• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hurricane Irma

Started by starrmtn001, August 30, 2017, 08:04:01 PM

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2017, 06:41:05 PM
If I had his money, I'd buy myself an island too. And probably wouldn't give a shit about anyone judging why.  ;D

But as it is, you are here in America and sharing a state with Senda.  You don't have to have money for that.  Ain't life grand?   ;)

bateman

This apocalyptic tweet comes from a legit National Weather Service account.

https://twitter.com/nwskeywest/status/906266219304685568

Hog

Recon estimates of 163mph surface winds in #Irma's northern eyewall suggest that Irma may be a Cat. 5 hurricane again. Extremely dangerous.

If you aren't on the road by midnight, shelter in place.

Goodluck all, winds in South Florida are starting to rise.

peace
Hog

Hog

You could drive nonstop at 62mph for 10 hours and still not cover the diameter of Irma.

peace
Hog.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on September 08, 2017, 06:48:10 PM
But as it is, you are here in America and sharing a state with Senda.  You don't have to have money for that.  Ain't life grand?   ;)

Are you going to tell me Santa Claus isn't real too?

hater

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2017, 07:27:59 PM
Look at this chart. The info is from the NOAA.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-lies-in-irmas-path/

Upper Right Corner but not in a good way...................

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on September 08, 2017, 06:57:01 PM

Its what they've been saying on TV for the last 48 hours or so. I can't get my head around why anyone is still there.

On a worrying note (what, MORE worrying?) This could make serious dents in the economy of FL for many many months, possibly years. And the population might not return to certain areas..Will FL be left to stay like that? I can't imagine so.

Hog

Irma was a Cat 5 for over 60 hours.  Over 1000km in diameter.  The following hurricane, Jose is around 1100kms across and is a Cat 4 now.

Kennedy Space Center is at HURCON-2.  High value assets have been parked in the VAB including the newly modified Space Launch System Mobile Launch Platform(MLP) which was moved into the VAB using one of the newly modified Crawler Transporter(CT). The CT has had its 12 million pound lifting capacity increased to 18,000,000 pounds to live SLS and all the metalwork that will support the new rocket on the pad. It just fits inside the 456 foot VAB doors.  The VAB is "rated" for 125mph winds.

peace
Hog

Hog

45th Space Wing at Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. 43 mins · Facebook

Bedtime reminders:

Base evacuations are underway. As a reminder, you must be off the base by noon tomorrow. In conjunction with Brevard EOC, you must be off the Barrier Islands by 8 p.m. tomorrow as well. This allows us enough time to get our first responders and hurricane teams off the base safely before conditions deteriorate.

You will still be allowed to transition on and off base tomorrow; however, East Gate will be closed. South Gate inbound lanes will close at 1 p.m. as well. Tomorrow, the RDF will be open for breakfast and the Express will be open until 11 a.m., but expect all other facilities to be closed as we make our final preparations. See the updated list here: http://www.patrick.af.mil/Units/Hurricane-Information/

Our leadership is watching Hurricane Irma closely. We can't thank you enough for your patience and understanding these past few days. Please let us know any more questions you may have and we will work on finding an answer for you.

Expect another update in the morning. Sweet dreams and stay safe team.

peace
Hog

chefist

Someone may have posted this already...I was amazed.

Designx

Quote from: bateman on September 08, 2017, 06:57:01 PM

And then the hurricane misses Florida completely and proceeds to track further west and hit Mobile.

So what happens if the NHC gets trashed?

Designx

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2017, 08:23:08 PM

A more compact strong storm if able to navigate the various islands without hitting them, makes it much more deadly when it finally hits the main land.

Hog

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2017, 08:23:08 PM

Been looking for that one all day.  Heard about it, thanks chefist

peace
Hog

chefist

Quote from: Hog on September 08, 2017, 08:30:33 PM
Been looking for that one all day.  Heard about it, thanks chefist

peace
Hog

albrecht

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on September 08, 2017, 06:45:55 PM
I think climate scientists are going to be nervously looking at expected rain totals since Harvey left a record-setting 51.88" in Texas 2 weeks ago. It looks like Hurricane Easy, in 1950 recorded the most rain in Florida so far, at 45.2". People can construct fortified concrete structures to withstand the high winds, but if rain totals begin to increase, flooding entire cities, people might think twice about rebuilding.

