• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

starrmtn001

Quote from: jazmunda on September 17, 2015, 05:43:55 PM
I got my picks in.

I have a good feeling about this week. I chose my picks based on which mascot I would be preferred to be mauled to death by. What does it mean to get 49ered?
Means you're two tenths short. ;)

eddie dean

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 17, 2015, 09:58:37 PM
   Andy Reid gagging a game away in the final moments. Shocking.

On the bright side, Wendy's is open until 2.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 17, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
   The onions in his mustache will make the loss easy to cope with.

This is his expression after Denver scores 2 TD in 9 seconds. Priceless!! ;D ;D
A career full of soul crushing losses, makes Andy emotionally numb.

akwilly

Quote from: akwilly on September 17, 2015, 06:57:51 PM
the over under on tonights game is 42.5 and KC -3. If I was in Vegas I would have taken Denver +3 and the over 42.5
Just to see if I can get on a streak I am taking Packers -3 over seattle

Quote from: zeebo on September 17, 2015, 11:51:14 PM
... I have a question for football experts though .. Has it always been a fair thing to do to just full-strength try to punch the ball out of someone's grip?...

No, this has not always been the case, and to me it's poor sportsmanship and the ball shouldn't be awarded to the defense as a 'fumble' recovery when it happens.

I'm not sure when it started, I think players have always reached out and slapped the ball away when it wasn't properly protected, which is fine.  Then it got to be a thing to try to 'strip' the ball out of the ball carriers' hands late in a close game when the opponent had the lead and the ball and was running out the clock.  At some point, defenses started doing it the whole game, and instead of 'slashing' at the ball they started punching it as you mentioned.  I don't like it either.

I've seen plays when forward progress was stopped, a couple defenders would keep the ball carrier from going down while a couple other defenders tried to rip the ball out of his hands.  That isn't football.

I'm also tired of the pass defenders having their hands all over a receiver as they are running down the field together before the ball gets there.  When they show the replays, especially in slow-motion, the dumbass announcers declare it fine because both the defender and receiver are doing it.  Wrong, the receiver shouldn't have to keep trying to get the defenders hands off him.  They ought to throw the flag for pass interference every time there is any contact - maybe make it a lesser 5 or 10 yard penalty when the infraction isn't fully worthy of awarding the offense the ball way downfield, with the current PI rules the choice for the officials is awarding the ball to the offense way downfield, or no call at all.

eddie dean

A new episode of The NFL Football Fan Podcast  comes your way tonight!

Topics:
NFL News
Week 1 Recap
Thursday's Game: Denver's stunning last second win in KC
Our pool picks
Plus a bunch more

When:
5pm Pacific / 8pm Eastern

Where:
Live stream & chat here
www.ufoship.com/chat

Call:
623-242-2278

Get your Week 2 Pool Picks in by 9am PT tomorrow morning

We hope you can join us!

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 19, 2015, 09:53:57 AM
No, this has not always been the case, and to me it's poor sportsmanship and the ball shouldn't be awarded to the defense as a 'fumble' recovery when it happens.

I'm not sure when it started, I think players have always reached out and slapped the ball away when it wasn't properly protected, which is fine.  Then it got to be a thing to try to 'strip' the ball out of the ball carriers' hands late in a close game when the opponent had the lead and the ball and was running out the clock.  At some point, defenses started doing it the whole game, and instead of 'slashing' at the ball they started punching it as you mentioned.  I don't like it either.

I've seen plays when forward progress was stopped, a couple defenders would keep the ball carrier from going down while a couple other defenders tried to rip the ball out of his hands.  That isn't football.....

Thanks for helping clear that up, and I totally agree with you.

AvDaBr

I've seen plays when forward progress was stopped, a couple defenders would keep the ball carrier from going down while a couple other defenders tried to rip the ball out of his hands.  That isn't football.

I'm also tired of the pass defenders having their hands all over a receiver as they are running down the field together before the ball gets there.  When they show the replays, especially in slow-motion, the dumbass announcers declare it fine because both the defender and receiver are doing it.  Wrong, the receiver shouldn't have to keep trying to get the defenders hands off him.  They ought to throw the flag for pass interference every time there is any contact - maybe make it a lesser 5 or 10 yard penalty when the infraction isn't fully worthy of awarding the offense the ball way downfield, with the current PI rules the choice for the officials is awarding the ball to the offense way downfield, or no call at all.

You might be the only person I've ever seen complain about a lack of penalties against defenders.  Seems to me practically every new rule implemented the past couple decades has been geared toward making it damn near impossible to defend a receiver or making solid contact on a quarterback.  Illegal contact or holding is called quite often on defenses when the receivers are 5 yards or more past the line of scrimmage, and personal foul penalties have really gotten out of hand. 

Quote from: AvDaBr on September 20, 2015, 12:48:28 AM
You might be the only person I've ever seen complain about a lack of penalties against defenders.  Seems to me practically every new rule implemented the past couple decades has been geared toward making it damn near impossible to defend a receiver or making solid contact on a quarterback.  Illegal contact or holding is called quite often on defenses when the receivers are 5 yards or more past the line of scrimmage, and personal foul penalties have really gotten out of hand.

