• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

The Furies (1950) by Hal B. Wallis and Anthony Mann is a superb Western production that I watched the other day for the first time.  It marks a transition for director Mann from film noirs to Westerns.  It is photographed beautifully in the B & W noir style by Victor Milner.  The Furies stars Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Huston and Wendell Corey and it is basically a family saga reminiscent of such films as Gone With The Wind and in particular Duel In The Sun.
     Walter Huston as T. C. Jeffords is the patriarch of the Jeffords clan and Stanwyck is his daughter, Vance (?) Jeffords.  John Bromfield is her brother, Clay.  T. C. is a widower and Vance is the light of his life.  He has just come back from an extended vacation and Vance has been running the ranch,  The Furies, for him.  She is going to be given the ranch when T. C. dies and she means to have it at all costs.  Her best friend is Juan Herrera (Gilbert Roland), a squatter who resides on The Furies along with his mother and brothers.  Other squatter families also live on the land. He's in love with Vance but she just sees him as her best friend with no romantic feelings for him.
    A bank has loaned T. C. a $100,000 on the condition that the squatters have to be booted off the property.  Vance and T. C. agree to these conditions with the proviso that the Herreras can stay.  The bank agrees and Huston gets his loan. Meanwhile T.C. brings his girlfriend from San Francisco, Flo Burnett (Judith Anderson), to the ranch with hopes to marry her.  Flo has her sights set on the ranch and wants Vance taken out of the picture.  Vance is outraged that T. C. has brought this trollop onto the ranch and when she finds out Flo's plans, she loses her temper and throws scissors at Flo's face, scarring Flo for life.  T. C. disowns Vance and she has to leave.  Vance, not taking this well, vows revenge and when T. C. hangs her friend, Juan, for stealing a horse, her love for her father turns to hate.
    She is determined to take the ranch out from under him and with the help of banker/gambler Rip Darrow (Corey) who she happens to love, they succeed.  I won't give away the ending but it s tragic. 
     Definitely elements of Shakespeare reside in this story and Mann was very fond of Shakespeare.  He had hopes to make a western version of King Lear but it never got off the ground.  Nevertheless, most of Mann's films have Shakespearean elements.  What differentiates this movie from other Mann westerns is the fact that Stanwyck is undoubtedly a good person with some minor flaws.  Most of the main characters, usually men,  in other Mann westerns are anti-hero types.  I suppose Huston and Corey's characters have this trait as well but again they are basically good men.  Huston delivers what may be my favorite performance outside of The Treasure of The Sierra Madre and The Devil And Daniel Webster.  His performance is vivacious and full of life.  I think he should have been nominated for this role.  Stanwyck does a stellar job as well. There is an undercurrent of incest in the father/daughter relationship.  Her jealousy of Flo and Huston's need for Vance to massage his back routinely.
  While maybe not the best of the Mann westerns, it is a highly neglected masterpiece.  Available from the Criterion Collection on DVD and if you buy it, you get a copy of the book by Niven Busch that the film is based on.  4.25 stars out of 5.

A postscript.   Walter Huston died suddenly of an aortic aneurysm about 2 months after the film wrapped and before its release.  A fine film to end his career with.

TigerLily

Nice review, 21.  Always great to stumble into a great discovery like that.  Haven't had a chance yet to watch one of the Westerns yet but have caught a couple of Carradine's intros or outros.

Quote from: TigerLily on July 05, 2016, 01:40:04 PM
Do tell

Errol had quite the appetite for young girls and, many say, young boys. Not to mention a few older fellas. He did..Truman Capote, for God`s sake! It should also be noted that ol`Errol`s crib on Mullholland Drive was a veritable playhouse of voyeuristic perversion, complete with numerous 2-way mirrors and secret peepholes. But, hey, that`s Hollyweird for ya.

ge30542

I should view other threads more often, rather than looking only at the AB thread.
SHIZAAM, Classic Movies! This is right up my alley.
10% of my TV viewing is reality shows, 20% sports, and 70% Turner Classic Channel, (where's Robert Osborne?).

ge30542

Let me read from page one, and get caught up on this thread.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 07, 2016, 01:07:13 PM
Errol had quite the appetite for young girls and, many say, young boys. Not to mention a few older fellas. He did..Truman Capote, for God`s sake! It should also be noted that ol`Errol`s crib on Mullholland Drive was a veritable playhouse of voyeuristic perversion, complete with numerous 2-way mirrors and secret peepholes. But, hey, that`s Hollyweird for ya.

