• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hurricane Harvey

Started by albrecht, August 24, 2017, 11:59:10 AM

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 06:11:53 PM
Just got back from HEB and there were no carts to use because so many people. No bread and no bottled water available! People are so nuts, this is Austin where, at worst, we will get some heavy rain and some floods. Which is sometimes bad but they happen all the time and you know where they happen and usually it is flash-flood situation (water doesn't stick around for days or weeks to breed disease or something.) Turn Around, Don't Drown. The liquor store was also chaos. They happened to have their big anniversary sale PLUS the hurricane prep! Everyone was well behaved and no looting or rudeness. More actual camaraderie and shaking head at people losing it a bit, acting like we are in Port O'Connor or Corpus. Folks on the coast though I worry about. And for the flooding in the whole region.

Ha. I was going to ask about the beer/liquor.

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on August 25, 2017, 06:30:44 PM
Ha. I was going to ask about the beer/liquor.
Folks I talked to in various areas near Houston reported heavy sales and empty shelves. And, being Texas, we are talking liquor stores that are huge. For example, my Spec's used to be a Home Depot. Now it is booze, beer, and wine.

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 06:52:50 PM
Folks I talked to in various areas near Houston reported heavy sales and empty shelves. And, being Texas, we are talking liquor stores that are huge. For example, my Spec's used to be a Home Depot. Now it is booze, beer, and wine.

Always wonderful when cliches are true.  ;D

GravitySucks

I am in Galveston County and it was kind of eerie.

First of all, it is the first day in several years that there was no active road construction.

I live in a gated community where the people have way too many pickup trucks. (I only have one). Usually the streets are lined with parked cars. There are no cars parked on the street today.

Not much traffic today on the surface streets. The Kroger by me still had water, bread and tortillas early this morning. I had to go pick up a prescription at 4pm and they weren't too crowded but it looked like the bread aisle was empty. The organic food aisle still looked stocked.

Ground is pretty well soaked now so expect widespread minor flooding by morning. Not sure what the storm surge is doing. Not going to drive anywhere to actually check.

I have been in this house since 93 and it didn't flood during Allison or Ike so I am hoping the rain spread over several days keeps it from flooding this time. Good thing about living close to the water. The water drains quickly as long as the storm surge has passed.

Been getting some wind gusts near tropical storm strength. Probably won't have any flowers left on my mighty crepe myrtles in the morning. I have two that are 40' tall. Well above the peak of my roof and taller than my arizona ash.

I have been out more than usual these last two days and found most people were friendly and polite. Still joking in the lines at the store and wishing everyone safety. I am sure there are plenty of hurricane parties tonight.  Haven't watched the news, so I don't know what the evacuation routes look like.

Once again the forecasters blew it. Seemed like only yesterday they were saying that it might reform into a depression and maybe reach tropical storm strength by the time it hit Texas.

I guess if it took its time, I would have headed out to my woods. If the power goes out here and the evacuation routes look ok, I may do that around Tuesday or Wednesday. Or I may stay here to defend the neighborhood from looters if it turns mad max.

GravitySucks

Probably 5-8k cars and trucks sitting in parking lots along the back of Galveston Island.

http://abc13.com/travel/20000-cruise-ship-passengers-stranded-in-gulf/2341493/

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2017, 07:17:02 PM
Probably 5-8k cars and trucks sitting in parking lots along the back of Galveston Island.

http://abc13.com/travel/20000-cruise-ship-passengers-stranded-in-gulf/2341493/
Hope it all goes ok for y'all and the properties. That last hurricane that ended up being a bust (which is good, of course) a buddy took his family up to Dallas, 10hrs or something, crazy hours on the road in bad traffic. Got home and someone had kicked in his door and stole a bike, computer, tv, etc. He took his guns luckily. And they didn't trash it so a quick smash and grab (The Heights area.)

Local AM radio had a caller who said his in-laws and another couple had booked a cruise out of there. Drove to Galveston and got a room (didn't want to drive down same day.) And now "trapped" there and ship is not coming. Cruiseline just a few days ago said all was on. Now the ship they were supposed to go on divert to NOLA. It does seem like the forecasters got this one wrong, it was just a tropical storm and not even that bad at that, a few days ago. Now Cat-4? I don't want to digress into a "global warming" but can't predict a single-storm but can predict an entire planet's climate and weather with is almost infinitely more complex?

