• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

Started by Gd5150, February 09, 2018, 11:25:19 PM

Up All Night

Global warming Strikes again ! ! !  >:(

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea (AP) -- The Winter Olympics are supposed to be cold, of course. Just maybe not THIS cold.

Wind and ice pellets left Olympic snowboarders simply trying to stay upright in conditions that many felt were unfit for competition, the best ski jumpers on the planet dealing with swirling gusts and biathletes aiming to shoot straight.

All around the games, athletes and fans are dealing with conditions that have tested even the most seasoned winter sports veterans.

Low temperatures have hovered in the single digits, dipping below zero Fahrenheit with unforgiving gusts whipping at 45 mph (70 kph) making it feel much colder. Organizers have shuffled schedules, and shivering spectators left events early.

The raw air sent hundreds of fans to the exits Sunday when qualifying was called off after women's slopestyle devolved into a mess of mistakes, and Monday's final started 75 minutes late. Of the 50 runs, 41 ended with a fall or a rider essentially giving up. The temperature dropped to 3 Fahrenheit, with high winds.

American Jamie Anderson won the gold medal by watching most of her competitors struggle, and then completing a conservative run that paled in comparison to her winning performance at the X Games just two weeks ago.

"It has to be absolutely petrifying, terrifying, being up that high in the air, and having a gust 30 mph coming sideways at you," said United States Ski and Snowboard Association CEO Tiger Shaw.

Many of the snowboarders didn't think they should have been out there.

"You're going up the chairlift and you see these little tornadoes," said Czech snowboarder Sarka Pancohova, who finished 16th, "and you're like, 'What is this?'"

At ski jumping, giant netting was set up to reduce the wind that can blow at three times the optimal velocity for the sport. Didn't help all that much, though: The men's normal hill final on Saturday was pushed back repeatedly and eventually finished after midnight.

"It was unbelievably cold," said Japan's Noriaki Kasai, competing at his record eighth Olympics. "The noise of the wind at the top of the jump was incredible. I've never experienced anything like that on the World Cup circuit. I said to myself, 'Surely, they are going to cancel this.'"

Alpine skiing, meanwhile, still hasn't been able to get started at all, leaving stars like Mikaela Shiffrin of the U.S. and Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway waiting for their turn in the spotlight. Each of the first two races on the program â€" the men's downhill Sunday, and the women's giant slalom Monday â€" were called off hours before they were supposed to begin. Both of those have been moved to Thursday, when things are supposed to become slightly more manageable.

The forecast calls for more high winds Tuesday and Wednesday, although temperatures are expected to climb to 26.

"I am pretty sure that soon," men's race director Markus Waldner said with a wry smile, "we will have a race."

Until then, he and other officials are left trying to come up with contingency plans and ways to get the full 11-race Alpine program completed before the Olympics are scheduled to close on Feb. 25.

As it is, logistical complications are real concerns.

Waldner pointed out that he needs to figure out a way to get three men's races â€" the combined, downhill and super-G â€" completed by Friday, because there is only one hotel right by the speed course at the Jeongseon Alpine Center. The male skiers need to vacate their rooms to make way for their female counterparts, whose speed events are supposed to begin Saturday.

"Now, it's getting tight," he said.

Even those attending indoor events have been tested. Long, cold waits for buses have left workers, media and fans complaining.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wind-ice-cold-making-olympics-too-wintry-122753785.html

=Schlyder=

NBC reporter gets booted after insulting all Koreans by saying on air that Koreans appreciate all that Japanese culture has done to influence Koreans.
LOL  Fucking idiot leftard.  Trying to throw out some mindless liberal idealism bullshit, and ends up causing an international incident.    LOL I thought Liberals were supposed to be more intelligent than the rest of us?

GravitySucks

Quote from: =Schlyder= on February 12, 2018, 12:59:06 PM
NBC reporter gets booted after insulting all Koreans by saying on air that Koreans appreciate all that Japanese culture has done to influence Koreans.
LOL  Fucking idiot leftard.  Trying to throw out some mindless liberal idealism bullshit, and ends up causing an international incident.    LOL I thought Liberals were supposed to be more intelligent than the rest of us?

