• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

All time favoritre games

Started by stellawilson, September 30, 2012, 12:55:10 AM

Quote from: Up All Night on October 22, 2013, 11:15:55 PM
Back in the late 1990's early 2000's, I worked as a Customer Service rep for the Original Sony Playstation.

We had 19" TV's mounted between each two stations, and, when it was not too busy, the company would unlock "the cabinet" and pass out the Playstations and the controllers, and you could play any "Sony" game.

The other 30 CSR's could be categorized in one of four main categories of gamers:

Racing
    First Person Shooters
    Sports (Mainly NFL and Golf)
    Fantasy/Role Playing
There were some serious gamers that worked there. I was a Playstation fan, but was never as accomplised as those "hard core" folks.

What we did was mainly help people troubleshoot hooking up the Playstation to their TV/VCR, or returng the console if it was under warranty. There was some help on game-playing , of a very basic nature, as there was a "pay" line that Sony had for those kind of calls.

Was this in Foster City/Redwood Shores? I got hired by Sony for QA there (this was over 10 years ago) and passed on it for a QA position at Konami.

The CS people always got the craziest phone calls and letters from irate end-users. One of the places I was at had a wall where they'd post some of the craziest shit that was mailed in. You must have got some fun calls.

AC400KICK

Wizard of Wor for the Commodore 64

Up All Night

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 23, 2013, 09:34:53 AM
Was this in Foster City/Redwood Shores? I got hired by Sony for QA there (this was over 10 years ago) and passed on it for a QA position at Konami.

The CS people always got the craziest phone calls and letters from irate end-users. One of the places I was at had a wall where they'd post some of the craziest shit that was mailed in. You must have got some fun calls.

This was at a call center in the Dallas area. We were sub-contracted by Sony to do the CS.

There were weird calls --every-- day... We had to explain (nicely) that if your pet peeed on your playstation, then, that was a bio hazard, and you could not send it in to get worked on --- the warranty was invalidated by that.

The hard calls were the grandmas and grandpas calling in to get help to hook up the playstation that their grandchildren were "dropped off" with, to their 20 year old VCR, or their 30 year old TV--- the one with no 75ohm jack.... just rabbit ears...and the grandkids did not bring a rabbitt ear adapter....

The pitfalls in giving hook up directions were endless. Even if they have a "modern TV" with RCA connections, you had to get them to plud the yellow cable into in the video "IN" slot, and that cable had to plugged ---all the way in---.

It was challange, but it was satisfying to actually help someone get their playstation up and running.... You hear the response on the other end of the phone "IT'S ON ! ! ! " ans you know you did your job well.  8)

ADG12311990

Hmm... All time favorite... Arg, so many Star Wars games to choose from, but if I had to choose one, it would be Knights of the Old Republic.

I played my first xbox copy so much that the disc just stopped working one day in '05 or '06. Thankfully, I can play it nonstop now on Steam.

onan

Quote from: ADG12311990 on October 24, 2013, 06:59:06 PM
Hmm... All time favorite... Arg, so many Star Wars games to choose from, but if I had to choose one, it would be Knights of the Old Republic.

I played my first xbox copy so much that the disc just stopped working one day in '05 or '06. Thankfully, I can play it nonstop now on Steam.

gets my vote for third... Mass effect 1 and 2 are better imo.

area51drone

Man I have wasted a lot of time on video games.   My favorites, in no particular order..  obviously not a complete list of games but these are the ones I played the absolute shit out of

Battlefield 3 / Vietnam / 1943 / 1942
Dune (RTS)
Command and Conquer / Red Alert
GTA 3
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Ultima Underworld
Rainbow 6 Vegas / Vegas 2
Syndicate
SCUMM: Indiana Jones ones, Monkey Island series
Sierra: Kings Quest & Space Quest
Wing Commander series
X-Wing
MUME - Multi Users in Middle Earth
Lego Star Wars

I also collect pinball machines, spent a lot of time in high school on Black Knight 2000.   Love the following pinball machines (all of which I own):

Tron
Lord of the Rings
Spiderman
Cirqus Voltaire
Tales of the Arabian Knights
Star Trek the Next Generation
Indiana Jones
Whitewater
Star Wars
Cyclone
Black Knight 2000
Theatre of Magic
Terminator 2

Quote from: area51drone on October 25, 2013, 01:29:23 AM
I also collect pinball machines, spent a lot of time in high school on Black Knight 2000.   Love the following pinball machines (all of which I own):

Tron
Lord of the Rings
Spiderman
Cirqus Voltaire
Tales of the Arabian Knights
Star Trek the Next Generation
Indiana Jones
Whitewater
Star Wars
Cyclone
Black Knight 2000
Theatre of Magic
Terminator 2

God in heaven!

Hey everyone, the hang out's at Drone's place! Bring quarters!!

Love the Terminator 2 table. Also a big fan of Elvira and The Chase.

area51drone

Which Elvira?   I have Scared Stiff.  There was also Elvira and the Party Monsters.   Never heard of the "The Chase".. do you mean High Speed and/or High Speed 2: The Getaway?

Quote from: area51drone on October 25, 2013, 01:58:14 AM
Which Elvira?   I have Scared Stiff.  There was also Elvira and the Party Monsters.   Never heard of the "The Chase".. do you mean High Speed and/or High Speed 2: The Getaway?

Wow nailed it, yes I was thinking of the Getaway. And I was not aware there was more than one Elvira table.

area51drone

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 25, 2013, 02:09:57 AM
Wow nailed it, yes I was thinking of the Getaway. And I was not aware there was more than one Elvira table.

