimes his patience would run thin when a caller would not hear what they wanted to hear in his advice.

He did a podcast for a while after retiring from radio. On his final podcast, he repeats the story of when some radio executives he worked with asked him to talk with a new guy they were bringing to New York who wanted to get into national radio and since Bruce was #1, would he talk to the guy. As Bruce put it, the guy was too demanding, wanted too much money, and would not listen to anything Bruce was telling him. Bruce admitted in retrospect that not following his advice was to the guy's credit because he wanted to do things his way which is what made this new guy successful. The new guy was Rush Limbaugh. A few years later, Bruce said he got some interesting news: he was no longer #1. Rush was now #1 and Bruce was now #2. Bruce said he was fine with that because no one stays on top forever. That final podcast is a gem because he also talks about how he got started in radio.

One of his memorable radio calls was the guy from Spokane who called in frantically on his way home from the airport where someone was trying to extort money from him. Someone put it on Youtube and there is the followup call the next day on what happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOW1NRdOo70

Wow, that is a really good find and real talker history, tnx!

ItsOver

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on June 06, 2018, 08:22:05 AM
Shame the first guy had to spend most of his time trying to explain the concept of VR to Simple George. That's right, George, it's not like looking at a screen. Correct, George, not in 2D. It would, the guest explained, enable you to effectively be at a live event like, say, a concert. Simple George: 'But you wouldn't actually be there?'.

Face palm.
LOL.  It's much easier to explain something to a typical five year old than Jorch.

ItsOver

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on June 05, 2018, 11:47:59 PM
...On to his show in North Carolina for which, Joorch announced, there is 'a row of handicapped seats for those people who are wheelchair accessible'.

-GNS
;D  Jorch needs to explain what a wheelchair accessible person looks like.  Maybe it's when Tommy opens his mouth.

MaxPower

Quote from: monica on June 05, 2018, 11:22:48 PM
So nice to hear a happy ending.  The guy had "padded" $3000 in travel expense records over time.  Someone must have known, because when he got back in the country, his account had $77,000 in new, unknown money.  He got a call from someone (probably a money launderer) who demanded over $25,000 of the money.  The guy paid it (extortion).  He was a nervous wreck, called radio host Bruce, and Bruce convinced him to come clean to an attorney at least.  Withdrawals over $10,000 are examined, and it turned out his bank was worried about him.  They felt he might have been withdrawing it under duress.

This is just a reminder to try to do things right.  Any time you cheat, someone could find out and use that against you by extorting you for money because they will tattle on you if you don't pay them.  People know that cheating is risky in itself, but it also opens you up to being victimized.

Also a reminder not to have secrets.  Just not worth the threat of blackmail.  No matter how embarrassing something is, it is usually not worth losing your peace of mind and freedoms to being over someone else's barrel whenever they feel like blackmailing you,

Here is an article differentiating blackmail (releasing info) from extortion (threatening violence, inappropriate testimony, etc...)
https://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/white_collar_crimes/extortion_blackmail.htm

Remember when you meet someone who always has a black cloud over their head, that they might not be an Eyeore or sourpuss.  They could be hip deep in some sort of extortion or blackmail victimization.  One way to get them to open up is to ask them what their regrets in life are.  They might mention something interesting, and they might appreciate a chance to vent a little even though they won't say everything.  They might just say they once trusted the wrong person.  Or, they broke a rule and regretted the ramifications.   Or, they don't like some of the people they have to associate with.

I've heard that Oprah had to deal with extortion schemes.  I think lots of celebrities do.  I wonder if rich athletes have the same issue.
Yes, it was good to hear that things worked out for the guy and he didn't try to hide it or cover it up (or kill the person extorting him). I remember when the call was first aired on the show and I made a point to listen to the next show for an update.

I see you mentioned the freeadvice.com website. The user forum for that site has a lot of great volunteers, including several lawyers and other professionals, who give good no-nonsense free advice on a variety of legal matters. They can be blunt at times but usually tell it like it is.

