• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Jimmy Chunga's "new and improved" GIS

Started by WOTR, October 08, 2013, 03:54:41 AM

WOTR

So... when did Jimmy Chunga join the GIS?  There seems to be some speculation on the live discussion thread that he is brand new to the GIS.  I have spent far too long looking for evidence of who Chunga is (mostly while I listened to DM.)  Some of what I found adds up- lots of it makes me think he is a little less than truthful (what do you expect from a self promoting DJ?)

He did have the GIS on his radio show in 2009.  This leads me to suspect that his "paranormal" encounter he refers to in the youtube link likely happened in 2008 or 2009 (according to him, he looked them up online after his October Halloween shows and after his experience.)  Being as he had them on at that point I would think that anything where he claims to be there or a part of the GIS prior to 2010 is complete BS... and I really do not know how long it was from him meeting them until he "joined" them.  Yes, he apparently took part in his own investigation into the historical park with Brendan Cook at some point prior to August of 2010.  Did that qualify him as a member and did he regularly do investigations with the others after that... all questions i would have liked answered.

I would also have to think that if he really has been investigating paranormal activity all over the world for the last 22 years that he has done one hell of a job of hiding it.  There seems to be nothing to suggest that he had any experiences or was interested in the paranormal (at least on any investigative level) prior to the incident at "this is the place historical park."

Art seemed to have been quite impressed with the EVP voice that claimed to "watch you while you sleep."  As Noory would tell us that there are no coincidences, I find it very interesting that the episode "demonic voices" (Chungas segment) aired on was titled "it watches me while I sleep."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VgKDPuSbA

A little bit of "fun trivia" that I accidentally tripped across has Chunga listed at IMBd as "founder of SLC's alternative radio staton 101.9FM.  It is funny / odd that he was fired from that station April of 2010 along with the rest of the DJ's  http://www.examiner.com/article/utah-s-popular-radio-personality-jimmy-chunga-fired-video

I think they need to be careful if Barbara has not actually slowed down her investigations and is just distancing herself from the GIS.  It seems that they mentioned that she is not getting out to investigate as much as she used to and she may just surprise them in the future (they may as well have told us that she is not on the show because she is "winding down.")

Well, that is it.  Who is Chunga, when did he start investigating the paranormal and when did he join the GIS?  I think it is all still open... but for my money he is a fast talking, self promoting DJ who had a paranormal experience in 2009.  He contacted Brendan Cook and convinced him that he could promote the hell out of the GIS with the right recordings and is on a mission to do so by billing himself as a 22 year veteran who has investigated the paranormal around the world...

DanTSX

Like an "edgy" Seventh season addition to a sitcom........ :-\

So is he like the male Long Island Medium?

Quote from: wotr1 on October 08, 2013, 03:54:41 AM
So... when did Jimmy Chunga join the GIS?  There seems to be some speculation on the live discussion thread that he is brand new to the GIS.  I have spent far too long looking for evidence of who Chunga is (mostly while I listened to DM.)  Some of what I found adds up- lots of it makes me think he is a little less than truthful (what do you expect from a self promoting DJ?)

He did have the GIS on his radio show in 2009.  This leads me to suspect that his "paranormal" encounter he refers to in the youtube link likely happened in 2008 or 2009 (according to him, he looked them up online after his October Halloween shows and after his experience.)  Being as he had them on at that point I would think that anything where he claims to be there or a part of the GIS prior to 2010 is complete BS... and I really do not know how long it was from him meeting them until he "joined" them.  Yes, he apparently took part in his own investigation into the historical park with Brendan Cook at some point prior to August of 2010.  Did that qualify him as a member and did he regularly do investigations with the others after that... all questions i would have liked answered.

I would also have to think that if he really has been investigating paranormal activity all over the world for the last 22 years that he has done one hell of a job of hiding it.  There seems to be nothing to suggest that he had any experiences or was interested in the paranormal (at least on any investigative level) prior to the incident at "this is the place historical park."

Art seemed to have been quite impressed with the EVP voice that claimed to "watch you while you sleep."  As Noory would tell us that there are no coincidences, I find it very interesting that the episode "demonic voices" (Chungas segment) aired on was titled "it watches me while I sleep."

A little bit of "fun trivia" that I accidentally tripped across has Chunga listed at IMBd as "founder of SLC's alternative radio staton 101.9FM.  It is funny / odd that he was fired from that station April of 2010 along with the rest of the DJ's  http://www.examiner.com/article/utah-s-popular-radio-personality-jimmy-chunga-fired-video

I think they need to be careful if Barbara has not actually slowed down her investigations and is just distancing herself from the GIS.  It seems that they mentioned that she is not getting out to investigate as much as she used to and she may just surprise them in the future (they may as well have told us that she is not on the show because she is "winding down.")

Well, that is it.  Who is Chunga, when did he start investigating the paranormal and when did he join the GIS?  I think it is all still open... but for my money he is a fast talking, self promoting DJ who had a paranormal experience in 2009.  He contacted Brendan Cook and convinced him that he could promote the hell out of the GIS with the right recordings and is on a mission to do so by billing himself as a 22 year veteran who has investigated the paranormal around the world...

