• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

"SyFy" Channel is awful now

Started by Mr. Hanky, February 26, 2013, 04:47:39 PM

Does Syfy channel sucks like George Noory?

yes
6 (66.7%)
no
1 (11.1%)
maybe
1 (11.1%)
dont know
1 (11.1%)
dont care
3 (33.3%)
other
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

11angeleyes11

Yeah, they missed the boat when they did not pick up George's show that a pilot was produced for.

Caruthers612

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on March 01, 2013, 03:24:17 PM
Yeah, they missed the boat when they did not pick up George's show that a pilot was produced for.

He should pitch it to Norton 'Splodes.

Ipokesmot

TV is complete garbage these days.  Nothing but fake reality shows, and stupid action shows that just see how much yelling and loud sound effects they can cram into each second.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on March 01, 2013, 08:48:48 AM
Sci Fi cancelled Stargate - Universe. That was a damn good show. Fuck them

I agree!  I never got into the other Stargate shows, but I was really into SGU.  It seemed to just really be finding it's footing and going somewhere, and then, cancelled.  Why? So they can make room for more movies like "Camel Spiders"?

onan

More often than not I agree with B_dubb. But god is he wrong on Stargate Universe. Yeah I kinda liked the male lead (military guy). But the show was god-awful. Can you say slow. And the science... The passengers were running out of water, Luckily there was an ice planet nearby. But the window of opportunity was short. So they sent a team to bring back ice and thereby solve the water crisis. They bring back a block of ice smaller than a ice chest at the beach. Basically, maybe ten gallons of water to quench the thirst of 60 people.

Did the show have potential? hell yeah, The ship itself would have made for several hours of exploration. But instead we got the high school angst of a 20 something stay-in-his-mom's-basement-playing-video-games because he is most likely still a virgin. Had I been the leader of that group... half the passengers would have been dropped off at the first planet to "discover" themselves.

zeebo

Quote from: onan on March 12, 2013, 04:49:12 AM
More often than not I agree with B_dubb. But god is he wrong on Stargate Universe. Yeah I kinda liked the male lead (military guy). But the show was god-awful. Can you say slow. And the science... The passengers were running out of water, Luckily there was an ice planet nearby. But the window of opportunity was short. So they sent a team to bring back ice and thereby solve the water crisis. They bring back a block of ice smaller than a ice chest at the beach. Basically, maybe ten gallons of water to quench the thirst of 60 people.

Did the show have potential? hell yeah, The ship itself would have made for several hours of exploration. But instead we got the high school angst of a 20 something stay-in-his-mom's-basement-playing-video-games because he is most likely still a virgin. Had I been the leader of that group... half the passengers would have been dropped off at the first planet to "discover" themselves.

Good and fair points all.  It definitely had flaws and many parts that stretched reason.  I guess I can forgive that because for some reason I found it compelling.  The characters were interesting and had their own amiguous motives, and the mysterious nature of the ship and the aliens and the various planets kinda pulled me in.  I think it was more of a character study maybe even somewhat philosophical kind of show rather than a hard science show, although it did have some cool ideas like the body-swapping stones and the way the ship would refuel by passing by/through stars (can't remember how that worked exactly).

Eddie Coyle

But instead we got the high school angst of a 20 something stay-in-his-mom's-basement-playing-video-games because he is most likely still a virgin.

But they are the leaders of tomorrow!

And why I'm praying for death tonight.

McPhallus

Never watched it (maybe one episode or two... can't really remember), but..... endless derivative series based on moderately successful movies are good how often?  Probably never. 

MacGuyver was probably Richard Dean Anderson's crowning achievement.  What a fun show that was back in the day.  And actually fairly well put together.

Quote from: McPhallus on March 12, 2013, 09:57:57 PM
MacGuyver was probably Richard Dean Anderson's crowning achievement. 

Richard Dean Anderson was great because he was a mime...
http://youtu.be/ABL64LayDiE

b_dubb

Onan ... why let realism get in the way of your sci fi?

btw - that's a rhetorical question

zeebo

Quote from: McPhallus on March 12, 2013, 09:57:57 PM
Never watched it (maybe one episode or two... can't really remember), but..... endless derivative series based on moderately successful movies are good how often?  Probably never. 

MacGuyver was probably Richard Dean Anderson's crowning achievement.  What a fun show that was back in the day.  And actually fairly well put together.

I used to love MacGuyver, until he went a bit too far in one episode and built an airplane out of a lawnmower and a ceiling fan. 

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on March 13, 2013, 05:40:03 PM
Onan ... why let realism get in the way of your sci fi?

btw - that's a rhetorical question
You asked me that about another sci fi movie. For Stargate Universe, the story itself demanded the realism with death from thirst. Seems to me if lack of water was that important they would have paid more attention... but as you suggest it is a conundrum regarding reality in fiction... *shrugs*

b_dubb

don't you understand man! that ice was super cold and super dense! there was a enough water in that cooler to fill Lake Huron! dr rush himself probably said as much in an expository capacity type thing

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on March 13, 2013, 09:17:14 PM
don't you understand man! that ice was super cold and super dense! there was a enough water in that cooler to fill Lake Huron! dr rush himself probably said as much in an expository capacity type thing
That's the great thing about sci-fi ... if you ever paint yourself into a corner, you just come up with some futuristic techno-babble explanation to wiggle your way out.  It's like in Star Trek whenever they start prattling on about "tachyon fields" or "spacetime anomalies" etc. during the last 10 mins. of the show.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HorrorRetro on February 26, 2013, 06:32:32 PM
Exactly why we're cutting the cord later on today.  We cut back on cable last month or so, but I came to the realization that we were watching one show a week together.  The shows these days are pathetic.  It's just not worth it, so we're getting rid of cable TV altogether now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cord-cutting-accelerates-raising-pressure-on-cable-providers-11582149209