• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sports Kneelers

Started by Zenman, September 24, 2017, 02:09:25 AM

Quote from: Jackstar on October 12, 2017, 01:10:24 AM
... Fire.

Correct, flag burning because of unhappiness due to politics is no different from the sitting/kneeling/locking arms/etc because of unhappiness due to politics.  The owners would be well advised to end the equivilent of flag burning by their team on their (the NFL's) time.

If some of the players can't be respectful, they should all be sent to the locker room after pre-game warmups, and kept there until the ceremonies are over.

It would be fun if Jerry Jones said not only will his players stand and be respectful - at Cowboys Stadium the other team's players will as well, or security will have them removed.

Quote from: Jackstar on October 11, 2017, 10:01:09 AM
... That said, I still don't see the kneeling as disrespectful to anyone other than the mouth-breathing dipshits who take professional spectator sports seriously...

There is another possibility you're missing.

I hate pro sports, and would love to see the NBA, NFL, and MLB fold.  Division I College football and basketball too.  Whatever fun and enjoyment there used to be has been long ago squeezed out of the games, at least for me.  It's not just that everyone involved are jerks, the various rule changes and interpretations themselves have also ruined the games.  It's disgusting what's been done to something that used to be enjoyable.

I'm also loving seeing the ''Progressive'' fascists completely melt down since the elections - and this is part of it.

I would love to see this to go on and on, racheting up more and more.  The ratings, jersey sales, ad revenue all in the toilet, the America-haters on full display.  It's great.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Jackstar on October 11, 2017, 10:01:09 AM
I do. Professional spectator sports are complete shit--especially baseball.

Ask around. I've made my position well-known, at times.

That said, I still don't see the kneeling as disrespectful to anyone other than the mouth-breathing dipshits who take professional spectator sports seriously.

Obvious jingoist propaganda is obvious.

I meant the "collective" you instead of you specific. BUT I am glad anyway on this issue we are kind on the same side.

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on October 11, 2017, 08:14:39 AM
Goodell caves. Trump wins. I can go back to watching selected games and NFL Red Zone again.  When will leftists finally realize that they are out of touch with America.  MAGA.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-caves-trump-fury-kneeling-article-1.3554998

Ummm maybe not so fast

The NFL says that President Donald Trump was wrong when he tweeted Wednesday that the league is now demanding that players stand during the National Anthem.

"Commentary this morning about the Commissioner's position on the anthem is not accurate," said the league. "As we said yesterday, there will be a discussion of these issues at the owners meeting next week. The NFL is doing the hard work of trying to move from protest to progress, working to bring people together....Players from around the league will be in New York next week to meet with owners to continue our work together."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/11/news/trump-praise-nfl-anthem/index.html?sr=twCNN101117trump-praise-nfl-anthem1017AMStory

TigerLily

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 12, 2017, 01:30:42 AM
Correct, flag burning because of unhappiness due to politics is no different from the sitting/kneeling/locking arms/etc because of unhappiness due to politics.  The owners would be well advised to end the equivilent of flag burning by their team on their (the NFL's) time.

If some of the players can't be respectful, they should all be sent to the locker room after pre-game warmups, and kept there until the ceremonies are over.

lulz. You must be lots of fun at a party. I haven't noticed the NFL burning flags. I wonder how that would look on instant replay

The collective you should remember that the kneeling started and continues to be about police misconduct and racial injustice. And the protests being done by an organization whose players are - what? - about 75% African-American.  No matter what Trump tweets this isn't about the flag, the anthem, the military. It's about all men being treated equal with justice for all. A very American sentiment

Quote from: TigerLily on October 12, 2017, 01:32:29 PM
lulz. You must be lots of fun at a party. I haven't noticed the NFL burning flags. I wonder how that would look on instant replay...

