• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Retro video games

Started by davidk26212, February 20, 2013, 06:24:22 PM

davidk26212

Anyone else like to collect retro video game consoles/games?  I happen to own a SNES(mint) an original game boy and game boy color and assorted games for all of them. The prize of my collection is my unopened Secrets of Mana for SNES.

ziznak

Most of my classic stuff is all on my DSIXL... I've got an NES emulator and an SNES emulator on it.  I also have an N64 emulator on my laptop I'm just waiting on a controller.  I really love the fact that a lot of that old hardware can still be had for pretty affordable prices.

You're a lucky shit to have that game in that condition, that's for sure. Currently missing that gen as I probably smashed my Genesis or something, and thought the SUperN blew donkey balls (aside from a few games - Chronotrigger).  Atari, NES, N64, DreamCast, PS1 & 2.  I might have an Intellivision somewhere.  Other than the Dreamcast (Shenmue, Original UFC game) I never pull anything out because I just end up making a mess that I don't want to clean up.  It's just easier to play those old games on the PC now.

I have wanted a Vectrex forever and missed out on buying one once. I still regret that.

As for my flashback system, I have an Atari Jaguar and tempest 2000-still an awesome game.

I had Secret of Mana but I think I sold it to someone in 1994 for like $20. I was cleaning out some old boxes and found a copy of the super mario brothers snes roleplaying game as well.

davidk26212

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on February 20, 2013, 09:12:04 PM
the SUperN blew donkey balls (aside from a few games - Chronotrigger). .

I have to strongly disagree with that lol, the SNES had to have some of the best games ever created i.e. Contra 3, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantesy 3 , Earth Worm Jim, Super Mario world, Star fox, Super Metroid...need I go on.

Quote from: davidk26212 on February 20, 2013, 10:08:57 PM

I have to strongly disagree with that lol, the SNES had to have some of the best games ever created i.e. Contra 3, Super Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantesy 3 , Earth Worm Jim, Super Mario world, Star fox, Super Metroid...need I go on.

You could go on if you wished.  Sega had Earthworm Jim too and better sports games, but I will definitely give you Starfox (So awesome -"Andross has ordered us to take you down!"), and I loved Pilot Wings and the TOp Gear racers as well.  As for the others, I had mostly grown passed the majority of NES sequels, or hadn't got into FF's in a big way yet.  Metroid is IMO one of the most overrated franchises in vg history.  And I didn't like res and colours in many SNES games, and hated the joysticks.  But I hopped back on board full time when the 64 came out (ROGUE SQUADRON FTW!!!).

To be honest, I was out partying most of the time during the SNES' heyday, and when I wasn't I was at my place or some friends house, with a group of high school buddies, playing various NHL's, BasketBall, or Joe Montana/John Madden (but mostly NHL's) on the Genesis(Echo the Dolphin!!!).

Have managed to collect a bunch of old systems, with games. My most impressive (or depressing, considering) are an Intellivision (in box, 25 or so boxed games with controller inlays) and an ancient Telstar system that plays handball, tennis (pong) and "hockey". Also most systems I grew up with, excepting the TG16 (I totally refuse to pay over $50 for that system, regardless of how much Blazing Lazers it promises). 

Quote from: Agent : Orange on February 21, 2013, 12:17:14 AM
Have managed to collect a bunch of old systems, with games. My most impressive (or depressing, considering) are an Intellivision (in box, 25 or so boxed games with controller inlays) and an ancient Telstar system that plays handball, tennis (pong) and "hockey". Also most systems I grew up with, excepting the TG16 (I totally refuse to pay over $50 for that system, regardless of how much Blazing Lazers it promises).

Hey man, the Intellivision was damn good, even if it ended up the betamax of it's era.  Many games had more "variables", depth, and choice than Atari games, which made it extra cool.  And the Telstar, hilarious but still classic.  If you ever loved playing pong you should go out of your way to try and play Rockstar Table Tennis for the xbox360; it's basically Pong for the Gods.

Quote from: Phantastic SanShiSan on February 21, 2013, 09:53:57 PM
Hey man, the Intellivision was damn good, even if it ended up the betamax of it's era.  Many games had more "variables", depth, and choice than Atari games, which made it extra cool.  And the Telstar, hilarious but still classic.  If you ever loved playing pong you should go out of your way to try and play Rockstar Table Tennis for the xbox360; it's basically Pong for the Gods.

The Intellivision and betamax make for a great comparison. In many ways superior but not adopted by the masses sadly.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check out that 360 game. There are many Wii games that have the "Pong on acid" vibe to them as well

Falkie2013

If I ever  hit the Lotto for really big money, I'd get the biggest screen I could get and throw a party for people and all that would be on the screen would be a giant pong screen. When people would ask why, I'd get all goofy and say " I dunno. I like Pong. " as the ball would go back and forth endlessly just to screw with people's heads.

;D

ziznak

ok so big screen with ... what old school pong?? or new acid induced pong??

if it's old school then I hope your party has acid...

if not... mario kart cmon now!

Falkie2013

Quote from: ziznak on March 10, 2013, 08:57:49 PM
ok so big screen with ... what old school pong?? or new acid induced pong??

if it's old school then I hope your party has acid...

if not... mario kart cmon now!

I can't do Mario Kart because I've never played it.

ziznak

there is much for you to learn young grasshopper...

ShayP

I played the hell out of Zork on my Commodore 64.

Dude111

Quote from: davidk26212Anyone else like to collect retro video game consoles/games?

Yes David,i only like older games!!!!

Atari 2600
Colecovision
Early 80s arcade games!!

NOTHING BETTER!!!!!!!!