I have a friend who lived in Pensacola during Hugo. His beachfront dream home on stilts was a total loss. He could have rebuilt as he was a contractor, but that was enough for him and he relocated inland.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wettest_tropical_cyclones_in_the_United_States
One would think investors, owners, insurers, reinsurers, etc would balk at some point but, then again, the beauty etc might outweigh the risks? And there will be human thinking fallacy "well after THIS one..." I know they drop you, I forget when exactly, after a few flood events but if you have enough money, of course, you can do what you want, self-insure, rebuild, etc but for normal folks or those seeking reasonable costs I would think finally say "no mas," to quote Roberto Durant.

Someone should, maybe they have, design a modular, portable building that one could use instead of a beach house or fishing shack on stilts but same idea. Wouldn't be as fancy as a condo or a luxurious estate but something but nicer than a mobile home or trailer and incorporating options like those "small living" designers do where desks, Murphy beds, and closets are highly engineered so that when not in use you can open up for the living room etc. Then pack up and move out if storm are approaching. Even something like a "house boat" that you could put down stilts and live but then sail it away in times of storm?

Hog

Quote from: Designx on September 08, 2017, 08:29:14 PM
A more compact strong storm if able to navigate the various islands without hitting them, makes it much more deadly when it finally hits the main land.
Big or small, its all about the velocities upon reaching land as far as wind is concerned. 

Which hurricane is going to push a larger storm surge? 

The water will find what hides from the wind.

peace
Hog

chefist

Interesting that it is tracking similarly to the most powerful hurricane in history...the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane.

Hog

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2017, 08:37:13 PM
One would think investors, owners, insurers, reinsurers, etc would balk at some point but, then again, the beauty etc might outweigh the risks? And there will be human thinking fallacy "well after THIS one..." I know they drop you, I forget when exactly, after a few flood events but if you have enough money, of course, you can do what you want, self-insure, rebuild, etc but for normal folks or those seeking reasonable costs I would think finally say "no mas," to quote Roberto Durant.

Someone should, maybe they have, design a modular, portable building that one could use instead of a beach house or fishing shack on stilts but same idea. Wouldn't be as fancy as a condo or a luxurious estate but something but nicer than a mobile home or trailer and incorporating options like those "small living" designers do where desks, Murphy beds, and closets are highly engineered so that when not in use you can open up for the living room etc. Then pack up and move out if storm are approaching. Even something like a "house boat" that you could put down stilts and live but then sail it away in times of storm?
At least most of Florida is above sea level.  Louisiana is just ridiculous, and its not getting better.

peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: chefist on September 08, 2017, 08:40:51 PM
Interesting that it is tracking similarly to the most powerful hurricane in history...the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane.

I think Allen was the strongest(highest winds) 5mpg faster than the others(the 1935 blow, Gilbert, Wilma and Irma all at 185 sustained), while Irma is the most powerful(fastest winds over longest duration)?  I think people are gtting the "unprecedented" part from its unprecedented 60+ hours as a Cat 5 hurricane.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

peace
Hog

chefist

Quote from: Hog on September 08, 2017, 08:49:16 PM
I think Allen was the strongest(highest winds) 5mpg faster than the others(the 1935 blow, Gilbert, Wilma and Irma all at 185 sustained), while Irma is the most powerful(fastest winds over longest duration)?  I think people are gtting the "unprecedented" part from its unprecedented 60+ hours as a Cat 5 hurricane.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

peace
Hog

I've read where Camille still has Andrew beat on wind speed.

http://geology.com/hurricanes/largest-hurricane/

Not liking Jose at all.....  His track has a Fran vibe to it.   Fran messed my pad up big time - I don't want to go thru that again!

chefist

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2017, 08:59:02 PM
Not liking Jose at all.....  His track has a Fran vibe to it.   Fran messed my pad up big time - I don't want to go thru that again!

Jesus...hopefully not.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Who on September 08, 2017, 03:28:09 PM
I don't know where you got your scientific knowledge but I got mine in real university lecture halls and labs. 98.3% of the world's climate scientists including NASA and NOAA tell us man-made climate change is a fact.  Where do you get your information?  George Noory? Rush Limbaugh? Alex Jones?

I hate to be the one to tell you this but the moon landings were real too. And the universe is 13.7 billion years old, not 6,000.  And evolution is real. And dinosaurs didn't walk the earth with humans.

Show us your data then, hotshot.  :D