• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150831 - David Darling - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 31, 2015, 09:58:29 PM

WhiteCrow

Quote from: albrecht on September 02, 2015, 08:37:04 PM
I'm the same way, unless they are receiving public funds, tax-breaks, Federal grants, etc a business, person, club, or whatever should be able to refuse service to anyone they wish, for whatever reason they wish. And people who object simply don't patronize the establishment, don't try to join the club/group, or, better yet, start their own business, club, or whatever. In most egregious cases, the business/club/etc that "discriminates" will likely lose out on business and the more "inclusive" might thrive but that is their business, not ours.

Fair housing has been the law of the land for decades. Landlords could keep certain groups of people out and wouldn't effect their business... In fact it would strengthen their business by discriminating ....
Just saying....

bateman

Quote from: chefist on September 02, 2015, 09:11:37 PM
I was hoping the stereotype of Hollywood movers and shakers was that, just a stereotype of egomaniacs and drug induced self destruction...

Guess some stereotypes aren't far from the mark...

Give it a rest, bud....could never imagine Spielberg or Cameron going off like you do....

David O. Russell on the other hand...

https://youtu.be/7SG43wa7Alo

chefist

Quote from: bateman on September 02, 2015, 09:12:46 PM
David O. Russell on the other hand...

https://youtu.be/7SG43wa7Alo

good reference...I've had the pleasure of living in New York and So. Cal...I loved both places! I love all of America and the different cultures it contains...but the celebs in NY were more down to Earth...don't know why...just saying...

jneilschulman

Quote from: chefist on September 02, 2015, 09:11:37 PM
I was hoping the stereotype of Hollywood movers and shakers was that, just a stereotype of egomaniacs and drug induced self destruction...

Guess some stereotypes aren't far from the mark...

Give it a rest, bud....could never imagine Spielberg or Cameron going off like you do....

Going off like what? Be specific. I'm too high and mighty to respond in person to attacks on actors like Jake Busey and Kevin Sorbo who had the apparent bad luck to take roles in a movie I directed? Because the way I see it, refusing to engage is being egotistical.

Bradsmith313

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 02, 2015, 09:07:30 PM
Tell that to the five or six other people on this thread discussing my stupid movie. Why single me out?
Mmmmmm . . . . You're such an easy target?

chefist

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 02, 2015, 09:28:37 PM
Going off like what? Be specific. I'm too high and mighty to respond in person to attacks on actors like Jake Busey and Kevin Sorbo who had the apparent bad luck to take roles in a movie I directed? Because the way I see it, refusing to engage is being egotistical.

I've been in business for over 25 years...cold, hard reality...either they buy my product or they don't...so I learned when customers complain there is a reason...MORE THAN THAT! ....for every complaint there are 2 or 3 times as many who do not complain, but just never buy your product again!

I take every criticism seriously...I give 100% refunds on all my products...even if they use it! WHY! Because the small percent who may take advantage mean nothing! My focus is on quality and listening to complaints! NEVER, and I mean NEVER ridiculing my customers!

You have failed sir in the market...I have failed in the past, but I never insulted my customers...NEVER!

Oh, my name...Ben Lyles....I would give you some business consulting, but it appears you are incapable of receiving negativity and improving...

Perhaps you will move outside your ego and find a way to accept what is!

jneilschulman

Quote from: chefist on September 02, 2015, 09:46:29 PM
I've been in business for over 25 years...cold, hard reality...either they buy my product or they don't...so I learned when customers complain there is a reason...MORE THAN THAT! ....for every complaint there are 2 or 3 times as many who do not complain, but just never buy your product again!

I take every criticism seriously...I give 100% refunds on all my products...even if they use it! WHY! Because the small percent who may take advantage mean nothing! My focus is on quality and listening to complaints! NEVER, and I mean NEVER ridiculing my customers!

You have failed sir in the market...I have failed in the past, but I never insulted my customers...NEVER!

Oh, my name...Ben Lyles....I would give you some business consulting, but it appears you are incapable of receiving negativity and improving...

Perhaps you will move outside your ego and find a way to accept what is!

Ben, thanks for giving me your real name. That separates you from trolls and makes you a person.

There has been zero customer feedback of the Alongside Night movie here on BellGab. That would require customers who have watched the movie and discuss the movie's content.

I joined in this discussion when Google directed me to quotes from users attacking actors in my movie merely for being in my movie. Again, comments from users who haven't watched the movie.

Discussion is about content and quality; trolling is ad hominem attack regardless of content or quality. Surely you make a distinction?

