• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 25, 2018, 07:26:57 PM
White poop = apartheid?
Dogs in our yard are fed many, many table bones (not saying I approve!)  And their poop is white.  I feel sorry for the eldest, because bones, and calcium, are a bit constipating!!

Quote from: Jojo on January 25, 2018, 07:44:05 PM
Dogs in our yard are fed many, many table bones (not saying I approve!)  And their poop is white.  I feel sorry for the eldest, because bones, and calcium, are a bit constipating!!

So what are the old dog's thoughts on the Berenstein v. Berenstain Bears?

Jojo

Quote from: Norm on January 20, 2018, 01:56:53 AM
Netflix? Is this the electronic equivalent to corn flakes? What is its power source?
I'm not sure, but I think Netflix are DVDs in red rental vending machines at grocery stores.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM
"Arf, why are people who look like Nelson Mandela always afraid of me, ruff-ruff? Is that the Mandela Effect, arf, woof?"

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on January 25, 2018, 08:22:44 PM
I'm not sure, but I think Netflix are DVDs in red rental vending machines at grocery stores.

Oh, Jojo! ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48

Jojo

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM
My intro to the Mandela effect...

I worked in libraries.  The authors were very popular.  Everyone pronounced the authors' names as Berenstein and no one questioned the weird Berenstain spelling.  Bernstein is a Jewish name.  Maybe Mr. Berenstain's ancestors altered the spelling to appear less Jewish.

The Mandela effect also proves that if you ask 100 people to describe an incident, regardless of how little time has passed, many people will perceive it differently, and with a lot of irrational bias.  Like the day I suspected a young pitbull was sold to an Asian for dog meat, when in actuality a friend dropped off a janitor's dog so the dog could go to work with the janitor.

So, Berenstain, pronounced "Berenstein".

pate

Quote from: albrecht on January 25, 2018, 07:21:40 PM
Proverbs 26:11

Remember when dog crap used to be white, after a bit?
http://www.caninest.com/white-dog-poop/

I followed that link for the article, but stayed for the comments.  Almost BallGrabesque...

ksm32

I don't always like meat and veggies in a  soup, sometimes a consume is just fine. Sometimes the ratio of meat to vegetables is off and you're left bewildered never wanting soup again, ever.

I've also noticed there seem to be less Mike's than ever before. Less Dave's too! Most of the Mike's and Dave's I've known have been rather good fellows. Alas..

Uncle Duke

Can any one explain to me why people are willing to pay more than face value for pre-paid gasoline gift cards on sites like eBay? 

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 26, 2018, 09:55:48 PM
Can any one explain to me why people are willing to pay more than face value for pre-paid gasoline gift cards on sites like eBay?

Hey Duke! how have you and yours been? Glad to see you here. I've been out of it.

albrecht

Can any one explain to me why people are willing to pay more than face value for pre-paid gasoline gift cards on sites  like eBay?
I have not heard of this phenomena (either that there was such a thing or a resale market) but some ideas: Paying for them with stolen cards/numbers and easier to use the "new" card at a station than a stolen/cloned card, a small form (unless done on scale) of money laundering (where you expect some costs,) someone trying to go "off-grid" and escaping something (battering husband, the law, cult, runaway, etc) and ability to "pay-at-the-pump" without a quick ID or card "shutoff"....just some ideas, I'm sure there are more.
ps: I was ASSUMING this "gas card" was based on USD value NOT on value of AMOUNT of fuel. It would be an interesting thing to have gas cards for VOLUME of fuel. Then I could see a secondary, consumer market for them! And then a sort of future market or hedge market for the "little guy." Hey, I got an idea.

