• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

zeebo

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 15, 2016, 08:34:39 PM
... Jack Lemmon to me is one of the most criminally underrated actors. The guy is absolute music any time he's on the screen. I can watch him in anything...

I loved him as "Professor Fate" in "The Great Race" (1965).

TigerLily

Jack Lemmon. Need I say more? Some of his movies with great performances that come to mind

The Great Race; Some Like it Hot; Mister Roberts; Irma La Douce; The Odd Couple; The Apartment;  The Fortune Cookie; Days of Wine and Roses; China Syndrome

Just for starters. How many others I didn't think of? Oh. Bell, Book and Candle. I'm sure there's more

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on June 15, 2016, 11:55:41 PM
Reading the great comments on 70s movies (I've never seen Sorcerer.  Sounds really good), the first movie that popped in my head is Dog Day Afternoon.  An overall great movie; tense, funny, sad with a tour de force performance by Al Pacino. Also has that gritty 70s New York atmosphere that I imagine how it may have really been.

Hey, I thought the theme was classic movies, as in, oh, let's say anything prior to 1965 or so; or, are we turning this into a free for all of whatever we consider "classic?" I'm good with either. I just want to know what the parameters are here.  ;)

Also, this could be the perfect Bellgab movie for those coming off an all night trollfest.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk8QkYgz8QM

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2016, 12:07:19 AM
One of my fave classics, The Hustler (1961).  Great cast, story, pacing, heart.  Dark, gritty, unflinching.  They just don't make movies like this anymore.

This is going to be on TCM in July.

ItsOver

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 12:42:20 AM
Jack Lemmon. Need I say more? Some of his movies with great performances that come to mind

The Great Race; Some Like it Hot; Mister Roberts; Irma La Douce; The Odd Couple; The Apartment;  The Fortune Cookie; Days of Wine and Roses; China Syndrome

Just for starters. How many others I didn't think of? Oh. Bell, Book and Candle. I'm sure there's more
Ah, "Days of Wine and Roses."  Lemmon was terrific, matched with Lee Remick, another stunning lady for all time.  I've recently DVR'd "Experiment in Terror" and enjoy it immensely.  A tremendous production with Ms. Remick a beautiful focus of the film.  Glenn Ford is excellent as the FBI agent working her case and Ross Martin, of Artemus Gordon fame, is perfect as the bad guy.  Speaking of Remick, I also enjoy "Anatomy of Murder," where Lee plays the temptress to the tee.  Even Jimmy Stewart was getting steamed-up.

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 01:37:04 AM
Hey, I thought the theme was classic movies, as in, oh, let's say anything prior to 1965 or so; or, are we turning this into a free for all of whatever we consider "classic?" I'm good with either. I just want to know what the parameters are here.  ;)

Also, this could be the perfect Bellgab movie for those coming off an all night trollfest.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk8QkYgz8QM

Uh ... no parameters that I know of. And no one "owns" this thread. Let anarchy reign  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 07:56:54 AM
Uh ... no parameters that I know of. And no one "owns" this thread. Let anarchy reign  ;)
Ha!  This IS BellGab, after all.  All hail, MV!

Salute often.

TigerLily

Here's an "oldie" for you. My favorite gangster movie. 1932 "Scarface"

It's a tense, fast paced pre-code movie that puts the bloated 1980s re-make to shame.  Paul Muni is a powerhouse as the barely civilized Tony Camonte. Iconic coin-flipping gangster George Raft. Ann Dvorak, Karen Morrow and even Boris Karloff

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 14, 2016, 09:49:05 PM
Thanks, GS.  :D

I thought about starting it but I was afraid MV would merge it with that other "I watched a movie" thread.  Please don't do that MV.

TCM is my default TV channel too.  Love noir too.  One of my favorites is a half-comedy, half-serious noir called His Kind of Woman with Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell and Vincent Price providing comic relief.

I absolutely adore this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smdt0wGkrfg

I LOVE me some Vinnie Price. I know this will sound odd, but my favorite film of his is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPgXDWMB-Q.

It`s so incredibly eerie and the character is so desperate.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 12:42:20 AM

Hey there, here's one with Jack at his exasperated, funny best (and Sandy Dennis perfect as his deadpan foil): The Out of Towners (1970).

