• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

trostol

season 1 of American Gods ended tonight..i suggest it highly...was solid...and the end of the season was fantastic

Taaroa

Quote from: trostol on June 18, 2017, 09:35:26 PM
season 1 of American Gods ended tonight..i suggest it highly...was solid...and the end of the season was fantastic

What's it about? I often see people mention it and 'The Americans'.
Looking for a new show to watch after I finish Babylon 5 and House of Cards UK...

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on June 19, 2017, 01:13:01 AM
Looking for a new show to watch after I finish Babylon 5 and House of Cards UK...

Orphan Black
Mr Robot
The 100

Those should keep you busy for awhile.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 18, 2017, 04:27:58 PM
How can you satirize something without exposing what it actually is?! I think you're letting your own BS interfere with an accurate read of the movie. I thought it was very good.  ;)

The movie sucked and belongs in a dung heap.  End of story. I hated every bit of it.

Quote from: Up All Night on June 18, 2017, 07:40:24 PM
Julie a skank.... I'd say she's reached the top of her field there.

She was good in Cape Fear with DeNiro.

LOL.  Yeah, that film was good though I'll always prefer the original.  Juliette Lewis was just entering into skankhood in that film.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 11:42:52 AM
I'll always prefer the original.

What can you tell us about the formation of Myrtle Beach?

Quote from: Jackstar on June 19, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

It is a man-made island separated from the mainland since 1936 by the Intracoastal Waterway.  lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 11:41:27 AM
The movie sucked and belongs in a dung heap.  End of story. I hated every bit of it.

Whatever. Keep watching Touched By An Angel then.  ::)

trostol

Quote from: Taaroa on June 19, 2017, 01:13:01 AM

its based on a book by Neil Gaiman...basically modern day war between old gods and new ones

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 19, 2017, 01:33:03 PM
Whatever. Keep watching Touched By An Angel then.  ::)

Dr. Strangelove is a great satire.  Natural Born Killers doesn't even come close.  Not by a 1,000,000,000,000 miles.   Just because I hate NBK doesn't mean that I watch Touched By An Angel.  I never have nor do I want to.

Up All Night

Watched MI: Rogue Nation on Amazon Prime

A good "popcorn" action flick.

Original TV MI still better though . . .

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 05:46:06 PM
Dr. Strangelove is a great satire.  Natural Born Killers doesn't even come close.  Not by a 1,000,000,000,000 miles.   Just because I don't like NBK doesn't mean that I watch Touched By An Angel.  I never have nor do I want to.

You have to remember the time it was released. No one was really on the internet yet. Shows like Inside Edition and A Current Affair were very popular. The mainstream news were just as big of a phony whore back then but not many knew it or could admit it yet. I thought he nailed it. Especially the Downey performance. I think it's one of Stone's best movies!

Up All Night

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 19, 2017, 06:10:24 PM
You have to remember the time it was released. No one was really on the internet yet. Shows like Inside Edition and A Current Affair were very popular. The mainstream news were just as big of a phony whore back then but not many knew it or could admit it yet. I thought he nailed it. Especially the Downey performance. I think it's one of Stone's best movies!

The British papers referred to the teen couple that together murdered her sister and mother as "Bonnie & Clyde"... but I thought of them more appropriately as NBK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/spalding-murders-judge-names-teenage-sweathearts-killed-mother/

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 05:50:55 PM
Myrtle Beach did not exist then.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 05:50:55 PM
Will this do?

copyright 2004. I'm sure it's accurate for today.

https://youtu.be/Y9jplvwvYew?t=1397

Quote from: Jackstar on June 19, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

... was it drawn with a compass?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 19, 2017, 06:10:24 PM

Regarding that specific part of the film he was correct.  However, I quickly grew very annoyed with Downey even though I like him as an actor.  That goes for Jones too. Stone went overboard with the movie as a whole.  Dangerfield was disgusting and well the less said about the two leads the better.  Harrelson played a lovable dope on Cheers but that is pretty much as good as he gets.  You do know that Tarantino hates the film too and he wrote the basic story?  Stone warped it to the point that even Tarantino disowned the film.  And why did he cast Dangerfield as the father of cracker, Lewis?

Quote from: Jackstar on June 19, 2017, 06:28:02 PM

copyright 2004. I'm sure it's accurate for today.

https://youtu.be/Y9jplvwvYew?t=1397

... was it drawn with a compass?

