The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Quote from: Zenman on February 12, 2018, 01:06:02 AM
What's a Chicken Itza?
(How's that for a ripe straight line?)
=======================================
'Allo!
Noteing am i yet with you.
Being not amused,yet assumeing naevete am i.
Knowing not how to insert here an graphic am i.
Basicly,it's the name of an mayan temple complex popular with punsters,since the name sounds in english-italian as eata da chicken.
(Pah-Rump-Um!)
QV:Jimmy Durante.
"B_B"
PS:No Logo:
"][ 7VF ]["

Quote from: Zenman on February 12, 2018, 01:06:02 AM
What's a Chicken Itza?

(How's that for a ripe straight line?)

sounds like it was an earlier name for this KFC abomination before they renamed it Chizza.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on February 12, 2018, 03:03:18 AM
sounds like it was an earlier name for this KFC abomination before they renamed it Chizza.

Did a bird just take a crap on that cutting board?

PaulAtreides

Quote from: AlternativeSide on February 11, 2018, 10:43:25 PM
What the Hell ... he's got the flu ,,  I wanted to connect with my Inner Torsion Field !!!

You'll just have to twang your Outer Torsion Bar.

Zenman

Quote from: Beelzebubbelah on February 12, 2018, 01:53:38 AM
=======================================
'Allo!
Noteing am i yet with you.
Being not amused,yet assumeing naevete am i.
Knowing not how to insert here an graphic am i.
Basicly,it's the name of an mayan temple complex popular with punsters,since the name sounds in english-italian as eata da chicken.
(Pah-Rump-Um!)
QV:Jimmy Durante.
"B_B"
PS:No Logo:
"][ 7VF ]["

Atsa good explanation.

Zenman

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on February 12, 2018, 03:03:18 AM

Ima no genius, but atsa no sound right.

Theadora

Quote from: astroguy on February 11, 2018, 05:59:27 PM
Really?  A badge proves his entire story is real?  If I didn't think you were a troll before ...

Why do all the early images from Mars, have the sky tinted red?
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_107.html

GravitySucks

Quote from: Theadora on February 12, 2018, 06:18:56 PM
Why do all the early images from Mars, have the sky tinted red?
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_107.html

I will guarantee 100% Sleep-with-Robin-if-I-am-Wrong that the badge you posted is NOT from 2008 or later. NASA went to a single type badge long before that. All centers use the same badge.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 12, 2018, 06:50:25 PM
I will guarantee 100% Sleep-with-Robin-if-I-am-Wrong that the badge you posted is NOT from 2008 or later. NASA went to a single type badge long before that. All centers use the same badge.

Hands off my woman, you cad! >:(

Theadora

Quote from: astroguy on February 12, 2018, 08:19:02 PM
Um ... because it's red.

Mars sky appears blue not red.  Any images of Mars with red sky have inaccurate color balance.  Why don't you know that, or why are you lying about it?

http://www.themarsrecords.com/wp/the-mars-records/nasa-altering-true-colors-pictures-mars/

astroguy

Quote from: Theadora on February 12, 2018, 08:29:18 PM
Mars sky appears blue not red.  Any images of Mars with red sky have inaccurate color balance.  Why don't you know that, or why are you lying about it?

http://www.themarsrecords.com/wp/the-mars-records/nasa-altering-true-colors-pictures-mars/
Because you're simply wrong.  Basic science shows you're wrong.  Mars' composition shows you're wrong.  Views from Earth show you're wrong.  Even the color calibrators ON THE ROVERS THEMSELVES show you're wrong.

Theadora

Quote from: astroguy on February 12, 2018, 08:37:18 PM
Because you're simply wrong.  Basic science shows you're wrong.  Mars' composition shows you're wrong.  Views from Earth show you're wrong.  Even the color calibrators ON THE ROVERS THEMSELVES show you're wrong.

http://www.enterprisemission.com/colors.htm

http://www.enterprisemission.com/colors2.htm

chefist

Quote from: astroguy on February 12, 2018, 09:25:43 PM
You cannot use Richard Hoagland to prove Richard Hoagland.  And, I've already debunked that.  I'm done arguing with you on this. I'm not sure why I decided to feed the troll.

