• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sports Kneelers

Started by Zenman, September 24, 2017, 02:09:25 AM

Zenman

On one hand, I think non-violent protest can be a noble pursuit. On the other, shouldn't they be doing that on their own time?

Dr. MD MD

I thought that this is how pro athletes refer to their groupies.  :D

Zenman

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 24, 2017, 04:24:51 AM
I thought that this is how pro athletes refer to their groupies.  :D

I have no problem with whatever pro athletes choose to refer to their groupies as or whatever relations they choose to have with them, so long as it's consensual. And so long as it doesn't raise ticket prices.

Quote from: Zenman on September 24, 2017, 02:09:25 AM
On one hand, I think non-violent protest can be a noble pursuit. On the other, shouldn't they be doing that on their own time?

It certainly wouldn't seem to belong on the field, where they are being paid to represent their teams.  Where else do employees purposely drive away customers, with no consequences?

If the owners and the league offices - and they are in a tough spot regarding some of their black fans, but so what - aren't willing to have the courage to step up and say so, then they deserve what they get.  Falling ratings and no shows from ticket buyers.  People who buy tickets then don't use them aren't paying for parking, buying food, drink, and souvenirs, and aren't buying more tickets.

Major league sports long ago crossed the line where it's not fun any more.  I used to watch a lot of games, and go to my share of them.  I don't do either any more, not for a long time, and I can't be the only one.  I think it would be great if any or all these pro leagues folded and the players were left with worthless contracts. 

ItsOver

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 24, 2017, 06:20:23 AM
It certainly wouldn't seem to belong on the field, where they are being paid to represent their teams.  Where else do employees purposely drive away customers, with no consequences?

If the owners and the league offices - and they are in a tough spot regarding some of their black fans, but so what - aren't willing to have the courage to step up and say so, then they deserve what they get.  Falling ratings and no shows from ticket buyers.  People who buy tickets then don't use them aren't paying for parking, buying food, drink, and souvenirs, and aren't buying more tickets.

Major league sports long ago crossed the line where it's not fun any more.  I used to watch a lot of games, and go to my share of them.  I don't do either any more, not for a long time, and I can't be the only one.  I think it would be great if any or all these pro leagues folded and the players were left with worthless contracts.
Amen.  I used to see baseball, basketball, and football, even the professionals, as an all-American past time, to escape from the everyday trials and tribulations.  Now, they ARE another trial and tribulation.

I even remember this.

http://youtu.be/yYXfdnhh2Mo

These people are insulting the flag, the national anthem, the president, and the country in general.  These are people who, for the most part, have gone to our universities.  Certainly most of the NBA players and all the NFL players have.  This is what they are being taught there.

What they apparently aren't being taught is this is the flag that was carried by the North in a civil war fought in part against slavery.  It's the flag of the troops that fought the Nazis and liberated the concentration camps.  It's the flag of the people who brought down the evil Soviet empire, and liberated or tried to liberate millions more.  This is the county that is always the first one providing disaster relief supplies anywhere in the world.  It's the country that welcomes immigrants and refugees from everywhere. 

What's been said - the avalanche of filth that's been dumped on Trump - like him or not, is dispicable and well beyond the pale of normal political discourse.  He was fairly elected, and all this hate stems from the agenda he ran on of controling our border and closely vetting Moslems from radicalized areas.  Hardly ''White Supremacy'' or whatever bullshit term he and his supporters are being accused of this week.

The Acorn / International Solidarity / Black Bloc / Occupy / BLM / Antifa pukes are the angry, easy manipulated losers among us, along with some well meaning fools who are the tools of the Far Left.  A Far Left whose goal is a one-world, Left-wing, Fascist government, run by them.

That this is spreading among the miseducated is a bit alarming, because there are 10s of millions of people in that category.  This stuff used to be subtly spread by Hollywood, academia, bureaucracy, and the pretend media.  Now it's spread to pro sports, out in the open, and tolerated by too many.  No one not in favor of the further deterioration of our country should be supporting the leagues where this is allowed to continue.  A fair ompromise would be for the players who don't wish to participate to stay in the locker room until the game actually begins.  Or simply no longer have the national anthem festivities before the games.

=Schlyder=

they can all go fuck themselves.  I hope people stop watching these overpaid fuckwits, and they all go broke.   They bitch about it's their right to express their feelings about the anthem... yet cry like bitches when the President exercises his right to express his feelings about it.  The Leftist hypocrisy is unending. LOL

GravitySucks

I remember when Tommie Smith and John Carlos pulled their black power salute during the anthem at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. I didn't agree with that pathetic display and I don't agree with it now.

Quote from: ItsOver on September 24, 2017, 07:14:57 AM
Amen.  I used to see baseball, basketball, and football, even the professionals, as an all-American past time, to escape from the everyday trials and tribulations.  Now, they ARE another trial and tribulation...

A few weeks ago, the idiot sports editor (and columnist) for the local paper stated in his cloumn that sports and politics have always gone together, gave some examples, and said we shouldn't expect sports to simply be entertainment and a release, and that he was going to continue writing about it whether readers liked it or not.

