• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ksm32 on January 23, 2018, 09:48:23 PM
I appreciate your sentiments, I do, but they didn't make me kill my bull, this was life on a farm out in the country. That's how it was. Also.. I had the worst hay fever as a kid but because I loved the haying season and doing everything that went with it meaning the work, I wasn't forced in any way and my parents gave the option to not work/participate.

To be very clear, I cried because I liked Adam but also because I was learning about the nature of the way things work. Ya know, food chain stuff.

I'm happy I have that section of my life.   Now I'm a redneck city slicker with an unhealthy and expensive Les Paul obsession.

How many and what years?

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on January 23, 2018, 09:48:23 PM
I appreciate your sentiments, I do, but they didn't make me kill my bull, this was life on a farm out in the country. That's how it was. Also.. I had the worst hay fever as a kid but because I loved the haying season and doing everything that went with it meaning the work, I wasn't forced in any way and my parents gave the option to not work/participate.

To be very clear, I cried because I liked Adam but also because I was learning about the nature of the way things work. Ya know, food chain stuff.

I'm happy I have that section of my life.   Now I'm a redneck city slicker with an unhealthy and expensive Les Paul obsession.
There is a balance but we have gone too far the other way. We glorify and celebrate violent death via games, movies, etc.  But cut ourselves off from real necessary death (to eat etc) and often avoid, or worse, natural death of people. It is sort of weird how cultural has changed over the years in terms of things like graveyards vs cremation, funerals (and viewings) vs 'celebrations of life', and resigning/sending old people to some "home" " to get medicated in front of a tv to die in the company of strangers versus the family taking care of the people who took care of them once. (Having said that I'm not against  nursing homes, hospice, in home care etc and in many cases the abilities of the family/individuals to take proper care, but visit more and make sure whatever options are being done correctly.) It seems too elderly, veterans, homeless with mental problems,  etc just "put out of mind" while we nervously worry over animal shelters that might kill some feral cats, etc.

ksm32

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 23, 2018, 09:52:02 PM
How many and what years?
In rural areas like that the dates are meaningless because the same things are and have been going on for generations. Just like gathering farm fresh eggs. The egg doesn't know it's been hatched in 1745 or 1998.

..I'm starting to think you're not a real DR.

Quote from: albrecht on January 23, 2018, 10:07:23 PM
There is a balance but we have gone too far the other way. We glorify and celebrate violent death via games, movies, etc.  But cut ourselves off from real necessary death (to eat etc) and often avoid, or worse, natural death of people. It is sort of weird how cultural has changed over the years in terms of things like graveyards vs cremation, funerals (and viewings) vs 'celebrations of life', and resigning/sending old people to some "home" " to get medicated in front of a tv to die in the company of strangers versus the family taking care of the people who took care of them once. (Having said that I'm not against  nursing homes, hospice, in home care etc and in many cases the abilities of the family individuals to take proper care, but visit more and make sure whatever options are being done correctly.) It seems too elderly, veterans, homeless with mental problems,  etc just "put out of mind" while we nervously worry over animal shelters that might kill some feral cats, etc.

Agreed on all points.

My mom is in the later stages of her life and winding down at a rate that is beyond her years. She's is an old folks home on Vancouver Island, I wonder about moving her up here and into my airbnb but she is no longer to manage herself on her own. Dementia, and manic..  She's an angel, but a very difficult one. Yet she still manages to diligently catch every Vancouver Canucks game. hmm maybe she's faking it all ???

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ksm32 on January 24, 2018, 01:06:13 AM
In rural areas like that the dates are meaningless because the same things are and have been going on for generations. Just like gathering farm fresh eggs. The egg doesn't know it's been hatched in 1745 or 1998.

Hmmm...all that from a simple question. May your cherished axes perish in a fire...along with you.

ksm32

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 24, 2018, 01:44:19 AM
Hmmm...all that from a simple question. May your cherished axes perish in a fire...along with you.

HA!!!  That's a lil steep isn't it? I believe I answered your initial question rather thoroughly so how you took what I said as any kind of hostility is a mystery to me. Unless you actually want to be thought of as a real, Dr.? Ok fine, you're a real DR.

