Author Topic: Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.  (Read 11581 times)

Re: Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.
« Reply #510 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:57 PM »
So the US Military Industrial Complex makes a profit on both the aircraft and on the anti-aircraft weapon?  Cool!

That would be like if we could draw back the curtains, and find out that the same ownership is behind corn-syrup production and Diabetes treatments.

« Reply #511 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:37 AM »
Europe really seems to let Airbus get away with murder. I wonder what the capabilities are that it can't achieve:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a400m-exclusive/exclusive-europes-a400m-army-plane-may-see-some-features-axed-idUSKBN1FW1TR

Israel acts all indignant over losing a plane when it was the one conducting airstrikes in another country's airspace.
"A spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which oversees U.S. military operations in the Middle East, declined to comment."

"Tal Inbar, head of the Space and UAV Research Center at the Fisher Institute for Air and Space Strategic Studies, said the similarities were clear. Syria, he added, is ďa laboratory for Iran to test out new weapons and new tactics.Ē*

*where have we seen this type of idea before!  ;) And, laughing, that only Iran would be testing out new weapons and tactics there or elsewhere!

ps: I swear originally I saw some article than Iran "drone" took out the Israeli plane but it would seem separate incidents, provocations, etc. And time-line I can't tell? But I wonder, for the future, if one, if lacking attacking capability, using drones to lure planes etc into traps?

« Reply #512 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:02 AM »
That would be like if we could draw back the curtains, and find out that the same ownership is behind corn-syrup production and Diabetes treatments.

It is. Duh. ::)

« Reply #514 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:19 PM »
Leaping elk brings down low-flying Utah research helicopter
A research helicopter has crashed after an elk it was trying to capture jumped into its tail rotor, authorities in the United States state of Utah reported.

The accident happened as crew tried to drop a net on the animal as the aircraft flew about three metres above ground in a mountainous part of eastern Utah, the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office's Jared Rigby said.

The two people on board were not seriously hurt, but the elk died of its injuries Monday afternoon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/utah-helicopter-crashes-after-elk-it-was-pursuing-leaps-at-it/9446066

« Reply #515 on: February 14, 2018, 12:37:56 AM »

« Reply #516 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
Too good not to share

« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »
Charleston helicopter accident could be 1st drone-caused aviation crash in U.S.
Initial reports indicate a low-flying helicopter that had been hired for a flight lesson crashed Wednesday while trying to avoid a drone buzzing nearby.
The flight instructor made a hard turn about 50 feet above the tree line, and as he moved to dodge the drone, the helicopterís tail nicked something ó brush or a small tree. The pilot lost control as the helicopter fell to its side.

"The NTSB is aware of the pilotís report that he was maneuvering to avoid a drone, but the NTSB has not yet been able to independently verify that information," NTSB spokesman Christopher O'Neil said.

Under federal law, drones have to be flown within eyeshot of their pilots and they have to keep clear of manned aircraft to avoid accidents.

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/charleston-helicopter-accident-could-be-st-drone-caused-aviation-crash/article_bee82a7e-133f-11e8-bf2d-cf5b3f26c09b.html

« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2018, 04:51:10 PM »
through the Freedom of Information Act, we present what could be one of the most insightful instances of official documentation surrounding such an encounter that had already been confirmed to have occurred by both the FAA and the USAF. These materials include fascinating audio recordings of radio transmissions and phone calls made as the incident was unfolding, as well as pilot interviews, and conversations between FAA officials made in the aftermath of the highly peculiar incident.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18473/faa-recordings-deepen-mystery-surrounding-ufo-over-oregon-that-sent-f-15s-scrambling

« Reply #519 on: February 19, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
Charleston helicopter accident could be 1st drone-caused aviation crash in U.S.

Reading only the headline, I now feel like it is my duty to ensure the safety of my fellow Americans to use any Jeff Bezox operated delivery drones as shotgun target practice clay pigeons...

PULL!

« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2018, 01:15:08 AM »

« Reply #523 on: Yesterday at 08:23:07 AM »

World's first ducted fan powered a/c?

Lots of very ugly aircraft in the later interwar years, with the French and Italians taking a back seat to no one in that department.

« Reply #524 on: Today at 01:15:55 PM »
Great Documentary of the creation of the Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet