• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: brig on December 14, 2015, 07:46:01 AM
For now, I think supporting MITD and OTOM helps bellgab...

tell that to keith, as it appears he's removed the bellgab link from artbell.com.  i'm positive he didn't really want to put it up to begin with, but he could have at least waited until art's seat was cool.

norland2424

Quote from: MV on December 14, 2015, 12:37:18 PM
tell that to keith, as it appears he's removed the bellgab link from artbell.com.  i'm positive he didn't really want to put it up to begin with, but he could have at least waited until art's seat was cool.

Wait bellgab was linked before? I never did see it.

ItsOver

Quote from: ziznak on December 14, 2015, 12:11:53 PM
I think Art should just keep broadcasting like it never happened ala George Castanza.

We all need a little George.  ;)

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Art Bell on December 14, 2015, 12:21:09 PM
Yes, I said I was going to hang it up, I did not say Retire, or if I did I missed it. What I wrote is what I said which did not include the word Retire. Doesn't matter I guess.

Art

I think personally that while many of us do not want you to retire or "quit" (and I include myself), many of us (and again, I have to include myself in this) also believe that there is just not a good way to come back from this- for you, the network, etc.  You were doing something new and innovative, you had big stations coming on board...    But you've effectively given up your show to Heather, and it sounds like many are willing to do what you've asked - give her a real chance.  People do want the show to succeed, and many are willing to pay the $5 a month to support her. 

Art Bell

Well if he removed the link I am sorry to hear that considering how much help Bell Gab has been to me in so many ways, Rossy and now Heather. Hmmm

Art

Gruntled

Quote from: Art Bell on December 14, 2015, 12:29:05 PM
I think what I was trying to express is I did not want to stop doing the show I love but rather had to given the current situation, not a important difference I guess but Retire to me means a personal desire to be done which was not the case.

Art
Art, I don't care what you said or didn't say about not being on the air before.
You are entitled to change your mind and or adapt to the circumstances
I know me and my family will be a lot happier if you are on air.
Best of luck and thanks.

I think what I was trying to express is I did not want to stop doing the show I love but rather had to given the current situation, not a important difference I guess but Retire to me means a personal desire to be done which was not the case.

Art

Semantics. The end result remains the same. You're OFF the air. And whatever definition; regardless to your intentions, are still rendered moot...

Unless you're back?

Art

Naming Heather Wade as the new permanent host with sporadic guest host spots as a possibility left subscribers in the lurch and tore down what Keith had built with the network, simple as that. If you originally stated that the stalker situation was placing far too much of a strain on your family to continue the show and that you were forced to take an indefinite break (not "cracked that mic for a last time"), fans would be far more understanding and it would have placed Heather in a better position to sit in as host and given the network a greater chance to survive. The finality of your announcement is what caused all of this, whether you admit it or not.

Yes, I said I was going to hang it up, I did not say Retire, or if I did I missed it. What I wrote is what I said which did not include the word Retire. Doesn't matter I guess.

Art

Seems like you've expressed that plenty to those who aren't just hearing what they want to hear so they can justify throwing a tantrum.  No artist backs off of doing what's in their blood lightly.  Disappointment/upset from fans--I get that... some of this other stuff is just insane.  Not disappointment--but this bizarre rage and abuse.  I guess the crazies are always the loudest, though.  Every forum everywhere about anything has proven that time and time again.

SnapT

Art and Keith deserve each other, they both react so hastily to everything.

Lilith

I had not noticed MV....thank you for pointing it out, it will have a HUGE influence on my renewal decision in a month!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Barfly on December 14, 2015, 08:48:21 AM
People that make a forum and talk radio a purpose in life need to get out more, get laid, go fishing, hiking, jet ski, ride a Harley and pick up a skank hooker.

while having sex with my wife, i like to post on bellgab and listen to limbaugh.  sometimes hard to type, though.

Art

Art, I am a fan since mid 90's.  Always loved your shows.

I am quite confused on your stance on this whole issue.

First, without you helming the show DMDN will no longer exist.  Your experience in radio and the business side of radio gives you untold amount of knowledge what will happen, and it is flabbergasting to hear you believe the show will magically go on and you will "pop in" once in awhile.  The network simply won't be there.  Keith knows this, and is already making plans.  You are the star attraction.  Imagine if Jimi Hendrix said he wasn't going to continue his tour but in his place his guitar technician/roadie would be appearing instead.  You really think people would show up to his shows?

