• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

pyewacket

Quote from: Bobbysaltereg0 on December 13, 2015, 06:28:37 PM
Did anyone tune into coast in the last 2 days? Did they mention anything about all of this going on?

Are you kidding? No one on C2C is going to scoop Noory on this one. George will be the one to break the news and it will be interesting to see how he chooses to do this.

csummers

It may appear he left without a fight. Some say he should have stood up to who-ever it is and if he quits he is giving in to them.
BUT...........for who? for us? Art is 70 years old and is now in a position where he does not have to fight to stay working, to keep his job, to provide for his family. He doesnt need it. So is it worth risking personal injury and possibly his family being in danger for something he doesnt need?

I would imagine if he needed to broadcast to put food on the table he would continue, and make the necessary changes for security. But he doesnt. He was smart and has himself in the position where he can walk away at any time and be fine with it.

So he decided that was the best course of action. Good for him.

I am sure we all would like to have had a few months warning, and a big farewell lap and final show. But perhaps its like rickey williams when he quit football in the middle of training camp one day and everyone complained that he didnt give them more warning. He said "I decided today and I told everyone today". In other words, how can he give warning about leaving when he didnt know he was leaving himself? when he decided to leave, he announced it and left.

Art left because art wanted to leave for whatever reason. Under the cercumstances it doesnt appear he could give any more warning than what he did. He decided to quit, he quit, he told us.

Thanks for the memories art.

phrodo

Maybe Art can pre-record the news segments and send them to the network to be included in the show. It would be nice to hear his take on the news. And I'd much rather hear his voice than Amy Marobotin.

I know there's no chance it hell it would happen .. but I can dream right?  ???

Well those two guys from Fresno that see Bigfoot hanging out at the Burger King or whatever are broadcasting live on the network as normal so I guess Rowland is still at the helm for the Live scrub shows.   

onan

Quote from: DanTSX on December 13, 2015, 07:31:39 PM
The same one with turkey bacon?

Sadly no, my wife bought it at the store because she thought it would be healthier. We are divorcing next week.

deadmeow

A weekly Sunday night show from Art, would be great, like the old Dreamland.

MR. Spock

Quote from: onan on December 13, 2015, 08:06:39 PM
Sadly no, my wife bought it at the store because she thought it would be healthier. We are divorcing next week.
Im sorry.

coaster

The only way Art could have appeased his listeners was to turn his home into a warzone. I guess a lot of listeners don't have a firm grasp of reality. Its just noise that comes out of their radios, and Art's personal life doesn't affect them so they don't care what happens. I'd like to see them in their 70s, with wife and child, trying to do a show while fearing for their life just to entertaining a bunch of spoiled, ungrateful crybabies. Get on it, you crazy fucks.

MR. Spock

Quote from: deadmeow on December 13, 2015, 08:07:20 PM
A weekly Sunday night show from Art, would be great, like the old Dreamland.
yes that would be cool.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: TigerLily on December 13, 2015, 07:12:36 PM
Trekkers, sir  >:(  ;)
And tell that author guy it's SF, not Sci Fi

Yes, but SFAuthor just doesn't have the same pizzazz.

onan

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 13, 2015, 08:08:04 PM

You're right. SFAuthor sounds like some hipster CA author wannabe.

MR. Spock

Quote from: Art Bell on December 11, 2015, 10:39:45 PM
Well by now I am sure you all know I have thrown in the towel yet again. This time it was because after this last incident I was still going to go forward with a open line show tonight until my Wife sat me down this Afternoon and said she now thinks we should stop, it turns out my Daughter Asia had been sent to her room as the Police were called and my Wife found her shaking in the dark scared to death. People I am sure will say all sorts of things as usual but when my Wife said enough and told me our Daughter was in trauma over this last incident it kind of sank in that I have more to think about then myself and what people may say. As the Police came they did so of course with lights and sirens, about three or four Patrol cars I think and Asia did not know if I was alive or dead, too much for a 8 Year old and Mom.

So I want to thank all the Bell Gab members who have helped in so many ways getting this show off the ground, my heart will always be with you in every way. So many have helped and even been involved like Ross, what a great guy. Heather who will now get a shot at least and I hope you will all throw your support to her.

I may do a show every now and then with no regular dates which might throw off what ever nut job has been doing this. At least I had a shot at what I love for some Month's. Again a special thanks to everybody on this special place.

Art
Art whats new?

Just Me

Lets examine the details of the big announcement way back when.

9/21/2015

It has been a great two months start but now it's time to get serious.

Starting Oct 1st Midnight in the Desert will send an XDS feed by satellite to almost 4000 radio stations in stereo, which means all they have to do is flip a switch and we are on.

Now that we are taking this step, we need your help.

Please call your local station manager or program director, tell them you would like Midnight in the Desert on their station and that we are now starting Oct 1st on XDS.