It would be easy for me never to reply to unfair attacks. How is that good customer service?

Neil

Kolchak

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 02, 2015, 10:00:36 PM
I joined in this discussion when Google directed me to quotes from users attacking actors in my movie merely for being in my movie.

No one attacked the film because of you (although they might now after you've imploded here). I cant speak for everyone, but I don't care about you.

The attacks are because your movie looks sub-par for reasons already mentioned here. Thats it.

Nothing personal.

Chronaut

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 02, 2015, 05:01:08 PM
Ah, the beauty of accusing someone who responds as hijacking the thread.
But you didn’t just respond.  You searched the internet looking to argue with people who didn’t say good things about your film and/or actors, created an account here to air your grievances, and then dug in deep and made David Darling’s thread *all about you.*

I merely responded to comments your beloved trolls posted.
Calling everyone who disagrees with you a “troll”…how passé.  And you didn’t just respond to a few comments, you seem to have responded to â€"every single poster- mentioning you or your film…even though you consider them to be “trolls.”  You profess to be some kind of expert in online sociology, but you’ve clearly failed to realize the simple lesson that most 13-year-olds have already figured out:  arguing with people who insult you online Always gets egg on your face.  It’s a no-win scenario.  The only effective way to deal with it is to completely ignore it, because then at least you seem like someone who’s above the muck, not some fool who wallows in it.

Seriously â€" what the hell are you doing screwing around arguing with a handful of random snarky Bellgabbers who care less about you or your film, when you’ve got a film to promote, actors and production staff and investors counting on you to successfully market the shit out of your work?  Man up and get it done for chrissakes â€" the window of relevance is treacherously slim for a new film production, and you’re pissing away your precious moments to insult people who don’t care what you think.

Apparently nothing is so democratic as the right to shoot spitballs from the shadows. How noble and uplifting.
You’re a “cup half empty” kinda guy, huh?  What you’ve completely failed to understand about this point, is that anonymity isn’t about getting away with being a dick; it’s about rising or falling entirely by virtue of what you have to say, and how well you can say it.  You’ve failed here on both counts.  You *could’ve* turned the tables on the folks dissing your work by being smarter, funnier, or more clever than they are â€" and then They would’ve looked like dicks for mouthing off.  But instead you’ve taken yourself so seriously that there’s no room left for anyone else to join the club.  And you’ve been about as charming as a bunion, and your repartees are about as fresh as a forgotten wedge of WWII Limburger.

I’d wondered a couple of times about your film because of the first couple of commercials, and now any desire to check it out is vanquished, because I can’t imagine a guy with your temperament creating anything I’d value.  You did that.  You honestly would’ve been better off saying nothing at all.

You want to bitch at someone about the Alongside Night ads on Dark Matter News? Direct comments to Leo Ashcraft who wrote, narrated, and produced them.

Well I didn’t know that â€" I incorrectly assumed, as most people would, that you as the client would’ve had *some creative input* into the commercials you’ve purchased.  Frankly, why the hell didn’t you?  It’s your film, not his â€" you should be proofing the scripts to your advertisements so they rock, instead of messing around with us “trolls” in some dark little corner of the interwebs.

That was your mistake.  People who blame others earn no respect anywhere in life.  Letting Leo Ashcraft write an ad that made it sound like an unpaid-for movie recommendation…and then airing it every night for days (weeks?) at a time comes off as totally disingenuous and deceitful.  Maybe if you’d taken more of an interest in marketing your message, than jousting with random strangers on chat forums, you could’ve actually inspire a groundswell of interest in your film.

I feel bad for all of the people who worked on your film.  You haven’t a clue about managing your time and energy, or how to generate interest in your project.  You’re more interested in your own ego than in the sacrifices that your people made to create your vision.

coaster

This topic is about David Darling, not j neil schulman. Hey j, no one likes your crappy movie. Stop hijacking topics.

Chronaut

Quote from: coaster on September 03, 2015, 01:49:12 AM
This topic is about David Darling, not j neil schulman. Hey j, no one likes your crappy movie. Stop hijacking topics.
Right â€" back on topic:  the only thing that disappointed me about David Darling’s responses, was his view on the prospect of manned interstellar travel.

Granted, our very best idea at the moment seems wildly speculative and involves energies far beyond our capacity to control in the foreseeable future (warp field propulsion aka metric engineering aka gravitational field propulsion technology).  So yes, based on the established facts as we know them at this very moment, exosolar exploration is still a dream rather than a plausible ambition.

