• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

whoozit

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 05:50:48 PM
:D

Quote from: Riley Martian on December 12, 2015, 05:20:48 PM
You are such a vagina, I bet many women don't get periods like you do. You are the definition of a sensitive little bitch. LOL!!!

I am glad he's got you spinning in your little wheels.  ;D

I hope you show this to your class.  It will be instructive for your students to see you accept certain ad hominem attacks and reject others depending on which side they favor.  If you claim to use logic in arguments please follow through and try not to fall into these little traps.

Gassy Man

Quote from: onan on December 12, 2015, 06:00:48 PM
I am glad you are financially rewarded. I hope you are secure with your family.
Now, that I appreciate.

Claudius

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 05:48:40 PM
The beauty is, with everything he posts, he just proves my point further.  I couldn't do a better job if I just made up examples.   :D
How dare you be educated!

Gassy Man

Quote from: whoozit on December 12, 2015, 06:02:02 PM
I hope you show this to your class.  It will be instructive for your students to see you accept certain ad hominem attacks and reject others depending on which side they favor.  If you claim to use logic in arguments please follow through and try not to fall into these little traps.
Not at all.  My response was to the bit about "I am glad he's got you . . ."  But, if that wasn't clear to someone looking for a way to attack me, I can go back and edit out the other bit for you.

whoozit

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:06:24 PM
Not at all.  My response was to the bit about "I am glad he's got you . . ."  But, if that wasn't clear to someone looking for way to attack me, I can go back and edit out the other bit for you.
No need to edit, I get it.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Claudius on December 12, 2015, 06:05:26 PM
How dare you be educated!
Right?  Of course, we deal with such shenanigans every day. 

Gassy Man

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 12, 2015, 06:09:28 PM
Good job of editing history. lol
Not at all.  It edited for clarity -- clearly, he didn't see what I was referring to.  Now he does.   In your case, though, nothing you would do except delete your commentary would change the personal attacks or other logical fallacies.   ;D

Gassy Man

Quote from: whoozit on December 12, 2015, 06:08:29 PM
No need to edit, I get it.
It's okay -- I fixed it so you can now see.  Whether or not you choose to accept that doesn't change it.   ;D

Ciardelo

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:11:32 PM
Not at all.  It edited for clarity -- clearly, he didn't see what I was referring to.  Now he does.   In your case, though, nothing you would do except delete your commentary would change the personal attacks or other logical fallacies.   ;D
Right. "For clarity" If observing you bitching and moaning is a personal attack, color me guilty.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 12, 2015, 06:13:32 PM
Right. "For clarity" If observing you bitching and moaning is a personal attack, color me guilty.
As before, your refusal to accept things does not validate your claims.  But keep illustrating for my students.  Like I said, you just make things easier for me with what you do in this regard.   ;D

Gassy Man

You guys are great -- seriously.  I couldn't ask for a better illustration of everything we discuss in class.  ;D

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:16:09 PM
You guys are great -- seriously.  I couldn't ask for a better illustration of everything we discuss in class.  ;D
I'm curious - do you teach these community college kids Sanctimony 101, or Advanced Studies in How to be Insufferable? 

Claudius

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:16:09 PM
Re reading your original post all you said was, she is way too inexperienced and MITD is not the right place for her. Outside of that you don't personally like her style of presentation.

To me that's not bitching and moaning so much as presenting points as to why you personally do not feel she is either very good or should have that job. And you're right, she comes from these forums and many people will defend her just because she is a nice person and comes from here.

Gassy Man

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on December 12, 2015, 06:24:56 PM
I'm curious - do you teach these community college kids Sanctimony 101, or Advanced Studies in How to be Insufferable?
Aw, another attempt at personal attack.  Keep playing.   ;D

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:28:43 PM
Aw, another attempt at personal attack.  Keep playing.   ;D
Yeah, just the 101 class...

Gassy Man

Quote from: Claudius on December 12, 2015, 06:26:42 PM
Re reading your original post all you said was, she is way too inexperienced and MITD is not the right place for her. Outside of that you don't personally like her style of presentation.

To me that's not bitching and moaning so much as presenting points as to why you personally do not feel she is either very good or should have that job. And you're right, she comes from these forums and many people will defend her just because she is a nice person and comes from here.
Exactly!  My point originally was to comment on what the thread is about, and it was about Heather's skills and qualifications, not about her personally nor anyone else.  Things didn't get personal until the first guy jumped in about being jealous.   But that's the standard tactic when people don't really have a thoughtful argument.  It's the adult version of childish namecalling, a diversion from the emptiness of their reasoning, which is why it's a logical fallacy.  Such tactics only work when people either A) Try to gang up on someone, as though bullying equates to reasoning, or B) The person they attack doesn't know any better.  I do. 