A Dr. that misses being double ended by swishy & GNB's.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ksm32 on January 24, 2018, 02:05:02 PM
HA!!!  That's a lil steep isn't it? I believe I answered your initial question rather thoroughly so how you took what I said as any kind of hostility is a mystery to me. Unless you actually want to be thought of as a real, Dr.? Ok fine, you're a real DR.

A Dr. that misses being double ended by swishy & GNB's.

No, I asked you a simple question and you pontificated like an asshole in response. It's OK though. I can ignore assholes. Though I still hope you lose all your guitars in some great tragedy. ;)

Quote from: ksm32 on January 24, 2018, 01:06:13 AM

Agreed on all points.

My mom is in the later stages of her life and winding down at a rate that is beyond her years. She's is an old folks home on Vancouver Island, I wonder about moving her up here and into my airbnb but she is no longer to manage herself on her own. Dementia, and manic..  She's an angel, but a very difficult one. Yet she still manages to diligently catch every Vancouver Canucks game. hmm maybe she's faking it all ???
Obviously a question about your guitars. Enquiring minds want(ed) to know

Kudos to your mother for being a trooper and to you for being a good son/daughter/whatever you are. Aging ain't for sissies!

ksm32

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 24, 2018, 02:38:20 PM
No, I asked you a simple question and you pontificated like an asshole in response. It's OK though. I can ignore assholes. Though I still hope you lose all your guitars in some great tragedy. ;)

You do not wish horrible ends to my guitars. As far as me being an asshole? I'm the kind of guy living on your street. That's a good thing. I will post a new song soon, you will give an honest opinion and we will go on our merry ways.

If you would like to keep this tamest of tiffs going, start an argument thread and you and I can bore the piss outta everybody with such fodder and fluff. You have a fine evening now.

last word

GravitySucks

Quote from: ksm32 on January 24, 2018, 07:24:24 PM
You do not wish horrible ends to my guitars. As far as me being an asshole? I'm the kind of guy living on your street. That's a good thing. I will post a new song soon, you will give an honest opinion and we will go on our merry ways.

If you would like to keep this tamest of tiffs going, start an argument thread and you and I can bore the piss outta everybody with such fodder and fluff. You have a fine evening now.

last word

When he said “how many and what years”, he was asking about your Les Pauls, not your animals.

ksm32

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 24, 2018, 07:51:09 PM
When he said “how many and what years”, he was asking about your Les Pauls, not your animals.

Lol. Was he? Would it have killed him to use the quote feature as some form of clarification? We don't know that you're right, I did mention in my initial post that I was glad to of had that section of my life out in the country. I mean really, this is getting silly. fuck sakes    and now you've given him an out

You and your fucking wiseass apple there. ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ksm32 on January 24, 2018, 08:19:47 PM
Lol. Was he? Would it have killed him to use the quote feature as some form of clarification? We don't know that you're right, I did mention in my initial post that I was glad to of had that section of my life out in the country. I mean really, this is getting silly. fuck sakes    and now you've given him an out

You and your fucking wiseass apple there. ;)

It's OK! We're used to Canadians turning out to be losers. Really! :D

Jojo

Quote from: paladin1991 on January 23, 2018, 03:17:58 AM
Now!  Now you might get a second date.  Good girl.
Why thank you.
Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 23, 2018, 11:59:12 AM
This looks like a thread I should participate in.

New Years day, I bent down and a button popped off my pants!! I've gotten fat. Now, I have this gross pot belly that came out of nowhere.

I generally wear 33 inch waist Levis, and the waist is loose -- it was loose until about a month ago. I don't know what happened to me. Age and bad genes are taking their toll. That and I started eating more than usual when it got cold in November. I ate grilled steaks, cake several times during the month -- not much , but it must have been enough to push me over the edge. November and December were cold and dark, so I did not go outside much. The food made me feel warm. If I eat only  what I ate during the summer, I shiver all night.

Beginning on the 1st, I started running a solid 1 - 2 hours 3 days a week. No foot-shuffling. That and I ride my bike 2 or 3 times a week for another hour each time. Plus, I started doing strength training 3 days a week for 20 minutes each time.