I didn't say they burnt any flags.  Perhaps look up the word 'equivalent'?  I know, four syllabes, but is is a fairly common word

Quote from: TigerLily on October 12, 2017, 01:32:29 PM
... The collective you should remember that the kneeling started and continues to be about police misconduct and racial injustice. And the protests being done by an organization whose players are - what? - about 75% African-American.  No matter what Trump tweets this isn't about the flag, the anthem, the military. It's about all men being treated equal with justicent for all. A very American sentiment

In nearly every case, the cops have been fully justified in shooting the criminals that have been shot.  Black, white, and everything else.  This whole ''hands up,don't shoot'', the cops are out hunting black kids, etc, is just another lie from the America haters you support.   It's almost always some gang banger fighting back, waving a knife around, pulling a gun, reaching into his baggy pants in what could easily be a reach for a gun.  Why do you think they wear baggy pants in the first place?

But that doesn't really matter with these ''protests''.  What matters is they have chosen to do so DURING the flag ceremonies.  Intentionally disrespecting the flag, the anthem, and the country.  There really is no getting around from that.  Even if it were a coincidence

albrecht

The people who should be kneeling are the taxpayers who often foot the bill for billionaire/millionaire owners for new stadiums who often play games with them: "we will leave if you don't build me this" or tease them by going to others cities for a meeting and getting the home city to fuss up a tax-break, bond issue, or hotel tax to pay them. I don't like corporate welfare, including it especially for highly profitable syndicates. It amazes me that tax-payer PAY rich people/companies for the facilities in which they will go spend money. Buying branded products? It seems, to me, to be backwards. Companies should promote THEIR product by giving it away. What a scam. I want to buy you your commercial!

Kneeling also should be the fans paying high dollar to watch millionaires, or doing ok if not partying too much, beating wives/gfs, dogfighting, or having an entourage, players complain about "how bad they have it in the USA because they are black" and pay for over-priced bad food, parking, and bland beer (which is often a scam in that the same fl oz are contained in the different sizes of beer at some places, vendor adjust beverage size to fool your eyes.)

Worse is this dynamic is filtering down to university and now even HS where stadiums and facilities are amazing, prices get higher, etc etc and players are "taking a knee" or some bs.

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 07:05:24 PM
The people who should be kneeling are the taxpayers who often foot the bill for billionaire/millionaire owners for new stadiums who often play games with them: "we will leave if you don't build me this" or tease them by going to others cities for a meeting and getting the home city to fuss up a tax-break, bond issue, or hotel tax to pay them. I don't like corporate welfare, including it especially for highly profitable syndicates. It amazes me that tax-payer PAY rich people/companies for the facilities in which they will go spend money. Buying branded products? It seems, to me, to be backwards. Companies should promote THEIR product by giving it away. What a scam. I want to buy you your commercial!

Kneeling also should be the fans paying high dollar to watch millionaires, or doing ok if not partying too much, beating wives/gfs, dogfighting, or having an entourage, players complain about "how bad they have it in the USA because they are black" and pay for over-priced bad food, parking, and bland beer (which is often a scam in that the same fl oz are contained in the different sizes of beer at some places, vendor adjust beverage size to fool your eyes.)

Worse is this dynamic is filtering down to university and now even HS where stadiums and facilities are amazing, prices get higher, etc etc and players are "taking a knee" or some bs.

Part of any new tax law should be removal of the NFL league office's tax exempt status, cutting any other tax perks (loopholes) the teams get, and adding the difference between fair market rent on the stadium and the rent the teams actually pay to their taxable incomes.  That should all have been done BEFORE they allowed this garbage. 

albrecht

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 12, 2017, 07:09:57 PM
Part of any new tax law should be removal of the NFL league office's tax exempt status, and charging the team owners tax on the value of the stadium rent they pay that is below fair market value.
I would like to see a soccer-like system which is more competitive, somewhat, and often more capitalist (contrary to most UK or European things) than ours. If a team does poorly relegate them to a lower division. Let that owner take a yuuge financial hit. Sure the field is never level (the high population centers and richer teams will do better) but there is a chance of a minnow beating a shark on occasion which is why things like the FA Cup and promotion/relegation systems similar in other countries is so awesome. And incentive for teams to play, maybe even play harder, when they are losing versus a "rebuilding season" or slacking off, resting players etc) because the fight to stay in the upper divisions is just as important as trying to win the other thing (or got to Europe play etc) to an extent. There also is, on occasion, more community/supporter involvement in ownership of stuff, like Greenbay type of things, sometimes.

