• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coast to Coast Topics Changed for the bad

Started by dholbrook, January 29, 2013, 12:41:59 AM

dholbrook

Is it just me or has Coast-to-Coast moved away from what made them so popular. It seems like most nights it is nutrition, religions or something else. What happened to UFOs, Bigfoot, Aliens, etc?

The host all have great radio voices but there are more commercials than anything else. Lets get this many people to subscribe or pay for orphans in foreign countries.

I turn it on to see what it is about and then switch over to Ground Zero.

Morgus

Noory recently in a local interview reportedly said he can't do paranormal every night.
Instead he seems to be adding a lot of 'infomercial' type guests...

ItsOver

I can tell it's really getting bad.  I'm starting to miss Ed Dames.  :-[

dholbrook

George Noory stayed about 5 years too long as a host. The weekend crew seems to be better as long as Ian doesn't talk about a religious topic every time.
I love the way he treats callers. ONe of the reason I would never call any talk radio is, they beg you to call, and when you do they make you sound like an idiot if they don't agree with you and they always get the last word or say we are coming up against a hard break.

That's exactly what I've been saying about how the show has changed over the past 5 years too. The extra amount of commercials might be because they need the money due to slipping ratings. Either that or they're selling out more air time to try and cram in as many ads as possible like so many other stations are doing now. Bottom line is that we all know Snoory can't hold a candle (let alone an audience) to the greatness and type of host that Art Bell was. Those that have been listening long enough and follow this site enough know all the reasons why that needs no further explanation. Still, it's one thing when you take over a show and know that you're not going to be the popular host from the past everyone loved so much (i.e. Jay Leno, Conan O'Brian, Jimmy Falon, Ryan Seacrest, etc.) and that you can only do your own thing as best as you can to try and live up to them and hope people will learn to like you, but it's another thing to totally and radically change the format and theme of a show that you turn away your original target audience that would otherwise still enjoy the topics no matter who the host was.

Overall I think he shoulda just left well enough alone and stayed with the same basic format and topics that made that show work and made it so popular all over the world. He may not have been able to fully replace Art Bell, but he certainly would have been able to succeed him well enough to keep me and millions of others interested and still listening to him, rather than chase us all off and have us write our bitter hate-filled comments on a forum website. But that's just my opinion as an old fashioned Art Bell loyalist!

"No mystery is closed to an open mind." -Tim White

shermdawg54

There is no depth to the show anymore. Noory is not suited for these topics. Listened every night for a decade, and now I have listened to maybe an hour total in 2 yrs.

AC400KICK

Quote from: dholbrook on January 29, 2013, 12:41:59 AM

Who pay you.

ItsOver

Noory and PremRat have turned a classic into a joke.  :-[

I agree with what I read so far on this thread.  Noory does way too much nutrition and religious stuff.  You know, there are really are strange things going on; there are semi-secret organizations (Bilderberg?) that could be discussed, but instead we get Noory's New World Order fear-mongering.  Does anybody really believe he's ever sampled an E-Foods offerings?  He sounds so ridiculous:  "I love the food I retheeve from E-Foodth.  It'th nutrishuth and delithith."  (Yeah, I know that his lisp is not quite so pronounced, but I just detest what this man's done to Art Bell's creation.

ggseattle

C2C sounds like a pantywaist version of Oprah now - self help, thinly veiled infomercials, 'you are the universe' stuff.  It's gone wimptastic, so I'm just listening to the Fine Art stream and giving up on anything live.

Eegah

I tuned in the other night and heard the numbers nutjob lady for the millionth time, and I tell ya, I frantically switched it off before my ears started to bleed! Switched to Ground Zero.

so much of the 'medical 'information guests  sound interesting then you go to their sites and find they have lots of things that look interesting but are priced way beyond budget busting means..
I have taken to Ground Zero more and more then 3AM I tune C2C and take it or leave it.
I also like Red Ice out of Sweden when I find a link to a free bit as they like you to subscribe to listen .
http://www.youtube.com/user/RedIceRadio
Subjects I find interesting is archeology,Ancient History. I am currently reading"Lost Empire of Atlantis" which is really about the Minoan civilization  which is really  an mind opening book. by GavinMenzies. Especially when it comes to the evidence that the Minoans were sailing to the Great Lakes to mine copper 4-5000 years ago.

You might enjoy another book on Atlantis/Minoan culture:  Unearthing Atlantis, by Charles Pellegrino (published in about 1991).  Fascinating material!

ItsOver

Quote from: Eegah on February 05, 2013, 11:48:45 PM
I tuned in the other night and heard the numbers nutjob lady for the millionth time, and I tell ya, I frantically switched it off before my ears started to bleed! Switched to Ground Zero.

