• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Search

Started by jazmunda, April 20, 2016, 02:50:50 AM

Element 115

Quote from: MV on April 21, 2016, 11:38:18 AM
why is it an inconvenience?  there's a search link in the main menu.  the new posts/new replies links are in the main menu.  nothing goes away but the waste of screen real estate.

Members is right next to My Messages. It's just in the top menu now. Search works fine.

WildCard

Quote from: Element 115 on April 21, 2016, 07:18:16 PM
Members is right next to My Messages. It's just in the top menu now. Search works fine.

Shhhhhhh. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Dateline

Quote from: WildCard on April 21, 2016, 07:43:14 PM

I don't have members at all in the top line.  It is:  Home, Rules, Search, Profile, My Messages, Logout, New Posts, New Replies, The Gabcast, Donate, eCigs.

WildCard

Quote from: Dateline on April 21, 2016, 08:21:16 PM
I don't have members at all in the top line.  It is:  Home, Rules, Search, Profile, My Messages, Logout, New Posts, New Replies, The Gabcast, Donate, eCigs.

No comment.

Save that page for future use in case some asshole "fixes" it. At least it will be good up to newest member = 7066

Edit: 7055, even. Welcome Darth Pikachu. Post often.

Element 115

Quote from: WildCard on April 21, 2016, 07:43:14 PM

lolz Wildcard

Edit:  Braise MV

Not on mine.

I'm still trying to figure out why less information and fewer options are better

73s

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 23, 2016, 11:39:06 AM
Not on mine.

I'm still trying to figure out why less information and fewer options are better

MV got rid of the "Members" feature. He posted about it somewhere. Said that other boards don't use a feature to browse through all the board's members, etc.

Quote from: 73s on April 23, 2016, 11:44:51 AM
MV got rid of the "Members" feature. He posted about it somewhere. Said that other boards don't use a feature to browse through all the board's members, etc.

Thanks, I realize all that.  I'm just wondering how that's better on this one.

If all the other boards jumped off a cliff...

My 'Members' disappeared this morning. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I miss it already.  :'(

CornyCrow

Not for me.  It seems as though some have a 'Members' and others do not.
I also lost the ability to post a new message, but can only reply.
I also can no longer 'Follow' a thread because that button is also missing from the bottom of the page. 

Dateline

I regained a Members option and have confirmed to myself that I really do exist in Bellgab dimension.

Praise MV!

Up All Night

I did a "custom" search for "Demme" because he had passed away today, but it came up "No Results." Is the search dependent on what Google can come up with with their scans?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Up All Night on April 26, 2017, 07:17:41 PM
I did a "custom" search for "Demme" because he had passed away today, but it came up "No Results." Is the search dependent on what Google can come up with with their scans?

I am sure it takes awhile for google to update its indexes. The bots don't run in real time.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 26, 2017, 07:20:39 PM
I am sure it takes awhile for google to update its indexes. The bots don't run in real time.

correct.  the original search system wasn't instant, either.  i think it took up to 24 hours to update.

Jackstar

OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS SEARCH ON THIS SITE IS WORSE THAN ALTA VISTA

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Jackstar on May 16, 2017, 09:30:10 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS SEARCH ON THIS SITE IS WORSE THAN ALTA VISTA

Get used to it. It's not going away.

Dr. MD MD

I'm not really complaining. I understand that you may have your own reasons for doing it but I have to concur with Jack. The search is essentially useless now. I don't use it anymore, anyway. Search for me now is just poking around the home page trying to find what I'm looking for. You should just get rid of the search function altogether rather than keep the (severely hampered) way it is. That might save you some resources.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 17, 2017, 03:15:16 PM
I'm not really complaining. I understand that you may have your own reasons for doing it but I have to concur with Jack. The search is essentially useless now. I don't use it anymore, anyway. Search for me now is just poking around the home page trying to find what I'm looking for. You should just get rid of the search function altogether rather than keep the (severely hampered) way it is. That might save you some resources.

What is it you needed to find that the new search failed you on? You'll need to be more specific than "it's essentially useless" because that isn't information I can do anything with. Have you taken any time to learn about Google search operators? It is literally Google Search you're now using to search the forum.

https://bynd.com/news-ideas/google-advanced-search-comprehensive-list-google-search-operators/

Valeriaz

Quote from: Σ> on May 20, 2017, 11:56:04 PM
What is it you needed to find that the new search failed you on? You'll need to be more specific than "it's essentially useless" because that isn't information I can do anything with. Have you taken any time to learn about Google search operators? It is literally Google Search you're now using to search the forum.

https://bynd.com/news-ideas/google-advanced-search-comprehensive-list-google-search-operators/

I found this on Google Search and could not find this link so I found what I needed.

Jackstar

Quote from: Σ> on May 17, 2017, 11:58:50 AM
Get used to it. It's not going away.

From the dox you linked:

Quotedaterange:
This query will search within a given date and time range, but is a bit unusable because dates must be entered in the tricky Julian format. For example, the string:

beagle daterange:2455332-2455334

Will search for beagle-based articles over the last two days. Bonus link: calculate Julian dates here.

Dude, you can go calculate Julian dates with your mom.

Jojo

Hello, is MV there?  There are a couple different types of difficulty I get from the search field.  Here is one example:

I searched "Rogue spiders" and the post I sought came up.  But, when i clicked on it, i was routed to the home page.

I can see the avatar (a man's head inside a clear acrylic/plastic container), but no user name?

Also, oddly, he same post is attributed to a totally different avatar inside p. 2 of the actual thread.

Jojo

Quote from: Swishypants on October 30, 2017, 08:06:06 PM
HELLO! YES, THIS IS MV!
"All caps AND a perm AND two avatars?" asked Little Red Writing Hood...

Jackstar

Actual worst search tool ever.

Lord Grantham

I've had the same problem, aside from searches for "rogue spiders"

Jojo

Quote from: mv on May 20, 2017, 11:56:04 PM

There are a couple different types of difficulty I get from the search field.  Here is one example:
I searched "Rogue spiders" and the post came up.  But, when i clicked on it, i was routed to the home page (Problem 1).  I see the avatar but I would like the user name too.