• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Trying to find episode: UK guest discusses UK folklore and cryptids

Started by Sarah, November 08, 2015, 02:27:37 AM

Sarah

I can't recall much about the episode other than I enjoyed it, it may have aired sometime around 2012-13 (unless I was listening to an older torrent, but I don't think it was) and the guest had a very British accent, but not the "fancy" kind of British accent.

The entire show was about his research into old legends and folklore in the UK and he essentially told a series of folklore and old cryptid stories, most of which I had never heard before.

Does anyone know which show I am talking about?

I've searched on the C2C website under guests for that period and everyone under the "Creatures, Myths & Legends" category, but I can't seem to find it :-(.

I'd just love to track it down and listen to it again!

Alternately, if you know of any other really good folklore / cryptid story-telling episodes then please let me know because I'd really appreciate it!

norland2424

are you looking for an Art show or a noory one? if its Art he was gone from coast 2 coast in 2010, and in 2013 he was doing darkmatter shows for 6 weeks

Sarah

Quote from: norland2424 on November 08, 2015, 04:22:22 AM
are you looking for an Art show or a noory one? if its Art he was gone from coast 2 coast in 2010, and in 2013 he was doing darkmatter shows for 6 weeks

No, I recall it was a Coast to Coast AM episode with either Noory or a Noory-stand-in guest host... not Art Bell because it was too recent.

I did check all of the Dark Matter episodes to make sure, but no, I'm certain it was on Coast to Coast AM.

norland2424

i am probably wrong but look up Graham Hancock on youtube and see if the voice matches up

Sarah

Quote from: norland2424 on November 08, 2015, 05:04:11 AM
i am probably wrong but look up Graham Hancock on youtube and see if the voice matches up

Thank you so much for the suggestion, but unfortunately not. I also checked all of Hancock's episodes on the C2C website and none of them match unfortunately.

The guest I am seeking had a far more cockney accent without the confidence of an educated person... although his stories were fascinating.

If you have any other possibilities and then please let me know.

EDIT: I think I've found it!

I think it was this 2010 interview: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/arnold-neil/42426

I'm now trying to track down an audio source to confirm...

:)

If anyone else has any folklore episode suggestions then I'd still be extremely interested!

henge0stone

I can't recall a British guest but since folklore Cryptids and legends are my favorite topics I'll give you a list of some shows in the Art Bell torrent that deal with the topics.

The most recent one was MITD 2015-09-03 - with Linda Godfrey she discussed Werewolves, Skinwalkers and cryptids. One of the best MITD shows so far.

2002-04-23 - Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell - Peter von Puttkamer - Cryptozoology.  L.M. Howe, West - Ancient Egypt
A good one where they Peter discussed the legend of the Jersey Devil and other Cryptids. I think Big Cats in the UK were in there.

Loren Coleman is a big Cryptid guest he was interviewed a couple times.

2006-12-02 - Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell -  Peter von Puttkamer - The Real Lost World
Peter again! This was one of the best ones. He discussed the legends of creatures that live atop of mount Roraima and how this plateau was the basis for Sir Arthur Conan Doyles 'the lost world'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Roraima

That's all I can think of right now, there a defiantly more but I'm drawing a blank.

norland2424

Quote from: Sarah on November 08, 2015, 05:19:01 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestion, but unfortunately not. I also checked all of Hancock's episodes on the C2C website and none of them match unfortunately.

The guest I am seeking had a far more cockney accent without the confidence of an educated person... although his stories were fascinating.

If you have any other possibilities and then please let me know.

EDIT: I think I've found it!

I think it was this 2010 interview: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/arnold-neil/42426

I'm now trying to track down an audio source to confirm...

:)

If anyone else has any folklore episode suggestions then I'd still be extremely interested!

This is just a video of him on YouTube, lets see if it matches
https://youtu.be/TTkHi0iQpfw

zeebo

There was a Knapp show a couple years ago with Dr Karl Shuker that I remembered being quite good.  Based on that show I actually suggested him as a guest for MITD.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2013/09/15

Some of his books ...

A Carnival of Cryptozoology and Unnatural History
The Beasts that Hide from Man
The Encyclopaedia of New and Rediscovered Animals
The Journal of Cryptozoology

Quote from: Sarah on November 08, 2015, 02:27:37 AM
I can't recall much about the episode other than I enjoyed it, it may have aired sometime around 2012-13 (unless I was listening to an older torrent, but I don't think it was) and the guest had a very British accent, but not the "fancy" kind of British accent.

The entire show was about his research into old legends and folklore in the UK and he essentially told a series of folklore and old cryptid stories, most of which I had never heard before.

Are you sure it wasn't Lionel Fanthorpe? He's a wealth of information and has a very pleasing Brit accent.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lionel+fanthorpe+coast+to+coast

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on November 18, 2015, 06:44:43 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Lionel Fanthorpe? He's a wealth of information and has a very pleasing Brit accent.

He is a good story teller, but Noory has tapped in to that a few too many times.

I remember a Brit talking about "little people and fairies". I don't think it was Lionel.

Ciardelo

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 18, 2015, 06:47:16 PM
He is a good story teller, but Noory has tapped in to that a few too many times.

I remember a Brit talking about "little people and fairies". I don't think it was Lionel.
Dude. It's 2015, what people do in their own privacy is their own business.