• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 31, 2018, 04:46:12 PM
Yeah. He doesn’t just play a doctor on the internet, you know.

Just sayin. Another possibility is that two different things are going on simultaneously. Only an expert examining you personally will be able to tell. So, if you're having problems you should probably get to one. ;)

ksm32

Quote from: Jojo on January 29, 2018, 08:11:36 AM

Stayed active, built activity into work day

Do you have a desk job? Asking because some jobs are a very sedentary eight hours of redundant repetition. I know a few people who have these jobs and they have to get very creative at times just to do anything beneficial to counteract sitting there all day. I know a very nice looking woman who flexes her glutes for ten minutes at a time while sitting there.. This will not be enough, if she keeps the job she's sure to become something rather unbecoming of her current self.  She does have a rather nice onion 8) for now..

GravitySucks

Quote from: ksm32 on February 01, 2018, 03:21:54 AM
Do you have a desk job? Asking because some jobs are a very sedentary eight hours of redundant repetition. I know a few people who have these jobs and they have to get very creative at times just to do anything beneficial to counteract sitting there all day. I know a very nice looking woman who flexes her glutes for ten minutes at a time while sitting there.. This will not be enough, if she keeps the job she's sure to become something rather unbecoming of her current self.  She does have a rather nice onion 8) for now..

These are great to keep your trunk toned when you work at a desk - gaia ball chair

Jackstar

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 31, 2018, 04:30:49 PM
the migraine shuts down my stomach and makes it bloat

I am reasonably confident that both state and Federal law prohibit me from explicitly telling you which one of those circles to read closely, but if you declare fealty to me, become my sworn disciple, and funnel donations to my fiefdom, then you may subscribe to my newsletter.

Meanwhile--have you tried the sardines in a blender? What does that do for your bloating? Post pics.

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on February 01, 2018, 03:21:54 AM
In 2017, I was grateful because I had a LOT of physical activity on the job.  At the moment, it is still true on most days!  What a blessing!

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 31, 2018, 02:22:07 PM
It's not a parasite. I'm familiar with the symptoms of common parasites found in contaminated fish and meat. Stomach and intestinal parasites generally cause extreme fatigue, pain, tenderness nausea, pooping out bits of worms and other fun symptoms that I don't have. Fish tapeworms or anisakisosis have such symptoms. The raw fish is sushi. As long as you get it from a reputable sushi restaurant, there is minimal risk. Same with the raw meat. For example, steak tartare is popular at restaurants. It is raw ground meat, either beef or horse, with a raw egg yolk added. Contaminated meat is virtually unheard of from good restaurants and good butchers.

I think the gut is because it simply takes a long time to lose fat, and losing visceral belly fat is the most difficult area to lose fat. I just went over the math, counting what I have eaten versus what I have burned. Progress is slow because my calorie deficit is very moderate. I'm eating an average of 300 kCal per day fewer than I burn. It's been one month, and in one month, I've burned around 9000 more kCal than I have eaten. Assuming a deficit of 7000 kCal translates to the loss of one pound of fat, I calculate that I have lost barely more than 1 pound of fat since I started one month ago.

My progress is slow, but it is sustainable compaired to a crash diet.
Is not one pound 3500 calories?
Once I got fish poisoning into my bloodstream just from handling raw fish.  So, if raw fish is in the mouth, could a person get fish posoning into their bloodstream through the mucous membrane or any little cut or gum problem area?!

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 01, 2018, 03:34:54 AM
These are great to keep your trunk toned when you work at a desk - gaia ball chair

For women of a certain age, that is a yeast infection waiting to happen... Maybe they could upholster some of those these for breathability of fibers!

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 31, 2018, 05:00:38 PM
Just sayin. Another possibility is that two different things are going on simultaneously. Only an expert examining you personally will be able to tell. So, if you're having problems you should probably get to one. ;)
Imbalanced hormones prevent weight loss.  That's why women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) have difficulty!

Jojo

Bloating is one of those things where you know that all that stuff on the inside is gonna come out!

I gave up a couple things due to bloating:
Wheat (noodles, bread, crackers, modified food starch, etc...).
Dairy (with some exceptions in small quantity), including milk based meal replacement drinks and no powdered dairy drinks like presweetened cocoa.

As for medium to hard cheeses, I don't know it they make me bloat.  But they increase asthma.

