• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Nominated for Radio Hall of Fame

Started by ArtBellFan, April 18, 2008, 12:20:39 PM

ArtBellFan

CHICAGO -- Bob Costas, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Howard Stern and Art Bell were among the nominees announced Wednesday for induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame (NRHOF), housed at The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC) in Chicago. Also, three major local personalities from Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles will be inducted on a posthumous basis, including Jess Cain, Bob Collins and Dick Whittinghill.

Nominees for induction into the NRHOF are as follows:

National - Active: Premiere-syndicated host Bob Costas, syndicated host and author Dr. James Dobson, cultural commentator Dr. Laura Schlessinger and outspoken air personality Howard Stern.

National - Pioneer: Art Bell, longtime host of "Coast to Coast AM," Country music icon Ralph Emery, "Gang Busters" (a law enforcement reality series created by Phillips Lord and hosted by Col. H. Norman Schwarzkopf) and Barry Farber, known for his Southern drawl, intensity, and conservative views.

Local Or Regional - Active: WRKO-AM/Boston talk shost Howie Carr, WJMK-FM/Chicago afternooner Steve Dahl, WABC-AM/New York host Bob Grant and KGO/San Francisco's Ronn Owens.

Local or Regional - Pioneer: Gary Burbank formerly heard on WLW-AM/Cincinnati, Major League Baseball play-by-play announcer Harry Kalas, Legendary Los Angeles personality Charlie Tuna and Jim Zabel, whose broadcasts on WHO/Des Moines span 62 years.

Entering the Hall on a posthumous basis is long-time morning talk host on WHDH/Boston Jess Cain. He was the first voice many New Englanders heard for 34 years. Also entering the Hall are Bob Collins the a top-rated and much-loved morning show host on WGN/Chicago from 1986 until his death in 2000 and Dick Whittinghill, who established himself as the most popular morning personality in Southern California at KMPC/Los Angeles.

"These three great broadcasters are gone but they should never be forgotten by the millions who invited them into their homes and hearts," said Radio Hall of Fame Chairman Bruce DuMont.

The three posthumous inductions will take place during a live national radio broadcast from The Renaissance Chicago Hotel on Saturday, November 8. Westwood One will produce and distribute the one-hour broadcast. National online balloting will begin on May 1st and ends at midnight on July 15. (04-16-08)
http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/$rol.exe/headline_id=n17872

"E-Membership" costs $15 and you can vote, just so long as you register before May 1st, when the ballots will be mailed out.
http://www.museum.tv/getinvolvedsection.php?page=24

ArtBellFan

You are so welcome, no one deserves this more than Art....

EvB

Art DOES deserve it - no question!  But, I'm a bit put of by the "company" he's in.  It shouldn't refelct on him - but these things do.  I mean, really folks - Laura Schlessinger!?!?!?! ??? :P :o

Oh well - the only thing to do is vote for Art early and often. 

I was just about to cast a vote for Art by following the very annoying, but secure, process you go through by clicking the link on the C2C website. Well, here's my problem. He's up against Gang Busters! I just don't know what to do! That is a tough one!

(It turns out he's not in the same catagory as Howard Stern and Laura Schlessinger, literally and figuratively. He's in the pioneer catagory, and they're in some other one.)

You vote for ART! Gang Busters is awesome, no doubt, but if it isn't already in the Hall, too bad - It's had enough time to get in there. Are we gonna deny Art for the sake of past mistakes? Is this the Oscars? Are we gonna wait until George Noory secures a spot in the HOF to finally vote Art in?

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 01, 2008, 06:15:06 PM
You vote for ART! Gang Busters is awesome, no doubt, but if it isn't already in the Hall, too bad - It's had enough time to get in there. Are we gonna deny Art for the sake of past mistakes? Is this the Oscars? Are we gonna wait until George Noory secures a spot in the HOF to finally vote Art in?

I did vote for Art Bell - though to be honest I'm less familiar with Gang Busters.  Still, I have to say that I think this reply is more passion that logic.  Art (in this case the discipline, not the person) is OFTEN not appreciated in it's time!

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - can you tell I've spent most of the day on academic and work reports?  What the hell - BE passionate!

EvB, check out the website below, and I think you'll find Gang Busters in the Drama section.  I used to love Gang Busters, but I preferred Mystery/Thriller/Suspense radio shows. ( Check out Voyage of the Scarlet Queen, in the mystery section, if you have the time.)  Gang Busters was very appreciated in it's time. It was HUGE. Ran from 1935 to 1957. I listened to rebroadcasts as a kid in the early 80's and they were still doing it up until the last time I checked in around '99/2000.

Here's an idea - Let's all try too get Art in this year, and then push for Gang Busters in 2009

www.radiolovers.com

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 01, 2008, 07:02:09 PM
EvB, check out the website below,

Here's an idea - Let's all try too get Art in this year, and then push for Gang Busters in 2009

www.radiolovers.com

Thank you!

Quote from: EvB on May 02, 2008, 04:01:35 AM
Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 01, 2008, 07:02:09 PM
EvB, check out the website below,

www.radiolovers.com

Thank you!

Yes, thank you! I had actually never heard Gang Busters until I listened to the clip when it came time to vote. I love classic radio, which is probably why I love Art, but that is a good suggestion.

Max

Quote from: EvB on April 18, 2008, 02:50:29 PM
I mean, really folks - Laura Schlessinger!?!?!?! ??? :P :o

thats kinda lame really... what contribution has she made.. I've listened to her show... it sucks personally but hey I'm a guy.. the show is for woman.. .

Quote from: Max on May 02, 2008, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: EvB on April 18, 2008, 02:50:29 PM
I mean, really folks - Laura Schlessinger!?!?!?! ??? :P :o

thats kinda lame really... what contribution has she made.. I've listened to her show... it sucks personally but hey I'm a guy.. the show is for woman.. .

Whenever I hear her name, "De-Gen-A-Tron!" pops in right after.

slipstream

He'll never get in.  He will be forever rememberd as the guy who got the job when the real host decided he had enough.  That is the only reason he's doing C2C.

Swishypants

Fantastic news! I hope he has a great time at the gala-ball. Limousines, tuxedo's, maybe a little bubbly! An asian bride so young you could bounce a check off her butt because she's never seen one before? Congratulations Art! I hope you have a blast! You earned it!

Quote from: Swishypants on September 26, 2017, 06:52:56 PM
Fantastic news! I hope he has a great time at the gala-ball. Limousines, tuxedo's, maybe a little bubbly! An asian bride so young you could bounce a check off her butt because she's never seen one before? Congratulations Art! I hope you have a blast! You earned it!

He took his protege, George Noory, instead.

Swishypants

Damn shame! The pendant Art is wearing says "Hot to Trot" in Japanese.