• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

USAF Computer crash wipes out 10 years of IG CASE FILES

Started by GravitySucks, June 15, 2016, 12:02:02 AM

GravitySucks

This is unforgivable if there are no database backups. 10 years of Inspector General Case Files???

You have to be kidding me.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/u-s-air-force-computer-crash-wipes-out-a-decade-of-data/

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 15, 2016, 12:02:02 AM
This is unforgivable if there are no database backups. 10 years of Inspector General Case Files???

You have to be kidding me.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/u-s-air-force-computer-crash-wipes-out-a-decade-of-data/
This is unbelievable. I'm increasingly not buying into foreign hackers, failed servers, mistakes in backups, or general government incompetence in all of this technical computer failures, released information to hackers/terrorists, "missing" emails and records, etc. And "the database, run by Lockheed Martin?" Fox guarding the hen-house?

WOTR

WTF? I have a friend with around 5TB of pirated anime.  Want to guess how much his backup drives hold?  Yup... 5TB.

How the hell does anybody in todays age of cheap storage (to the point where the pentagon will hold onto every scrap of data you put across the internet or phone system for the next century) allow this to happen?

I'm not prone to conspiracy theories... But they needed something to "disappear."  Somebody filed the wrong access to information paperwork and the database had to go... How else am I supposed to believe it?

Dyna-X

Quote from: WOTR on June 16, 2016, 12:18:36 AM
WTF? I have a friend with around 5TB of pirated anime.  Want to guess how much his backup drives hold?  Yup... 5TB.

How the hell does anybody in todays age of cheap storage (to the point where the pentagon will hold onto every scrap of data you put across the internet or phone system for the next century) allow this to happen?

I'm not prone to conspiracy theories... But they needed something to "disappear."  Somebody filed the wrong access to information paperwork and the database had to go... How else am I supposed to believe it?

On the conspiracy side, deleting a handfull of files is going to cause less scrutiny (if any) than losing 10 years of data from the IG.  Part of me wonders just how effective the letter agency data collection is or whether it is mostly a facade designed to keep the masses in line that also fills pockets with billions of dollars. Collecting the data is one thing. Storing such a mass of data and keeping it correlated, searchable, and developing an intelligence product is another.

Back to topic - not having a backup drive in the world of defense, inexcusable...

albrecht

Quote from: Dyna-X on June 16, 2016, 10:03:26 AM
On the conspiracy side, deleting a handfull of files is going to cause less scrutiny (if any) than losing 10 years of data from the IG. 

Back to topic - not having a backup drive in the world of defense, inexcusable...
"the database, run by Lockheed Martin." Maybe there were some on-going investigations into some Lockheed-Martin bids or projects?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2016, 05:05:42 PM
"the database, run by Lockheed Martin." Maybe there were some on-going investigations into some Lockheed-Martin bids or projects?

A DoD support contractor with a conflict of interest?  That never happens, does it?

steelbot

Just for the record - I've been retired, and had nothing to do with this, on a better note - look at this shiny flashy thing, and don't..

WOTR

Quote from: steelbot on September 10, 2016, 01:44:19 AM
Just for the record - I've been retired, and had nothing to do with this, on a better note - look at this shiny flashy thing, and don't..

I thought you were MIA?  So you were busy deleting hard drives all that time?

Good to see you back.