Share this with everyone! It's time to take back the night.

Art Bell

That XDS thing must cost a chunk.

Then,

After extensive analysis and elongated negotiations with several suiters, we have decided that we can go ahead on the planned launch of “Midnight in the Desert” in late July, using a business model that will allow us to manage the entire operation on our own.

As was hinted by Art via his Facebook feed, we thought about it, compared the numbers and decided we could pay for bandwidth, pay the commercial licensing fees, pay our own overhead and still be financially viable, assuming the following conditions:

1. We have a considerable number of fans subscribe to a membership service that allows you to access the archived shows anytime via the website for a reasonable $5 / month.

2. We can sell advertising to be played during the breaks during the show. Not a lot, but enough to help pay for the music licensing during the LIVE FREE stream.

3. We can successfully curb pirated posts of our content to the Internet.

We’ll be operating under a certain specific licensing model that will allow us to ramp up from a “small webcaster” status into a large broadcaster in the future. It is imperative that we earn enough through subscribers and ads sales to pay the bandwidth costs and music licensing fees. We believe that we can ramp up successfully using the current models in place at this time.

However, this happens to be the year (2015) that music industry participants are negotiating the next 5 years (2016-2020) rates for music licensing on the Internet. It is a wide open arena, and some license models may not survive. But we believe that we can operate under the current 2015 model for 6 months, and eventually fit into a 2016 model that is still cost effective.

We hope to recoup all of our investments within the first 6 months, so we can better endure the cost increases that will inevitably happen in 2016. If the fans support us with memberships and the advertisers are satisfied, we should be good for a long while.

Looks like a glitch in the investment angle went up side down December 2015 to bring drama to the subscriber base income.

Then this happened, warning number one:

Announcement

I am sorry to announce that Keith Rowland has informed me tonight that he no longer wants to move forward (he quit). This follows a conversation I had with him in which I asked him to not snap at people. I was concerned because he was in charge of the Business side of the deal which is a lot of work and involves dealing with people. Business is built on relationships. He said the stress of all this was to much for him which is understandable because there is a great deal to do on his side. He further told me that he will turn his Network over to somebody else. All this was as much a shock to me as I am sure it is to you.

As a result of this, it is less likely that I will move forward because I can not handle both The Talk Host part of the job as well as the Music License matters, the Streaming deals that have to be made, the Website, the Producer he had lined up and much more.

Since I have already bought all the Studio gear I will go ahead and build the Studio with the hope of finding a way forward. This is not me saying I quit, it is me saying that right now I don’t see a way to get it all done. If I can find a way, I will do so, but this is kind of a stopper for the moment. I will keep you all informed.

Art

So, the house a cards Art built is rather suspect of being fragile and can implode at any given moment.

The big patch up and the show must go on......

Ok, Keith and I have made amends and will go forward as planned, we were both under a very great deal of stress and it is no reason to ruin a very long friendship.

So Midnight in the Desert continues!

Art

Finally

Art is returning to broadcasting on the Internet on July 20th on the Dark Matter Digital Network.

So, it maybe the base income wasn't sustainable and the dream spiraled into a black hole with no way out, but to give up.

Ciardelo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 13, 2015, 08:08:04 PM
SiFy? siffy? lol

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 13, 2015, 07:05:43 PM
None of this should be happening.  It really shouldn't.  For serious fans, it messes with the mind.

I haven't posted about it.  I thought I would come across as harsh.  I also feel like I don't have all the facts... that I would sound "selfish" and/or "anti family."

The way everyone is bleating about Art protecting his family sounds as if his wife and children were kidnapped and Art agreed to give up the show in order to effect their safe return.  When I read all the "family comes first" posts, I become agitated, I write all this shit out, and then I decide to not post it.

But someone encouraged me to post what I have been thinking.

For the record:

Art made a monumental mistake by quitting at this time, in this way.  IF there really is a specific psycho stalker type involved in the reported events, and IF his goal was to manipulate Art, THEN quitting doesn't guarantee or solve ANYTHING.

SOMETIMES, PUTTING FAMILY FIRST MEANS DOING WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS HARD - EVEN IT MEANS PUTTING FAMILY "SECOND".

That may sound like a contradiction, but I don't see it that way.

I didn't think many on the forum would care to hear the above from me and would ask me if I had ever been shot at, and should Art let the guy kill him or his family, etc.  They are viewing this more as "attempted murder," and I just don't have all the facts to make that clean of an assessment, but I have enough facts to judge that quitting was absolutely the wrong move, on multiple levels.  Others would say "it's just a radio show" and has nothing to do with "doing what is hard," and that "family is more important," etc.

But it can't be denied that if everyone thought this way, we would never have gone to the moon or a million other things.  Does a cop love his family less by going to a dangerous job?