Regarding extortion and celebrities/rich athletes/famous people, one of the downsides to fame and fortune is it makes you a target. Some people handle it well and some don't. It seems like the ones who achieve it quickly are more likely to fall to scammers.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on June 05, 2018, 04:15:41 PM
Lol an hour?  I usually only tune in for a few mins. to catch the news goofs or Petey Davenport with the orange lights review.  An hour would only be achieved with a handful of bandwidth-heavy guests like LMH or Nick Redfern who come loaded with good stories to steamroll George with. 

Btw before a few pages ago, I didn't even know there was a radio hall of fame.  I put about as much stock in the opinions of such institutions as in the marketing blurb on a hemorrhoid cream box.
Many awards these days are totally BS. I heard someone advocating voting for Norry on another radio show and the voting is suspect. It is not based on performance, voting by other media personalities, vote by members, based on ratings, based on certain coverage but just members of the public voting and you are even allowed to vote several times.

albrecht

Quote from: MaxPower on June 05, 2018, 11:06:57 PM
Yes, I listened to many of Bruce's shows back in the old TalkNet radio days. He gave sound financial and practical advice back in the day. I remember when he had his plane crash and he did his radio shows from bedside for a time while recovering. Sometimes his patience would run thin when a caller would not hear what they wanted to hear in his advice.

He did a podcast for a while after retiring from radio. On his final podcast, he repeats the story of when some radio executives he worked with asked him to talk with a new guy they were bringing to New York who wanted to get into national radio and since Bruce was #1, would he talk to the guy. As Bruce put it, the guy was too demanding, wanted too much money, and would not listen to anything Bruce was telling him. Bruce admitted in retrospect that not following his advice was to the guy's credit because he wanted to do things his way which is what made this new guy successful. The new guy was Rush Limbaugh. A few years later, Bruce said he got some interesting news: he was no longer #1. Rush was now #1 and Bruce was now #2. Bruce said he was fine with that because no one stays on top forever. That final podcast is a gem because he also talks about how he got started in radio.

One of his memorable radio calls was the guy from Spokane who called in frantically on his way home from the airport where someone was trying to extort money from him. Someone put it on Youtube and there is the followup call the next day on what happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOW1NRdOo70
Thanks for posting that. His last broadcast was interesting review of his career and personal anecdotes about the industry, including the Rush stuff.  I like how Bruce admitted fudging calls to get ratings when he first got the gig. I miss Bruce William shows, I have a nasty time-share situation and wonder if I should invest with a brother-in-law in a dry-cleaning business and could use his advice.  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: monica on June 05, 2018, 11:22:48 PM
You have some good points.  I just get so tired of all the alcohol talk and the references to women he is attracted to.  I wonder if he is the type of guy who doesn't even wrap gifts.  Then he plays I Am Human and Need to be Loved, Light My Fire, and I Did It My Way.  Flabbergasting.  I voted for him, but only because of the things you said, and I had never heard of the competition.

Watch out now you'll get me in even more trouble. ;)   For the record my actions should not be considered as any kind of endorsement, but rather a grudging tip o' the hat to my old nemesis for his sheer perseverance.  In the world of flaky radio hosts that must count for something.  Hell if he wins I'll even give him the customary 24-hr. break from my wisecracks.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 04:33:16 PM
Many awards these days are totally BS. I heard someone advocating voting for Norry on another radio show and the voting is suspect. It is not based on performance, voting by other media personalities, vote by members, based on ratings, based on certain coverage but just members of the public voting and you are even allowed to vote several times.

Awhile back there was some contest for best food-cart hot dog.  To my surprise this guy I drive past sometimes, in my medium-sized town with mediocre food, actually won like fourth place, nationwide.  They interviewed him on local news and his food looked, as I suspected, lousy.  He basically admitted it was just a matter of flooding in many votes in any way possible, but he'd put alot effort into it for the marketing value.  I'll stick to Costco corn dogs over that.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on June 06, 2018, 06:30:38 PM
Watch out now you'll get me in even more trouble. ;)   For the record my actions should not be considered as any kind of endorsement, but rather a grudging tip o' the hat to my old nemesis for his sheer perseverance.  In the world of flaky radio hosts that must count for something.  Hell if he wins I'll even give him the customary 24-hr. break from my wisecracks.
[attachment=1]

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on June 06, 2018, 07:01:35 PM

That threw me off for a second!