Those gay stories are all bullshit rumors.  No substantiation behind them.  The stories I read where Errol engaged in sex in near public places all had girls involved.  No boys.

ge30542

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 10:14:45 AM
Speaking of criminally underrated actors. Gary Oldman. ZERO Oscars. Need I say more?
Only up to page 3 of this thread, so forgive me if this had been mentioned, but watch Oldman in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"  2011.
Not a TCM Classic, but Oldman is great in this intense edge of your seat mystery. About a Soviet mole in British Intelligence during the early 70s. Also, see Oldman as Sid Vicious. (okay, back to page 3 for me)

ge30542

AMC Channel referenced previous page.
Robert Osborne started on AMC. He used to introduce their films. (Where is Robert?)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 01:05:44 PM
AMC Channel referenced previous page.
Robert Osborne started on AMC. He used to introduce their films. (Where is Robert?)

Yeah, I always liked his intros. They were very informative with lots of backstory.

ge30542

Yes classic movies. What about "Dancin' Movies"?
Fred, Ginger, Judy, Gene, Busby?
All old queens LOVE MGM musicals!
(old queen here) Musicals, and the NHL.

Quote from: TigerLily on July 07, 2016, 12:30:56 AM
Nice review, 21.  Always great to stumble into a great discovery like that.  Haven't had a chance yet to watch one of the Westerns yet but have caught a couple of Carradine's intros or outros.

Yes it is and thanks, TigerLily. Means a lot coming from you.  This one might be more appealing to females.  It is about as close to a chick flick as a Western can get.  Chick flicks in those days were generally great films so I am by no means using the term in a derogatory way.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 01:13:41 PM
Yes it is and thanks, TigerLily. Means a lot coming from you.  This one might be more appealing to females.  It is about as close to a chick flick as a Western can get.  Chick flicks in those days were generally great films so I am by no means using the term in a derogatory way.

Yeah, back then I don't think they were test-marketing films and trying to demographically target to the degree many do today, if they did at all. Most of my favorite films aren't put together by committee though but are the result of vision of one person: the director. Of course, two or three people working closely together with the director (a writer, producer and cinematographer) often greatly contribute to the overall shape and direction of the outcome but the director is, ultimately, responsible for the film.

Quote from: ge30542 on July 07, 2016, 11:43:15 PM
Only up to page 3 of this thread, so forgive me if this had been mentioned, but watch Oldman in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"  2011.
Not a TCM Classic, but Oldman is great in this intense edge of your seat mystery. About a Soviet mole in British Intelligence during the early 70s. Also, see Oldman as Sid Vicious. (okay, back to page 3 for me)

Watch the Alec Guinness version of the story from the 80's.  It was a miniseries and much longer and more faithful to Le Carre's book.  Guinness also starred as the same character later in the 80's in Smiley's People, another  Le Carre book that was adapted as a miniseries.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 08, 2016, 01:24:48 PM
Yeah, back then I don't think they were test-marketing films and trying to demographically target to the degree many do today, if they did at all. Most of my favorite films aren't put together by committee though but are the result of vision of one person: the director. Of course, two or three people working closely together with the director (a writer, producer and cinematographer) often greatly contribute to the overall shape and direction of the outcome but the director is, ultimately, responsible for the film.

Right.  I can't stand the micro-marketing of today's films.  Why not just try and make a good movie that does well with most demographics?  Instead they go out of the way to make a teen movie, a macho action flick or a chick flick.  It's gotten ridiculous.

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 01:10:16 PM
Yes classic movies. What about "Dancin' Movies"?
Fred, Ginger, Judy, Gene, Busby?
All old queens LOVE MGM musicals!
(old queen here) Musicals, and the NHL.

Busby yes and Fred and Ginger too but not really a fan of the MGM musical.  Too much fluff for me but then I'm not a queen.

ge30542

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 01:33:54 PM
Busby yes and Fred and Ginger too but not really a fan of the MGM musical.  Too much fluff for me but then I'm not a queen.
That made me chuckle 21st, "I'm not a queen". Very funny, point taken, record noted. lol

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 01:56:19 PM
That made me chuckle 21st, "I'm not a queen". Very funny, point taken, record noted. lol

LOL.  I'm glad I was able to make someone laugh on this day of all days.  :D ;)

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 01:26:23 PM
Watch the Alec Guinness version of the story from the 80's.  It was a miniseries and much longer and more faithful to Le Carre's book.  Guinness also starred as the same character later in the 80's in Smiley's People, another  Le Carre book that was adapted as a miniseries.
I agree, the BBC mini-serieses were much better. Too much information in Le Carre books to fit into the standard 2hr movie. Heck, this applies to many things and I like mini-series because, unlike tv shows, they end but still long enough to get into more details and character.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on July 08, 2016, 02:02:50 PM
I agree, the BBC mini-serieses were much better. Too much information in Le Carre books to fit into the standard 2hr movie. Heck, this applies to many things and I like mini-series because, unlike tv shows, they end but still long enough to get into more details and character.