But even with the "it's just a radio show" argument, that's doesn't hold water, because it's NOT just a radio show, it's a PRINCIPLE.  The principle of BEING CONTROLLED by some fuck-head harassing you.

I think if someone wanted Art dead, it would have already transpired.  So what was the goal?  Was the goal REALLY to just make him quit?  Or is it deeper and more mentally unstable and thus is only the beginning?

It's fucking depressing and we will just have to let the situation play itself out like a warped and scratched and hissing vinyl album piloted by a questionable needle.

Maybe multiple times.

Ugh.

I agree with you, Cam. Art should refuse to be ruled by this. This show, and the network, given growth and profit would have made the future even better for Asia. And he's thrown it all away on an impulse with no real appearance of an attempt at a solution. Sullied his reputation even further, this time possible irrevocably, and torn down the sapling of an empire. It is a shame, a frustrating shame.

I don't believe this guarantees anything for Art or his family. Appeasement does not, never will, and never has worked. The girls are not chained to the compound. They can be protected. A million things could be thrown at this situation. This is a mess. It's a shitshow.

Frankly, I'm where a lot of people were after Dark Matter. I just don't care anymore. I think it's better if Art just stays gone, period. Nothing good can come of him crawling back again.

And I hope things turn out well for Red, none of this is her fault.

munbeam666

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 04:01:41 PM
First and second sentence, I agree with. Third sentence, go take your meds.
The only 'meds' I'm  into is organic Humboldt Ganja

Art Bell

Yup, you all are right, I have always told you what is going on in my life as it happens. Yes it was my Wife who finally had enough because of my Daughter's bad reaction. The show is sure my love but not ahead of my Family. We are just hoping nothing else happens for some period of time. If so I may poke my head up if Heather keeps things going. If this continues I may have to move, not something I look forward to at my age. I have asked the Sheriff to post the last two Police reports but I doubt that will happen till Monday at least.

As for now we are hoping for peace.

Art

Ciardelo

Quote from: Art Bell on December 13, 2015, 08:15:00 PM
Yup, you all are right, I have always told you what is going on in my life as it happens. Yes it was my Wife who finally had enough because of my Daughter's bad reaction. The show is sure my love but not ahead of my Family. We are just hoping nothing else happens for some period of time. If so I may poke my head up if Heather keeps things going. If this continues I may have to move, not something I look forward to at my age. I have asked the Sheriff to post the last two Police reports but I doubt that will happen till Monday at least.

Art
Thanks Art, peace :)

MR. Spock

Art
Art, your network is history in 30 days. What are you going to do after 30 days?

MR. Spock

Art live long and prosper.

coaster

Art
There are crazy people everywhere.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: coaster on December 13, 2015, 08:07:46 PM
The only way Art could have appeased his listeners was to turn his home into a warzone. I guess a lot of listeners don't have a firm grasp of reality. Its just noise that comes out of their radios, and Art's personal life doesn't affect them so they don't care what happens. I'd like to see them in their 70s, with wife and child, trying to do a show while fearing for their life just to entertaining a bunch of spoiled, ungrateful crybabies. Get on it, you crazy fucks.

I agree. This is a very scary situation and to see all the whining, theorizing and casting of aspersions annoys me. Art should do whatever he needs to do to keep his family safe. It's just a common sense bottom line. And if he felt that under the circumstances it wasn't safe to continue the show, well, then it is what it is. The show was fun while it lasted, and maybe the circumstances might change in the future and he'll crack a mic again some day. I'll tune in if that happens and I'll keep my sub and tune in to Heather for as long as the show continues, it's just entertainment for me.

Art Bell

Quote from: MR. Spock on December 13, 2015, 08:16:30 PM
Art, your network is history in 30 days. What are you going to do after 30 days?

Who told you that? Let's see what the future holds, I think Keith may have changed his mind, time will tell.

Art

popple

Be safe Art. You are family to us gabblings <3

MR. Spock

Quote from: Art Bell on December 13, 2015, 08:19:29 PM
Who told you that? Let's see what the future holds, I think Keith may have changed his mind, time will tell.

Art
Your website said so.

gabrielle

Quote from: Art Bell on December 13, 2015, 08:19:29 PM

Art

Art, stay safe.   We love you. 

starrmtn001

Art
My prayers of safety, and peace of mind, for you and your family Art.

Mild Bill

Art

At your age, you shouldn't have to put up with this bullshit, Art... A conflict between your two loves...radio and family.

May you and your family have peace and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

phrodo

Art

Art - your candid inclusion of us in your life is one of the many things that endears us to you. So VERY sorry some idiot has ruined our "ride". A lot of us feel invested in your latest foray. I surely and sincerely hope you can find peace for your family... and also find the opportunity to check in with us here at BellGab and on the air. I hope your Christmas is calm and quiet .. and all the AB's have a great New Year!

Peace.