However â€" and this is a big fat “however” â€" we know that we’re missing *the* crucial lynchpin to the whole problem: namely, *how* mass-energy curves spacetime.  General Relativity brilliantly quantifies the magnitude of spacetime curvature endowed by the various components of the stress-energy tensor….but it explains nothing about the coupling dynamics between mass-energy terms and spacetime.

So it seems like we’re in a similar position today with respect to gravity, as we were in the 18th Century with respect to magnetism.  At that time, all we had was load stone â€" and we knew that the more load stone we gathered, the stronger the magnetic field became…much as we view gravitation today…more mass-energy = more gravity.

But soon we learned that an electrical current generates a magnetic field, and then we figured out that placing a bar of iron within an electrical coil could produce Vastly more intense magnetic fields using a very small electromagnet.  And within a single generation, we suddenly had Nikola Tesla and the magnificent power plant he built at Niagara Falls lighting countless homes, and the technological age roared across the world.

It’s perfectly plausible that we’ll see a similar sudden technological revolution once we understand how mass-energy couples to spacetime.  There may be a clever way to amplify the magnitude of the coupling factor that we simply haven’t unraveled yet.  Or not…we may find that it’s invariant constant of nature…it’s a tough call at this point.

But here’s the thing:  if we do find a crafty trick â€" some kind of “ferrogravity” effect, we’ve gotten so technologically sophisticated over the last century that we could exploit a new principle more or less instantly.  It’s not inconceivable that we could leap from a new theoretical discovery tomorrow, to a human being at a nearby star system, within a couple of decades (depending on the issues we may run into with regard to superluminal spaceflight and shielding etc).  But even conservatively, we could be hopping around the solar system like tourists within a century following a theoretical breakthrough that fully unifies quantum mechanics with general relativity.

I’m kinda surprised that he didn’t at least admit that as a possibility â€" he seemed to have given so many other controversial concepts a great deal of deep and earnest consideration.

(All of the above is of course based on the assumption that Lockheed Martin doesn't have a recovered extraterrestrial device tucked away somewhere, and a few dozen gravity-propelled back-engineered black budget craft in some hangar in Texas, which they take joyrides in from time to time to spook the natives)

jneilschulman

Quote from: Chronaut on September 03, 2015, 01:42:29 AM
But you didn’t just respond.  You searched the internet looking to argue with people who didn’t say good things about your film and/or actors, created an account here to air your grievances, and then dug in deep and made David Darling’s thread *all about you.*
Calling everyone who disagrees with you a “troll”…how passé.  And you didn’t just respond to a few comments, you seem to have responded to â€"every single poster- mentioning you or your film…even though you consider them to be “trolls.”  You profess to be some kind of expert in online sociology, but you’ve clearly failed to realize the simple lesson that most 13-year-olds have already figured out:  arguing with people who insult you online Always gets egg on your face.  It’s a no-win scenario.  The only effective way to deal with it is to completely ignore it, because then at least you seem like someone who’s above the muck, not some fool who wallows in it.

Seriously â€" what the hell are you doing screwing around arguing with a handful of random snarky Bellgabbers who care less about you or your film, when you’ve got a film to promote, actors and production staff and investors counting on you to successfully market the shit out of your work?  Man up and get it done for chrissakes â€" the window of relevance is treacherously slim for a new film production, and you’re pissing away your precious moments to insult people who don’t care what you think.
You’re a “cup half empty” kinda guy, huh?  What you’ve completely failed to understand about this point, is that anonymity isn’t about getting away with being a dick; it’s about rising or falling entirely by virtue of what you have to say, and how well you can say it.  You’ve failed here on both counts.  You *could’ve* turned the tables on the folks dissing your work by being smarter, funnier, or more clever than they are â€" and then They would’ve looked like dicks for mouthing off.  But instead you’ve taken yourself so seriously that there’s no room left for anyone else to join the club.  And you’ve been about as charming as a bunion, and your repartees are about as fresh as a forgotten wedge of WWII Limburger.

I’d wondered a couple of times about your film because of the first couple of commercials, and now any desire to check it out is vanquished, because I can’t imagine a guy with your temperament creating anything I’d value.  You did that.  You honestly would’ve been better off saying nothing at all.

Well I didn’t know that â€" I incorrectly assumed, as most people would, that you as the client would’ve had *some creative input* into the commercials you’ve purchased.  Frankly, why the hell didn’t you?  It’s your film, not his â€" you should be proofing the scripts to your advertisements so they rock, instead of messing around with us “trolls” in some dark little corner of the interwebs.