What are local Htown forecasts saying? My brother is stuck in Milan and doesn't know when he will be able to get in. All flights cancelled to Houston. He called me this AM worried. His wife and fam went to in-laws a bit further out, I think near Katy, but worried about the house (old roof and old, tall trees.) He wasn't flooded out from those last big rains but near the bayou and a creek (Memorial area.) Any ideas/fcsts of wind speed or rain locally?

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 07:24:33 PM
Local AM had a caller who said his in-laws and another couple had booked a cruise out of there. Drove to Galveston and got a room (didn't want to drive down same day.) And now "trapped" there and ship is not coming. Cruiseline just a few days ago said all was on. It does seem like the forecasters got this one wrong, it was just a tropical storm and not even that bad at that, a few days ago. Now Cat-4? I don't want to digress into a "global warming" but can't predict a single-storm but can predict an entire planet's climate and weather with is almost infinitely more complex?

What are local Htown forecasts saying? My brother is stuck in Milan and doesn't know when he will be able to get in. All flights cancelled. He called me this AM worried. His wife and fam went to in-laws a bit futher out, I think near Katy, but worried about the house (old roof and old, tall trees.) He wasn't flooded out from those last big rains but near the bayou and a creek (Memorial area.) Any ideas/fcsts of wind speed or rain locally?

The click bait headlines all say 35+" and biblical proportions but as you are well aware, biblical proportions are a normal gully washer in Texas.

I haven't turned my tv on but I am sure there are weather idiots in slickers on the seawall proclaiming doom and gloom.

My son is a chemical inspector and when they shut the port down he headed for Austin. He used to tend bar and bounce on 6th street when he wasn't running the kitchen at the Austin Pizza Garden. I wonder if he made it yet. Better check.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2017, 07:29:14 PM
The click bait headlines all say 35+" and biblical proportions but as you are well aware, biblical proportions are a normal gully washer in Texas.

I haven't turned my tv on but I am sure there are weather idiots in slickers on the seawall proclaiming doom and gloom.

My son is a chemical inspector and when they shut the port down he headed for Austin. He used to tend bar and bounce on 6th street when he wasn't running the kitchen at the Austin Pizza Garden. I wonder if he made it yet. Better check.
Yeah, the usual reporters are out there. One wears a batting helmet. There is lots of hype but, having said that, the power of nature is amazing and this storm does seem dangerous. Wind and storm surge aside, IF the predictions of 'just' 20'' of water dumped over such a large are true- imagine the power it takes to do that! Here I expect just some rain, and if heavy, the usual floods. Which here, as you know, are mainly flash floods since nothing to absorb water but occur in the usual places almost every time. Still can be bad but 'turn around, don't drown' and you, pretty much, know if your house is in that area so get out before. I'm sure your son made it but there was likely traffic with folks fleeing and the usual Friday and Austin traffic. The Weather Channel babes were telling people to flee to as far as DALLAS yesterday and that was before it became CAT-2 and now 3!

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 07:43:32 PM
Yeah, the usual reporters are out there. One wears a batting helmet. There is lots of hype but, having said that, the power of nature is amazing and this storm does seem dangerous. Wind and storm surge aside, IF the predictions of 'just' 20'' of water dumped over such a large are true- imagine the power it takes to do that! Here I expect just some rain, and if heavy, the usual floods. Which here, as you know, are mainly flash floods since nothing to absorb water but occur in the usual places almost every time. Still can be bad but 'turn around, don't drown' and you, pretty much, know if your house is in that area so get out before. I'm sure your son made it but there was likely traffic with folks fleeing and the usual Friday and Austin traffic. The Weather Channel babes were telling people to flee to as far as DALLAS yesterday and that was before it became CAT-2 and now 3!

Now a 4!

Son just returned my text. He decided to stay here.  Guess he has grown up.

In 1979, Alvin (home of Nolan Ryan) got 43" in 24 hours from a tropical storm. I was stationed in Omaha at the time but my siblings lived through it. 30" over 4 days should be okay where I am at. Streets flood but it seldom make it past my sidewalk.

GravitySucks

LOL

Surprised the wewther channel hasn't called this "the alleged hurricane".

Camera just panned from the reported standing in ankle deep water to show he was really just standing in a puddle. The rest of the parking lot is fine. Afraid to check CNN.

The fact that it is landing tonight bodes well for us.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2017, 08:21:16 PM
LOL

Surprised the wewther channel hasn't called this "the alleged hurricane".

