• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

"Emerging 'Artists'"

Started by DeeElf, December 03, 2012, 06:46:38 PM

DeeElf

How many of these "artists" have actually emerged?

McPhallus

Quote from: DeeElf on December 03, 2012, 06:46:38 PM

I'll try to be fair and say that music is a tough business.  For many of them still working as baristas or waitstaff for their "day job," C2C's misguided effort is probably a breakthrough for them, and, sadly, as far as most of them will ever get.

DeeElf

Quote from: McPhallus on December 03, 2012, 06:50:19 PM
I'll try to be fair and say that music is a tough business.  For many of them still working as baristas or waitstaff for their "day job," C2C's misguided effort is probably a breakthrough for them, and, sadly, as far as most of them will ever get.
I know.  I'm a (retired) musician and tried to "emerge" several times myself, but never in a desperate enough of a way to ask Snoory and the likes for help. 

GN's just giving them false hope.

ItsOver

Quote from: DeeElf on December 03, 2012, 06:46:38 PM

Well.... this "artist" "emerged," so to speak.  ;)

I believe Tommie's got him back under a rock for awhile.

ItsOver

Why that's the famous "Elvis" Noory, crooning in Toronto, before a tragic pizza roll accident cut short his promising singing future.

Morgus

Quote from: DeeElf on December 03, 2012, 07:17:17 PM
I'm a (retired) musician and tried to "emerge" several times myself, but never in a desperate enough of a way to ask Snoory and the likes for help. 
GN's just giving them false hope.

yeah like playing a portion of some song for a minute, once on a late night Sunday night show will be heard by someone that matters. the important guys are probably asleep at that time or busy not listening to c2c...

stevesh

Quote from: Morgus on December 03, 2012, 09:15:51 PM
yeah like playing a portion of some song for a minute, once on a late night Sunday night show will be heard by someone that matters. the important guys are probably asleep at that time or busy not listening to c2c...

Even if they got a minute. Most times, it's ten seconds with the voice-over guy giving out the telephone numbers. Even ten seconds is usually enough to tell that most of them suck, anyway.

Robert

What's the point of using these bits as bumper music?  Not only is bumper music a silly way to showcase talent (as has been pointed out upthread), it also serves only minimally as a bumper.  Yes, it's a talkover piece that keeps the segments from bumping into each other, and in that role just about anything will do -- even a few organ notes as they used to use on soap operas, Art Linkletter, game shows, & other stagey present'ns on TV for transitions.  But on C2C, MITD, & some other programs, they're best as familiar pieces of music that you need hear only a snatch of to recognize as a joke thematically related to the subject being discussed, or as an indication of how much of the program has elapsed (lots of shows use the same bumpers in the same order most times), or to say something else that requires only its own evocation rather than extended play.

What the "emerging artist" snatches on C2C remind me of is passages that Arbitron used to play to me to see whether I was familiar with or even sick of certain pieces.

Morgus

Quote from: Robert on September 07, 2015, 12:13:41 AM
What's the point of using these bits as bumper music?  Not only is bumper music a silly way to showcase talent (as has been pointed out upthread), it also serves only minimally as a bumper.  Yes, it's a talkover piece that keeps the segments from bumping into each other, and in that role just about anything will do -- even a few organ notes as they used to use on soap operas, Art Linkletter, game shows, & other stagey present'ns on TV for transitions.  But on C2C, MITD, & some other programs, they're best as familiar pieces of music that you need hear only a snatch of to recognize as a joke thematically related to the subject being discussed, or as an indication of how much of the program has elapsed (lots of shows use the same bumpers in the same order most times), or to say something else that requires only its own evocation rather than extended play.

What the "emerging artist" snatches on C2C remind me of is passages that Arbitron used to play to me to see whether I was familiar with or even sick of certain pieces.
Just goes to point out that Noory doesn't understand the point of bumper music, he just did the submerging artist thing as another stunt to show he is a "nice guy" trying to help these unknown artists...

Robert

Quote from: Morgus on September 07, 2015, 12:27:07 AMJust goes to point out that Noory doesn't understand the point of bumper music, he just did the submerging artist thing as another stunt to show he is a "nice guy" trying to help these unknown artists...
You're saying it was his idea?  I didn't think he had such input, figured it was a producer's or higher-up's idea.