Yes, one pound of fat is 3500 calories, technically, according to the laws of physics. However, weight loss experts report that it doesn't work out like that: 3500 cal per pound. Instead, they report that in practice, it generally comes out to one pound of fat for 7000 cal. That said, everybody is different, but everybody will lose weight when in a calorie deficit long enough. Some people just lose fat faster. There aren't any fat people in a famine or a concentration camp.

The problem is that the body wants to keep the fat, especially gut fat. The body burns muscle before it burns the fat. It will do anything to avoid losing the fat. So, in practice, you may end up losing  muscle (3500 cal worth) along with that pound of fat. To minimize muscle loss, experts advise exercise along with the diet.

I have a desk job, but I'm trying things to avoid sitting for too long. I have tried the yoga ball. It's good for a change. Also stand at my keyboard in a yoga horse stance so I'm just as low as I would be if I were sitting in a chair. I get up and take lots of breaks.

I have in fact tried the sardines in a blender. It's terrific with hot sauce and some herbs and spices and sauces. Then spread it on toast. Great appetizer.

Quote from: Jojo on February 02, 2018, 11:20:40 AM
Is not one pound 3500 calories?
Once I got fish poisoning into my bloodstream just from handling raw fish.  So, if raw fish is in the mouth, could a person get fish posoning into their bloodstream through the mucous membrane or any little cut or gum problem area?!

I lost a full day because of that migraine. I went around all day today thinking it was Thursday. The bloating is gone. Went to doctor and pharmacist and got a triptan and Tramadol. Seems like my clothes fit a little better than they did this time last month.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on February 02, 2018, 11:33:16 AM
For women of a certain age, that is a yeast infection waiting to happen... Maybe they could upholster some of those these for breathability of fibers!

I don’t believe it would be an issue. Your glutes stay on the ball but your yoni is kind of suspended. Several women I know use them after trying mine. I did have to tell them to stop sending women into my office to ask if the could try “sitting on my ball” and to change it to “sitting on my Gaia chair”.

Jojo

Quotee
Quote from: GravitySucks on February 02, 2018, 02:14:46 PM
I don’t believe it would be an issue. Your glutes stay on the ball but your yoni is kind of suspended. Several women I know use them after trying mine. I did have to tell them to stop sending women into my office to ask if the could try “sitting on my ball” and to change it to “sitting on my Gaia chair
You have one ball!

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on February 02, 2018, 01:29:01 PM
Yes, one pound of fat is 3500 calories, technically, according to the laws of physics. However, weight loss experts report that it doesn't work out like that: 3500 cal per pound. Instead, they report that in practice, it generally comes out to one pound of fat for 7000 cal. That said, everybody is different, but everybody will lose weight when in a calorie deficit long enough. Some people just lose fat faster. There aren't any fat people in a famine or a concentration camp.

The problem is that the body wants to keep the fat, especially gut fat. The body burns muscle before it burns the fat. It will do anything to avoid losing the fat. So, in practice, you may end up losing  muscle (3500 cal worth) along with that pound of fat. To minimize muscle loss, experts advise exercise along with the diet.

I have a desk job, but I'm trying things to avoid sitting for too long. I have tried the yoga ball. It's good for a change. Also stand at my keyboard in a yoga horse stance so I'm just as low as I would be if I were sitting in a chair. I get up and take lots of breaks.

I have in fact tried the sardines in a blender. It's terrific with hot sauce and some herbs and spices and sauces. Then spread it on toast. Great appetizer.

I lost a full day because of that migraine. I went around all day today thinking it was Thursday. The bloating is gone. Went to doctor and pharmacist and got a triptan and Tramadol. Seems like my clothes fit a little better than they did this time last month.
Glad you're feeling better!  It's great when clothes fit better.  I'm surprised at that 7000 calorie info.

Quote from: Jojo on February 03, 2018, 04:14:14 AM
Glad you're feeling better!  It's great when clothes fit better.  I'm surprised at that 7000 calorie info.
Thanks. I'm exercising again and trying keep up an average of a 400 kCal per day calorie deficit. 

The physiology of weight loss is surprisingly complicated.  It is virtually impossible to spot focus the weight loss on belly fat, for example. For the body will digest its own muscle before it burns the fat. Also, some foods are thought of as being "negative calorie" foods. Your body burns energy to digest them, and their calories are not as readily available. An example would be the difference between drinking a Coke and eating a carrot. The coke digests fast, and most of the sugar that is not burned immediately can turn into fat. With the carrot, it digests slowly and less efficiently. Still, the weight loss obeys the law of conservation of energy. When calories out exceeds calories in, you will lose weight. It's physically impossible not to, unless you're severely constipated or something. I've never seen a fat expert-level marathon runner, so, I'm trying to look at it like that.