Camera just panned from the reported standing in ankle deep water to show he was really just standing in a puddle. The rest of the parking lot is fine. Afraid to check CNN.

The fact that it is landing tonight bodes well for us.
Yep and see cars, not military vehicles or not something like the F350 on 40s (with top-drive from the deer blind with bar and dressing station and coolers under where the bed should be that a friend of my brother recently had custom made) but regular sedans just driving on the road- behind the beleaguered reporter fighting the heavy winds and floods who is now talking up tornado threats.
Having said that I hope everyone is careful and uses common-sense and that there isn't bad flooding or tornadoes.

Just seen a storm chaser possibly die on his stream the dumbass got out of his car and got his shit pushed in by a hurricane. RIP Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkDPhTyXYH4

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 08:48:27 PM
Yep and see cars, not military vehicles or not something like the F350 on 40s (with top-drive from the deer blind with bar and dressing station and coolers under where the bed should be that a friend of my brother recently had custom made) but regular sedans just driving on the road- behind the beleaguered reporter fighting the heavy winds and floods who is now talking up tornado threats.
Having said that I hope everyone is careful and uses common-sense and that there isn't bad flooding or tornadoes.

The dude on Fox is in Corpus and getting buffeted quite a bit. Frikking stupid to stand outside and preach to everyone else that they stay safe or evacuate.

The Rockport mayor told residents that did not evacuate to write their name and SSN on there arm. Fuck that. You could lose your arm and fall victim to identity theft.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2017, 08:54:12 PM
The dude on Fox is in Corpus and getting buffeted quite a bit. Frikking stupid to stand outside and preach to everyone else that they stay safe or evacuate.

The Rockport mayor told residents that did not evacuate to write their name and SSN on there arm. Fuck that. You could lose your arm and fall victim to identity theft.
Yeah. Especially since it is now dark and you are staring at a camera. It would take much of any kind of projectile with winds at that speed to do damage- even if you are wearing your batting helmet.
I wonder? Do they do like the gals did in plane barn-storms days and Hollywood reels of such? Have a pole behind them strapped to them to keep them standing?

Landfall 4 miles east of Rockport at San Jose Island exactly at 10pm. Cue conspiracy theorists. Weather Channel says what a coincidence that landfall happens at top of the hour.

chefist

holy crap 100k people watching Jeff...amazing

albrecht

A possible positive? Might Harvey force some of the "refugees" from Katrina to go back home? Or force some of the illegals to go back home? Just trying to find a silver-lining....

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 09:12:50 PM
A possible positive? Might Harvey force some of the "refugees" from Katrina to go back home? Or force some of the illegals to go back home? Just trying to find a silver-lining....

Don't get me started on those trash heap Katrina evacuees. After all of the storm damage is cleaned up, all illegals can go home.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2017, 09:16:07 PM
Don't get me started on those trash heap Katrina evacuees. After all of the storm damage is cleaned up, all illegals can go home.
;D

GravitySucks

Hopefully my rain has passed for the night.

Time to try and get some sleep.

albrecht

Just rain so far here. Hope all is well- GS and all. Frigging folks at Weather Channel seem disappointed no reports of deaths and keeping hyping that there still is possibilities of wide-spread destruction due to storm and floods, in a hoping way. Kept saying also, how 'strange it was' that the River Walk in SA was so empty. It is 8am on a Saturday and it is raining. Surprise! People aren't enjoying a margarita outside, imagine that! Then mentioning so many old, historic buildings in SA- will they handle the rain? Hoping for anything. Reporter near Buffalo Bayou in Htown on and some city flood official who said all was well, so far, and the bayou can handle the rain which so far was not as high as expected and she sounded outright disappointed. Some dude jogging behind her and sun even broke out. Hope it is a bust but they say lots of rain to come.

JEFF IS ALIVE! Awaiting word on the blue shed. Rockport is trashed.

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 09:12:50 PM

Rockport does not have a high illegal population. Just the opposite.