Second, if you aren't willing to say you are retired from the air, and the DMDN will no longer be available, what avenue do you see yourself taking to get back on radio or some other form of broadcasting?

Third, if DMDN continues, and MITD flourishes with Heather at the helm, when would you start rebroadcasting/filling in/guest hosting/whatever?

I just don't know what to make of any of this personally.  I can't fault you for putting your families safety first.  It just doesn't make any sense to me, according to the police report, you couldn't determine if a gunshot or firecracker happened, you never saw anyone, and you called your wife to have her call the police, and the police closed the case over lack of evidence of anything at all happening.

I am sorry if I sound callous, the whole thing is odd given what happened at Sirius, and your past moments of quitting radio.

Monday's drama cup runneth over while jumping multiple sharks.

ItsOver

Quote from: MV on December 14, 2015, 12:48:59 PM
while having sex with my wife, i like to post on bellgab and listen to limbaugh.  sometimes hard to type, though.
I do something similar but also include Falkie surfing.  Hang ten.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on December 14, 2015, 09:13:50 AM
Goblins 'n Such with Art Bell is still on the table.

for whatever reason, i like that name.

Art Bell

Well I consider myself a Bell Gabber, been here some time now. I can not be on air now for reasons you all are well aware of. I have a lot of faith in Heather. I have come to know her very well and again I predict she will surprise people.

While I understand there is little difference for the listener about why I am gone, to me it is a big difference, I would LOVE to be there but I really need the support of my Family and right now they are scared with good reason.

It is Keith that wanted to shut the door, I talked him out of it. He just reacted in the moment as did I.

Art

paladin1991

Art

Fuck it, brother.  Family First.  I would hate for shit to go bad and your family to suffer. 

That being said.  If you can come back, and want to....then there are plenty of us who will listen.  But I don't think radio is gonna welcome you with open arms.  I could be wrong.  But then, radio wasn't you stated target.  Was it?  DMDN, and the inevitable followers, was/is the future, and that is where we were going.

Engines still warm.  Wanna take a ride?  I call shotgun.  You drive.

TigerLily

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 14, 2015, 12:42:24 PM
I think personally that while many of us do not want you to retire or "quit" (and I include myself), many of us (and again, I have to include myself in this) also believe that there is just not a good way to come back from this- for you, the network, etc.  You were doing something new and innovative, you had big stations coming on board...    But you've effectively given up your show to Heather, and it sounds like many are willing to do what you've asked - give her a real chance.  People do want the show to succeed, and many are willing to pay the $5 a month to support her.
Sorry, bell. Love Heather but love Art more. I want him back behind the mic. My vote would be to keep Art at his time, followed by Heather. But this is not a democracy. It is a colony in the kingdom of nye

paladin1991

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 14, 2015, 12:36:56 PM
OMG I needed that. Considering what Heather did to Noory last time. I would pay for that.  ;D

I already am paying through my sub.

ItsOver

Quote from: The King of Kings on December 14, 2015, 12:49:33 PM
Art, I am a fan since mid 90's.  Always loved your shows.

I am quite confused on your stance on this whole issue.

First, without you helming the show DMDN will no longer exist.  Your experience in radio and the business side of radio gives you untold amount of knowledge what will happen, and it is flabbergasting to hear you believe the show will magically go on and you will "pop in" once in awhile.  The network simply won't be there.  Keith knows this, and is already making plans.  You are the star attraction.  Imagine if Jimi Hendrix said he wasn't going to continue his tour but in his place his guitar technician/roadie would be appearing instead.  You really think people would show up to his shows?

Second, if you aren't willing to say you are retired from the air, and the DMDN will no longer be available, what avenue do you see yourself taking to get back on radio or some other form of broadcasting?

Third, if DMDN continues, and MITD flourishes with Heather at the helm, when would you start rebroadcasting/filling in/guest hosting/whatever?

I just don't know what to make of any of this personally.  I can't fault you for putting your families safety first.  It just doesn't make any sense to me, according to the police report, you couldn't determine if a gunshot or firecracker happened, you never saw anyone, and you called your wife to have her call the police, and the police closed the case over lack of evidence of anything at all happening.

