• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

Caruthers612

Quote from: whoozit on August 10, 2015, 06:50:31 AM
I saw the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons mentioned a while back.  Another great book of his is The Terror.  It is a fictionalized account of Sir John Franklin's ill-fated 1845 expedition to find the Northwest Passage.  It contains an explanation that shows why Mr. Simmons can write effectively in several different genres. There is one bizarre scene that I still visualize as shot by Stanley Kubrick. Check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation, whoozit. Hyperion is a righteous book, so I just went over to Audible and put The Terror in my wish list. Now, for those of you looking for one of the greatest books ever written, read Steppenwolf, by Hermann Hesse, which I just did. Let me say that I was very glad I was middle-aged before attempting this novel, as one must be so, in my opinion, to properly understand to Harry Haller, its protagonist, his plight, his descent. Do not pass go or collect two hundred Simoleons, just read the dern thing.

zeebo

Quote from: whoozit on September 12, 2015, 01:48:00 PM
What did you think of Armada?

I gave my mini-review a few posts back.  But I'll elaborate a bit more, if you're interested.  Don't read this if you're really set on reading the book! ...............

** Possible spoilers below **

Quick summary is I was pretty disappointed.  I thought Ready Player One was a blast, so much so that I read it twice, which I almost never do.  But Armada was really a miss imho.

Strange tone, like he couldn't decide if it was a young adult adventure or a grown-up serious war story.  Shallow characters in contrived situations.  Lots of cliches and not to mention that the whole premise is based on a kind of Last Starfigher / Ender's Game mash-up which he basically admits to in the book, but that doesn't justify how derivitive it is. 

His first book of course also had some silliness but the compelling and fun story made you forget that and enjoy the ride.  This one though just has so many nonsensical and/or cringe-worthy moments.  The geek culture references were also annoying this time, as there was no real justification for it, as there was in RPO.  And I won't even mention the ending. 

RPO was so original, you could tell he'd really thought it out, and it was a personal homage to 80's culture of vidgames, movies, music etc.  But this one felt like he was trying to write for the movie they're supposedly gonna make, complete with pointless action sequences and a pretty thin plot.  There are some funny or clever moments and a few good lines, but I can't recommended it. 

zeebo

Quote from: Caruthers612 on September 13, 2015, 03:45:59 PM
         Thanks for the recommendation, whoozit. Hyperion is a righteous book, so I just went over to Audible and put The Terror in my wish list. ...

Hyperion and it's companion Fall of Hyperion are two of my all-time fave books.  The scope and depth of their themes amaze me.  I loved the characters, the settings, the plot, and the sheer literary brilliance of the writing.  I've heard some nut wants to make a movie out of them.  Haha, what?  Good luck!

whoozit

Quote from: zeebo on September 13, 2015, 06:06:31 PM
Hyperion and it's companion Fall of Hyperion are two of my all-time fave books.  The scope and depth of their themes amaze me.  I loved the characters, the settings, the plot, and the sheer literary brilliance of the writing.  I've heard some nut wants to make a movie out of them.  Haha, what?  Good luck!
Good luck with that.  Imagine trying to present the Shrike.

Did you read the two Endymion books that close out the Hyperion saga?  They're good too.  I like Dan Simmons and have read several of his books.  No matter what genre he is writing in he always shows his horror roots.  The Archangel ships in The Endymion books are quite gruesome when you think about them.  I also think he tries to get you to read other authors.  The book Drood succeeded in getting me to read more Dickens and give Wilkie Collins a try.  Hyperion  is a reimagined telling of Canterbury Tales daring you to read Chaucer.

I really do read other authors. I read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart his summer and really enjoyed it.  You don't have to be a Rush fan to get something out of the book.  The book is about one man's attempt to survive tragedy and rebuild his life. 

aldousburbank

Quote from: whoozit on September 13, 2015, 06:47:46 PM
I read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart his summer and really enjoyed it.  You don't have to be a Rush fan to get something out of the book.  The book is about one man's attempt to survive tragedy and rebuild his life.
I enjoyed Ghost Rider so much that I still pick it up to randomly re-read a chapter.

zeebo

...I like Dan Simmons and have read several of his books.  No matter what genre he is writing in he always shows his horror roots. ...

I've been meaning to try his more pure horror books like Song of Kali or Carrion Comfort - I've heard they're pretty scary.   :-\

Did you read the two Endymion books that close out the Hyperion saga?  They're good too.  ...

I read the first one and it was good but didn't grab me as much although the premise was cool.  I don't think I actually read the fourth book - I should go back and read that one and finish out the saga. 

...  Hyperion  is a reimagined telling of Canterbury Tales daring you to read Chaucer.

