• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

ICF-SW7600GR long wire question

Started by Quick Karl, May 13, 2015, 03:00:13 PM

Quick Karl

I wonder if anyone might know the answer to this...

I have a Sony ICF-SW7600GR that I intend to listen to Art with. It has a 3.5mm RCA external antenna connector. However, I understand that this jack "provides power" for some Sony "active antennas."

I would like to connect a random long wire to this jack. The only 3.5mm male connectors I can find look like stereo connectors - I am unsure if that is what I need and wondered if anyone knows? Also, would it be a general bad idea to plug a long wire into a jack designed for an active antenna?

I intend to use some cable TV cable to go from the bare wire outdoors to the radio/3.5mm male jack.

Any advise or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I think I was trying to do something similar a month ago

http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,7695.0.html

I received this response from Juan:
I don't know why not.  Antennas for most consumer electronics are non-critical.  Now microwave is different, but that's not what this seems to be.

I cut off a generic cable and then tied off the extra wire...seems to work ok.

pate

Karl, someone posted somewhere here in bellGab (I should'a bookmarked it) a neat link to a diy homebrew coil antenna for SW.

That's an aside, here's a neat little gem I found that might be more fun than a simple random long wire if you have the space:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/shortwaveantenna.html

edit: To the editor of this site, you are atrocious.  I keed, I think there are getting to be multiple SW antenna/radio threads around here for some reason?  Perhaps a bug hunt and merge?  If you have the time and energy after all, I know you have a day job...  -pate

pate

Aha, found the page someone else posted (I used google-fu) for the coil antenna I saw round these parts:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/special/bromstik.html

That's what I'm talking 'bout, I think I'm going to try one of these...

Juan

I'd check into whether it actually provides power, and if so, how the connections are made.  How much power? It's probably something like a USB, 5 volts.  Even at that you don't want a short. 

Quick Karl

For my particular location I was thinking maybe this might work?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1026.html

I wish a true radio-geek would chime in :D

Quick Karl

I purchased a really nice 35-ft 5th-wheel RV that I intend to travel around to non-progressive States ;D to vacation sight-see for the rest of my life, and I am looking for an antenna I can attach to the roof and set-up and take-down fairly easily...

Of course, I purchased and RV with an AlumaFrame feature, that puts the jack-boot on listening to a shortwave with the telescoping antenna or even one of those wind-up wires that came with my radio.

Hoping I could mount that 6-ft whip on a devise that can rotate to a horizontal position during travel, and then just "snap it vertical" when parked and want to listen!

The Ccrane site has very little in the way of antennas.

Juan

Have you tried mounting the wind up wire on the roof exterior? I'd try that and see if it works.  If it does, then I'd look at how to make a more permanent long wire.

Quick Karl

Quote from: Juan on May 14, 2015, 01:39:44 PM
Have you tried mounting the wind up wire on the roof exterior? I'd try that and see if it works.  If it does, then I'd look at how to make a more permanent long wire.

The AlumaFrame is bad juju - the windup wire on the roof would not work.

I guess I could always just listen on the internet.

DanTSX

The antenna that jack is for is a collapsible, active antenna iirc.

Just use the roll up antenna that clips onto the whip.

The powered one is designed for hanging up in hotel room windows and listening that way so you can get your Manchurian candidate numbers station commands to go manipulate the price of pork.

pate

Bump.

No contributions to the thread or anything, BUT...

I done found some sort of high gauge wire, real thin stuff, wrapped green all around.

I reserve paper towel tubes for my more flighty guests, but would one be better served as a wrap-around for an antenna?

ediot:  Y'know for today's kids and the education system 'n such///