At day 23 of my new exercise routine, my gut still sticks out like I'm pregnant, but it seems to have gotten slightly smaller since the first. My muscles are bigger and muscle definition has improved. I'm not measuring, just going by how my clothes fit and how it looks.

Eating roughly 2000-2500 kCal each day. Feel hungry all the time.

Today specifically, I ran 1 hour 30 minutes, in the rain. The fat doesn't take a day off because it's raining, so I won't either. I did 20 min strength training focusing on back and shoulders and finally 20 minutes of yoga and general stretching.
That's cruel taht your parents made you kill your pet bull at that young age. You even named him Adam ffs. I too raised farm animals (4-H projects) starting at the age of 7. Despite all of their shortcomings, my parents gave me the option of selling the farm animals/pets at the county stock yard so I didn't have to deal with that. (in hindsight, they did this only because they did not want to deal with the bloody mess I would have made out of killing and butchering a large animal rather than out of consideration for my emotions.) I didn't kill or butcher any animals until I went deer hunting at the age of 12 when I shot my first deer. I did not cry.

I agree they were cruel!  Bond not with the harvest!

Rob, you are on a mission. I'm still trying to find an exercise bike!  Good job!
Quote from: GravitySucks on January 24, 2018, 07:51:09 PM
Oh!

Well now.  Getting along is better for nutrition!  No stress binging!

ksm32

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 24, 2018, 08:23:14 PM
It's OK! I'd love to suck your cock. Really!  :-*

Why you sweet talkin devil, you. Seriously, start a thread about it you loser.

Jojo

Everybody, corporate values please!  Let's put principles above personalities!  Teamwork!  If you wouldn't say it to your granddaughter then please...

Quoteksm32 I appreciate your sentiments, I do, but they didn't make me kill my bull, this was life on a farm out in the country. That's how it was. Also.. I had the worst hay fever as a kid but because I loved the haying season and doing everything that went with it meaning the work, I wasn't forced in any way and my parents gave the option to not work/participate.

I was picturing the scene from Old Yeller. It sounds like it was overall a good experience.  I was lucky enough not to have hay fever on ordinary days so usually it was a good experience. But when the hay was moldy or I was down wind from my old man's chain smoking of Newport Menthol Lights, that set off my allergies.

Quote from: Jojo on January 24, 2018, 11:57:18 PM
Rob, you are on a mission. I'm still trying to find an exercise bike!  Good job!Oh!
The hardest part is keeping myself from snacking, but I'm sticking with it. My gut hasn't started going down yet, but I notice that at day 25, I'm starting to have more energy and haven't needed to take a daily nap for two weeks now.

Today, I did a 30 minute recovery bike ride along the river front, mostly to look at the flood. That and 3 sets on the benchpress and two sets of 1 arm, weighted pushups while wearing a backpack.

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 25, 2018, 01:23:04 PM
I was picturing the scene from Old Yeller. It sounds like it was overall a good experience.  I was lucky enough not to have hay fever on ordinary days so usually it was a good experience. But when the hay was moldy or I was down wind from my old man's chain smoking of Newport Menthol Lights, that set off my allergies.
The hardest part is keeping myself from snacking, but I'm sticking with it. My gut hasn't started going down yet, but I notice that at day 25, I'm starting to have more energy and haven't needed to take a daily nap for two weeks now.

Today, I did a 30 minute recovery bike ride along the river front, mostly to look at the flood. That and 3 sets on the benchpress and two sets of 1 arm, weighted pushups while wearing a backpack.
A flood!  Wow.  I have seen floods - they are hypnotic!  I hope when you say recovery, you don't mean flood recovery, just health recovery!

Honestly, don't overdo it!  That's great your energy is up and so less naps!   Do you get sore though?

I understand about snacking.  I notice I don't snack as much when I am happy and when I avoid simple carbs.  Sometimes when my allergies bother me, I eat just to feel better!

ksm32

Quote from: Jojo on January 25, 2018, 06:34:43 AM
The mix of MD and KSM having it out is retarded!

It's the internet, jojo, these retarded things happen. And you're right.