And maybe some Keats too.   :)

whoozit

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 13, 2015, 07:12:35 PM
I enjoyed Ghost Rider so much that I still pick it up to randomly re-read a chapter.
Excellent book by an interesting man.  I'll read his other books over the winter.  I have a tradition to give good friends a book on my birthday.  This one went to an old friend going through personal issues.  Fortunately not as bad as the book. 

whoozit

Quote from: zeebo on September 13, 2015, 07:35:49 PM
I've been meaning to try his more pure horror books like Song of Kali or Carrion Comfort - I've heard they're pretty scary.   :-\

I read Carrion Comfort some years ago.  I remember it being pretty bleak and gruesome.  You may want to try Summer of Night first.  It is a horror book.  It reminded me of It by Stephen King with less verbal diarrhea and better writing.  Not a knock on SK, he is a great story-teller. This is just a more concise book with better prose.

By the way, I still think Pet Sematary is one of the most frightening books I ever read.  I actually stopped reading it for several days when I realized where SK was going.

Quote from: zeebo on September 13, 2015, 06:06:31 PM
I've heard some nut wants to make a movie out of them.  Haha, what?  Good luck!

I think its an upcoming mini-series on SyFy channel.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 13, 2015, 09:21:59 PM
I think its an upcoming mini-series on SyFy channel.

Ok at first I thought you were joking, but I checked it out, and yep looks like it's in the works.  Apparently after years of Mansquitos and Shartopuses, they've pledged a return to more serious sci-fi programming.  Ok, that's great and all, but maybe should have started with something a bit less ambitious?  Good luck guys.

http://screenrant.com/hyperion-tv-series-syfy/

Caruthers612

OK, y'all, serious literature time. I finished H is for Hawk last night, by Helen Macdonald, and am here to tell you I was blown away--and then some. Its nature is my favorite kind of literature--internal, contemplative, poetic, transformative. If you want to take a break from lighter fare and go on a journey within, pick this one up. By the way, if you're into audiobooks like me, the author herself reads the edition you can find on Audible, and as it turns out has the perfect voice for it. I lay there for ten hours entranced.

NightsAtSea

Quote from: whoozit on September 12, 2015, 01:48:00 PM
What did you think of Armada?

I really enjoyed it, but in order to do that I had to root myself firmly in 'brain candy' mode. In other words, this isn't a book I found to be intellectually stimulating or a carefully crafted literary masterpiece. Yes, like Ready Player One it never laid off the nostalgic 80s references - but I LOVE that. If Ernest Cline wrote a book wherein every line was just a quote from a song or flick from the 80s, I would read it. And yes, the plot borrows heavily from things like Ender's Game and The Last Starfighter. But it isn't like he was trying to 'get away' with it...he says several times through the book: 'Gee, this reminds me of Ender's Game!' So I can see where people have complaints, but I personally just shut off the more intense, analytical parts of my brain and enjoyed it as I would a popcorn flick.

On the other hand, today I finished Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll (2015)...boy was that a difficult read. Well written, just...rough. Jeez.

zeebo

Old Man's War by John Scalzi.  Interesing sci-fi premise, good world-building, and accessible, entertaining writing style.  Elements of Heinlein's Starship Troopers but with several twists.  I think it's slightly overrated, but still very good.  Worth a read.

Quote from: zeebo on September 17, 2015, 11:18:52 PM
Old Man's War by John Scalzi.  Interesing sci-fi premise, good world-building, and accessible, entertaining writing style.  Elements of Heinlein's Starship Troopers but with several twists.  I think it's slightly overrated, but still very good.  Worth a read.

Scalzi is a lot of fun! You should keep going and read the rest of the series, zeebo! I also recommend The Android's Dream and Agent to the Stars.  Cheers!

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 18, 2015, 12:28:05 AM
Scalzi is a lot of fun! You should keep going and read the rest of the series, zeebo! I also recommend The Android's Dream and Agent to the Stars.  Cheers!

Thanks RGG, considering you once wisely recommended The Anubis Gates, which I loved, I shall follow your recommendation. 

NightsAtSea

Just finished Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari (2015). I have to admit, I picked this book up more because I like Aziz Ansari than because I was super interested in learning about modern romance. The book bored me in places, but overall pleasantly surprised me with its readability - which stemmed directly from Ansari's humor and immense charm on the page.

Quote from: zeebo on September 18, 2015, 12:45:47 AM
Thanks RGG, considering you once wisely recommended The Anubis Gates, which I loved, I shall follow your recommendation.

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed! He just published the latest installment in the series, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.  Scalzi is also a heck of a nice guy.  He did a reading at a bookstore in my town last year, and was about as down to earth as it gets. 

