Author Topic: Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.  (Read 11640 times)

Re: Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:49 PM »
A typical glamour style postcard.  It was never used as a postcard so there is no date on it.  I did locate a reference to the name 'Plastichrome' on the back.  I guess it's a style of photo printing that was first developed back in 1939 and is still being used to this day.  Still don't know how old it is but it has kind of a fifties vibe, to me anyway.

front

back

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
Here we have the Bowling Green Lodges and Restaurant postcard.  Bowling Green, Vermont, that is, not Kentucky.  Oddly enough there is currently a Bowling Green Lodge restaurant in Kentucky but not in Vermont.  This postcard actually has a listing in Wiki:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bowling_Green_Lodges_and_Restaurant,_Route_301_--_10_Miles_South,_Bowling_Green,_Virginia_(90696).jpg  Info indicates that the postcard was printed sometime between 1930 and 1945.  Hard to say really because if we look at the postmark on the back, we will see the date January 7, 1960. 

I had no luck in finding info on the restaurant's owners, Mr. and Mrs. Noah G. Teates, other than where their final resting spots are.  Noah Grove Teates and his wife Edna are buried together in Grace United Methodist Church Cemetery in Somerville, Fauquier County, Virginia.

It would have been a funky place to have stopped for lodgings and eats.

« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »
Here is the beautiful Hotel De Soto (or DeSoto) in Savanah, Georgia.  It looks to be quite a grand old place and I am happy to report that it is still there, and still a hotel, at that.  I didn't find much info on the history of the hotel but I did read that it has been renovated a couple of times.  The Hotel Desoto has its own website but my anti-virus program keeps trying to block it.

That WTOC at the top of the building is still in existence too.  It is a television station (it was a radio station in earlier days, note the kilocycles notation on the sign) and they have their own website: http://www.wtoc.com/

front

« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
Here is the beautiful Hotel De Soto (or DeSoto) in Savanah, Georgia.  It looks to be quite a grand old place and I am happy to report that it is still there, and still a hotel, at that.  I didn't find much info on the history of the hotel but I did read that it has been renovated a couple of times.  The Hotel Desoto has its own website but my anti-virus program keeps trying to block it.

That WTOC at the top of the building is still in existence too.  It is a television station (it was a radio station in earlier days, note the kilocycles notation on the sign) and they have their own website: http://www.wtoc.com/

front
Site worked for me. Doesn't seem like I got a virus or bot? Hotel and area looks nice. It is operated by Sotherly that operates several hotels, some of which are old/historic, in the South, mainly.
http://sotherlyhotels.com/

« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2018, 09:19:28 PM »
I like this vintage (somewhat vintage I guess, 1972) restaurant postcard because it shows two interior scenes, the dining room and the lounge of Cal's Restaurant in Sequim, Washington, up around Seattle, I think.  That's Cal in the bottom pic, playing a rollicking tune on his Flamenco guitar.  No, not really, but wait.  It could be Cal because there is absolutely no way of proving that it isn't him.  Yup, sad to say, there appears to be no trace whatsoever of either Cal or his restaurant.  I went through a bunch of Sequim restaurants, but no Cal's.  No detailed address on the card either, so I couldn't run a Google road check on the place to see if it had been turned into another eatery. 

But my time wasn't wasted because I came across a really cool place while looking for Cal's... The John Wayne Marina in Sequim Bay.  Yes, THAT John Wayne.  He had a big yacht called the Wild Goose and he actually boated around the area.  The marina itself wasn't built until after the actor's death.  Cool looking place.  It even has a restaurant.
https://portofpa.com/186/John-Wayne-Marina

I like how Jean noted on the bottom of the postcard that "This card is just an ad card."  I wonder what she meant by saying that she would be starting some round robins from July 1st to the 15th?

front

back

« Reply #245 on: Yesterday at 06:50:07 PM »
Here is a real-photo postcard of Paul Gottlieb at Camp Gordon on September 30, 1918.  I wonder if he was stationed stateside for the duration of WWI?  September 30th doesn't give him much time to make it to France, though quite a few soldiers were en route across the ocean when the armistice was signed.  I had no luck in finding any info about the guy.

front

« Reply #246 on: Yesterday at 07:14:26 PM »
Historic Long Beach, CA.

Now itís the home of the Long Beach Grand Prix. Notice the building with the green roof in both pics.