In keeping with the general theme of the thread; today I spent three hours on my Cleto Reyes Medium speed bag. Not three continuous hours, ten minutes on, two minutes off and so on. Speed-bag workouts (although standing somewhat stationary) aerobically elevate the heartrate and strengthen deltoids as well as build endurance in the arms, shoulders and back. Oh, not to mention the hand eye coordination.  Better than crossword puzzles!

ksm32

Quote from: Jackstar on January 25, 2018, 04:27:14 AM
I can't fap to this.

Pfft. Yes you can. Back when we were CoastGab you physically threatened (member who's name I cannot remember but I'm sure you do) via PM.

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on January 26, 2018, 03:33:12 AM
Pfft. Yes you can. Back when we were CoastGab you physically threatened (member who's name I cannot remember but I'm sure you do) via PM.
In this forum, some very simple things, like saying I'm coming over, are considered threats.

Where are the women! 

Jackstar

Back when we were CoastGab

https://youtu.be/ZcZONzCWewY

you physically threatened (member who's name I cannot remember but I'm sure you do) via PM.

I have no recollection of this, and I find the story unlikely at best.

Quote from: Jojo on January 25, 2018, 06:40:59 AM
If you wouldn't say it to your granddaughter then please...

This is a poor metric. I would tell any granddaughter of mine everything.

The flood is fascinating. The water is higher today. I went running at 3pm today, and ran along the river front, stopping every now and then to take photos of the flood. Some roads, buildings, and even a playground are underwater. Boats can't go under the bridges. Before I knew it, it was getting dark and the time was 6pm.

A "recovery run" or "recovery ride" is something unique to cardio workouts. You do it the day after a hard workout. Teh recovery ride is just a light  30 min to an hour easy jog or bike ride. For an exercise bike or eliptical or treadmill, it would be the easiest setting for 30 minutes. You do not exert yourself. You shouild not break a sweat or elevate your heart rate by much. You relax and go slow the whole time.

Fitness experts have found that recovery exercises make you heal and recover faster when done the day after a long run or bike ride.

I don't get sore. Yoga right after the workout helps prevent soreness. Despite that, the next day, I'm too tired to do the same workout. That's why I do a recovery run. I can do another intense run the two days later. The biggest danger is getting burned out or getting injured. Since it's winter, it takes a long time to warm up. If I don't warm up, I will pull a muscle or damage a tendon or ligament. It happens every time I skip warm up.

Avoiding snacking is the hardest part of fitness. I hate vegetables, so I eat fruit instead, but the fruit has more calories. I think I'm going to force myself to eat some vegetables the next time I can't resist the urge to snack.

Quote from: Jojo on January 25, 2018, 10:10:13 PM
A flood!  Wow.  I have seen floods - they are hypnotic!  I hope when you say recovery, you don't mean flood recovery, just health recovery!

Honestly, don't overdo it!  That's great your energy is up and so less naps!   Do you get sore though?

I understand about snacking.  I notice I don't snack as much when I am happy and when I avoid simple carbs.  Sometimes when my allergies bother me, I eat just to feel better!

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on January 26, 2018, 06:05:06 AM
https://youtu.be/ZcZONzCWewY

I have no recollection of this, and I find the story unlikely at best.

This is a poor metric. I would tell any granddaughter of mine everything.
Don't do it!  One time I was five and I showed my dad a freckle on my chest.  I was just a child, nowhere near puberty.  Well, his eyes got all weird and he stared at me then off in space.  So I said, "Dad, why are you looking at me that way?". He responded, truthfully and grossly, "Someday that freckle won't be there.". I asked why not, and he said because my whole chest would not be there because it would become breasts.  TMI TMI TMI

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 26, 2018, 12:20:48 PM
The flood is fascinating. The water is higher today. I went running at 3pm today, and ran along the river front, stopping every now and then to take photos of the flood. Some roads, buildings, and even a playground are underwater. Boats can't go under the bridges. Before I knew it, it was getting dark and the time was 6pm.

A "recovery run" or "recovery ride" is something unique to cardio workouts. You do it the day after a hard workout. Teh recovery ride is just a light  30 min to an hour easy jog or bike ride. For an exercise bike or eliptical or treadmill, it would be the easiest setting for 30 minutes. You do not exert yourself. You shouild not break a sweat or elevate your heart rate by much. You relax and go slow the whole time.