Millions of people who fail at losing weight become confused about the physics of it and the laws of conservation of energy and mass. They've convinced themselves that they magically violate the laws of physics.They have even invented something called "Fat Logic" to explain their failure, and they  have tons of pseudoscience websites and books trying to blame the laws of physics or bad genes or whatever for their failure to get fit.  Their reasoning is even worse than those bogus websites claiming microwaving food is harmful.

I've looked at a couple of websites like that, and they all fail at having a basic understanding of chemistry, just like the Fat Logic crowd.

albrecht

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on February 03, 2018, 05:00:41 PM
Thanks. I'm exercising again and trying keep up an average of a 400 kCal per day calorie deficit. 

The physiology of weight loss is surprisingly complicated.  It is virtually impossible to spot focus the weight loss on belly fat, for example. For the body will digest its own muscle before it burns the fat. Also, some foods are thought of as being "negative calorie" foods. Your body burns energy to digest them, and their calories are not as readily available. An example would be the difference between drinking a Coke and eating a carrot. The coke digests fast, and most of the sugar that is not burned immediately can turn into fat. With the carrot, it digests slowly and less efficiently. Still, the weight loss obeys the law of conservation of energy. When calories out exceeds calories in, you will lose weight. It's physically impossible not to, unless you're severely constipated or something. I've never seen a fat expert-level marathon runner, so, I'm trying to look at it like that.

Millions of people who fail at losing weight become confused about the physics of it and the laws of conservation of energy and mass. They've convinced themselves that they magically violate the laws of physics.They have even invented something called "Fat Logic" to explain their failure, and they  have tons of pseudoscience websites and books trying to blame the laws of physics or bad genes or whatever for their failure to get fit.  Their reasoning is even worse than those bogus websites claiming microwaving food is harmful.

I've looked at a couple of websites like that, and they all fail at having a basic understanding of chemistry, just like the Fat Logic crowd.
Ultimately it is an input/output deal, I think. And, aside from poisons/contaminants, fat and alcohol are the most efficient but, why in excess, could be a problem.

Quote from: albrecht on February 03, 2018, 06:00:44 PM
Ultimately it is an input/output deal, I think. And, aside from poisons/contaminants, fat and alcohol are the most efficient but, why in excess, could be a problem.
All true.

After 5 weeks of trying to lose weight, I finally notice a difference. I'm halfway there. I've lost about 2 inches on my waist/ gut. Two more inches and it will be normal.

Basically, I've been running a 500 kCal/day deficit (I'm not an expert at counting. the real number could be way off.) which translates to about a pound a week. For food, I've followed advice given here and eaten more protein from sources such as puréed sardines. I've reduced carbs and sugar. I've increased vegetables such as carrots and spinach. I like the spoonful of vinegar trick too. I've discovered that I was having an allergic reaction (swollen face and eyelids, lupus-like rash across face) to the frozen microwave dinners taht I've been eating. No idea what was setting it off, so I quit eating it.  For exercise, yoga and cardio 5-6 days per week;  heavy weights lifting until failure 3 days per week. My endurance and strength have improved during the last 5 weeks, so I'm doubtless losing more fat than muscle. Maybe another month, and I can stop restricting calories. I appreciate the advice people have given.

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on February 03, 2018, 05:00:41 PM

It's good to know you are seeing results.  Because you are really applying yourself, much more than I feel I would.

Polycystic ovary syndrome makes obesity.

I find aversion therapy works a lot better for me than looking at slender models or imagining being slim.  Googling disgustingly obese women or pounds of fat/lard does motivate me.

I thought about what Jackstar said about white sugar.  I had already switched to unrefined sweeteners, but was still occasionally eating manufactured sweets, which include refined, devitalized sugar.  A few weeks ago, I decided to try to stop refined manufactured sugars, although right now I might make a couple exceptions like coffee creamer.  If I want to have something sweet, I will shop in the health food section.  It costs a lot more and there won't be as much variety, let alone gluten free as I need.  But, maybe getting some bakers unsweetened chocolate and adding my own unrefined sweetener can help reduce the cycle of refined sugar in my body during dessert or treat times.  Because there is chromium in real cane sugar to regulate blood sugar/digestion, and molasses and honey have nutrients.