Well, I`ve said a number of times, I believe the greatest film ever made is The Searchers with John Ford producing; starring Duke Wayne, Jeff Hunter, Ward Bond, and a young Nat Wood, and Vera Miles and..on and on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2AZb04HAc

Quote from: Étouffée on June 16, 2016, 09:32:39 AM
Hey there, here's one with Jack at his exasperated, funny best (and Sandy Dennis perfect as his deadpan foil): The Out of Towners (1970).

OMG my favorite comedy of all time! I think it`s that film that has kept me from NYC. No desire to go. Jack Lemon at his very best.

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 09:31:27 AM
I LOVE me some Vinnie Price. I know this will sound odd, but my favorite film of his is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuPgXDWMB-Q.

It`s so incredibly eerie and the character is so desperate.
What a coincidence!  You are dead-on, FTF.  I was digging around my DVDs a few nights ago on a stormy night and found it.  Vincent at his best!  The one-and-only, as far as I'm concerned, "The Last Man on Earth."  Sure, it's an Italian flick with some awkward Italian dialogue but the black-and-white atmosphere and eerie music, with the performance of Price, overrides it all.  "Walking Dead," "Night of the Living Dead," et al, you owe it all to this Vincent Price classic, derived from Matheson's literary masterpiece.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 16, 2016, 09:56:10 AM
What a coincidence!  You are dead-on, FTF.  I was digging around my DVDs a few nights ago on a stormy night and found it.  Vincent at his best!  The one-and-only, as far as I'm concerned, "The Last Man on Earth."  Sure, it's an Italian flick with some awkward Italian dialogue but the black-and-white atmosphere and eerie music, with the performance of Price, overrides it all.  "Walking Dead," "Night of the Living Dead," et al, you owe it all to this Vincent Price classic, derived from Matheson's literary masterpiece.

Well, sir, it is an established fact, that you are, indeed, a man of remarkable taste.

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 15, 2016, 08:34:39 PM
That movie is absolutely fantastic. Jack Lemmon to me is one of the most criminally underrated actors. The guy is absolute music any time he's on the screen. I can watch him in anything.

For me, I would make the case there's different eras but my definition of classic film is anytime before the digital age which to me began in the mid-90s. I know that's not a very good definition. But I want films like Hoffa, Bugsy and the last of the great pre-CGI movies in the conversation.

Speaking of criminally underrated actors. Gary Oldman. ZERO Oscars. Need I say more?

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 10:09:20 AM
Well, sir, it is an established fact, that you are, indeed, a man of remarkable taste.
"Thank yeeewww!"

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 10:14:45 AM
Speaking of criminally underrated actors. Gary Oldman. ZERO Oscars. Need I say more?
I watched "Hannibal" several times before I discovered it was Mr. Oldman beneath all the the make-up required for Mason Verger.  That performance, alone, should have been acknowledged with an Oscar, IMHO.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 14, 2016, 09:51:21 PM
Except for the relatively new flicks, I may shift my reviews to this thread as it is more appropriate.

I hope you do  :) 

I love silent movies too.  Let's see. Some of my favorites:  Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (I think I have the title right), Wings, Flesh and the Devil, Sunrise, The General, anything with Charlie Chaplin. Many more

TigerLily

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 10:14:45 AM

He's one of those actors that immerse in the role so much, he disappears. Not too many others have that capacity.  Paul Muni, Meryl Streep, Daniel Day-Lewis

I watch this movie almost every year around Halloween

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 07:56:54 AM

Who said anything about "owning?" I just wanted to know if the discussion was classic movies or just movies in general. A lot of the time if a song I hear or a movie I see is good enough I'll think, "Instant classic!" Like this:

(Warning: this is not an upbeat, "feel good" movie but a work of genius)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIizh6nYnTU

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 12:16:03 PM
Who said anything about "owning?" I just wanted to know if the discussion was classic movies or just movies in general. A lot of the time if a song I hear or a movie I see is good enough I'll think, "Instant classic!" Like this:

(Warning: this is not an upbeat, "feel good" movie but a work of genius)

Well, it does say "Classic" in the title, so... define classic as you wish, I guess. My vote anyway

Dr. MD MD

Speaking of genius, this is probably my favorite Japanese movie of all time. Enjoy the noodles!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH1VOF0lpBY

This is part 1. The video should contain a link to part 2 at the end.  ;)

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 11:42:25 AM
He's one of those actors that immerse in the role so much, he disappears. Not too many others have that capacity.  Paul Muni, Meryl Streep, Daniel Day-Lewis

I watch this movie almost every year around Halloween

One of the truly great romance movies of all time. I rate it right up there with The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Gene Tierney *swoon*.