Fitness experts have found that recovery exercises make you heal and recover faster when done the day after a long run or bike ride.

I don't get sore. Yoga right after the workout helps prevent soreness. Despite that, the next day, I'm too tired to do the same workout. That's why I do a recovery run. I can do another intense run the two days later. The biggest danger is getting burned out or getting injured. Since it's winter, it takes a long time to warm up. If I don't warm up, I will pull a muscle or damage a tendon or ligament. It happens every time I skip warm up.

Avoiding snacking is the hardest part of fitness. I hate vegetables, so I eat fruit instead, but the fruit has more calories. I think I'm going to force myself to eat some vegetables the next time I can't resist the urge to snack.
It was great to learn about recovery exercise!  I love that idea.  I've been sick as a dog for a week though.  Maybe next week will involve better aerobic exercise.  My workouts are much humbler than all these men.

Is that flood photo yours or just off the web? We don't have structures like that where I'm from.  I hope everyone got to safety and isn't losing too much work.

Jojo

Quote from: Robtheacidghost on January 26, 2018, 12:20:48 PM

It was great to learn about recovery exercise!  I love that idea.  I've been sick as a dog for a week though.  Maybe next week will involve better aerobic exercise.  My workouts are much humbler than all these men.

Is that flood photo yours or just off the web? We don't have building structures like that where I'm from.  I hope everyone got to safety and isn't losing too much work.

You might like broth.  I cut garlic and onion, then let them sit in broth or aminos or ginger/lemon two hours to 12 hours.  Then I pour that marinade into soup broth or aminos broth.  I add chives or parsley, and it turns into a vegetable soup snack.  (Onions, garlic, chives).  Doesn't sound like much but keeps my skin clear!  If I have a few bits of bagged slaw or kale bits, those as well as the sauerkraut we all talked about can also start in the marinade at the beginning.  Obviously, this can easily become a balanced meal just by adding a little oil, meat or tofu, cooked brown rice, or a torn up corn tortilla or corn chips which dissolve.  And, the soup can be made decadent with some olives, sour cream, cheese, noodles, etc...

Cooked vegetables are nice in that way.  And pre-made stir fried celery can be added to the soup to jump start hormonal health.  Other good snacks are plain old flavorful eggplant at 350 for an hour or until it carmelizes almost like a spread.

I really like cooked vegetables.  A little medium or long chain fat and pepper makes the vegetables' nutrients bio-available.  Sometimes I add turmeric.  Or mustard.

A yam only takes 7 minutes sitting in a microwave... although some people don't microwave.  Artichokes too, sitting in a bowl of a little water on high.  I haven't tried roasting mushrooms.  I've always fried then in oil, but roasting would be healthier for me.

Believe it or not, I just run a coffeepot full of water on my 4-cup coffee maker,  then I soak hardier bagged salad in that hot water until it is soft and ready to eat (takes a while), and last I add my garlic/onion marinade and aminos or broth. If you bring a little of the bagged slaw to room temp first, it won't cool the soup as it is added.

This garlic/onion marinade is a versatile way to ensure soft, fresh, warm, tasty vegetable fiber every day no matter what.  It does not technically require any cooking or refrigeration although of course the marinade should be thinned with water. The amount of space needed to do the prepping can be as small and tidy as a disposible cupcake liner.

''''thanks for the food ideas. Sadly, I'm allergic to garlic and onions, but instead, I bought some carrots, spinach, and green beans, all fresh, from the corner vegetable store. The carrots I can eat raw, but I had to cook the beans. They were kind of filling. 
I went on an hour recovery bike ride along the river.  The water is a little higher today.   The photo is my own. I took 100 or so photos of the flood. Afterwards, I did a shoulder and arms workout with free weights.

I had a Romanian girlfriend last year who used to joke me about that. Apparently, Romanians love garlic and onions, and the reason, at least in their folklore, is that it wards off vampires. One time when I was with her, some garlic accidentally got into my food, and I woke up almost dead. I didn't know where I was and was thrashing around trying to claw a hole in the wall to escape. She made sure never to use either of those ingredients cooking after that.
Quote from: Jackstar on January 27, 2018, 11:28:00 AM
what vampirism is this?