Jojo

$8-12 more might actually be market rate, especially if it is re-loadable.  Those pre-paid credit cards come with a purchase fee, activation fee, and most are not re-loadable.  I tried them for Insiders, because Insiders requires automatic billing.  So, if I bill to a pre-paid card, I don't have to worry about recurring billing $38 NSF fees at my bank.  Am still seeking a credit union.  Our area only has a few, but I noticed a new one.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Up All Night on January 27, 2018, 11:02:24 PM

Temptation

I was going to say that it's gotta be a wedding because I've seen so many of those but then I noticed that someone seems to have a name tag on. You usually don't see those at weddings. :D

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on January 26, 2018, 10:00:55 PM
I have not heard of this phenomena (either that there was such a thing or a resale market) but some ideas: Paying for them with stolen cards/numbers and easier to use the "new" card at a station than a stolen/cloned card, a small form (unless done on scale) of money laundering (where you expect some costs,) someone trying to go "off-grid" and escaping something (battering husband, the law, cult, runaway, etc) and ability to "pay-at-the-pump" without a quick ID or card "shutoff"....just some ideas, I'm sure there are more.
ps: I was ASSUMING this "gas card" was based on USD value NOT on value of AMOUNT of fuel. It would be an interesting thing to have gas cards for VOLUME of fuel. Then I could see a secondary, consumer market for them! And then a sort of future market or hedge market for the "little guy." Hey, I got an idea.

Must admit the idea of buying them with stolen cards and/or money laundering didn't occur to me, but I did consider the "off grid" and escaping/laying low concepts.  I can understand not wanting to be ID checked at the pump, in that way the pre-payed gas card is almost like a burner phone.  Buy why not just pop into a Shell or BP station and pay face value in cash for the cards, or buy them at face value from the many stores (Wal-Mart, Sam's, Costco, Kroger) that sell them in addition to the gas stations.  If somebody's trying to track you, I'd think you leave a significant trail buying with a credit card or through PayPal via eBay and them having them sent to your postal address.

Yorkshire pud

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180126-meet-the-motorbike-racing-robot

The Thunderhill Raceway in California’s Sacramento Valley is soaked in the oil of motorsport history.

It is home to the longest automobile race in the United States, known as the 25 Hours of Thunderhill, and last September, it was host to a very different kind of race: a race between man and machine.

In the distance, a motorbike driver took the curves of the course like any other professional rider. It was only up close that reality hit the spectator: the rider wasn’t human. It was a blue humanoid robot that looked like it had stepped straight out of a screenshot from the computer game Halo.

Yorkshire pud

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180126-gluten-free-water-and-absurd-labelling-of-whats-absent

While some labels provide useful information that is not readily detectable by consumers, others contain misleading claims that exploit a knowledge gap with consumers and take advantage of their willingness to pay a premium for so-called process labels. For example, details on a product’s country of origin are helpful; labelling a bottle of water “gluten-free” and “non-GMO” much less so.

Such 'fake transparency' does nothing to inform consumers about the nature of their foods

In my experience as a food economist, such “fake transparency” does nothing to inform consumers about the nature of their foods. Moreover, it can actually decrease well-being when accompanied by a higher price tag. A new labelling law set to take effect next year will only make matters worse.

Maybe they'll be promoting sand free diesel, or lactose free Merlot?

Gd5150

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 28, 2018, 01:57:21 AM
Pretty interesting article

http://blog.nicodebarmore.com/2014/12/21/planning-the-monument-valley-mitten-shadow-the-photographers-ephemeris/

Wow that’s wild. Monument Valley is an amazing place to see. That reminds me of the Horsetail Falls phenomenon in Yosemite.

QuoteFor a couple of weeks each February, a waterfall in California’s Yosemite National Park appears to be set ablaze by the setting sun, a fleeting evening spectacle known as the “firefall.”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/02/how-to-photograph-yosemite-firefall/

GravitySucks

When you forget to change accounts on Twitter...

Up All Night

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 28, 2018, 04:21:12 PM
When you forget to change accounts on Twitter...

Sorta ties in with this:

Celebrities, athletes, pundits and politicians have millions of fake followers.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/27/technology/social-media-bots.html

GravitySucks

Was this a whole pizza when it fell?

Will she wake up and save the rest of the pizza?

These are important questions.