Dear lord...why do you torture yourself here? You're and astrophysicist? I don't suffer alchemists on Bellgab! LOL

astroguy

Quote from: chefist on February 12, 2018, 09:35:18 PM
Dear lord...why do you torture yourself here? You're and astrophysicist? I don't suffer alchemists on Bellgab! LOL
Planetary geophysicist.  And some part of me thinks that someone may come across this in an internet search and wonder what the answer is.

chefist

Quote from: astroguy on February 12, 2018, 09:36:54 PM
Planetary geophysicist.  And some part of me thinks that someone may come across this in an internet search and wonder what the answer is.

Ah...ok...mixed you up with Agent Orange...my apologies...well, you never know...this thread may be found 2000 years from now, and our entire culture will be defined by its content.

ItsOver

Quote from: chefist on February 12, 2018, 09:39:20 PM
...this thread may be found 2000 years from now, and our entire culture will be defined by its content.

"That's true.  Next up, Gene in Eugene..."

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on February 12, 2018, 09:43:23 PM

"That's true.  Next up, Gene in Eugene..."

Bwahahhaa...exactly, man! Hope you have been well, and the road has been good to ya!

crankshaft

Quote from: chefist on February 12, 2018, 09:39:20 PM
..this thread may be found 2000 years from now, and our entire culture will be defined by its content.

I knew this thread was going to be very important.

Lunger

Quote from: Theadora on February 12, 2018, 08:29:18 PM

Mars has reddish sunrises and bluish sunsets.  Inbetween the sky is more on then golden side

zeebo

You cannot use Richard Hoagland to prove Richard Hoagland. ...

But, as an expert, he can attest to his status an an expert.

astroguy

Quote from: Lunger on February 12, 2018, 10:07:10 PM
Mars has reddish sunrises and bluish sunsets.  Inbetween the sky is more on then golden side
No.  Mars has reddish skies and bluish sunset/rise.  Has to do with the way the particles and gases in the atmosphere absorb and refract light.  I've addressed that in this podcast episode.  To quote:

Quote“But, why are Martian sunsets blue?” â€"might scream a conspiracist. The reason is that the red light has been scattered out by the dust. The setting sun goes through so much more atmosphere than when the sun is high overhead, and so more and more red light is scattered around by those dust particles. This leaves primarily the blue light to come through since Rayleigh scattering plays a smaller, relative role to the dust.

You can think of this as a situation where Rayleigh scattering is going on, so the sky would appear blueish, but the dust scattering that makes things reddish is much stronger. At sunset, the dust scattering red light is so strong that it’s extracted the red light, and so the blue light scattered by Rayleigh scattering is what’s seen close to the sun at sunset.

expat

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 12, 2018, 06:50:25 PM

You're dead right squire, no fear of getting red pubes between your teeth. That badge dates from when RCH was contracted to write technical documentation for the Orbiting Astronomical Observatory sats. Would have been mid-60s, GSFC was the prime Center. Nothing to do with Mars, skies, or the (mythical) red control on TV sets of 1976.

https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/copernicus/copernicus.html

PS: Hoagland cashed his advance but never delivered any publishable MS. His inability to see projects to completion goes way back.

PPS: Next month will see the anniversary of RCH declaring that the new book is "just recently completed."

ItsOver

Quote from: chefist on February 12, 2018, 09:53:07 PM
Bwahahhaa...exactly, man! Hope you have been well, and the road has been good to ya!
Thank yeeewww!  No complaints here and good to see yeeewww posting again.  Post often.

expat

Another person who's a reliable source on the color of Mars (other than astroguy, I mean) is the artist Don Davis. Don made a special study of the problem of rendering planetary color accurately.

Jim Bell is a third trustworthy expert. In his book Postcards From Mars he tells how the first few images from Viking 1 lander didn't include the color reference strip, so the graders basically just guessed. Once the refstrip came into view they re-graded the original images. Jim is adamant that the daytime sky on Mars is "butterscotch" unless a sandstorm is in progress.

As usual Theadora has the story about the TV monitors wrong. According to Hoagland, it was at JPL and it was in the press room, not "mission control," which indeed would have been off limits to a journo accredited to an airline inflight magazine (as RCH was at the time.) There's no independent RED control on the monitors--if anything, the chrominance would have been increased across the board.

I was there and I don't remember any such event, but then admittedly I was mostly in a moblie control room parked on Sergeant Road, when I wasn't pointing a camera at Carl Sagan.

Theadora

You cannot use Richard Hoagland to prove Richard Hoagland.  And, I've already debunked that.  I'm done arguing with you on this. I'm not sure why I decided to feed the troll.

Stuart Robbins does not validate Stuart Robbins.  I find no legitimate, actual Scientific, peer review of your self proclaimed, so-called, debunking.