• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

WiFi question related to xferring files via APP not cord from computer

Started by albrecht, September 22, 2014, 11:31:25 PM

albrecht

So I have an Android phone and the original plug to USB was damaged (or so I thought.) It would charge the phone but no longer would be "seen" when plugged into a computer. It was damaged, visibly, but worked for some time with a simply duct tape solution. But then stopped. I went into store and guy said "nothing wrong with phone-side" female interface. But, being a cheap-o, I didn't want to buy a cord there. Looked on Amazon, but still. So went to a local chain computer place and they had generic and LONG USB to mini-Samsung-USB cords for $4. So got one. Didn't fit but got out my pocket knife in shaved off some rubber and fits snuggly in. And charges on my computer. But still no connectivity to download stuff or treat like an external drive! Wondering if still NOT good connection in the fit or the extra- length of cable on an older USB drive computer could effect data-xfer?

The Question: I though about it and thought, hey I have Wifi, on my phone there must be a way I can xfer files from my computer doing that to my phone and avoid a new cord or, maybe a new phone. Quickly found an app but it operates weird (at least to me.) You start it on your phone. Then enter an ip address into your BROWSER (in my case Firefox) on your computer and then it brings up your phones data and drag-n-drop xfer files from computer to your phones storage over Wifi. Sort of suspicious, to me. Any thoughts? The address is also just "http" -not a seemingly secure thing and also same numbers after each time I start (one would think a secure xfer would bring up diff numbers? I don't know.)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on September 22, 2014, 11:31:25 PM
The Question: I though about it and thought, hey I have Wifi, on my phone there must be a way I can xfer files from my computer doing that to my phone and avoid a new cord or, maybe a new phone. Quickly found an app but it operates weird (at least to me.) You start it on your phone. Then enter an ip address into your BROWSER (in my case Firefox) on your computer and then it brings up your phones data and drag-n-drop xfer files from computer to your phones storage over Wifi. Sort of suspicious, to me. Any thoughts? The address is also just "http" -not a seemingly secure thing and also same numbers after each time I start (one would think a secure xfer would bring up diff numbers? I don't know.)

I use WIFI File Explorer Pro to accomplish this.  It's ok if the ip address is the same each time, and it's ok if there's no encryption.  You're doing everything over your local network in this instance anyway, so no need to worry about anything.  Just make sure you disable the file server on your phone after you're finished.  You don't want to wind up connecting to a random wifi network with your phone while that thing is running.

As far as the cable goes, yes, I've had problems on Samsung devices using non-OEM cables, so make sure you're using genuine Samsung.  This shouldn't matter since USB is a spec and everything USB should in theory adhere to the spec, but somehow Samsung seems to have managed to mosey around this in some instances.  Both charging and data on Samsung devices can be hit and miss over a cable that's not OEM.  What you should do is find out what the part number is for the genuine cable from Samsung and then go find that part number on Ebay, making sure everything looks legit both visually and otherwise.  You'll save a lot of money while still getting a proper cable.

You could also easily replace the USB port on your phone in most cases.  I don't know what device you have, but I think every modern Samsung device places the USB port on a separate board which can be purchased in one piece for under $20 in most cases.  Contrary to what many seem to think, there's no soldering involved. 

There are videos all over youtube which you can use as a guide in making the repair. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=snCH8H3NCMA

In most cases, you're looking about about 30 minutes of work or less.  Just follow the directions closely, take your time, keep track of what screw goes where, and you'll be fine.

As an example of the affordability of fixing this, here is a Galaxy S4 USB port replacement with everything you need.  Even for the newly released Galaxy S5, it's an extremely affordable part.  I've replaced a thousand of these.  It's gone without a hitch each time.

albrecht

Quote from: MV on September 23, 2014, 12:39:12 AM
I use WIFI File Explorer Pro to accomplish this.  It's ok if the ip address is the same each time, and it's ok if there's no encryption.  You're doing everything over your local network in this instance anyway, so no need to worry about anything.  Just make sure you disable the file server on your phone after you're finished.  You don't want to wind up connecting to a random wifi network with your phone while that thing is running.

As far as the cable goes, yes, I've had problems on Samsung devices using non-OEM cables, so make sure you're using genuine Samsung.  This shouldn't matter since USB is a spec and everything USB should in theory adhere to the spec, but somehow Samsung seems to have managed to mosey around this in some instances.  Both charging and data on Samsung devices can be hit and miss over a cable that's not OEM.  What you should do is find out what the part number is for the genuine cable from Samsung and then go find that part number on Ebay, making sure everything looks legit both visually and otherwise.  You'll save a lot of money while still getting a proper cable.

You could also easily replace the USB port on your phone in most cases.  I don't know what device you have, but I think every modern Samsung device places the USB port on a separate board which can be purchased in one piece for under $20 in most cases.  Contrary to what many seem to think, there's no soldering involved. 

There are videos all over youtube which you can use as a guide in making the repair. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=snCH8H3NCMA

In most cases, you're looking about about 30 minutes of work or less.  Just follow the directions closely, take your time, keep track of what screw goes where, and you'll be fine.

As an example of the affordability of fixing this, here is a Galaxy S4 USB port replacement with everything you need.  Even for the newly released Galaxy S5, it's an extremely affordable part.  I've replaced a thousand of these.  It's gone without a hitch each time.
Much obliged, thanks for the detailed answers and the links and info!!