Quote from: albrecht on August 26, 2017, 08:58:31 AM
Just rain so far here. Hope all is well- GS and all. Frigging folks at Weather Channel seem disappointed no reports of deaths and keeping hyping that there still is possibilities of wide-spread destruction due to storm and floods, in a hoping way. Kept saying also, how 'strange it was' that the River Walk in SA was so empty. It is 8am on a Saturday and it is raining. Surprise! People aren't enjoying a margarita outside, imagine that! Then mentioning so many old, historic buildings in SA- will they handle the rain? Hoping for anything. Reporter near Buffalo Bayou in Htown on and some city flood official who said all was well, so far, and the bayou can handle the rain which so far was not as high as expected and she sounded outright disappointed. Some dude jogging behind her and sun even broke out. Hope it is a bust but they say lots of rain to come.

Did you hear Franklin's pit was destroyed in a fire.

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 26, 2017, 09:41:04 AM
Did you hear Franklin's pit was destroyed in a fire.
Yeah, still trying to wrap myself around how a bbq pit itself, but not the restaurant, can be damaged/destroyed by fire.  :o Remember some years back when Bert's BBQ burnt down? Literally 100 or so feet away from a fire station but 911 operator thought "they just must be smoking brisket" and whole thing, along with UT stuff on walls, burnt down. 911 operator error and why the firefighters themselves wouldn't notice?
https://forums.firehouse.com/forum/firefighting/firefighters-forum/72449-bbq-restaurant-burns-down-because-of-911-dispatcher

Quote from: albrecht on August 26, 2017, 10:07:34 AM
Yeah, still trying to wrap myself around how a bbq pit itself, but not the restaurant, can be damaged/destroyed by fire.  :o Remember some years back when Bert's BBQ burnt down? Literally 100 or so feet away from a fire station but 911 operator thought "they just must be smoking brisket" and whole thing, along with UT stuff on walls, burnt down. 911 operator error and why the firefighters themselves wouldn't notice?
https://forums.firehouse.com/forum/firefighting/firefighters-forum/72449-bbq-restaurant-burns-down-because-of-911-dispatcher

Wasn't around for Burts. The smoker is located behind Franklins that is why the building is OK. Have you been to Mickelwaits its actually pretty damn good. My wife didn't like it though. Blacks is good too but its expensive for BBQ.

http://craftmeatsaustin.com/

This is Franklin Fire

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 26, 2017, 11:02:05 AM
Wasn't around for Burts. The smoker is located behind Franklins that is why the building is OK. Have you been to Mickelwaits its actually pretty damn good. My wife didn't like it though. Blacks is good too but its expensive for BBQ.

http://craftmeatsaustin.com/
Bert's was good and pretty cheap, so good for students etc. That place looks good, will have to check it out. Valentina's is pretty darn good. Sorta spicy Tex-Mex meets BBQ, I guess. They recently built a real location on Manchaca. I've always held Black's to be my favorite but haven't had it in the new locations, just Lockhart. Expensive but many places are, and meat in general, is. I love beef ribs and not many do them (County Line does also.) He recently died.
http://kxan.com/2017/06/05/blacks-bbq-pitmaster-dies-at-91/
You remember Sam's? Made good mutton which is not often on the menu at places. Haven't really been to the Eastside since the hipsters and yuppies over ran it. Is is still even around? Lots of places have closed as real estate gets so $$.

Quote from: albrecht on August 26, 2017, 11:18:15 AM
Bert's was good and pretty cheap, so good for students etc. That place looks good, will have to check it out. Valentina's is pretty darn good. Sorta spicy Tex-Mex meets BBQ, I guess. They recently built a real location on Manchaca. I've always held Black's to be my favorite but haven't had it in the new locations, just Lockhart. Expensive but many places are, and meat in general, is. I love beef ribs and not many do them (County Line does also.) He recently died.
http://kxan.com/2017/06/05/blacks-bbq-pitmaster-dies-at-91/
You remember Sam's? Made good mutton which is not often on the menu at places. Haven't really been to the Eastside since the hipsters and yuppies over ran it. Is is still even around? Lots of places have closed as real estate gets so $$.

Dear lord the hipsters!!! God save us. Those skinny jean wearing, neck beards having low life scum are everywhere.

The East side is actually alright full of hipster like the rest of Austin though.  I have heard good things about Valentina, I will have to check it out. Agreed with real estate getting out hand. Have you been by the Arch lately? its a real show.

Yorkshire pud

I have a friend living in Austin. His house is on higher ground but said they are still expecting possible flooding later. His g/f's brother is in Houston and isn't fairing so well. 

Has AJ said if it's a false flag yet? And how the globalists have engineered the hurricane to take out infowars? Still, he can sell survival packs..win win.