In the end, though, it doesn't invalidate anything I said in this thread.  My pride is not hurt in any way.  Using logical fallacies doesn't prove anything on their part.  What I do get out of it, though, is what I posted.  So, the beauty is I win either way. 

Usually what follows is some other logical fallacy, by the way.  It could be another straw man -- "Well, in 1998, you said . . . ." -- as though that invalidates anything written in this thread, or failure to accept the burden of proof -- "Well, I just don't think . . . " or whatever.  Doesn't change anything that happened here.   ;D

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 05:46:03 PM
Actually, no, it doesn't bother me.  It is what it is.  Part of the reason people like me can make money is because of people like you.   ;D  If you didn't do such a poor job of reasoning, things would work better than they do, and if they worked better, there wouldn't be a need to pay someone like me to help fix it.  So, no, actually you help my bottom line.   And the beauty is you do it for free!

Keep using poor logic and reasoning.  Keep calling people names or trying to shift the argument to something irrelevant.  Nothing proves the need for someone to help fix these issues than the people who cause them.  And just remember, no matter how much you do so, Heather still is not qualified.

If you thought ad hominem attacks we're so ineffective, you wouldn't spend so much time defending against them.

onan

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:39:03 PM
See the previous response.   ;D

You did goad a bit. We only have your word about publishing and awards. And it does smack of sanctimony. I get your point about the better argument. Most of us are quite aware of points of debate. And usually we are protective of people with some history here. With your presentation of teaching others I am somewhat perplexed that you do not see a small part of this as your responsibility. Not that civil conversation isn't a worthy goal. But for a learned man to come into the neighborhood bar and not only criticize one of its members but then to make a claim to authority that can't be proven does shows some limited insight.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 12, 2015, 06:46:33 PM
If you thought ad hominem attacks we're so ineffective, you would'nt spend so much time defending against them.
Yeah, that's called an argument from consequences.  There is nothing to keep someone from pointing out the logical fallacies, and doing so does not somehow validate them.

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:51:51 PM
Yeah, that's called an argument from consequences.  There is nothing to keep someone from pointing out the logical fallacies, and doing so does not somehow validate them.

You've spent more time talking about logic rules than about Heather.

Gassy Man

Quote from: onan on December 12, 2015, 06:49:30 PM
You did goad a bit. We only have your word about publishing and awards. And it does smack of sanctimony. I get your point about the better argument. Most of us are quite aware of points of debate. And usually we are protective of people with some history here. With your presentation of teaching others I am somewhat perplexed that you do not see a small part of this as your responsibility. Not that civil conversation isn't a worthy goal. But for a learned man to come into the neighborhood bar and not only criticize one of its members but then to make a claim to authority that can't be proven is shows some limited insight.
Aw, I see.  Well, they're true, and whether or not you accept or like that, it doesn't change a thing because, you see, you're still doing it -- attacking the person rather than the idea.  That's still an ad hominem argument.  You and others keep shifting it back to the man -- that's literally what ad hominem means, or "to the man." So, take that off the table, focus on the concepts, and maybe someone like me won't point the fallacies out because you won't be committing them.  Or, at least, that one.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 12, 2015, 06:53:23 PM
You've spent more time talking about logic rules than about Heather.
Yep, because I was attacked personally.  Go back and read all of the posts and not just the ones that you think give you ammunition to come after me.  Oh, and I still stand by the original post.   ;D

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 06:57:02 PM
Yep, because I was attacked personally.  Go back and read all of the posts and not just the ones that you think give you ammunition to come after me.  Oh, and I still stand by the original post.   ;D

Come after you for what? There is nothing we can prove here. Everyone is an expert on their own user experience.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 12, 2015, 06:58:55 PM
Come after you for what? There is nothing we can prove here. Everyone is an expert on their own user experience.
Asked and answered.  And I have expressed my "user experience."   ;D

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 07:01:31 PM
Asked and answered.  And I have expressed my "user experience."   ;D

And I also never argued with you about that (your user experience).

What I addressed was the "ad hominem" as ineffective claim. If an ad hominem was ineffective, you would have not responded and everyone else in addition would have not responded.
The actual results are that these ad hominem attacks took over the next two pages of the thread. So they were effective (at least once) and we negate your claim.

Gassy Man

Going to dinner now, and happy to enjoy spending some of that hard-earned money!  ;D