That was your mistake.  People who blame others earn no respect anywhere in life.  Letting Leo Ashcraft write an ad that made it sound like an unpaid-for movie recommendation…and then airing it every night for days (weeks?) at a time comes off as totally disingenuous and deceitful.  Maybe if you’d taken more of an interest in marketing your message, than jousting with random strangers on chat forums, you could’ve actually inspire a groundswell of interest in your film.

I feel bad for all of the people who worked on your film.  You haven’t a clue about managing your time and energy, or how to generate interest in your project.  You’re more interested in your own ego than in the sacrifices that your people made to create your vision.

You're right about one thing.

pate

Quote from: Chronaut on September 03, 2015, 02:52:09 AM
Right â€" back on topic:  the only thing that disappointed me about David Darling’s responses, was his view on the prospect of manned interstellar travel.

Granted, our very best idea at the moment seems wildly speculative and involves energies far beyond our capacity to control in the foreseeable future (warp field propulsion aka metric engineering aka gravitational field propulsion technology).  So yes, based on the established facts as we know them at this very moment, exosolar exploration is still a dream rather than a plausible ambition.

However â€" and this is a big fat “however” â€" we know that we’re missing *the* crucial lynchpin to the whole problem: namely, *how* mass-energy curves spacetime.  General Relativity brilliantly quantifies the magnitude of spacetime curvature endowed by the various components of the stress-energy tensor….but it explains nothing about the coupling dynamics between mass-energy terms and spacetime.

So it seems like we’re in a similar position today with respect to gravity, as we were in the 18th Century with respect to magnetism.  At that time, all we had was load stone â€" and we knew that the more load stone we gathered, the stronger the magnetic field became…much as we view gravitation today…more mass-energy = more gravity.

But soon we learned that an electrical current generates a magnetic field, and then we figured out that placing a bar of iron within an electrical coil could produce Vastly more intense magnetic fields using a very small electromagnet.  And within a single generation, we suddenly had Nikola Tesla and the magnificent power plant he built at Niagara Falls lighting countless homes, and the technological age roared across the world.

It’s perfectly plausible that we’ll see a similar sudden technological revolution once we understand how mass-energy couples to spacetime.  There may be a clever way to amplify the magnitude of the coupling factor that we simply haven’t unraveled yet.  Or not…we may find that it’s invariant constant of nature…it’s a tough call at this point.

But here’s the thing:  if we do find a crafty trick â€" some kind of “ferrogravity” effect, we’ve gotten so technologically sophisticated over the last century that we could exploit a new principle more or less instantly.  It’s not inconceivable that we could leap from a new theoretical discovery tomorrow, to a human being at a nearby star system, within a couple of decades (depending on the issues we may run into with regard to superluminal spaceflight and shielding etc).  But even conservatively, we could be hopping around the solar system like tourists within a century following a theoretical breakthrough that fully unifies quantum mechanics with general relativity.

I’m kinda surprised that he didn’t at least admit that as a possibility â€" he seemed to have given so many other controversial concepts a great deal of deep and earnest consideration.

(All of the above is of course based on the assumption that Lockheed Martin doesn't have a recovered extraterrestrial device tucked away somewhere, and a few dozen gravity-propelled back-engineered black budget craft in some hangar in Texas, which they take joyrides in from time to time to spook the natives)

I only read books that have Fabio as the cover model.

Bradsmith313

Captain Queeg had his strawberries.

Schulman has his sock-puppets and shilling his crappy movies.

Bradsmith313

Funny thing is -- a friend of mine pirated Alongside Night. That's how I saw it.

Auslandia

Do you honestly believe a) that someone would pay someone to trash your movie and b) trashing your movie on Bellgab is in any way affecting its success or failure?  I mean that's what it sounds like you're saying lol.

b_dubb

Quote from: Auslandia on September 03, 2015, 05:39:02 AM
Do you honestly believe a) that someone would pay someone to trash your movie and b) trashing your movie on Bellgab is in any way affecting its success or failure?  I mean that's what it sounds like you're saying lol.
That's exactly what he's saying. And now that jns has shown his ass all over this thread he's done more to discourage people from seeing his movie than any other poster.

The Falkie Award For Self Destructive Behavior goes to jns. Congratulations.

norland2424

Wait you guys didn't get paid to trash his movies? You might want to call your local Field office to get paid like i did  ;D

maureen

Chronaut, it is a joy to read such well-crafted eloquence in your posts! Thank you!

jneilschulman

Yes.

aldousburbank

Quote from: b_dubb on September 03, 2015, 05:59:47 AM
That's exactly what he's saying. And now that jns has shown his ass all over this thread he's done more to discourage people from seeing his movie than any other poster.

