• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hello from the UK

Started by Puxley, November 03, 2015, 10:28:37 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 05, 2015, 03:02:18 PM
we'll all start refusing ever to pronounce an r except where it doesn't belong,

Oh, you're pushing an open door with me there. The southerners insist on saying Barth (bath), parth, but oddly they don't say larnd. I'm sure there are many more examples but it's early.

I'm in our town's local Trader Joe's grocery store last night, and on the new-products shelf I see some candy called something like Montezuma's Chocolates.  I think that has got to be imported, and sure enough it's made in the UK.

Apparently there's a company called Montezuma's and they are trying to penetrate the US market with a variety of products

I really wonder how that will go, I'm not sure how many will eat something with 'Montezuma' written on it, unless they're out of prunes, heh

chefist

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 06, 2015, 09:50:30 AM
I'm in our town's local Trader Joe's grocery store last night, and on the new-products shelf I see some candy called something like Montezuma's Chocolates.  I think that has got to be imported, and sure enough it's made in the UK.

Apparently there's a company called Montezuma's and they are trying to penetrate the US market with a variety of products

I really wonder how that will go, I'm not sure how many will eat something with 'Montezuma' written on it, unless they're out of prunes, heh

hehe...how could the buyer not know that you never want to use that name for branding food or drinks...hilarious!

the 's in the name is just too perfect!  ;D

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 06, 2015, 01:43:49 AM
Oh, you're pushing an open door with me there. The southerners insist on saying Barth (bath), parth, but oddly they don't say larnd. I'm sure there are many more examples but it's early.

I have this one particularly plummy Messiah performance:

Ond He sholl weign fo evah ond evah
Hallelujer, Hallelujer

paladin1991

Quote from: Puxley on November 06, 2015, 11:43:13 AM
...lol...almost forgot about this...

https://youtu.be/H5T-uxRnFzE

Yeah. 

Right.

Forget all about the taxes, representation (lack of), the attempt at gun control colonial style.....It was really about all the fucking Indians laughing at us behind our backs.  We sounded like a bunch of aggressive and randy faggots looking to be the bottoms for a particularly cruel gangbang in SoHo. 

Hell, the Indians even sided with the French Army.
https://youtu.be/T-sAd9LeMTQ

IN 1754!

paladin1991

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 06, 2015, 02:08:50 PM
Yeah. 

Right.

Forget all about the taxes, representation (lack of), the attempt at gun control colonial style.....It was really about all the fucking Indians laughing at us behind our backs.  We sounded like a bunch of aggressive and randy faggots looking to be the bottoms for a particularly cruel gangbang in SoHo. 

https://youtu.be/T-sAd9LeMTQ

IN 1754!

If you guys had won.  What shit.  The 'greatest' army of the time beaten by a gaggle of backwards assed county folk.  And not even all of them, less than 3% took up arms against you all.  hheheheheh.  Bitter much, bitch?

But I say this in love.  Like I might to a distant cousin who is okay on the eyes as long as she doesn't smile.  But hey, that's what paper bags are really for.  Silly Sod.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 06, 2015, 02:08:50 PM

The French will side with anyone who will do the work instead of them. Then they go on strike to protest at the way they're being hard done to. You think the US the only country that hangs onto revolution? Even the French press are liking the recent literal shirts being torn from the backs of Air France bosses as being shades of the French revolution. The French adore being a republic, they ooze (like particularly nasty bile) the fact they gave it to the monarchy and other aristocracy.

paladin1991

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 06, 2015, 02:14:43 PM
The French will side with anyone who will do the work instead of them. Then they go on strike to protest at the way they're being hard done to. You think the US the only country that hangs onto revolution? Even the French press are liking the recent literal shirts being torn from the backs of Air France bosses as being shades of the French revolution. The French adore being a republic, they ooze (like particularly nasty bile) the fact they gave it to the monarchy and other aristocracy.

Republic?  Is that what that rabble purports to be?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 06, 2015, 02:19:01 PM
Republic?  Is that what that rabble purports to be?

Not just purports, it is...Vive la republique!  :)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 06, 2015, 02:14:43 PM

You mean, took it away, as in, removed the heads in question.

paladin1991

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 06, 2015, 02:20:59 PM

going after those french execs....looked like a zombie attack

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 06, 2015, 02:20:59 PM

Years ago I bought a surplus French army rifle. It was in excellent condition. It had never been fired, and it had only been dropped once.

BobGrau

To be fair, the french conquered Britain about a thousand years ago... no france no britain, no britain no united states... we're all french. Merde.

