• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

War Birds

Started by Walks_At_Night, September 19, 2016, 06:59:24 PM

pyewacket

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 09, 2017, 07:36:51 PM
Wow.  Never heard of that beast.  Thanks for posting it Pye  (BTW - your handle is one of my favorites)

I thought it might be of interest. The ultimate hovercraft. 

(Mine, too.  ;))

Well I'm inspired now to return to this thread.   I've been slumming too much in Falkie land.

Time to get real again

pyewacket

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 09, 2017, 08:25:15 PM
Well I'm inspired now to return to this thread.   I've been slumming too much in Falkie land.

Time to get real again

Could I ask you why the Falkie thread is so popular? I have only visited there a couple of times and could not stand the heavy negative nature of the place. To each his own, I guess. The Trump thread has gotten pretty bad, too. Do people just join a forum to troll other people?

I'm not directing these questions at you only. Just wondering if other people feel this way, too.

Quote from: pyewacket on February 09, 2017, 08:34:39 PM
Could I ask you why the Falkie thread is so popular? I have only visited there a couple of times and could not stand the heavy negative nature of the place. To each his own, I guess. The Trump thread has gotten pretty bad, too. Do people just join a forum to troll other people?

I'm not directing these questions at you only. Just wondering if other people feel this way, too.

Well at first glance it's just a bunch of mean kids berating a mope on the playground at recess. 

However there is so much intrigue going on in there. Is Chefist really Six Week Tenure?   Are Area 51 Drone and Open Lines Gerry really the same guy?
How can OLG stay in character so well with out losing it and laughing hysterically?   Whats up with the 'Crow?  One week he's a swell guy handing really, really well made White Crow Hoodies that have to cost an arm and a leg.  The next week he's surly and rude.   Why in God's name is there a dude from Poland involved?  Who is the mysterious "Zulu" from South Africa?   Who would spend a thousand hours listening to Senda bitch and moan just to get the occasional clip? It just goes on and on.   

It's like the old TV show Soap.  You either busted a gut out laughing or you thought it was stupid tripe.   I don't think there is a middle ground. 

pyewacket

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 09, 2017, 08:52:53 PM
It's like the old TV show Soap.  You either busted a gut out laughing or you thought it was stupid tripe.   I don't think there is a middle ground.

Thank you for summing it up so well, WAN. So it's like an audience participation semi-reality show. It's beginning to make more sense.

Cheers, sweetie!

Quote from: pyewacket on February 09, 2017, 09:45:21 PM
Thank you for summing it up so well, WAN. So it's like an audience participation semi-reality show. It's beginning to make more sense.

Cheers, sweetie!

You are welcome Pye.

starrmtn001

Quote from: pyewacket on February 09, 2017, 09:45:21 PM

Cheers, sweetie!
+1!   ;) ;D

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 09, 2017, 08:25:15 PM

Time to get real again
So have I.  :o

Time to take off the hazmat suit and get back to the Real BellGab! ;D

Taaroa

Since this is basically the aviation thread of Bellgab...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOnWuTfBuYo

QuoteRadio contact with the aircraft had been lost on hand off from Bratislava to Prague Center, a swap of digits is being suspected (the crew tuned 132.980MHz while the correct frequency was 132.890MHz). Germany dispatched two Eurofighter Aircraft when the Boeing 777 entered Germany's Airspace

Taaroa

Quote from: Jackstar ℗ on February 19, 2017, 06:45:46 AM

Mythical beasts - like drones and lasers - are a menace to all of aviation. They're probably the ones who took down the video I posted. Well you scaly bastards, here's another copy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJALftSN0ek

Quote from: Taaroa on February 19, 2017, 08:44:02 AM
Mythical beasts - like drones and lasers - are a menace to all of aviation. They're probably the ones who took down the video I posted. Well you scaly bastards, here's another copy:

Glad you posted a working one.  "Hullo Mr. Typhoon.  Why might you be off my port wing?"

Taaroa

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 19, 2017, 09:17:12 AM
Glad you posted a working one.  "Hullo Mr. Typhoon.  Why might you be off my port wing?"
I think you can just make out the rocking the wings for non verbal comms. Would've been nice to have the video show the end of the interception, as you'd see an abrupt peel away.

Jackstar

Quote from: Taaroa on February 19, 2017, 10:38:05 AM
you'd see an abrupt peel away.

QuoteSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASFUCKYOUOWLSSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGASSWAMPGAS

Taaroa

Canadian F86s in 1956 at Narsarsuaq Airbase, Greenland.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Taaroa on May 17, 2017, 01:06:42 AM

Canadian F86s in 1956 at Narsarsuaq Airbase, Greenland.

B36 bombers flew from Greenland too. Which would have been fine but there was no hanger big enough to house them. And they effectively needed all the spark plugs changing after each mission. 56 per engine. Six engines. 28 cylinders per engine. Joy.

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on May 17, 2017, 04:45:32 PM
B36 bombers flew from Greenland too. Which would have been fine but there was no hanger big enough to house them. And they effectively needed all the spark plugs changing after each mission. 56 per engine. Six engines. 28 cylinders per engine. Joy.

Wow. Lots of  skinned knuckles on that base.   

Big ole' bird the B-36:

albrecht

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/world/europe/king-willem-alexander-pilot.html
Not warbird but I didn't see a general aviation thread so figured I'd post here. Pretty cool. It turns out for the past 20 years King Willem-Alexander has been piloting KLM Fokker 70s in their service to various European airports.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 17, 2017, 06:58:44 PM
Wow. Lots of  skinned knuckles on that base.   

Big ole' bird the B-36:

This is one of the P&W R4360 the B36 had. The B50 (Outwardly almost identical to the B29) had four. On the B36 they caught fire because they were mounted on the trailing edge and in pusher configuration. Which made them overheat. The only way to deal with that was to bale out.

Wish it was a better video, wish even more I was there to see them myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ma_8rVJins

chefist

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on May 18, 2017, 11:01:38 AM
This is one of the P&W R4360 the B36 had. The B50 (Outwardly almost identical to the B29) had four. On the B36 they caught fire because they were mounted on the trailing edge and in pusher configuration. Which made them overheat. The only way to deal with that was to bale out.

Yea, pushing the edge of piston tech at the end before jet engines were utilized.