Seriously, I'll take Clyde ranting about some bizarre meme over The Numbers Nut and The Numb Skull.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 06, 2013, 06:15:21 PM
You might enjoy another book on Atlantis/Minoan culture:  Unearthing Atlantis, by Charles Pellegrino (published in about 1991).  Fascinating material!
Did he talk to survivors in that book as well? ;D

ufogadfly

Is it just me or has Coast-to-Coast moved away from what made them so popular. It seems like most nights it is nutrition, religions or something else. What happened to UFOs, Bigfoot, Aliens, etc?

The host all have great radio voices but there are more commercials than anything else. Lets get this many people to subscribe or pay for orphans in foreign countries.

While I agree about all the Noory Negatives (that's why I'm here), my recollection of C2C with Art is that he also had a fair percentage of non-UFO/Bigfoot/Paranormal topics. Granted, maybe not as many as Disgeorge, but it wasn't all UFOs, etc.

analog kid

Quote from: ItsOver on February 03, 2013, 07:54:32 PM
Noory and PremRat have turned a classic into a joke.  :-[

Thought that custom job was quite awesome when I was a kid.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 06, 2013, 07:25:06 PM
          Did he talk to survivors in that book as well? ;D

No, Eddie, the book I suggested was written by an archeologist/Ph.D. and is a serious science book.  Not much unfounded speculation to be found in it.  Arthur C. Clarke is mentioned several times in the book.  The premise is not that Atlantis was some alien-founded/funded super-state.  No time travellers, remote viewers, alient technology, etc.  Essentially, he suggests that Atlantis was Minoa, which he argues was simply a powerful, well-governed society that was -- by comparison to other surrounding states -- populated with very good artisans and engineers. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 08, 2013, 02:22:27 PM
No, Eddie, the book I suggested was written by an archeologist/Ph.D. and is a serious science book.  Not much unfounded speculation to be found in it.  Arthur C. Clarke is mentioned several times in the book.  The premise is not that Atlantis was some alien-founded/funded super-state.  No time travellers, remote viewers, alient technology, etc.  Essentially, he suggests that Atlantis was Minoa, which he argues was simply a powerful, well-governed society that was -- by comparison to other surrounding states -- populated with very good artisans and engineers.

You still trust Pellegrino after all that came out about him? Including his credentials. As of March 2010, every word that man has ever written is suspect and deserves further scrutiny.

I hadn't heard about that, Eddie.  Thanks for the info.  A quick look at Wikipedia does, indeed, suggest that Pellegrino lied about having a Ph.D.  Well, I suspect that some of what he said in the book I recommended may be true, but, crap, once again we have a grifter making a buck.  Well, at least I bought the book used for $3.50.  It' curious, because he really presents his theory without all the bells and whistles of alien intervention and the usual weird and cosmic explanations for what Atlantis really was.  Had he written as though Atlantis had been visited by aliens and such, his grifting would make a bit more sense to me.  Oh, well, anything for a dollar, right?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 09, 2013, 01:34:42 PM
I hadn't heard about that, Eddie.  Thanks for the info.  A quick look at Wikipedia does, indeed, suggest that Pellegrino lied about having a Ph.D.  Well, I suspect that some of what he said in the book I recommended may be true, but, crap, once again we have a grifter making a buck.  Well, at least I bought the book used for $3.50.  It' curious, because he really presents his theory without all the bells and whistles of alien intervention and the usual weird and cosmic explanations for what Atlantis really was.  Had he written as though Atlantis had been visited by aliens and such, his grifting would make a bit more sense to me.  Oh, well, anything for a dollar, right?
         Pellegrino has weathered the storm, Ian had him in the past year. I thought he was toast three years ago, because the Hiroshima tales lead to the background check...but his pal James Cameron appears to have stuck by him.

The type of thing he did really irks me, because like you, I thought the guy was seemingly above such nonsense(and had read his books on the Titanic and Vesuvius). It's one thing when C2C quacks fill their books with dubious "info", but when a John Batchelor regular is pulling those stunts, it feels like a betrayal. I expected more. My fault probably.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 06, 2013, 06:15:21 PM
Thank you for the lead to a read

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 08, 2013, 02:22:27 PM
The book I mentioned was speculative on finds such as a Minoan ship they found off Turkey.Though not that far form Crete.They found copper ingots in the wreck that when they were analized appeared to have come from deposits located in the Great Lakes. Also the found much amber and some items from India. Also ther is a certain chromosome type that has a higher percentage in areas  from Crete to asia minor that surprizingly found amoung Chippewas and some other tribe that was near the Great Lakes. 
Odd thing too the Minoan civilization built no walled cities.They had a trade empire but did not use force just the Bronze trade.They appear to have had a society that women were on a equal level with the men.The book also discusses evidece that the Minoans brought Maize(corn),tobacco, cocaine back fron the 'New Word'When they were digging up Santorini(Theirra) they found some beetles that were american tobacco beetles in the 'dig'.

