• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Best Books You've Read that You Learned about on C2C

Started by stu3796, June 27, 2012, 01:47:57 PM

Quote from: CampsieNP on September 26, 2013, 09:52:47 PM
I loved it on the recent Dark Matter, when Art spoke again about Terri Gerritsen's novel Gravity.
When Art said how much he liked the book years ago, of course, I went right out, got it, and read it.
If Art recommends a book or a movie, I am SO there.
When he brought up this novel, I laughed to remember I ran right out and got the book when he told us we would like it.

I remember when he had the author Tess Gerritsen on years ago.  He mentioned that book again this week on one of the new shows - he wanted to let everyone know the new movie coming out called Gravity was NOT based on the book.  I think he said it was the best book he ever read

I went right out and bought it too.  I was surprised that it had come out years earlier.  I thought it was pretty mediocre - it can't possibly the best book Art or anyone else has ever read.  I've read a few of her newer novels and they're better but still just ok, and not sci-fi.  The characters from those books are featured on the TV show Rizzoli & Isles, which I have not seen.

Maybe Art really liked the premise and just flipped through the book.

BattyBrooke

I've not read them yet, but this still seems to be applicable as I am confident it WILL be one of the best books (there are 2 in the series thus far) I've ever read and that is the two books by David Paulides regarding his extensive research and documentation (not to mention flat out riveting story telling) of mysterious disappearances. They are titled Missing 411 - Western United States & Canada: Unexplained Disappearances of North Americans That Have Never Been Solved and the other is Missing 411 - Eastern United States: Disappearances of North Americans That Have Never Been Solved. Truly scary (to put it lightly) stuff. He's been a phenomenal guest and I truly hope Art has him on Dark Matter in the near future.

aldousburbank

Paulides coming up C2C I believe, Knapp. Don't know. Don't go there.

UrbanFool

I discovered Zecharia Sitchin's works on C2C. Also, there was One Second After by William Forsyth. (Forsten?) Something. We moved not too long ago and the majority of my books are in boxes.

How to Pray when You're Pissed at God - Ian Punnett.
Psychic Blues: Confessions of a Conflicted Medium - Mark Edward

I know there are more, I just can't think of them.

FallenSeraph

Missing 411 (Eastern United States) â€" David Paulides

. . . and

Glynis Has Your Number â€" Glynis McCants (KIDDING. I can't type that with a straight face.)

area51drone

Quote from: Seraphim27 on October 13, 2013, 08:11:18 AM
Missing 411 (Eastern United States) â€" David Paulides

I read Missing 411 West, my Dad got it for me, signed by Paulides!  Got about, oh, I don't know, maybe a third or half way into it and got to two disappearances in my area that I am familiar with.   Both should not have been included in this book.   It gave me a very bad taste in my mouth - this guy did not do the research he claims to have done.   Not to mention that the book is VERY poorly written.   It reads like a police blotter or something.    If you can stand hundreds of pages of just information (that might be inaccurate), then you might find it interesting.    On the other hand, I think Paulides is incredibly interesting to listen to on the radio, accurate or not, and I listened to the Knapp show on replay after I finished up Art's shows this weekend.  Paulides was as good as ever.   

CornyCrow

Quote from: area51drone on October 14, 2013, 09:00:23 PM
I read Missing 411 West, my Dad got it for me, signed by Paulides!  Got about, oh, I don't know, maybe a third or half way into it and got to two disappearances in my area that I am familiar with.   Both should not have been included in this book.   It gave me a very bad taste in my mouth - this guy did not do the research he claims to have done.   Not to mention that the book is VERY poorly written.   It reads like a police blotter or something.    If you can stand hundreds of pages of just information (that might be inaccurate), then you might find it interesting.    On the other hand, I think Paulides is incredibly interesting to listen to on the radio, accurate or not, and I listened to the Knapp show on replay after I finished up Art's shows this weekend.  Paulides was as good as ever.