It will never happen here because the whole model is different (we rely on schools and academies, to an extent, to provide, raise, and train the talent*) and they aren't going to give up that status and too important to local communities. And because our leagues' owners have a sweetheart deal- even if they lose they make money, don't lose franchise, get a 'cut', get better talent, get cities to build them stuff and give tax-breaks, etc.

*providing the various league another tax-payer subsidy for the major leagues since, in many of the major sports, many of the athletes wouldn't be "students" at a university, or even HS, by their intellect, motivation, marks, or talent. Not all, of course, but in the European, more capitalist model, they would be focusing on sport totally and at a younger age be groomed, raised, and sold on that talent. Not joking around with being a "university student athlete" with a free ride. (They would still get some education by law, of course.)

Jackstar

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 12, 2017, 06:55:37 PM
Perhaps look up the word 'equivalent'?

I'm in awe that I have to explain this to you--the difference between a flag-burning and kneeling is, at the end, one less flag.

1 flag is equivalent to 0 flags in your view? Fuckin' mystifying, Chief.

Quote from: Jackstar on October 12, 2017, 11:33:36 PM
I'm in awe that I have to explain this to you--the difference between a flag-burning and kneeling is, at the end, one less flag.

1 flag is equivalent to 0 flags in your view? Fuckin' mystifying, Chief.

Yeah, the reason people got upset about flag burning was a concern for the number of flags available.

I accept your surrender

TigerLily

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 12, 2017, 06:55:37 PM
I didn't say they burnt any flags.  Perhaps look up the word 'equivalent'?  I know, four syllabes, but is is a fairly common word

In nearly every case, the cops have been fully justified in shooting the criminals that have been shot.  Black, white, and everything else.  This whole ''hands up,don't shoot'', the cops are out hunting black kids, etc, is just another lie from the America haters you support.   It's almost always some gang banger fighting back, waving a knife around, pulling a gun, reaching into his baggy pants in what could easily be a reach for a gun.  Why do you think they wear baggy pants in the first place?

But that doesn't really matter with these ''protests''.  What matters is they have chosen to do so DURING the flag ceremonies.  Intentionally disrespecting the flag, the anthem, and the country.  There really is no getting around from that.  Even if it were a coincidence

You really are just a miserable human being.  And no fun at all. Maybe you should try kneeling on a burning flag. Anyway, Jacky understands me

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on October 13, 2017, 12:05:55 AM
You really are just a miserable human being.  And no fun at all. Maybe you should try kneeling on a burning flag

I'm fun! Let's ruin basketball next! Waddaya say, toots?  ;)

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 13, 2017, 12:09:18 AM
I'm fun! Let's ruin basketball next! Waddaya say, toots?  ;)

Burning or kneeling? I suspect you are already good at dribbling

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on October 13, 2017, 12:10:11 AM
Burning or kneeling? I suspect you are already good at dribbling

You know, by any means necessary.  ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on October 13, 2017, 12:05:01 AM
I accept your surrender

Speaking as an American citizen who sat on his ass for many a Pledge of Allegiance in class--it is not equivalent.

It's just this kind of conflation that makes you and your ilk completely unacceptable in normal society. Go on and tell me that politely taking a knee is as equivalent an act as soaking a flag in lighter fluid and striking a match. Go on, I dare you.

I will concede, that to an idiot, it may well be close enough--for an idiot.

As we are talking about people who give even one shit about pro sports, I suppose we can call this one a push.

Quote from: Jackstar on October 13, 2017, 01:24:41 PM
... Go on and tell me that politely taking a knee is as equivalent an act as soaking a flag in lighter fluid and striking a match. Go on, I dare you...