I'm glad I read your posts, Robert, because an ice cream binge had been building.  I wonder why manufacturers don't produce u sweetened products and let us add our own sweeteners.  I tried an unsweetened ice cream product once, but it turned out that it was just whey,not cream, and it was awful.

For me, it's important to face my sweet tooth, as well as allow myself to grow into appreciating healthier tastes.  The less sweets you have, the sweeter fruit and even regular food tastes.

You'd think by now doctors would have made strides on polycystic ovary syndrome.  It was well-known before the nineties.

Same with pancreas issues.  The pancreas' function has beenfor a very long time.

But doctors and big pharma put on a deer-in-the-headlights look and claim PCOS is relatively newly discovered, and that research on the pancreas is not possible.

Well, it's very important not to carry too much weight.  One form of aversion therapy is to visit a retirement home and notice how well the slender people do for themselves, while the obese ones are frequently struggling, and calling ambulances.  I'm getting older and very concerned about this.  But there is so much pressure on women to be thin just because men like it, that the attitude can create defiance in women, too.

Today's fun thing is coffee with creamer, ginger paste from a tube, and a dash of pepper.  Best chai I ever had, with no complex ingredients!!  A simple fun thing.  Sometimes I sweeten my own creamer with healthier sweeteners, but lately it's been hard to find unsweetened liquid creamer (lactose intolerant) and even if I can find almond or soy creamer, they out price me.

Everyone I know has had a very bad flu for weeks, some with laryngitis, and I'm hearing of many hospitalizations for breathing problems in my circles.  I'm starting to feel better.

Health problems can make fitness and weight control a lot harder, so I understand your frustration with the ovarian cysts, especially with how slow medical science is to deal with it. No flu here, but there has been snow and ice as well as flooding of the gym all last week, so no running or bike riding in ice and slop. I've only done yoga and door pull-ups.

There aren't many fat people where I live, so I look at yoga and muscle magazine for inspiration. Also, it's motivating when I go mountain climbing with 70 year olds who have taken care of themselves all their lives.

Jackstar is right about refined sugars. Biochemically, sugars like sucrose are the easiest to digest and absorb ... and they turn to fat easily. Raw sugar is better for you. it has molasses in it as well as trace elements of calcium, potassium, and iron. it costs more metabolically to break down afik - your body absorbs fewer calories by weight -- it's also slower to digest. But the flavor is different, and some people don't like it. It is similar with honey. Both put less load on your pancreas when you eat them.

The puréed sardines are delicious. Puréed salmon is good too.

Quote from: Jojo on February 09, 2018, 02:36:34 PM
It's good to know you are seeing results.  Because you are really applying yourself, much more than I feel I would.

Polycystic ovary syndrome makes obesity.

I find aversion therapy works a lot better for me than looking at slender models or imagining being slim.  Googling disgustingly obese women or pounds of fat/lard does motivate me.

I thought about what Jackstar said about white sugar.  I had already switched to unrefined sweeteners, but was still occasionally eating manufactured sweets, which include refined, devitalized sugar.  A few weeks ago, I decided to try to stop refined manufactured sugars, although right now I might make a couple exceptions like coffee creamer.  If I want to have something sweet, I will shop in the health food section.  It costs a lot more and there won't be as much variety, let alone gluten free as I need.  But, maybe getting some bakers unsweetened chocolate and adding my own unrefined sweetener can help reduce the cycle of refined sugar in my body during dessert or treat times.  Because there is chromium in real cane sugar to regulate blood sugar/digestion, and molasses and honey have nutrients.

I'm glad I read your posts, Robert, because an ice cream binge had been building.  I wonder why manufacturers don't produce u sweetened products and let us add our own sweeteners.  I tried an unsweetened ice cream product once, but it turned out that it was just whey,not cream, and it was awful.

For me, it's important to face my sweet tooth, as well as allow myself to grow into appreciating healthier tastes.  The less sweets you have, the sweeter fruit and even regular food tastes.

You'd think by now doctors would have made strides on polycystic ovary syndrome.  It was well-known before the nineties.

Same with pancreas issues.  The pancreas' function has beenfor a very long time.

But doctors and big pharma put on a deer-in-the-headlights look and claim PCOS is relatively newly discovered, and that research on the pancreas is not possible.

Well, it's very important not to carry too much weight.  One form of aversion therapy is to visit a retirement home and notice how well the slender people do for themselves, while the obese ones are frequently struggling, and calling ambulances.  I'm getting older and very concerned about this.  But there is so much pressure on women to be thin just because men like it, that the attitude can create defiance in women, too.