I am sorry if I sound callous, the whole thing is odd given what happened at Sirius, and your past moments of quitting radio.
This.  Also known as "throwing the baby out with the bath water."  Good luck Heather, Keith, DMRN, et al!  Best wishes!

Quote from: TinCupChalice on December 14, 2015, 12:44:32 PM
Seems like you've expressed that plenty to those who aren't just hearing what they want to hear so they can justify throwing a tantrum.  No artist backs off of doing what's in their blood lightly.  Disappointment/upset from fans--I get that... some of this other stuff is just insane.  Not disappointment--but this bizarre rage and abuse.  I guess the crazies are always the loudest, though.  Every forum everywhere about anything has proven that time and time again.

Yes, he most certainly will develop--BellGab PTSD. Ha! Asking straightforward questions? Aren't you precious.

SnapT

KABC.COM website just updated!  "FINAL COUNTDOWN"?!  What's that about?!

bellNwhistle

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 14, 2015, 12:51:45 PM
Fuck it, brother.  Family First.  I would hate for shit to go bad and your family to suffer. 

That being said.  If you can come back, and want to....then there are plenty of us who will listen.  But I don't think radio is gonna welcome you with open arms.  I could be wrong.  But then, radio wasn't you stated target.  Was it?  DMDN, and the inevitable followers, was/is the future, and that is where we were going.

Engines still warm.  Wanna take a ride?  I call shotgun.  You drive.
I totally agree with paladin here, on both points. 

I'm glad you two (Art and Keith) put the stress and the BS aside to start the show, and hopefully now, too.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Barfly on December 14, 2015, 08:48:21 AM
People make such a big deal out of a talk radio show, i do understand thats the main purpose of this forum but lets be realistic, this forum is FAR beyond the topics of ART Bell.
Talk radio isn't my life, it shouldn't be anybody's life except for the commercial content creators, i listen to music and talk radio while i work .
People that make a forum and talk radio a purpose in life need to get out more, get laid, go fishing, hiking, jet ski, ride a Harley and pick up a skank hooker.
In the end, who gives a fuck? If this entire show and forum encompasses life that you know it you are missing so many other things.
This just isn't that important, for the most part the shows as well as the forum are time wasters, as well as mindless entertainment.
Kinda like a Looney Tunes cartoon.

+1 on the Barfly wisdom.

The whining and complaining is much more sad than Art wanting to step back from the show.

K_Dubb

Figured it was something like that.  Just please give us something to listen to and take our money! I did Christmas baking this weekend and I swear the glorious smell in the house was tainted by sulfur and turmeric.

TigerLily

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 12:59:30 PM
Figured it was something like that.  Just please give us something to listen to and take our money! I did Christmas baking this weekend and I swear the glorious smell in the house was tainted by sulfur and turmeric.
;D

DesertFox

Art

Hey Art  and everyone--been away from this site but am a subscriber and have been listening to Midnight in the Desert.

SO ART--my man,  I think you can see why people are upset with this sudden move to leave/quit.  Any of your fans that have any kind of childhood "abandonment" issues will be especially rattled--lol.  Especially since this isn't the first rodeo we all have had with you and sudden and dramatic quittings.

Especially the sudden, dramatic quitting without any goodbye shows--of at least one day...and better if longer.  But the sudden yanking of the carpet and no goodbye is poorly handled...and brings back similar past episodes.

That said--I'd personally welcome you back if you reconsidered your hasty decision...even if you had to wait a while to get your security situation under control.  I think if you worked with us fandom, most(not all) would work with you.  But lets just cut the sudden goodbye and hello dramas.

ItsOver

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 14, 2015, 12:59:30 PM
Figured it was something like that.  Just please give us something to listen to and take our money! I did Christmas baking this weekend and I swear the glorious smell in the house was tainted by sulfur Carnivora and turmeric.
There you go.

Ring My Bell

Loooong time lurker. First time poster. Blah blah. Be gentle!

It sounds like maybe Art is up for returning if this situation clears up which, in all honesty, is what we all really want. We are all here due to our love for Art and what he has created.

I just hope it happens quickly because all of these large radio stations are not going to play this game for very long. I could see them giving things a few days while they make alternate plans.  But it would be a true shame if he loses the terrestrial radio support knowing how hard it is to get it in the first place.