I never really read his dull columns anyway, but I'll be sure not to now.  Along with most of the other columnists.  It wasn't that long ago these same people wrote columns that were interesting and with plenty of humor.  Not any more.  What's with these sports writers who think they should be political columnists. 

I remember Keith Olberman was a pretty entertaining broadcaster at ESPN, then really sucked when he switched to politcs.  But at least he did so honestly, instead of staying on at ESPN and doing politics on his sports show.  There were a couple local columnists that formally made the switch here are well, with the same results.  Now they just stay where they are, but focus on this garbage.  I won't be resubscribing, no matter how little they charge for the Sunday paper (in order to plump up their readership numbers in order to charge more for ads)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: =Schlyder= on September 24, 2017, 07:25:16 AM
they can all go fuck themselves.  I hope people stop watching these overpaid fuckwits, and they all go broke.   They bitch about it's their right to express their feelings about the anthem... yet cry like bitches when the President exercises his right to express his feelings about it*.  The Leftist hypocrisy is unending. LOL

He's bitching about them, not the other way around*.

The silly tradition of a national anthem preceedng any sportng fixture aside, its hilarious how Trump gets his knickers in a wad over things he sees as less than unfettered devotion to him. SNL  has had the highest audience figures in 21 years, and Trump tweets its a failing show! A few NFL and NBA players express their displeasure at his tacet equivalence of the KKK, nazis and none nazis and he gets in a twist over it by saying they don't honour the flag.

Wrapping yourself in any flag doesn't make you more patriotic but it sure is a convenient foil for some to suggest it is. Trump is pissed because its HIM they dispise. It isn't as if they're turning their backs or burning it. Oh, and doesn't this come under the first amendment? Funny how the constitution is trotted out when it suits.

And isn't the position of POTUS to represent and bring together the whole country, not just a few who cheer if he makes that stupid frog face? I see no evidence he's even attempted to do that.

At least be honest why these playes kneel at the flag, and it isn't because of America.

TigerLily

Drat that pesky Constitution and its freedom of speech. If only we could shut down non-violent protest and the free press life would be blissful ignorance.  But nothing will keep me from a day of watching football and expressing my right to zone in front of the red zone

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000849571/article/nfl-owners-ceos-respond-to-trump-comments

Gd5150

What took them so long? The loser left has politicized everything. Hate and divide baby!

TigerLily

Quote from: Gd5150 on September 24, 2017, 09:32:48 AM
What took them so long? The loser left has politicized everything. Hate and divide baby!

I'm so glad your dear leader isn't politicizing sports and encouraging hate and division

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Gd5150 on September 24, 2017, 09:32:48 AM

Remind us again who the POTUS is supposed to represent, and then who Trump represents...

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on September 24, 2017, 09:17:04 AM
Drat that pesky Constitution and its freedom of speech. If only we could shut down non-violent protest and the free press life would be blissful ignorance.  But nothing will keep me from a day of watching football and expressing my right to zone in front of the red zone

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000849571/article/nfl-owners-ceos-respond-to-trump-comments

I actually have quite the mixed feelings on this whole issue.

I am probably more patriotic than the average person, even more than the average vet. I get goose bumps whenever I hear the anthem and often tear up.

I do not think anyone should use the flag or the anthem as a means of protest. I think burning the flag should be a crime. I think anyone participating in a sporting event should respect the anthem and the flag.

I also do not see the need for playing the anthem and other patriotic songs during every sporting event. I would rather see them played on special occasions like July 4, Memorial Day and Veterans Day. When you overdue it it feels like a Red Communist mass rally where everyone needs to conform and worship the symbol of the state.

Amateur international sports is different. I like the Olympics model.

There is no first amendment issue here for professional sports. You are working for a company, wearing their logo. If they tell you to stand respectfully then it should be a condition of employment. If the owner says you can kneel or sit then it is a fan decision to watch or not.

I don't look towards sports figures as heroes or role models and have very little respect for any of them. There are a few, like JJ Watt and Tim Tebow that impress me with their actions. But even with them, I don't buy something just because they do a commercial.

I think if you could divine the absolute truth behind the reasons that people say they will protest the NFL, it has more to do with the costs/hassle/entertainment value and a lot less to do with standing or kneeling. 95% of people on social media that say they are protesting probably have not even bought a ticket.

Yorkshire pud

Its just astonishing that Trump is preoccupied with what a few over paid sporting people do or don't do before a game because they dislike him, meanwhile there's dozens of things that need doing that he hasn't even addressed yet. Still in his mind, his applause factor comes before anything else.

Quote from: TigerLily on September 24, 2017, 09:17:04 AM
Drat that pesky Constitution and its freedom of speech. If only we could shut down non-violent protest...

You do realize the Bill of Rights applies to individual liberty vs government interference in people's lives, right?  It doesn't apply in employer/employee situations.  Most people's employers would fire them for driving away business, and rightfully so.  The League and individual owners are free to do so as well, but have only chosen to do so in the case of Colin Kapernick.

The NFL can also compel speech.  Players and coaches are required to make themselves available to the media after games.  Marshawn Lynch famously doesn't want to do it, but he does.  How do you think they can demand the players do so, or face fines, if free speech applies in the private sector?