It is an old map placed in a  book that was copyrighted 2004.  Geesh!  Some people!  You did notice Myrtle Beach was not on the map, correct?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 06:33:50 PM
Regarding that specific part of the film he was correct.  However, I quickly grew very annoyed with Downey even though I like him as an actor.  That goes for Jones too. Stone went overboard with the movie as a whole.  Dangerfield was disgusting and well the less said about the two leads the better.  Harrelson played a lovable dope on Cheers but that is pretty much as good as he gets.  You do know that Tarantino hates the film too and he wrote the basic story?  Stone warped it to the point that even Tarantino disowned the film.  And why did he cast Dangerfield as the father of cracker, Lewis?

He went overboard to show how overboard we (as consumers) and the whole system had become. Like I said, you can't satirize something if you can't expose it. I mean, is there a kid glove version of this you think would've worked better?

Quote from: Jackstar on June 19, 2017, 06:39:00 PM
The sandy beaches of the Grand Strand have
attracted year-round residents and recreational visitors
since the mid-1800s, when coastal development
first began
in the region.

Looks like it.

Previously known as Long Bay, Withers, or Withers Big Swamp, the fledgling beach community was simply called "New Town" - until the Horry Herald sponsored a contest to officially name the area. Mrs. F.E. Burroughs - wife of the founder of Burroughs & Collins - won with the name "Myrtle Beach," which she chose for the many wax myrtle trees growing wild along the shore.

http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/plan/about-us/area-history/#Early

Title:
The Horry herald. : (Conway, S.C.) 1886-1897
Place of publication:
Conway, S.C.
Geographic coverage:
Conway, Horry, South Carolina  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
E.R. Beatty
Dates of publication:
1886-1897

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn93067628/

Jackstar

QuoteWhile much has been written about Native Americans, documented facts about local tribes in the Myrtle Beach area are scarce.

Who could have deleted these emails?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 19, 2017, 06:42:38 PM
He went overboard to show how overboard we (as consumers) and the whole system had become. Like I said, you can't satirize something if you can't expose it. I mean, is there a kid glove version of this you think would've worked better?

There is such a thing as subtle satire.  You know don't be heavy-handed.  Obviously Stone has not learned the art of that craft.  I get you like the movie.  I am free to hate it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 06:50:10 PM
There is such a thing as subtle satire.  You know don't be heavy-handed.  Obviously Stone has not learned the art of that craft.  I get you like the movie.  I am free to hate it.

I just feel like your perception of it is unfairly clouded by your revulsion to the violence. Violence should be repulsive. That's a psychologically normal reaction to it. So, when a director is actually able to make me feel that they've succeeded in accurately portraying the nature of it. I don't see how subtlety would be anything but dishonest in a movie about how society's lust for violence in the media creates the violence we're lusting for. Bonnie and Clyde killed people too but in their time many thought of them as heroes railing against the system.  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 19, 2017, 06:50:10 PM
...  I am free to hate it.

Aha, this would be a good title for a movie thread!  It is how I feel about "Interstellar".  I don't care how many times I hear it's "Brilliant!", "Four stars!", "Epic!", "Stunning!", "Mind-blowing!", etc. - I hate it.  Hate it hate it hate it.  Damn that felt good.

coaster

National Lampoon's Vacation. Poor guy. He just wanted to take his ugly, spoiled, annoying family on vacation. I would have dumped those brats into the Grand Canyon.

There is a recent movie I recommend highly.  Side Effects (2013), directed by Steven Soderbergh.  Really a great little thriller about the pharmaceutical industry and a psychiatrist (Jude Law)  who gets into a wee bit of trouble when he starts seeing a certain troubled patient  (Rooney Mara).  Full of twist and turns worthy of Hitchcock or Agatha Christie.  A very unpredictable movie.  I've never been crazy about Soderbergh's work but he did a great job here.   Main thing I would have like to have seen is that this should have been filmed in black and white.  Really one of the better films I've seen from recent years.  4 out of 5 stars.  Oh and Catherine Zeta Jones is sexy as usual in this.  Michael Douglas is very lucky.

Quote from: zeebo on June 20, 2017, 12:04:24 AM
Aha, this would be a good title for a movie thread!  It is how I feel about "Interstellar".  I don't care how many times I hear it's "Brilliant!", "Four stars!", "Epic!", "Stunning!", "Mind-blowing!", etc. - I hate it.  Hate it hate it hate it.  Damn that felt good.

I bought it a while back but have yet to watch it.  I doubt I'll hate it as much as NBK but I'm not really looking forward to it either.  Doesn't it feel good to express your feelings?  lol.  There is something to primal scream therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaRypUGWD4w