Your YouTube link is gone now.  You're certainly on to something since why else would a small radio show be copyrighted right after a controversial radio show?  As for the show last night, I think the newest stuff is certainly faked and it casts a lot of doubt on the older EVPs as well.  It leads me to two theories: it was faked all along with Chunga (a trained voice actor and DJ) providing the voices.  When he got fired from his radio station when it changed formats, he threatened to go public with this unless he got a more public place in the group.  The other theory is that he befriended Cook on his radio show and the two faked a couple of EVPs because they just weren't getting any interesting ones while out in the field.  Barbara found about this and left the group in a huff, leading to the "family issues" we heard about a while ago.

DanTSX

Quote from: Insomniac Missourian on October 08, 2013, 06:03:57 AM
Your YouTube link is gone now.  You're certainly on to something since why else would a small radio show be copyrighted right after a controversial radio show?  As for the show last night, I think the newest stuff is certainly faked and it casts a lot of doubt on the older EVPs as well.  It leads me to two theories: it was faked all along with Chunga (a trained voice actor and DJ) providing the voices.  When he got fired from his radio station when it changed formats, he threatened to go public with this unless he got a more public place in the group.  The other theory is that he befriended Cook on his radio show and the two faked a couple of EVPs because they just weren't getting any interesting ones while out in the field.  Barbara found about this and left the group in a huff, leading to the "family issues" we heard about a while ago.

He probably just wore down GIS until it became his own brand of sorts.   Now it is Long Island medium Utah style

Now Art needs to get Barbara on the show.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 08, 2013, 06:35:59 AM
Now Art needs to get Barbara on the show.

Yes, I'd absolutely love to hear what she has to say about the new GIS.

ItsOver

Something smells in Ghost Land and it's not a corpse.

Quote from: ItsOver on October 08, 2013, 09:56:13 AM
Something smells in Ghost Land and it's not a corpse.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

shell88

Here's the link to a wiki article about him and there's no mention at all about any activity in the paranormal except for guests he had on his radio show..  Until Chunga can provide historical proof of his involvement in ghost hunting, for the last 13 yrs, I will consider his claims dubious.  He was an actor as wiki states. That I can believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Chunga

Some have said he copied Howard Stern's style.  But, who knows. 
A lot of this gobbly gook stuff relies on the presentation, and to be honest, the lot of them are pretty much the same to me. I don't like listening to this stuff anyways.  I got enough of my own ghosts and demons to deal with.

Needless to say, there aren't many Jim Chunka fans in our circle. However, Brendon is a straight shooter, in my opinion. Unlike SOME  in the paranormal investigation community (The Ghost Hunters), I doubt Brendon would sell the soul of GIS for a few Hollyweird shekels.

I DO believe Barbara is getting along in the years and is winding down. More than likely, Chumba was a fan of the work, maybe hung around a bit, and possibly had some contacts that could benefit the group.

onan

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 08, 2013, 10:44:28 AM
Needless to say, there aren't many Jim Chunka fans in our circle. However, Brendon is a straight shooter, in my opinion. Unlike SOME  in the paranormal investigation community (The Ghost Hunters), I doubt Brendon would sell the soul of GIS for a few Hollyweird shekels.

I DO believe Barbara is getting along in the years and is winding down. More than likely, Chumba was a fan of the work, maybe hung around a bit, and possibly had some contacts that could benefit the group.

I think this sums it, mostly.

The dynamic has changed however. Art used to guide Brendan and Barbara through the interview. chunga on the other hand seems to revel in the spotlight... most likely undeservedly so.

shell88

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 08, 2013, 09:57:01 AM
Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Not always. Many times it's just "where there's smoke there's smoke'" and the fire never really gets going.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 08, 2013, 10:44:28 AM

I wish I could be that optimistic about this.  I really think that Brendan has sold the group's soul, if they had one to begin with.

Falkie2013

Compared to the old GIS shows, this one and Chumbucket sucked big time.
I hope Art never has them on again. >:( :(

Quote from: shell88 on October 08, 2013, 10:58:33 AM
Not always. Many times it's just "where there's smoke there's smoke'" and the fire never really gets going.

Not always, true.

WOTR

Quote from: Insomniac Missourian on October 08, 2013, 06:03:57 AM
Your YouTube link is gone now. 
Yeah... there were 1000 views, was posted in 2011 and it got taken down the day after he appeared on DM.  If the sleazy little bastard was going to try covering his tracks he really should have started before going on DM rather than after.  And convincing your friends at the radio station to take down your video is pretty lame in this day and age.  Here is a link to a still working video.  If that one gets taken down, I have downloaded the video (even if I had not, it would be on my computer as I have watched it and I would have pulled it off to post just for this.) 

If he reports that one and gets it taken down I am sure that I can "find" a link to a MP4 or FLV download for people.