More agreement here.  Other examples of BBC mini > movie are:  Pride and Prejudice, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote from: albrecht on July 08, 2016, 02:02:50 PM

I also really like Oldman's work but I love Alec Guinness so I'm biased in that respect.

ge30542

Totally out of left field, but wasn't Greer Carson a sexy woman?  Loved her with Pidgeon, in all that they did, especially Mrs Miniver. Also, she and Ronald Coleman in Random Harvest. He had the most perfect speaking voice, they said at that time. Martin Short dies a great Ronald Coleman.

ge30542

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 02:39:42 PM
Totally out of left field, but wasn't Greer Garson a sexy woman?  Loved her with Pidgeon, in all that they did, especially Mrs Miniver. Also, she and Ronald Coleman in Random Harvest. He had the most perfect speaking voice, they said at that time. Martin Short dies a great Ronald Coleman.

ge30542

Well shit, I've quoted myself while trying to change Carson to Garson.
Sorry.

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 02:39:42 PM
Totally out of left field, but wasn't Greer Carson a sexy woman?  Loved her with Pidgeon, in all that they did, especially Mrs Miniver. Also, she and Ronald Coleman in Random Harvest. He had the most perfect speaking voice, they said at that time. Martin Short dies a great Ronald Coleman.

I love Ronald Colman.  He is one of my favorites.  The Tale Of Two Cities and Lost Horizon are two of my favorite films.  I've also seen a number of his silents which are also great.  It is regrettable that he can't speak in those films though.

Greer Garson was a great actress but I never considered her sexy.  She was a striking woman but a little too matronly to my eyes.  She never played a bad girl that I know of and that is something I'd like to see.

Quote from: ge30542 on July 08, 2016, 02:42:11 PM
Well shit, I've quoted myself while trying to change Carson to Garson.
Sorry.

I won't tell.  We all mess up from time to time.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on July 08, 2016, 02:11:49 PM
More agreement here.  Other examples of BBC mini > movie are:  Pride and Prejudice, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
BBC recently had a good production mini-series of "And Then There Were None" though some folks had a problem with the ending the production, location, acting etc were really good.

Quote from: albrecht on July 08, 2016, 02:48:43 PM
BBC recently had a good production mini-series of "And Then There Were None" though some folks had a problem with the ending the production, location, acting etc were really good.

I enjoyed it.  It was nice to see the story go back to the original setting.  I have a soft spot for 10 Little Indians from '65 but I'd like to see a restored version of the '45 version with Walter Huston.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 02:56:13 PM
I enjoyed it.  It was nice to see the story go back to the original setting.  I have a soft spot for 10 Little Indians from '65 but I'd like to see a restored version of the '45 version with Walter Huston.
Can you imagine Obama and BLM if the book or film was released under the original title? Haha. Not classic, yet, but I think some of the British modern tv Holmes and Christie stuff is excellent (Jeremy Brett as Holmes and David Suchet as Poirot in particular. Don't like this latest modern version of Sherlock at all though.)

Quote from: albrecht on July 08, 2016, 03:05:31 PM
Can you imagine Obama and BLM if the book or film was released under the original title? Haha. Not classic, yet, but I think some of the British modern tv Holmes and Christie stuff is excellent (Jeremy Brett as Holmes and David Suchet as Poirot in particular. Don't like this latest modern version of Sherlock at all though.)

Nope.  Cumberbatch's mannerisms annoy me after a while.  He's good in small doses.  I confess I haven't seen much of Brett's work though I probably will soon.  I felt like I was betraying Basil Rathbone if I watched it.

I'd like to get a copy of the first British edition of that book just to have it.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 08, 2016, 03:11:13 PM
Nope.  Cumberbatch's mannerisms annoy me after a while.  He's good in small doses.  I confess I haven't seen much of Brett's work though I probably will soon.  I felt like I was betraying Basil Rathbone if I watched it.

I'd like to get a copy of the first British edition of that book just to have it.
I felt that way also at first but Jeremy Brett really does a good job and good production values and casting. Worth watching (even though by now you pretty much know the endings.) Of course Rathbone will alway be the best but Brett is a close second. Do not like Cumberbatch and don't like the new version. Didn't even attempt to watch this latest US version where he is a she.

I'll bet a first edition goes for big $. On that subject I've heard that they are doing a remake of the great movie "Dam Busters," dog to be renamed.