I dislike books like that, just compendiums of one case after another, many very similar, with very little analysis included.  Many books on 'strange' things seem to be this way.

Can you possibly share a bit of what you believe to be inaccurate?  It's not everyday that we meet a person who has knowledge of these cases. 

henge0stone

Graham Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods Really a fun read. It's also the only one I've read except Art Bell's books.

b_dubb

Making Stuff Up For Fun and Profit. Joint authored by Hoagland, Dames, Reed, Greer and someone named Et Cetera

Juan Cena

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 30, 2012, 10:37:13 PM
          Coyle has amassed quite a book collection over the years, much to the dismay to those who had the misfortune of cohabitating with him. Anyways, Coyle just visited "the study"(an attic room to normal people) and realized while a great many of these books could fall under the penumbra of "C2C topics", very few were actually purchased due to C2C itself. Considering how long I've listened(17 years) and how many books I have...this is a pretty damning commentary on C2C's influence. Though I prefer to see it as my being too smart for most C2C's guests jackassery and hucksterism.

The following are books I own that I can honestly say were purchased due to hearing their author on C2C. Shock of shocks, Noory ain't well represented.

Howard Bloom "The Lucifer Principle", 1995 release, but I heard him on with Art in December, 2002 and bought the book.
         Michael Christopher Carroll  "Lab 257" ...a guest of Noory August, 2005. Interesting book about germ warfare lab
        Alex Abella "Soldiers of Reason"  A July, 2008 guest of Ian talking about the RAND Corp
and their role in global affairs, particularly in Cold War
         Robert Wilcox  "Target Patton"  December, 2008 guest of Ian, the book itself is a rather dubious tale/confession about Patton's December 1945 death
         Adam Gorightly  "The Shadow Over Santa Susana" On with Ian, July, 2009. A rather good Idiot's guide to the Manson lore...
          Thaddeus Russell "A Renegade's History To the United States" On with Ian, November 2010...interesting, while not always credible or plausible, but fun for pissing off people.
       David Browne "Fire and Rain"   Guest of Knapp, June 2011. If you're a fan of CSNY or The Beatles, James Taylor or Simon and Garfunkel...the book chronicles their turbulent year of 1970. Quite good...but geared toward music fans
        Mel O Yellow "If You Be My Dog, Then I'll Be Your Tree And You Can Pee On Me: A Journey Through Urolagnia in Modern Times". This guy was on with Wells in May 2012.

Well that's it. One may be my being a sarcastic ass who figured people stopped reading many words ago, but the others are legit. And notice how I have ZERO books from Noory or Hoagland. I'm proud of that. I want it mentioned in my obituary.

I actually called in when Ian interviewed Browne. I asked Browne about Phil Spector's role in the recording of Let it Be, and how Paul McCartney and John Lennon were on opposite sides about Spector.

WildCard

Quote from: unclejoey on October 12, 2008, 04:34:01 PM
One thing that our Earth lacks is a definitive list of awesome guests of Art Bell's programs.  I will start it off, and I would greatly appreciate any input.  Please don't add anyone that isn't awesome.  In order to be considered awesome, a guest must have super powers or know REALLY secret stuff, etc.  Michio Kaku, for example, cannot make the list of awesome guests because he is just really smart and doesn't have any super powers or know anything REALLY secret. Mel Waters, on the other had, does make the list because he has first hand experience with an arguably REALLY secret hole.