Today's fun thing is coffee with creamer, ginger paste from a tube, and a dash of pepper.  Best chai I ever had, with no complex ingredients!!  A simple fun thing.  Sometimes I sweeten my own creamer with healthier sweeteners, but lately it's been hard to find unsweetened liquid creamer (lactose intolerant) and even if I can find almond or soy creamer, they out price me.

Everyone I know has had a very bad flu for weeks, some with laryngitis, and I'm hearing of many hospitalizations for breathing problems in my circles.  I'm starting to feel better.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on February 09, 2018, 03:51:23 PM

One step at a time.  I walked,and the horizon changed.  But, coffee creamer is kind of non-negotiable.  I'll do the best I can.

Along the same lines, should I Google if maple syrup is really any better than corn syrup fake syrup?  Because once in a while, it's going to happen.  I'm a realist!

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on February 10, 2018, 02:35:17 PM
Health problems can make fitness and weight control a lot harder, so I understand your frustration with the ovarian cysts, especially with how slow medical science is to deal with it. No flu here, but there has been snow and ice as well as flooding of the gym all last week, so no running or bike riding in ice and slop. I've only done yoga and door pull-ups.

There aren't many fat people where I live, so I look at yoga and muscle magazine for inspiration. Also, it's motivating when I go mountain climbing with 70 year olds who have taken care of themselves all their lives.

Jackstar is right about refined sugars. Biochemically, sugars like sucrose are the easiest to digest and absorb ... and they turn to fat easily. Raw sugar is better for you. it has molasses in it as well as trace elements of calcium, potassium, and iron. it costs more metabolically to break down afik - your body absorbs fewer calories by weight -- it's also slower to digest. But the flavor is different, and some people don't like it. It is similar with honey. Both put less load on your pancreas when you eat them.

The puréed sardines are delicious. Puréed salmon is good too.
Nice to hear someone having a good day!  I use to live in areas that flooded, even during snow, and even on days too hot to keep pets in a car while I worked.  Had to move, mostly for the pets' safety.

Jackstar

Quote from: Jojo on February 10, 2018, 11:38:20 PM
coffee creamer is kind of non-negotiable

Put coconut oil and grass-fed butter with the coffee in a blender. Leave out the jelly beans and gumdrops for once.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on February 12, 2018, 02:32:35 AM
Put coconut oil and grass-fed butter with the coffee in a blender. Leave out the jelly beans and gumdrops for once.
Funny you should mention that.  There is a creamed coconut product that goes well in coffee.  It's creamed whole coconut (not coconut cream not coconut oil).  I think they call it coconut butter.  No other ingredients.  It is great in coffee.  No refrigeration required and truly shelf stable for months, unlike coconut milk.  Grandma would have a fit if I used a blender in my room.  She flips out just because I have a microwave!  Ok, I think I can get soy or almond into my budget.  I tried buttermilk but in general it tries to curdle.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on February 12, 2018, 02:32:35 AM

How do you feed grass to butter?! ::)

Jackstar

Jackstar

Quote from: Jojo on February 12, 2018, 04:04:47 AM
coconut butter

I think that is what they call everything pureed together but the husk. I like the texture and the flavor best, but organic coconut butter isn't always readily available at a sane price here.

I was all about the blending for a few months, but then I realized, fuck it, I can just dump in the butter and oil and stir vigorously with a fork. The end result is far superior from a decent blender, but some mornings I'm not in the mood to clean out last night's herring.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on February 12, 2018, 11:39:57 AM
I think that is what they call everything pureed together but the husk. I like the texture and the flavor best, but organic coconut butter isn't always readily available at a sane price here.

I was all about the blending for a few months, but then I realized, fuck it, I can just dump in the butter and oil and stir vigorously with a fork. The end result is far superior from a decent blender, but some mornings I'm not in the mood to clean out last night's herring.
Been there!

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on February 12, 2018, 11:39:57 AM

I was all about the blending for a few months, but then I realized, fuck it, I can just dump in the butter and oil and stir vigorously with a fork. The end result is far superior from a decent blender, but some mornings I'm not in the mood to clean out.
The only devitalized sugar I get is from factory products and I am weaning off it.  So if I want coffee or decaf at work, I bring my own sweetener.  If I see a baked good in a store, I usually don't buy it due to the white sugar.  I think devitalized sugar should be made illegal.  It is not a good; it is a manufacturer process.