Have you read The Company series by Kage Baker?  That wound up being my summer reading list thanks to a recommendation, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  She reminds me a little of Scalzi, especially the way she blends serious and zany, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was an influence on his style.

Have a great weekend!  Any progress on getting back to playing your guitar? 

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 18, 2015, 01:29:48 PM
...Have you read The Company series by Kage Baker?  That wound up being my summer reading list thanks to a recommendation, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  She reminds me a little of Scalzi, especially the way she blends serious and zany, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was an influence on his style.

Hmm nope I wasn't aware of that series ...  I'll check it out!

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 18, 2015, 01:29:48 PM
...Any progress on getting back to playing your guitar?

Thanks for asking!  This damn tendonitis has taken like 6 mos. to *almost* heal.  Since each time I injure my elbow it takes longer to heal, I decided this time I wouldn't go near a guitar until it's totally pain-free and I've learned how to hold the neck smarter and I've invested in a new guitar with a lighter/smaller neck, so my ol' paws don't mess me up this time.  Thing is, noodling around on guitar is one of may main stress relievers, but, being creative, I've temporarily substituted it with blowing up mutants in Fallout New Vegas.   :D

Quote from: zeebo on September 18, 2015, 03:34:44 PM
Thing is, noodling around on guitar is one of may main stress relievers, but, being creative, I've temporarily substituted it with blowing up mutants in Fallout New Vegas.   :D

No wonder your tendonitis won't heal!    ;D

NightsAtSea

I just finished You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day (2015). Absolutely loved it.

whoozit

Just read The Martian by Andy Weir cover to cover today.  Excellent book as noted by other posts.

Just read The Short-Timers and I'm 2/3rds of the way through The Phantom Blooper by Gustav Hasford.

The Short-Timers was amazing. Most engrossing book I've read in years. I finished it in one setting. Hasford has a magnificent gift for direct sardonic writing that I find completely addicting. The Short-Timers was the book the film Full Metal Jacket was based on and it's every bit the crazy mindfuck you'd expect.

The Phantom Blooper is the sequel to The Short-Timers. It isn't as good in my opinion but once you get hooked on Hasford's writing style and characters, you can't put it down.

NightsAtSea

I've just read The Girl in the Glass by Jeffrey Ford (2005)

trostol

currently reading Jurassic Park..yes old but i never read it before my recent run of JP stuff

have a book by Patrick Rothfuss i have been debating on returning to

also found an omnibus of  S Andrew Swann's Moreau series that i have never heard about i might give a go

Skunk Ape

Quote from: whoozit on September 27, 2015, 02:32:00 PM
Just read The Martian by Andy Weir cover to cover today.  Excellent book as noted by other posts.

Finished it yesterday, listened to the audiobook at work and read at home.

Going to see the movie tonight.

MABUSE

With our favorite season upon us, I gotta give a plug to a great horror collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Homages-H-R-Arswyd-ebook/dp/B00O3PPENQ

There is a C2C inspired story in there that is GREAT!!!!!
Check it out!
**M**

zeebo

Just got around to reading the first five chapters of The Martian.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get all the hype.  I'm sorry but to me it reads less like fiction and more like a giant run-on word problem.

e.g ... You have to do X but only if you do Y first, but that would create this side-effect Z, which in turn can be crudely managed by augmenting how you're doing X in the first place, and it's all based on some formula from high-school chemistry and some basic electronics knowledge, etc.

I mean clearly alot of thought went into the details, and there's some interesting technical ingenuity at work, but this feels more like a textbook than a story.  And the tone of the main character is pretty shallow for a guy in that situation.  I have the feeling this may be the rare case where the movie's better than the book.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: zeebo on November 10, 2015, 06:35:45 AM
I have the feeling this may be the rare case where the movie's better than the book.

I think it happens more than we realise. It's just that the source material is some crummy old novel that nobody has heard of. The books that make poor films are usually great books that simply don't convert to another medium. Dickens works well because he was always thinking in terms of a stage picture (and they were often adapted for the theatre during his lifetime anyway) but with most other major writers there is a distinct trade-off. Not that it's a novel, but I think most people would prefer to see 'Lawrence of Arabia' than read 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom', for example. Also, the novel that Blade Runner was based on is a total abortion that has (thankfully) very little to do with the original text. And count yourself lucky if you have not read the Godfather novel by Mario Puzo. It has so many tedious digressions in it that it is untrue. He actually spent ages going on about a minor character who had an unusually large vagina (cue mime from 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'), who hooks up with a plastic surgeon, who then gets her an operation so that he can fuck her. We get all of this in great detail too. Amazingly, that didn't feature in the film!