Quote from: BobGrau on November 07, 2015, 05:54:49 AM
To be fair, the french conquered Britain about a thousand years ago... no france no britain, no britain no united states... we're all french. Merde.

Sacre Bleu!  Those were Normans.

K_Dubb

Yes, and they've spent about half the time since trying really hard to be French.  There's good reason to believe that many of the characteristics of the marble-mouthed upper-class accent over which they preen -- the rounded vowels, swallowing certain consonants whole -- comes from imitating their French betters.

I suspect that the case of the disappearing rs comes from trying, and failing, to trill them with their great hammy tongues.

Yorkshire pud

This is something we do best. Dignified. Respectful. And remember, Brenda drove an ambulance through the streets in WW2, Philip a sailor. Harry did two tours of Afghanistan, and by accounts is a first class leader

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34753730

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 07, 2015, 02:29:53 PM
This is something we do best. Dignified. Respectful. And remember, Brenda drove an ambulance through the streets in WW2, Philip a sailor. Harry did two tours of Afghanistan, and by accounts is a first class leader

Agree with you there.  I always watch Canada's on the 11th.  You guys are better at remembering all your history, even the bad parts.

Although to an American that new women's memorial looks at first glance like something out of the deep South we'd rather not remember.  Uff da.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 07, 2015, 02:29:53 PM

At the start of WWI, England had the greatest Navy ever assembled, but her army was only staffed ar 100,000 men. 90,000 of them were sent to the aid of France when Germany invaded through Belgium. Those brave men fought in trenches against weapons that had never been used in warfare. Before the war was over the casualties for Britain and her colonies would be 800,000 killed and 2 million wounded.

I am just awed when I think about the losses suffered and the courage it took to go back to the front lines under such horrid conditions. Dan Carlin has a multi-part Hardcore History podcast that details the events leading up to the war and the war itself. It is a fantastic study done by Mr. Carlin and I highly recommend it. Blueprint for Armegeddon.

As Armistice Day (now Veteran's Day) Approaches,  I will have a new found respect for the veterans of WWI and the British Expeditionary Force.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 07, 2015, 03:00:55 PM
At the start of WWI, England had the greatest Navy ever assembled, but her army was only staffed ar 100,000 men. 90,000 of them were sent to the aid of France when Germany invaded through Belgium. Those brave men fought in trenches against weapons that had never been used in warfare. Before the war was over the casualties for Britain and her colonies would be 800,000 killed and 2 million wounded.

I am just awed when I think about the losses suffered and the courage it took to go back to the front lines under such horrid conditions. Dan Carlin has a multi-part Hardcore History podcast that details the events leading up to the war and the war itself. It is a fantastic study done by Mr. Carlin and I highly recommend it. Blueprint for Armegeddon.

As Armistice Day (now Veteran's Day) Approaches,  I will have a new found respect for the veterans of WWI and the British Expeditionary Force.

My mothers dad who I regrettably never met, (he died in 61) was taken off the front line at the Somme and tasked to drive ambulances (he was one of the few who could drive). Post war, he took himself through night school, and trained to be an engineer.

K_Dubb

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 07, 2015, 03:00:55 PM

Thanks for reminding me.  I will check if he as any new episodes I've missed.

Here's my great-grandfather, 120th Battalion CEF, who died young of a respiratory condition.  Family story is that he was gassed and suffered the consequences for years.

Great-grandma supported him as an invalid by working in a hotel laundry.

GravitySucks

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 07, 2015, 03:19:22 PM
Thanks for reminding me.  I will check if he as any new episodes I've missed.

Here's my great-grandfather, 120th Battalion CEF, who died young of a respiratory condition.  Family story is that he was gassed and suffered the consequences for years.

I had a great uncle I never met. My grandmother said he came back from the war so mentally messed up that he could not function and he just disappeared.  Probably started riding the rails as a hobo and died a broken man... But nobody knows.

K_Dubb

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 07, 2015, 03:28:15 PM
I had a great uncle I never met. My grandmother said he came back from the war so mentally messed up that he could not function and he just disappeared.  Probably started riding the rails as a hobo and died a broken man... But nobody knows.

Interesting, I think that wasn't at all uncommon.  I had two great uncles who served in WWII, one in Italy and one in the Pacific, who died raging alcoholics.  But they were Swedes and it's in the blood, so...

At least that was the family verdict.

paladin1991

Buuuullllllshit.  My ppl  came fm Spain.  We conquered the new world and made it safe for decent Europeons everywhere.

Your welcome, bitches.