The Falkie Award For Self Destructive Behavior goes to jns. Congratulations.

I can't wait to not see this movie!
#sockpuppetreviews

coaster

This guy is delusional. He must think his movies are masterpieces. I just looked up that Lady Magdalene movie. A brothel gets taken over by the feds. but do they worry about the agent screwing the whores, or the terrorist sleeper agent? Holy crapola, batman. That movie makes The Room look like Citizen Kane. I think I'm going to create an IMDB account just to give his movies some shit ratings. I mean, it's what I do, apparently.  Also, it looks like this Schulman guy got banned from posting on IMDB. All of his comments have been deleted. What filmmaker trolls IMDB? Haha, what a dunce.

zeebo

Coaster, confess your secret operative status!  I bet you also didn't like other such masterpieces as Showgirls, Waterworld, or Mall Cop 2.  What is your true agenda, sir?

coaster

Quote from: zeebo on September 03, 2015, 03:02:50 PM
Coaster, confess your secret operative status!  I bet you also didn't like other such masterpieces as Showgirls, Waterworld, or Mall Cop 2.  What is your true agenda, sir?
Operation Busey. This whole "Art Bell fan" thing is just a ruse. My mission was to sit here on this forum,  for over four years, patiently waiting for j neil schulman to appear, and then tell him his movies suck an endless amount of dick. My job here is done.

jneilschulman

Quote from: coaster on September 03, 2015, 02:47:18 PM
This guy is delusional. He must think his movies are masterpieces.

No, they're radical. The quality is what's possible on microbudgets.

Quote from: coaster on September 03, 2015, 02:47:18 PMI just looked up that Lady Magdalene movie. A brothel gets taken over by the feds. but do they worry about the agent screwing the whores, or the terrorist sleeper agent?

All you looked up was the tagline.

Quote from: coaster on September 03, 2015, 02:47:18 PMHoly crapola, batman. That movie makes The Room look like Citizen Kane.

Now I have to look up The Room. If you diss it, it must be good.

Quote from: coaster on September 03, 2015, 02:47:18 PMI think I'm going to create an IMDB account just to give his movies some shit ratings. I mean, it's what I do, apparently.  Also, it looks like this Schulman guy got banned from posting on IMDB. All of his comments have been deleted. What filmmaker trolls IMDB? Haha, what a dunce.

What a dunce, yes? Google my books and movies. Books are easy to find on Amazon. Check out external reviews of my work on IMDb. All have praise from fellow professionals, many best-sellers and celebrities.

I don't know that you get a paycheck for trolling Art Bell and God only knows how many other alternative media websites. But you use the playbook of the professional stooges. How many accounts do you post under here? A dozen? Any less and you're an underachiever.

If I'm wrong and there are actually dozens of real people on BellGab who have concluded I made a mistake to advise my distributor to advertise on Midnight in the Desert, relax. The ads end tomorrow and I move on.

Thanks to Peter Eberhardt and Leo Ashcraft for all your trouble.

One of the few indie filmmakers who ever took the trouble to show up, signing off.

albrecht

Great, so bitching lost another advertiser. Who cares if the movie was good or bad? Advertisers, and Time Travelers, (I don't know the costs to advertise or the numbers/breakdown) keep the show alive people. If you don't like the products advertised simply don't buy, or in this case watch, them.

coaster

Quote from: jneilschulman on September 03, 2015, 03:51:14 PM
No, they're radical. The quality is what's possible on microbudgets.

All you looked up was the tagline.

Now I have to look up The Room. If you diss it, it must be good.

What a dunce, yes? Google my books and movies. Books are easy to find on Amazon. Check out external reviews of my work on IMDb. All have praise from fellow professionals, many best-sellers and celebrities.

I don't know that you get a paycheck for trolling Art Bell and God only knows how many other alternative media websites. But you use the playbook of the professional stooges. How many accounts do you post under here? A dozen? Any less and you're an underachiever.

If I'm wrong and there are actually dozens of real people on BellGab who have concluded I made a mistake to advise my distributor to advertise on Midnight in the Desert, relax. The ads end tomorrow and I move on.

Thanks to Peter Eberhardt and Leo Ashcraft for all your trouble.

One of the few indie filmmakers who ever took the trouble to show up, signing off.
Consider taking your meds. If you have a book that's not about politics, I'd be willing to give it a read.