• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why did Art Bell pick Heather Wade?

Started by Dwindling Stacks, October 17, 2016, 09:35:48 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 21, 2016, 08:30:06 AM
I keep pointing this fact out until I'm blue in the hair (at least it goes well with my buttery complexion) - it's very difficult, if not impossible, to prove a negative. No, nobody can say that he lied, just as we can't prove that the universe isn't sitting on the back of a giant smurf called Barry. We don't have to see his trousers aflame to conclude that he was telling fibs.

His name is Godfrey. How many more bloody times?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 08:43:28 AM
Yes, but Art's report doesn't require the same leaps of credulity as your smurf.  Why I shouldn't treat it like I would a similar claim by my slightly crazy neighbor (i. e. cautious acceptance) hasn't been explained to me.

His claims don't have credulity if taken in the whole. Normal people who have their family threatened don't hang around and do nothing other than take a hiatus from work. To then stand in the open at night having a photo taken not knowing if or where a potential assassin could be hiding out of sight is stretching common sense to limits a suicidal person would think twice about.

But it fell apart at the beginning; Heather called the cops on his behalf? Why? He was so (understandably) distressed his first thought was call her before the police, all the time giving the stalker more time to put distance between himself and the home.

malliard

because never listened to other shows... so picked the last person who send him a private message on bellgab... or called him at home?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 08:43:28 AM
Yes, but Art's report doesn't require the same leaps of credulity as your smurf.  Why I shouldn't treat it like I would a similar claim by my slightly crazy neighbor (i. e. cautious acceptance) hasn't been explained to me.

When you have someone who has a history of quitting then you are less inclined to put much faith in what they say on the next occasion they do something like that. The whole thing had a feeling of 'the dog ate my homework' from the beginning. Art's an odd guy and he was looking for an out, but he wanted to use something that would involve less blowback then simply saying his back was playing up or he had just had enough. People do inexplicably things all the time when they feel their backs are against the wall.

JesusJuice

I recall Aldous in the chat saying that there was an actual incident with a known local weirdo but Art blew it way out of fucking proportion.

Juan

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 21, 2016, 08:30:06 AM
I keep pointing this fact out until I'm blue in the hair (at least it goes well with my buttery complexion) - it's very difficult, if not impossible, to prove a negative. No, nobody can say that he lied, just as we can't prove that the universe isn't sitting on the back of a giant smurf called Barry. We don't have to see his trousers aflame to conclude that he was telling fibs.
Idiot. The universe sits on a piece of lint in Barry's ass (arse) crack.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Juan on October 21, 2016, 09:26:21 AM
Idiot. The universe sits on a piece of lint in Barry's ass (arse) crack.

Die, heretic!

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 21, 2016, 09:06:11 AM
When you have someone who has a history of quitting then you are less inclined to put much faith in what they say on the next occasion they do something like that. The whole thing had a feeling of 'the dog ate my homework' from the beginning. Art's an odd guy and he was looking for an out, but he wanted to use something that would involve less blowback then simply saying his back was playing up or he had just had enough. People do inexplicably things all the time when they feel their backs are against the wall.

Hypothesizing a scenario that places his back against the wall seems, to me, to require more conjecture than simply accepting the story.  Allowing that Art is an odd guy could just as easily cover the improbabilities Yorkie points out.

I would take a dimmer view if I suspected Art of defrauding me, I wanted to have my deep cynicism regarding human nature confirmed, or I just didn't like Art.  But that would say more about me than the old guy in the desert.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 09:31:50 AM
Hypothesizing a scenario that places his back against the wall seems, to me, to require more conjecture than simply accepting the story.  Allowing that Art is an odd guy could just as easily cover the improbabilities Yorkie points out.

If there was a danger, however slight, from a stalker, never mind being on the air, he had a duty to his family to make sure that the threat was stopped. His reason for not taking it further with the police was that he didn't want to make things worse. But he claimed to have been shot at, how could things get any worse? If that was true, he's not just odd he's totally irresponsible. Logically, it makes no sense. I think Occam's Razor gets blunted far more with your view of things than mine.

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 09:31:50 AM
I would take a dimmer view if I suspected Art of defrauding me, I wanted to have my deep cynicism regarding human nature confirmed, or I just didn't like Art.  But that would say more about me than the old guy in the desert.