They are, they just haven’t had time to rewrite all the history yet.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 03:13:44 AM
I can't stand to watch the 2018 NBC coverage...

In 1988, NBC had Bryant Gumbel hosting the prime time coverage in Seoul:

And, now, 30 years later, this is who NBC comes up with...Mike Tirico!! Can't stand this chrome dome's face, at all. I just turn the channel, which, I still have a right to do, I think, without being charged with some kind of crime.

I was happy to see that Mike is the announcer for prime time coverage. He's a cheerful, personable guy and I have watched him for a number of years, now.  I have never enjoyed watching Gumbel though.  He is (was?) too standoffish and aloof, but, hey, to each his own.

As far as the Olympics go thus far, no new surprises, especially in the judging of figure skating.  I watched the Canadian guy do his routine for the Team competition and he fell on his ass twice and I believe he touched the ice once.  Then a little latter that gay fella came out and did a flawless performance for the USA team.  The judges gave the Canadian a higher score.

Has anybody noticed how crappy the sound is at times?  Every so often the audio gets broken up and at others, the sound is low, then gets loud all at once.  Commercials too.  NBC is providing coverage so I don't know if it's with them or if it's my cable provider.  All the rest of my channels sound great. 

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 12, 2018, 02:53:44 PM
...  Then a little latter that gay fella came out and did a flawless performance for the USA team.  The judges gave the Canadian a higher score...

What to do, what to do...  On the one hand, he gets major points for being gay, on the other hand he's an American.  With the Ds and the pretend media, America-hating always supersedes everything else, so Canada it is.

What a phony bunch of garbage.  It seems like half the foreign delegation are really Americans, joining other teams because they were originally from there, or their parents or grandparents were.  Or how about the white guys changing their citizenship so they can skate for Korea and Japan.  LOL.

I've never really watched the Olympics, when I was a kid I heard about the US/Russia basketball game with last few seconds being replayed over and over until the Russkies won and decided I'd never watch.  Which is easy since I don't know a thing about most of the events, and don't care.

At college I had the only TV in the dorm and had a friend insist we watch the US/Russia hockey game, so I lucked into seeing the Miracle On Ice - and I've watched some skating here and there, but not every Olympics.  This year I'm recording it and buzzing through to see the skating. 

Who is the puny fag with the elaborate hairdo?  Reminds me that Dear Abby once said she couldn't tell who was gay and who wasn't by looking at them or hearing them talk.  Kind of hard to miss, Abbs... 

Gd5150

They should throw all of them out for trying to make duck dongs sister into a “Star”. I’m sure the free people of South Korea are enjoying taking a back seat to her.

Quotecan you imagine what the North Korean state run propaganda newspapers are doing with these stories

Cutting and pasting them word for word?

https://youtu.be/QwJzs-099n0

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 12, 2018, 02:53:44 PM
I was happy to see that Mike is the announcer for prime time coverage. He's a cheerful, personable guy and I have watched him for a number of years, now.  I have never enjoyed watching Gumbel though.  He is (was?) too standoffish and aloof, but, hey, to each his own...

The only current announcers I despise that come to mind right now are Brent Musburger, Joe Buck, and the god-awful Beth Mowins.  I'd probably have a longer list if I still watched sports.

albrecht

Ever watched Jeopardy! with the CNN and media types are on it for a special celebrity version? It is hilarious. They even get wrong answers about things that they supposedly cover and are experts in, like geography, political figures, history, even recent events, etc.

Up All Night

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on February 12, 2018, 04:32:32 PM
Who is the puny fag with the elaborate hairdo?  Reminds me that Dear Abby once said she couldn't tell who was gay and who wasn't by looking at them or hearing them talk.  Kind of hard to miss, Abbs...

http://bellgab.com/index.php?topic=11898.msg1155899#msg1155899

Up All Night

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 03:13:44 AM
I can't stand to watch the 2018 NBC coverage...