That the League and owners have allowed this to go on has led to the rest of the players doing so.  Now they all know there is a downside to not agreeing with their teammates, but no downside to joining in. 

Unfortunately for the NFL, the fans also have the freedom to make themselves be heard, by not attending or watching.  The downside falls on the owners who will now see reduced ticket sales, and ultimately, reduced TV revenues.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 24, 2017, 10:39:29 AM
You do realize the Bill of Rights applies to individual liberty vs government interference in people's lives, right?  It doesn't apply in employer/employee situations.  Most people's employers would fire them for driving away business, and rightfully so.  The League and individual owners are free to do so as well, but have only chosen to do so in the case of Colin Kapernick.

The NFL can also compel speech.  Players and coaches are required to make themselves available to the media after games.  Marshawn Lynch famously doesn't want to do it, but he does.  How do you think they can demand the players do so, or face fines, if free speech applies in the private sector?

That the League and owners have allowed this to go on has led to the rest of the players doing so.  Now they all know there is a downside to not agreeing with their teammates, but no downside to joining in. 

Unfortunately for the NFL, the fans also have the freedom to make themselves be heard, by not attending or watching.  The downside falls on the owners who will now see reduced ticket sales, and ultimately, reduced TV revenues.

I doubt very much that will happen..Trump is far less popular than the teams fans support.

This is what is so incideous about the Left.  There will always be inequality.  There will always be issues in society.  And they will always be there to exploit them for their own purposes.  If the people who are really behind this want, the NFL players will never reach the point where they respect the country again, because there will always be something to whine about when police interact with criminals.

I suppose we as a society could just surrender when it comes to criminals and crime, the way the Democrats have done, but it isn't recommended.  NFL games are private events, and the teams provide and pay for security.  Off duty police like the gig, and otherwise the teams would be employing mall cops.  It's time for the police unions to state that is no longer a safe environment for off duty police officers, refuse to provide security at NFL events, and suggest fans not attend as a safety issue.  Police have freedom of speech as well

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 24, 2017, 10:42:55 AM

I doubt very much that will happen..Trump is far less popular than the teams fans support.

And yet the flag and the country are quite popular..

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 24, 2017, 10:24:57 AM
Its just astonishing that Trump is preoccupied with what a few over paid sporting people do or don't do before a game because they dislike him, meanwhile there's dozens of things that need doing that he hasn't even addressed yet. Still in his mind, his applause factor comes before anything else.

And that's nothing like his predecessor?  With all the adulation from the supposed fair and unbiased media, Obama still showed his thin skin when worshipped by all.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 24, 2017, 10:50:25 AM
And yet the flag and the country are quite popular..

The petulant rants Trump is having have everything to do with his unpopularity and nothing to do with the flag or the National anthem. Trump knows that too; He doesn't like it, but its the growing realisation. If he'd fixed all the things he said were fucked, then he could go after people who don't like him, but he hasn't so he shouldn't. He's obsessed with himself and how many people turn up to his frequent rallies (Costing how much each time?) not you, not anyone but him.

Russia has been confirmed by NATO and US only security services they have made inroads in undermining US and European election and infrastructure systems. NOT once has Trump criticised Russia, not once. He's gone out of his way to slag off NATO allies, but not Russia. He's even welcomed them, has a childlike mind that says 'If they like me, I like them' attitude. He's not fit for office.

Quote from: TigerLily on September 24, 2017, 09:37:41 AM
I'm so glad your dear leader isn't politicizing sports and encouraging hate and division

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 24, 2017, 10:06:50 AM
Remind us again who the POTUS is supposed to represent, and then who Trump represents...

It's true, only Obama, only the Democrats are supposed to be divisive. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 24, 2017, 10:54:19 AM
And that's nothing like his predecessor?  With all the adulation from the supposed fair and unbiased media, Obama still showed his thin skin when worshipped by all.

All politicians have an ego, but Trump's skin is painful to watch get thinner by the hour. He simpler cannot cope with criticism. Basically because he's been brought up to believe he's invincible and perfect, he believes it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 24, 2017, 10:58:23 AM

It's true, only Obama, only the Democrats are supposed to be divisive.

Obama isn't the POTUS, Trump is and has done fuck all and still filling the swamp and getting himself richer on the US taxpayer.

Gd5150

Can't spell HATE without the H

#hateandiviDNCivide

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 24, 2017, 11:01:47 AM

Obama isn't the POTUS, Trump is and has done fuck all and still filling the swamp and getting himself richer on the US taxpayer.

Obama was when all of the kneeling started.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 24, 2017, 10:39:29 AM

Is that so? How does that apply to POTUS then? He's employed by the US taxpayer is he not? Therefore he should say nothing about things that have zero to do with his job. He shouldn't say anything about his popularity, his crowd sizes, his childish name calling, his opinion on sports players.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 24, 2017, 11:01:47 AM

Obama isn't the POTUS...

No, but instead of leaving DC to give the next president a chance to find his footiing, he is staying on and is as divisive as always