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2016, 12:25:40 AM
I loved him as "Professor Fate" in "The Great Race" (1965).

Absolutely my favorite Jack Lemmon movie.  He is funny as hell in that.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 08:35:37 AM
Here's an "oldie" for you. My favorite gangster movie. 1932 "Scarface"

It's a tense, fast paced pre-code movie that puts the bloated 1980s re-make to shame.  Paul Muni is a powerhouse as the barely civilized Tony Camonte. Iconic coin-flipping gangster George Raft. Ann Dvorak, Karen Morrow and even Boris Karloff

I think that may be my favorite gangster movie as well.  Love the chemistry between Dvorak and Muni.  Incest is not mentioned but heavily implied between the 2.  I love Ann Dvorak.  She was simply a wonderful actress and deserved a higher profile career.  After the pre-codes, her career was rather marginal.  I suppose it was her fight with Warners that sabotaged her career.  She did make some great movies every now and then afterwards but they were few and far between.

Check out Three On A Match (1932) with Dvorak, Joan Blondell, Bette Davis,Ann Shirley, Warren William, Lyle Talbot and a young Bogart in an early gangster role.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 09:38:40 AM
Well, I`ve said a number of times, I believe the greatest film ever made is The Searchers with John Ford producing; starring Duke Wayne, Jeff Hunter, Ward Bond, and a young Nat Wood, and Vera Miles and..on and on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2AZb04HAc

It has slowly become one of my favorites of all time.  I wasn't so fond of it when I first watched it but then I watched it again and again and again.  It got better with each viewing and it may well be the masterpiece of Ford and Wayne's career and one of the masterpieces of film-making ever.  I cry at the end of it now.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 01:05:20 PM
Speaking of genius, this is probably my favorite Japanese movie of all time. Enjoy the noodles!:

I remember liking that a long time ago, will have to watch again.  I'd have to pick Ran (1985) as my fave from Japan.  Totally heavy, but amazing cinematography and storytelling.  I don't want to derail this into an anime thread, but would have to add at least one Miyazaki movie - and for me it would be Spirited Away (2001).

Quote from: ItsOver on June 16, 2016, 09:56:10 AM

I've only watched it once or twice and it has been a long time.  I think it does capture the essence of I Am Legend better than any subsequent film though I am fond of The Omega Man.  That one gave me nightmares as a kid.  I dreamed Anthony Zerbe was peering through my bedroom window wanting to turn me into one of them.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 11:21:13 AM
I hope you do  :) 

I love silent movies too.  Let's see. Some of my favorites:  Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (I think I have the title right), Wings, Flesh and the Devil, Sunrise, The General, anything with Charlie Chaplin. Many more

I love Four Horseman of The Apocalypse by Irish director, Rex Ingram.   If you get a chance, watch his silent opus, The Magician (1926), which is based on Somerset Maugham's book loosely based on Aleister Crowley.  James Whale had to have seen this movie.  It foreshadows his Frankenstein with creepy castle and scientific experiments.  Ingram was a marvelous MGM director who butted heads with Louis B. Mayer and lost the fight and his career ended shortly after sound movies became the norm.  There is a rather kinky Hell sequence in the film.  With Paul Wegener (The Golem) and Alice Terry, Ingram's wife.  Look for future British auteur, Michael Powell, as the man with the balloon during the snake-charming sequence.  He served as Ingram's second unit director during the last half of the '20's.

I have to confess I haven't seen 3 of the 4 you mentioned though I have copies of them on blu-ray and dvd.  I will watch some of them soon.  I want something to savor.  I have seen the General and it is Keaton at his best.