I'm against both - the rules you mention that have been implemented, and the defenders getting their hands all over the receivers on long passes downfield. 

A lot of those Personal Fouls are bullshit, but there are a lot more cheap shots and cheap shot artists in the league than there used to be too. 

eddie dean

I have no problem with the defender slapping, punching or ripping at the ball. It's part of the game. Sure it has gotten more prevalent, esp. if the defending team is behind.  It can be a risk for the defender to go for the ball instead of trying to tackle the ball carrier. I've seen games where the defender allows the offensive player gain another chunk of yardage due to going for the ball and not the tackle. It makes the game more exciting.

They did add a new rule a few years ago to address the all or nothing PI penalty. It gives the refs an option to call a lesser penalty for illegal contact or hand fighting between the defender and receiver.   It's a 5 yrd penalty with an automatic 1st down & can be called where the ball is thrown or away from the play.
There is loads of contact between defender and receiver these days, but the refs sometimes don't see it. I'd rather have them miss a call or two instead of calling PI or defensive holding  every  time a players make contact, incidental or not.

chefist

If Dave and C2C were a football game, they would be today's train wreck of Dallas at Philadelphia.

heater

Quote from: chefist on September 20, 2015, 05:39:31 PM
If Dave and C2C were a football game, they would be today's train wreck of Dallas at Philadelphia.

TRUTH

jazmunda

I think I might need to change my method of picking.

Next week I pick based on if I was in a sorority in college which QB would I prefer to be roofied by.

TigerLily

Overall, a pretty ugly day of football so far.  Why was it as I watched the Dallas-Philadelphia game, I kept being reminded of the squabbling Bellgabbers? Poor Romo. Out again.

eddie dean

A week full of upsets. I must have missed the memo from the NFL league office.

trostol

Quote from: gabrielle on September 20, 2015, 06:00:48 PM
What happened to Phily?   It was weird...the "fix" perhaps.?

what happened is Chip's gimmick offense has

1. Been caught onto by the league
2. Has the wrong players for it
3. He has nothing else besides it. He does not adjust well on the fly it seems and he needs to let himself go from being GM...all his off season moves are blowing up so far
4. His quick strike offense is killing his defense..keep them out on the field for 40 minutes a game is just not gonna be good football

also ..how..if you are a CB let yourself get burned so badly on a slant like Maxwell did tonight

gabrielle

Quote from: trostol on September 20, 2015, 06:24:19 PM

3. He has nothing else besides it. He does not adjust well on the fly it seems and he needs to let himself go from being GM...all his off season moves are blowing up so far
4. His quick strike offense is killing his defense..keep them out on the field for 40 minutes a game is just not gonna be good football

also ..how..if you are a CB let yourself get burned so badly on a slant like Maxwell did tonight

thanks for the insight.  I can't explain CB....any given Sunday?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: jazmunda on September 20, 2015, 06:19:52 PM

Next week I pick based on if I was in a sorority in college which QB would I prefer to be roofied by.

I'm horrible no matter what. I'm picking teams by what area deserves an Ebola outbreak less than the other.

jazmunda

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 20, 2015, 06:41:01 PM
    I'm horrible no matter what. I'm picking teams by what area deserves an Ebola outbreak less than the other.

That's the opposite of how I choose my holiday destinations. Vive La France.

starrmtn001

I did pretty well this week.  I would have done even better if I hadn't let a "couple of dudes" influence me into changing a couple of picks.  I should have stayed with the Lions and the Rams!

Ah well.  Live and learn. ;)

WhiteCrow

Yeah yeah I be brag'in.

My Daughter just sent me, a picture of view from my season ticket seats, at tonight's Packer game.

Quote from: trostol on September 20, 2015, 06:24:19 PM

5.  The college game is much different from the NLF, as is dealing with players
6.  The coach and GM should be different people (Chip's not the GM, but he has the final decision on players)

Quote from: jazmunda on September 20, 2015, 06:19:52 PM

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 20, 2015, 06:41:01 PM

I'm going to start going with my gut instead of over-thinking the matchups, that worked a lot better last week

trostol

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 20, 2015, 07:10:59 PM
5.  The college game is much different from the NLF, as is dealing with players
6.  The coach and GM should be different people (Chip's not the GM, but he has the final decision on players)

agreed especially on 5

gabrielle

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 20, 2015, 07:10:50 PM
Yeah yeah I be brag'in.

My Daughter just sent me, a picture of view from my season ticket seats, at tonight's Packer game.

Right at Center Field...nice!

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 20, 2015, 07:12:23 PM
I'm going to start going with my gut instead of over-thinking the matchups, that worked a lot better last week

That does not help me as you need to have some knowledge of the teams and games.

From my experience with a different code of football my gut has served me well in picking competitions. This year I got out to a lead of 7 which is huge in a nine game a week competition and once I got that lead I started picking based on the favorite (to be safe) and slowly whittled away that lead. It was my gut that got me the lead and going safe almost lost the competition for me. I went with my gut for the last 3 weeks and won by 4.