That's rather overblown. You don't need to have your faith in human nature shaken just because one individual has been less than honest, however much you might happen to like him. People lie all the time, for one reason or another. We're all fallilble. Well, the rest of you are anyway.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 21, 2016, 09:50:37 AM
If there was a danger, however slight, from a stalker, never mind being on the air, he had a duty to his family to make sure that the threat was stopped. His reason for not taking it further with the police was that he didn't want to make things worse. But he claimed to have been shot at, how could things get any worse? If that was true, he's not just odd he's totally irresponsible. Logically, it makes no sense. I think Occam's Razor gets blunted far more with your view of things than mine.

That's rather overblown. You don't need to have your faith in human nature shaken just because one individual has been less than honest, however much you might happen to like him. People lie all the time, for one reason or another. We're all fallilble. Well, the rest of you are anyway.

I'm glad you got that in; I'd have had to point that out if you hadn't.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 21, 2016, 09:50:37 AM

If you are content to include "filing a false report about being shot at" under your general "people lie all the time", you are one of those cynics.  I am happy with my diagnosis.

Encouraged by the heroic sweep of your generalizing broom, I shall place Art's insouciance under "Art is an odd guy", with references to mistrust of authority, heroic defiance, and good old Western self-reliance.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 10:19:12 AM
If you are content to include "filing a false report about being shot at" under your general "people lie all the time", you are one of those cynics.  I am happy with my diagnosis.

He didn't claim he had been shot at, he said it might have been a fire cracker. That's a classic 'tell', he wasn't confident enough  to really go for it. He only said that he'd been shot at later, when he was interviewed by MV. If it's cynicism to recognise that some people have a tendency to confabulate, then so be it.

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 10:19:12 AM
Encouraged by the heroic sweep of your generalizing broom, I shall place Art's insouciance under "Art is an odd guy", with references to mistrust of authority, heroic defiance, and good old Western self-reliance.

You can be insouciant on your own account, you're not entitled to be insouciant with the safety of other people. He's not to know whether a 'stalker' is a threat to just himself or also the lives of his wife and daughter. The fact that he didn't seem particularly concerned shows that he's either 1. a total idiot, or 2. the threat wasn't serious to begin with.

Art received a random phone call telling him to quit the show, or else!!! Later he claims he took incoming weapons fire (one shot) but concedes it could have been a kid lighting a firecracker. Then he claims it WAS a gun shot, and the person said something 'threating' before the shot. And something about wires being cut on his property?

I remember Art saying he wasn't happy about Heather calling 911 regarding the "shooting". (You'd think if Art was afraid for his families safety he would have definitely advised her NOT to make such a call...)

If Art was really being blackmailed, and the terms were for him to quit the show, and he was REALLY afraid for his family; Why did he keep insisting (in his thread) that he never claimed he was retired, even though he posted that he was on social media? Where the evil stalker could easily see. 🤔

Maybe Art is secertly Liam Nielson (from the film Taken) and he has a "very special set of skills"?

Meh.

COPD 1 ART 0

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 21, 2016, 10:35:15 AM
He didn't claim he had been shot at, he said it might have been a fire cracker. That's a classic 'tell', he wasn't confident enough  to really go for it. He only said that he'd been shot at later, when he was interviewed by MV. If it's cynicism to recognise that some people have a tendency to confabulate, then so be it.

You can be insouciant on your own account, you're not entitled to be insouciant with the safety of other people. He's not to know whether a 'stalker' is a threat to just himself or also the lives of his wife and daughter. The fact that he didn't seem particularly concerned shows that he's either 1. a total idiot, or 2. the threat wasn't serious to begin with.

You are forgetting the story of the rifle shots from the car, which he placed in the mouth of a helpful neighbor.  I suppose that is another "tell"?  At this rate, I'm convinced you'd debate the weather out my own window, or at least use my report to reveal penetrating insights into my character.

Art certainly didn't take the threat the same way I would have, but I have shoulder-holstered relatives who'd probably prefer to act out a Quick Draw McGraw fantasy than cower or call for help.  You may call them total idiots, but I won't test 'em.

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 11:06:19 AM
You are forgetting the story of the rifle shots from the car, which he placed in the mouth of a helpful neighbor.  I suppose that is another "tell"?  At this rate, I'm convinced you'd debate the weather out my own window, or at least use my report to reveal penetrating insights into my character.

Art certainly didn't take the threat the same way I would have, but I have shoulder-holstered relatives who'd probably prefer to act out a Quick Draw McGraw fantasy than cower or call for help.  You may call them total idiots, but I won't test 'em.

Art has firearms.

K_Dubb

Quote from: rekcuf on October 21, 2016, 11:13:02 AM
Art has firearms.

Yes I am waving that red flag for the pleasure of seeing them stamp and paw and snort like the great, noble, jealous steers they are.