Getaway is a great game.  "Roger 504.  Apprehend 'em"   Very simple premise and ruleset which makes it a lot of fun because it's so easy for a novice to understand.  That super charger is pretty cool too.  I used to own the original High Speed, but I have friends who own Getaway so I get to play it all the time.

Quote from: area51drone on October 25, 2013, 02:14:32 AM
Getaway is a great game.  "Roger 504.  Apprehend 'em"   Very simple premise and ruleset which makes it a lot of fun because it's so easy for a novice to understand.  That super charger is pretty cool too.  I used to own the original High Speed, but I have friends who own Getaway so I get to play it all the time.

My favorite watering hole used to have The Getaway, Galaga and a Raiden machine in the quiet room off of the main bar. My buddies and I used to whittle away hours of our Saturday nights plugging them with quarters, drinking beers and ogling goth chicks.

There are only a few places left that have tables, at all, which is a depressing scenario I would have called apocalyptic at one point. A small sub place down the road has a "gone fishing" table and the Calgary airport has a number of very well stocked arcades, which was a pleasant surprise during a stopover. Otherwise I haven't seen any coin-ops around fora long time.

Sad how home consoles have killed off arcades. There is no comparison when it comes to social gaming.

Wintermute

Wow where to start?

Atari 2600:
Missile Command
Breakout
Bezerk
Cosmic Arc

NES:
Icari Warriors
Contra
Tecmo Bowl
Beach Kings

NES64:
Mario Cart
GoldenEye

PS2:
Time Splitters
SSX / SSX Tricky / SSX Tour
GTA3

Apple II / Mac Classic:
Snakes
Oregon Trail

Windows / PC:
Flight Sim
Terminal Velocity
Doom / Quake series
POD
Serious Sam 1st and 2nd encounter
Call Of Duty series
Flat-Out 2
Red Alert C&C
ATV Offroad
Dirt2

area51drone

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 25, 2013, 03:23:27 AM
There are only a few places left that have tables, at all, which is a depressing scenario I would have called apocalyptic at one point. A small sub place down the road has a "gone fishing" table and the Calgary airport has a number of very well stocked arcades, which was a pleasant surprise during a stopover. Otherwise I haven't seen any coin-ops around fora long time.

Sad how home consoles have killed off arcades. There is no comparison when it comes to social gaming.

"Gone Fishing" is actually called "Fish Tales".. another great game I used to own, sold it to a friend of mine to make room.  I'd like to have that one back, it's a blast.   

Arcades are making a comeback.   If you are ever in the Seattle area, there are a few of them that have sprouted up.  The Seattle Pinball Museum and Shorty's just to name two that are focused on pinball.   Then in Tacoma there is Dorky's with 30+ pinball machines and I think over 70 classic arcade games.    In Portland OR there is a place called Ground Kontrol that has both pinballs and classic video games as well.    All of these places are a lot of fun, a great place to go get a drink have some food and play games.

Quote from: area51drone on October 25, 2013, 12:30:50 PM
"Gone Fishing" is actually called "Fish Tales".. another great game I used to own, sold it to a friend of mine to make room.  I'd like to have that one back, it's a blast.   
You're right. My mistake for not doing some googling first!

Quote from: area51drone on October 25, 2013, 12:30:50 PM
Arcades are making a comeback.   If you are ever in the Seattle area, there are a few of them that have sprouted up.  The Seattle Pinball Museum and Shorty's just to name two that are focused on pinball.   Then in Tacoma there is Dorky's with 30+ pinball machines and I think over 70 classic arcade games.    In Portland OR there is a place called Ground Kontrol that has both pinballs and classic video games as well.    All of these places are a lot of fun, a great place to go get a drink have some food and play games.
The thought of this makes me happier than I can express in words.
And now that you mention it I've seen a vid on youtube inside Dorky's and I remember being blown away by what a great idea it was. I suppose a strong sense of nostalgia, along with wings and beer, can make any dream come true.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 25, 2013, 01:48:03 AM

Love the Terminator 2 table. Also a big fan of Elvira and The Chase.

Terminator 2 is a great one.
As far as the more accessible tables go, I love Lethal Weapon 3.

Pinball locator
http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

Up All Night

Favorite Sega CD game:

ROAD RASH

I loved watching the music videos after racing for hours...  :D

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 25, 2013, 07:39:47 PM
Terminator 2 is a great one.
As far as the more accessible tables go, I love Lethal Weapon 3.

Pinball locator
http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

Wow, really, LW3?   That's not a game I have ever heard anyone swoon over.   I do really like Data East titles though.

If anyone on bellgab is ever in the Seattle area for business or something and wants to meet up to play some pinball, I will buy you a beer and we can play some games at Dorky's if you can make it to Tacoma on a Wednesday night.   PM me.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on June 13, 2019, 06:59:58 AM
HOLY SHIT  ! ! !

R-TYPE is alive and kicking .     WOOT !    WOOT !

https://www.techeblog.com/konami-turbografx-16-pc-engine-mini/

Photograph Boy was the real deal on the engine but only the cool kids know it. 8)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 13, 2019, 11:10:12 AM
Photograph Boy was the real deal on the engine but only the cool kids know it. 8)

WHOAAAAA  -  Cool site.
Thanks Doc.        :)

starrmtn001

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on June 19, 2019, 01:05:03 AM

WHOAAAAA  -  Cool site.
Thanks Doc.        :)

OMG!  That looks like a poster for the first DNC presidential debate, (part 1), of 2019!   ;D ;D ;D

artbell_ghost

Quote from: StarrMountain on June 19, 2019, 07:57:19 AM
OMG!  That looks like a poster for the first DNC presidential debate, (part 1), of 2019!   ;D ;D ;D

sounds like something our starrmntn would have said! well played friend