In 1988, NBC had Bryant Gumbel hosting the prime time coverage in Seoul:

And, now, 30 years later, this is who NBC comes up with...Mike Tirico!! Can't stand this chrome dome's face, at all. I just turn the channel, which, I still have a right to do, I think, without being charged with some kind of crime.

I've had a change of heart about Mike Tirico... I watched him interview the women's half-pipe gold medal winner, and it was all enjoyable to watch. I think Mike's lost the glasses, and his delivery solo to the camera, is okay, as well.

Gd5150

Wow “the flying tomato” Shaun White with an epic run on his final turn to bring home the gold. Pretty awesome!

Congrats to he and Chloe Kim for bringing home the gold. Both from SoCal.

trostol

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 13, 2018, 09:21:43 PM
Wow “the flying tomato” Shaun White with an epic run on his final turn to bring home the gold. Pretty awesome!

his last run was insane

Quote from: trostol on February 13, 2018, 09:47:21 PM
his last run was insane

yes, going that fast on something that has no brakes is the whole point.  ;)

albrecht

That Japanese guy who crashed looked bad. Man, hope he was ok. Slams into the side after whatever those moves are called and then...falls 22ft to the base and crash. Ouch.

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2018, 11:01:28 PM
That Japanese guy who crashed looked bad. Man, hope he was ok. Slams into the side after whatever those moves are called and then...falls 22ft to the base and crash. Ouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo785F3KV08

Up All Night

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 13, 2018, 09:21:43 PM

Americans invented the snowboarding sport... glad to see the US dominating in the Gold.

Is the reason that men are bigger, that they get bigger air and do more turns than the girls??

GravitySucks

Quote from: Up All Night on February 14, 2018, 12:48:46 AM
Americans invented the snowboarding sport... glad to see the US dominating in the Gold.

Is the reason that men are bigger, that they get bigger air and do more turns than the girls??

Combination of mass(weight), muscle mass and anatomical difference that provide more leverage. Plus men are generally more stupid so they will try really stupid shit.

The weight is advantageous to getting up to speed and maintaining that speed (f=ma)

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 14, 2018, 12:58:59 AM
Combination of mass(weight), muscle mass and anatomical difference that provide more leverage. Plus men are generally more stupid so they will try really stupid shit.

The weight is advantageous to getting up to speed and maintaining that speed (f=ma)
"Hold my beer- watch this...."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5576160/kim-jong-un-impersonator-kicked-out-winter-olympics/
Not as good as the Teddy Roosevelt guy at the last WC but in a way better because the diminutive despot is still alive and done in front of his brain-washed cheerleaders.

Apparently Shaun White is facing sexual harassment "allegations" and his handling of the flag was disrespectful- but I put that off to not paying attention after a big win, come-back.

Hog

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 14, 2018, 12:58:59 AM

Yup, just like the sliding events, even if they had similar start times.

peace
Hog

Gd5150

A few weeks ago Lindsay Vons decided to insult President Trump.

Today a Czech took the gold.

Lesson, don’t fuck with the Russians. 😂

albrecht

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 16, 2018, 11:59:03 PM
A few weeks ago Lindsay Vons decided to insult President Trump.

Today a Czech took the gold.

Lesson, don’t fuck with the Russians. 😂

And even really a skier?
https://apnews.com/d63e11d7746d4893bdaf3389601b7e20/'Is-this-a-kind-of-mistake?%27-Snowboarder-wins-Alpine-gold

Quote from: albrecht on February 18, 2018, 01:34:29 PM
NBC... Then they hired the anti-Trumper in hopes of increasing the plummeting ratings...

Hi, we're the fake news media.  You wouldn't expect us to be stupid, but we are.

Quote from: albrecht on February 18, 2018, 01:34:29 PM
... Then they hired the anti-Trumper in hopes of increasing the plummeting ratings.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/winter-olympics-2018/2018/02/18/adam-rippon-work-nbc-correspondent-remainder-2018-winter-olympics/349145002/

A day later he decided he ''wanted to stay in the Olympic Village and support his teammates'', and turned the job down. 

LOL.  Sure, that's what happened. 

GravitySucks

How long before two skaters, both born with peepees are entered in the pairs competition because one identifies as a woman?