Ingo Swann
Major Ed Dames
Dr. Harold Puthoff
Father Malachi Martin
Richard C. Hoagland
Mel Waters
Quote from: unclejoey on October 13, 2008, 11:49:09 AM
You crossed out Major Ed Dames, but you left Ingo Swann...you're one strange cat.
-ripped from  "The definitive list of awesome guests"

Quote from: sillydog on April 06, 2008, 04:37:38 PM
I enjoyed the hell out of the Ingo Swan interview a few years ago, but Dr. Doom and many of his coleauges are impressively deluded huckseters, IMHO.  However, the idea that this could be a real thing keeps nagging me.  Is there anyone out there who is actually doing some real RV work?
Quote from: Camazotz Automat on April 07, 2008, 08:00:21 PM
I remember when Art Bell talked about a computer program he used that tested telekinetic ability over a period of time by your ability to cause a certain picture to coalesce or not.  Art said when he concentrated on the program as instructed, his score did seem to go higher.  For some crazy reason, Dames "remote viewed" the program and told Art the program was sensing the presence of the viewer by detecting the electrical signal of their heart!  When the program detected the heartbeat, the program inserted higher activity scores to make you "think" you had telekinetic abilities, that it was a deceptive program.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle stealth black.

(shaking head)   

I located a copy of the program and as far as I can tell, it functions as a random image/number generator and is not deceptive.

It would indeed be amazing if a piece of software could detect a human heartbeat without adding any new sensors/hardware to the computer! Idiot! I can't stand Dames.  When Dames is a guest with Noory sucking/hosting, it's like getting knocked in the head with a tube-sock full of D batteries.

Noory should grow a pair and take Dames to the mat like he somewhat did with Sylvia Browne, who also causes me to projectile vomit. 

The manner in which Dames handled the missing pilot Steve Fossett was ludicrous, Dames initially claiming "his team" was going to "put boots on the ground" and find the plane wreck - only later to change his tune, claiming he had provided the coordinates to those in charge of the search.

I believe a wild talent does exist, call it intuition, clairvoyance, ESP, remote viewing ... or the X- Factor as Colin Wilson once labeled it.

However, whatever "it" is, Dames doesn't possess it and he sure as blazes isn't qualified to teach it.

-ripped from "Are there any Remote Viewers who aren't full of shit?"

"I think an effective religion has to be one that graces life with workableness - not with solace nor escapism. A true religious perspective is one in which life gets better as a result of having a religion, instead of worse. Life in America seems to stress the worst aspects of religion, because life is getting worse and worse."
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/6a5a481b

Skinwalker Ranch by Knapp. Great, GREAT read. Knapp is a good writer.

And sorry, Corso's book was actually sent to Thurmond's staff without the Alien stuff and he penned the Introduction off of that. The Roswell stuff was put in later and the later editions are missing the intro because of that. And I am of the belief that Bill Birnes penned the Roswell material to sell the old fellow's book.

Anything by Loren Coleman is good. While I have my doubts about many of the things he writes about he comes across as a serious author with a genuine interest in scholarship. His book on the history of Bigfoot is one of favorites because it traces the legend so well.

Richard Dolan's "UFOs and the National Security State". I have a fairly wide interest in the Cold War and enjoyed Dolan's work, even though I doubt any of the stuff is actually an alien. It's more fun to read between the lines of both his books and see how the Cold War and the UFO flaps intersected.

nbirnes

Quote from: Saucer Smeared on May 19, 2015, 05:25:16 PM
Skinwalker Ranch by Knapp. Great, GREAT read. Knapp is a good writer.

And sorry, Corso's book was actually sent to Thurmond's staff without the Alien stuff and he penned the Introduction off of that. The Roswell stuff was put in later and the later editions are missing the intro because of that. And I am of the belief that Bill Birnes penned the Roswell material to sell the old fellow's book.

Sorry, Saucer Smeared. Totally wrong about Birnes and Corso. I was there, helped with the edit at times, hand-held Corso at times, and definitely attended the Roswell fete in '97 with all of them. I have all the stages of the ms. in boxes as we speak. Obviously the Roswell stuff wasn't "put in later" because remember, the name of the book  alerted even the oldest reader as to the contents.

Also, when you are working with a publisher as big as Simon & Schuster with a book as big as that one became, there are lawyers all over the thing. I can fill in any details that you would like to know, but I do want to keep the record straight.