***I did not necessarily find him to be a sleazy little bastard until the disappearing video.  It tells me that he definitely has something he is trying to hide... Probably the fact that he admits to looking up the GIS after his experience rather than being a member since 1965... ::)  Perhaps the self-promoter should have thought about his claim of travelling the world for 22 years doing paranormal research prior to appearing on a television show where he tells a story that does not match the new version of reality he is trying to promote.

Am I critical enough to be a part of this group yet?

DanTSX

Quote from: wotr1 on October 08, 2013, 12:32:20 PM
Yeah... there were 1000 views, was posted in 2011 and it got taken down the day after he appeared on DM.  If the sleazy little bastard was going to try covering his tracks he really should have started before going on DM rather than after.  And convincing your friends at the radio station to take down your video is pretty lame in this day and age.  Here is a link to a still working video.  If that one gets taken down, I have downloaded the video (even if I had not, it would be on my computer as I have watched it and I would have pulled it off to post just for this.) 

If he reports that one and gets it taken down I am sure that I can "find" a link to a MP4 or FLV download for people.

***I did not necessarily find him to be a sleazy little bastard until the disappearing video.  It tells me that he definitely has something he is trying to hide... Probably the fact that he admits to looking up the GIS after his experience rather than being a member since 1965... ::)  Perhaps the self-promoter should have thought about his claim of travelling the world for 22 years doing paranormal research prior to appearing on a television show where he tells a story that does not match the new version of reality he is trying to promote.

No.  You have to take a swing at Jorch Snoory while you dress down chumbronie's MO.  A simple "this guy is about the same carnival huckster level that should be about perfect for Coast to Coast am.

juanelo

Quote from: wotr1 on October 08, 2013, 12:32:20 PM

That's the link to the first video.

Sardondi

I know nothing more about Chunga than what I heard on last night's program (which I am listening to for the first time as I type this), and from what conclusions I draw from comments here.

1. I can absolutely believe there's nothing more to Barbara's absence on the program than the fact she's older now. Hey, I think she's in her 70's - perhaps older. Doesn't she live in Michigan or thereabouts? An Eastern Time Zone residence means she would have to hang in until 2:00 a.m. her time. Over the years I've never heard anything which makes me think she is in any way intentionally boycotting Art over George. All things must pass, and I can see that Barbara might want to slow down.

2. The statements by Brendan and Chunga to the contrary, I'm much less certain that GIS will remain a not-for-profit enterprise now. Chunga is a DJ. Perhaps he's doing this for the exposure with hopes he can parlay his participation in GIS into a job, paranormal related or otherwise. At least some kind of money deal. That's the whole insistence over being called "Chunga", which is a unique name, easily remembered, etc. This is perfectly fine, and I don't begrudge anyone making a living. I'm just a little uncomfortable if someone maintains they do what they do because they "love the work", or "for the kids", or for "the cause", etc. And I wonder if maybe the whole point of Art being equally insistent that he call Chunga "Jimmy" might have been his small way of saying that he doesn't like the quick shift in GIS's style - recall that Art in the past always made a big point out of the fact that GIS was purely non-profit, as he pointed out again tonight when he had them confirm they were not making any money. So maybe Art was trying to undermine Chunga's mission of exposure, if that's what it was.

3. Brendan is already struggling for control of GIS, at least as far as who is perceived as the public face/voice of GIS. IMO if only because of 14 years (or was it 22?) at the job, it should be Brendan who is the top banana. But Chunga is bulling his way in there and running all over Brendan. Not sure I like that, although so far - and I'm just in the first segment - Chunga is informative, articulate and intelligent.

Bottom line, changes are in store for GIS., and my guess is they're mostly about being a launching pad for Chunga. 

ItsOver

Chunga is starting to remind me of another attention-seeking clown.  Send him to Dave Noorie, where he belongs.

b_dubb

i wonder if bellgab will become - for some - a kind of barometer for what works on DM and other shows like DM and also a deterrent to going on those shows or even hosting one.  damn we ARE vicious

bateman

Quote from: ItsOver on October 08, 2013, 02:56:57 PM
Chunga is starting to remind me of another attention-seeking clown.  Send him to Dave Noorie, where he belongs.

Chunga Bunga is the PERFECT Noorie guest.

The General

Quote from: b_dubb on October 08, 2013, 06:31:10 PM
i wonder if bellgab will become - for some - a kind of barometer for what works on DM and other shows like DM and also a deterrent to going on those shows or even hosting one.  damn we ARE vicious
I'm more viscous than vicious.  But that's just me.

Yeah, I totally agree though.  I wouldn't want to be Chumba today. 

I don't know about that, but I can see that we're very, very vocal about calling out bullshit.

ItsOver

Quote from: Insomniac Missourian on October 08, 2013, 06:39:03 PM
I don't know about that, but I can see that we're very, very vocal about calling out bullshit.

Ten years of practice with Dave tends to do that.

ItsOver

We WILL be entertained.  ;)

Chunga took something that is figuratively "held sacred" by many of us, and tainted it with lies. All he had to do was be honest and he'd have caught a lot less flak.

Too many of us have been listening for too long for a new guy to show up and feed us BS.