I thought I already did

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackstar on October 13, 2017, 01:24:41 PM
I will concede, that to an idiot, it may well be close enough--for an idiot.

starrmtn001

Ford Takes Side Of NFL Protesters So Louisiana Cops Take Something Of Theirs In Return!  10.14.17.

https://youtu.be/Ud7uJOdvb3k

Juan

Tebow, really? People can’t understand the difference between kneeling to make a political protest and kneeling in thanks for the ability to perform well.  It’s come to this.

Kidnostad3

Please spare us the bullshit equivalence arguments. Whether it’s taking a kneee or burning a flag, it is showing disrespect for America.  Private citizens who choose not to stand for the National Anthem are exercising a right.  Professional athletes who take advantage of the visibility that their profession imparts to make a political statement are doing so on my time and my dime. Given the limits of their intelligence and education, why would anyone value their opinion on any matter other than how to move a ball downfield or how to prevent the other team from doing so.  How long would any of us last in a job if our unsolicited expression of political opinion was alienating customers and  hurting the bottom line? 

Juan

Well, well, well. Jacksonville Jaguars president Mark Lamping has issued an apology to the military and veterans in town for the pregame in London where the players kneeled for the US national anthem and stood for God Save The Queen.

This past Sunday was the team’s first home game since, and only about 50000-people showed up for the game.  Add in all the people who actually watch the game from the stadium bars rather than their seats, and the stadium looked empty.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Juan on October 17, 2017, 11:06:50 AM
This past Sunday was the team’s first home game since, and only about 50000-people showed up for the game. 

The stadium capacity is 64,428, so 77% of the stadium was full, and it is Jacksonville. Nobody gives a fuck about the Jacksonville Jaguars.

QuoteBefore the 2005 season, mainly due to low attendance figures and looming blackouts, team officials installed a series of tarps to reduce the seating capacity for Jaguars games

Juan

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 17, 2017, 11:37:11 AM
The stadium capacity is 64,428, so 77% of the stadium was full, and it is Jacksonville. Nobody gives a fuck about the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Wrong. The sports media has been incorrectly reporting attendance. There hasn’t been a blackout in Jacksonville for nearly a decade.  People there care, but this kneeling business infuriated fans.

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 17, 2017, 11:37:11 AM

You're right of course.  This reasoning should be spread far and wide.  It would be great if the league folded - all at once, or team by team

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Juan on October 17, 2017, 11:52:53 AM
There hasn’t been a blackout in Jacksonville for nearly a decade.

There hasn't been a blackout in three years for any game.

QuoteUltimately, no games would be blacked out at all during the 2014 season.[10] On March 23, 2015, the NFL's owners voted to suspend the blackout rules for the 2015 NFL season, meaning that all games would be televised in their home markets, regardless of ticket sales.[10] The suspension will continue into the 2016 season; commissioner Roger Goodell stated that the league needed to further investigate the impact of removing the blackout rules before such a change is made permament.[11] While the league never explicitly stated such, the blackout suspension will continue into 2017.[12]

The racist owner in Tampa needs to check his white privilege.  He's obviously for racial inequality, and is trying to undermine the player's message of respect for the country.

How long is it going to take to get those re-education camps set up, anyway?

the_Stranger

If only every sport would be like NASCAR, where they ask you to rise for the anthem then slide in a Judeo-xtian prayer to boot.

Up All Night

It looks like former President Obama MISSED his chance to use "his platform", that he was sharing with the other past living Presidents tonight, when Barack Obama did not "take a knee" during the singing of our National Anthem in College Station, at the Deep In The Heart Concert at Texas A&M, to raise funds for Hurricane Relief from the last three hurricanes to impact the US.

I mean, isn't that what responsible minorities are supposed to do with their "platforms", like the Millionaire NFL players that have done so???

I guess Obama just doesn't care about Police Brutality.

He really missed an opportunity!!!!!