I very much enjoy reading such material, exploring these theories as to how man/woman moved around the glove, the effect our nomadic/exploring tendencies have on other cultures.  Charles Mann has written some intriguing stuff on the impact of Columbus on North America (it sure wasn't all good). 

Falkie2013

Quote from: stlcoastfan1985 on January 29, 2013, 08:10:23 PM
That's exactly what I've been saying about how the show has changed over the past 5 years too. The extra amount of commercials might be because they need the money due to slipping ratings. Either that or they're selling out more air time to try and cram in as many ads as possible like so many other stations are doing now. Bottom line is that we all know Snoory can't hold a candle (let alone an audience) to the greatness and type of host that Art Bell was. Those that have been listening long enough and follow this site enough know all the reasons why that needs no further explanation. Still, it's one thing when you take over a show and know that you're not going to be the popular host from the past everyone loved so much (i.e. Jay Leno, Conan O'Brian, Jimmy Falon, Ryan Seacrest, etc.) and that you can only do your own thing as best as you can to try and live up to them and hope people will learn to like you, but it's another thing to totally and radically change the format and theme of a show that you turn away your original target audience that would otherwise still enjoy the topics no matter who the host was.

Overall I think he shoulda just left well enough alone and stayed with the same basic format and topics that made that show work and made it so popular all over the world. He may not have been able to fully replace Art Bell, but he certainly would have been able to succeed him well enough to keep me and millions of others interested and still listening to him, rather than chase us all off and have us write our bitter hate-filled comments on a forum website. But that's just my opinion as an old fashioned Art Bell loyalist!

"No mystery is closed to an open mind." -Tim White

Snoory doesn't have the skills that Art had. And his interviewing skills are almost nil.

That's why you have long breaks with the same crappy bumper music, " new artists " who suck and terrible singers.

And it's the same crappy music all of the time.

Art had hundreds of different songs so they didn't get played over and over and over, ad nausem.

Furthermore, Snoory's interviews far too often start out as love fests, where the guest starts by giving Jorge egoboo and tells us all what a WONDERFUL job Jorge is doing with the program. I've never heard a guest say, you've dragged down a great show to the depths of the sewer and kept it there for 10 years, nor are you likely to.

You did hear callers call Art and tell HIM how they appreciated the show and having it on in the middle of the night to keep them awake, with particular emphasis and appreciation by truckers who LOVED Art. But it wasn't to shill Art or boost his ego, it was regular people and not guests you've never heard of or whom get knocked off the air because Snoory loses it in mid program.

I keep hoping the Obamacare death panel provisions would have a clause that will kill off Coast to Coast in its present form and start over. The show deserves a mercy killing and the horrible host needs to be sent to those FEMA camps that Alex Jones talks so much about, but in Snoory's case it would be threefold :

First to a camp where they'd teach him interviewing and radio skills and not to continually shill products or his books or videos

Second to a camp where they TRY to give him some charisma.

Third where they force all knowledge of singing or karoake from Jorge's limited brain capacity forever, particularly the songs of Elvis Presley.

Elvis is probably spinning in his grave at warp speed every time Jorge sings his songs.

I didn't start out hating Snoory but yes, I now can say without any hesitation :

I HATE GEORGE NOORY

AND

I hate all he is, all he was and all he ever will be.

Forever.

danofold

As for me, I'm glad for the C2C's giving us ART BELL: Somewhere In Time. There is enough there to keep me happy. Also, I have found YouTube has tons of C2C stuff. I will lookinto this GroundZero stuff tomorrow. :)

dholbrook

I don't hate George at all. He has a great radio voice but I do believe he is not the best interviewer. I do like that he does treat his guest and callers with respect. Some of the other host, Ian, doesn't always do that. I've only listened for the past 15 to 18 years or so and I know others may like what they have on the program now and they can't always have shows on what I like.

I would like to know how to find out how the shows ratings are doing?

Anybody know where you can find that at?

FallenSeraph

Tonight's topic is mushrooms. THREE HOURS OF MUSHROOMS. Oh, and during the first hour, gold (of course).

It makes me want to weep.  :'(

Quote from: Seraphim27 on February 16, 2013, 01:25:16 PM
Tonight's topic is mushrooms. THREE HOURS OF MUSHROOMS. Oh, and during the first hour, gold (of course).

It makes me want to weep.  :'(

only would work if Terrence McKenna arose from the grave.