I liked Norry's questions and musings on VR and dimensions last night. Pulitzer material. Intriguing. Probing more than an alien on Whitley.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 07:06:43 PM

I liked Norry's questions and musings on VR and dimensions last night. Pulitzer material. Intriguing. Probing more than an alien on Whitley.
For the Hall of Fame, it's all going to come down to the all important Cat Lady voting block.  Will they vote or are they too busy with kitty?

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on June 06, 2018, 07:15:19 PM
For the Hall of Fame, it's all going to come down to the all important Cat Lady voting block.  Will they vote or are they too busy with kitty?

Yes, it is all about "turn out." Will "the base" turn out? I'm afraid the online voting and telephone voting might be the downfall for 'getting out the vote' for house-bound, elderly cat ladies.  The old rotary dial leased AT&T phones while solid and good performing for voice are lacking in the ability to "call in" votes electronically.

I love this pic. Wow. That lady in purple or violet (sorta color blind) clutching her hand almost as if in prayer and seeing a prophet! Old ladies taking pictures.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 07:19:19 PM
Yes, it is all about "turn out." Will "the base" turn out? I'm afraid the online voting and telephone voting might be the downfall for 'getting out the vote' for house-bound, elderly cat ladies.  The old rotary dial leased AT&T phones while solid and good performing for voice are lacking in the ability to "call in" votes electronically.

I love this pic. Wow. That lady in purple or violet (sorta color blind) clutching her hand almost as if in prayer and seeing a prophet! Old ladies taking pictures.

So is that a young Jimmy Church in the front row?

ItsOver

Ha!  Yes, I can see them yelling their vote into a phone.  ;D

MaxPower

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 04:37:41 PM
Thanks for posting that. His last broadcast was interesting review of his career and personal anecdotes about the industry, including the Rush stuff.  I like how Bruce admitted fudging calls to get ratings when he first got the gig. I miss Bruce William shows, I have a nasty time-share situation and wonder if I should invest with a brother-in-law in a dry-cleaning business and could use his advice.  ;)
Bruce, like Art, was one-of-a-kind and can't be replaced. That final broadcast was sad after the final call was taken. I think Bruce is still alive, living near Tampa.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 07:06:43 PM

LOL I've seen that pic so many times, well not exactly the same.  Thanks for the laugh, IO.

zeebo

... I love this pic. Wow. That lady in purple or violet (sorta color blind) clutching her hand almost as if in prayer and seeing a prophet! Old ladies taking pictures.

Looks like he's singing some sentimental oldies there, but I'd expect a little more swooning in the audience.

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on June 05, 2018, 11:47:59 PM
... Joorch announced there is 'a row of handicapped seats for those people who are wheelchair accessible'.

-GNS

I wonder what his position is on the fat cars provided for shoppers at supermarkets

Quote from: zeebo on June 06, 2018, 06:30:38 PM

Is there a Tour de France type of event for backpedaling?

;D

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 04:33:16 PM

I don't remember there being a vote when Art Bell was inducted (I cold be very wrong about that).  My recollection was inductees were based on their networks basically paying an entrance fee.  If so, this is a step up

zeebo

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on June 06, 2018, 08:14:25 PM
Is there a Tour de France type of event for backpedaling?

;D

Jeez I hope not, I think I'm running out of steam lol.

I hope they throw their urine soaked Depends adult diapers at Jorch. Anybody know what's in his singing repertoire song wise?

