• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 8 Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, March 05, 2012, 04:04:20 PM

onan

Quote from: MV on July 14, 2013, 09:31:06 AM
Heh heh... yeah... it really is just a bunch of consumer-ish crap.

Am I just old, or does the advertizing for windows 8 and the latest tablet seem to be more about gymnastics than work?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on July 14, 2013, 09:48:39 AM

Am I just old, or does the advertizing for windows 8 and the latest tablet seem to be more about gymnastics than work?

That's the problem. Microsoft sees Apple, a company making hip, innovative products that people want to buy... and Microsoft exclaims, "Hey! We wanna be that company, too!"

Step one is to fire Steve Ballmer. He's old, he has no vision, he's not a particularly nice man, and he's destroying the company. By every available metric, Microsoft has underperformed over the last decade with Ballmer as king.

If they really want to be an interesting company again, they need to get some 25 year old guy as CEO who has a great vision and who doesn't care what happens. A risk taker. That's what they need.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on July 13, 2013, 07:07:39 AM
Then good news on 2 fronts... I will d/l 8.1 today and also start using firefox again... What is it with these browsers? one day they are efficient and easily used and then bloat city.

Great planning.  Windows 8 is not compatible with many of the major anti-virus programs.  This includes Kaspersky which I use.  It was removed from my laptop during the installation of "8" without any notification.  Take the word "beta" very seriously.

Microsoft needs to realize its days of unbridled expansion are long past over, and it's time to take careful stock of assets (Office still has a virtual monopoly in enterprise, but they've damaged their desktop OS and Xbox markets - the latter two being profound fuck ups), and resist counter-image product direction.  MS were never "cool" like Apple, so they should stop wasting money trying to be.

Ballmer was a decent leader for a free-swinging company back when its punches landed (even considering his silly viral videos on YouTube), and before, when Gates needed him around as his bulldog, but the hubris looks silly now. Gotta say, he'd be a hell of a guy to party with, though.

They could take a lesson or two from their old nemesis, IBM, who have done some interesting things to stay afloat after their heyday of big iron mainframes was waning, and the PC clones stalled their home computer advances.