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 11:28:00 AM
Yes I am waving that red flag for the pleasure of seeing them stamp and paw and snort like the great, noble, jealous steers they are.

Art luvs his gun--LUVS HIS LOVE GUN!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on October 21, 2016, 10:35:19 AM
Art received a random phone call telling him to quit the show, or else!!!

Allegedly.

Later he claims he took incoming weapons fire (one shot) but concedes it could have been a kid lighting a firecracker. Then he claims it WAS a gun shot, and the person said something 'threating' before the shot. And something about wires being cut on his property?

The local paper ran a non story about it all, quoting police sources who said they'd been to the property but found no evidence to support the allegations. Not even footprints, snagged clothing, discarded gum, cigs, wrappers. Nothing.

I remember Art saying he wasn't happy about Heather calling 911 regarding the "shooting". (You'd think if Art was afraid for his families safety he would have definitely advised her NOT to make such a call...)

I think he was more worried about the silly stalker idea in the first place, and went for damage limitation. If he didn't dream up the story (and I suspect now he didn't, but went along with it), I suspect it came about after some serious inhaling of certain herbs, possibly rounded off with the injestion of hallucagenics. The story is that preposterous when taken to its eventual conclusion.

If Art was really being blackmailed, and the terms were for him to quit the show, and he was REALLY afraid for his family; Why did he keep insisting (in his thread) that he never claimed he was retired, even though he posted that he was on social media? Where the evil stalker could easily see. 🤔

Because the story wasn't being told from the same book; the thing seemed simple enough, but got out of hand so the lie had to be made more preposterous to seem plausable.

JesusJuice

Didn't he almost shoot a shadow person one time? He's ready to shoot a shadow person but not a flesh and blood stalker?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 11:28:00 AM

As soon as you introduce jealousy into this debate it drops down the pan. You know that.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: JesusJuice on October 21, 2016, 11:32:03 AM
Didn't he almost shoot a shadow person one time? He's ready to shoot a shadow person but not a flesh and blood stalker?

And was visited by a talking mouse. Or was that Jones?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 21, 2016, 11:33:30 AM
As soon as you introduce jealousy into this debate it drops down the pan. You know that.

Am I wrong for enjoying the spectacle?  ¡Olé!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 21, 2016, 11:36:45 AM
Am I wrong for enjoying the spectacle?  ¡Olé!

Not at all. But the j word is verboten!

JesusJuice

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 21, 2016, 11:35:35 AM
And was visited by a talking mouse. Or was that Jones?

Yes. The phantom mouse never spoke though.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: JesusJuice on October 21, 2016, 11:43:46 AM

Yes. The phantom mouse never spoke though.

It didn't? What cheap bloody rodent is it that doesn't speak?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 21, 2016, 11:31:48 AM
Allegedly.

The local paper ran a non story about it all, quoting police sources who said they'd been to the property but found no evidence to support the allegations. Not even footprints, snagged clothing, discarded gum, cigs, wrappers. Nothing.

I think he was more worried about the silly stalker idea in the first place, and went for damage limitation. If he didn't dream up the story (and I suspect now he didn't, but went along with it), I suspect it came about after some serious inhaling of certain herbs, possibly rounded off with the injestion of hallucagenics. The story is that preposterous when taken to its eventual conclusion.

Because the story wasn't being told from the same book; the thing seemed simple enough, but got out of hand so the lie had to be made more preposterous to seem plausable.

All joking aside, I want to give Art the benefit of the doubt...

However, whether he intended to stoke controversy or not, it's clear he doesn't grasp the fact that people would/did question his contradictory statements. What annoys me Mr. Bell,..you thought you could get away with insulting all of our intelligences. Multiple times.

The cover up is always worse than the crime. (I'm not saying you're a criminal, Art).

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 21, 2016, 11:42:39 AM
Not at all. But the j word is verboten!

Hahaha all I know is that every visitor from your passive little island has turned into Rambo at the gun range and at my uncle's house where we can shoot off the back deck.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on October 21, 2016, 11:46:56 AM
All joking aside, I want to give Art the benefit of the doubt...

However, whether he intended to stoke controversy or not, it's clear he doesn't grasp the fact that people would/did question his contradictory statements. What annoys me Mr. Bell,..is that you thought you could get away with insulting all of our intelligences. Multiple times.

The cover up is always worse than the crime. (I'm not saying you're a criminal, Art).

Narcissists always believe they're cleverer, more switched on than others. But in this case he was complicit rather than the originator I believe.