When I was a kid there was a talk show host named Mike Douglas whose show played in the late afternoon after school - Mike was a former big band singer in the 40's so he'd open his talk show with music rather than a comedy monologue like Carson. To me it was hilarious TV viewing because he would sing rock n' roll hit songs like they were big band swing tunes belting out to a studio audience gathered from old age homes  'Jeremiah was a bullfrog, was a good friend of mine ........ '  snapping his fingers, it was so bad it was good. Not far off from Bill Murray's lounge singer character on SNL 'Star Waaaars, better than no waaaaaaars' hahaha

Rix Gins

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on June 06, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
I hope they throw their urine soaked Depends adult diapers at Jorch. Anybody know what's in his singing repertoire song wise?

When I was a kid there was a talk show host named Mike Douglas whose show played in the late afternoon after school - Mike was a former big band singer in the 40's so he'd open his talk show with music rather than a comedy monologue like Carson. To me it was hilarious TV viewing because he would sing rock n' roll hit songs like they were big band swing tunes belting out to a studio audience gathered from old age homes  'Jeremiah was a bullfrog, was a good friend of mine ........ '  snapping his fingers, it was so bad it was good. Not far off from Bill Murray's lounge singer character on SNL 'Star Waaaars, better than no waaaaaaars' hahaha

Yeah, Mike was an early day nerd but he had a lot of cool guests on his show.   Muhammad Ali, Ian Anderson, Louis Armstrong, Fred Astaire, Joan Baez, Lucille Ball, Milton Berle, Joey Bishop, Johnny Cash, Roy Clark, Sean Connery, Tony Curtis, Rodney Dangerfield, Jimmy Dean, Bette Davis, Sammy Davis, Jr., Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Moe Howard of The Three Stooges, Andy Kaufman, Martin Luther King, Jr., Jay Leno, Jack Lord, Lee Marvin, Roger Moore, Joe Namath, Paul Newman, Olivia Newton-John, Richard Nixon, Vincent Price, John Travolta, Peter Ustinov, The Rolling Stones, ABBA, The Beach Boys, The Bee Gees, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Devo, Bo Diddley, Electric Light Orchestra, The Kinks, KISS, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Frank Zappa and Liberace, just to mention a few.

oh i know, i loved the Mike Douglas show even though i had no choice in watching it - there were cartoons and old sitcoms on other channels but we only had one TV other than a little b&w portable and my mom and sisters controlled the TV for that time slot. I got a great education from Mike Douglas in Hollywood history, lots of old actors/actresses, music acts, comedians that were before my time and I had no idea what they were famous for - especially Zsa Zsa Gabor and Shelly Winters. The only show I ever saw the real 3 Stooges on was Mike Douglas -  Moe Howards was on a bunch of times, i might be misremembering but I think Larry too.

Dateline

The destruction that Norry has created and flames can only be likened to the lava land of Vacationland, HI. 

Jojo

George just gave an example of him dreaming.  He started to say, What if I dreamed I want a better gurf" then either deleted it or stopped.  Girth?  Naw.  Gurf Morlix CD?  No, never spins that one.   Gurf, as in World of Warcraft?  I don't think so.  Horrible, horrible person.  A gf is not like merchandise.  The magic is in the relating.  The w-h-a?  People often get what they deserve.

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on June 06, 2018, 11:52:26 PM
oh i know, i loved the Mike Douglas show even though i had no choice in watching it - there were cartoons and old sitcoms on other channels but we only had one TV other than a little b&w portable and my mom and sisters controlled the TV for that time slot. I got a great education from Mike Douglas in Hollywood history, lots of old actors/actresses, music acts, comedians that were before my time and I had no idea what they were famous for - especially Zsa Zsa Gabor and Shelly Winters. The only show I ever saw the real 3 Stooges on was Mike Douglas -  Moe Howards was on a bunch of times, i might be misremembering but I think Larry too.

I never understood how Shelley Winters became a big star.  She wasn't sexy to me.  She played all of these codependent broads and she fattened up pretty quickly.  I'll forever remember her as the overweight heroine of the Poseidon Adventure who died after rescuing Hackman's character.