• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

History Channel's "Hunt for the Zodiac Killer" Series

Started by Uncle Duke, December 06, 2017, 09:08:22 AM

Uncle Duke

Anyone else watching this series?  After History's embarrassing Earhart program and disappointing DB Cooper series, I was a little skeptical but so far so good.  The series follows a couple of former law enforcement types as they retrace  the killer's history while at the same time a group of codebreakers work with a "super computer" to break the bizarre coded messages Zodiac included in his taunting letters to police and the media.  The codebreakers seem to be making progress, but the two investigators' efforts have led mostly to dead ends. 

Juan

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to catch up online. I've always wondered why, if they were able to decipher the first message, they can't decipher the rest. Unless he used a different code for each message.

IMHO, the only History Channel investigation that has added anything to history is their series on the Lost Colony. And here they seemed to stumble into finding information by asking in the correct experts.

ItsOver

Quote from: Juan on December 06, 2017, 09:44:32 AM
...IMHO, the only History Channel investigation that has added anything to history is their series on the Lost Colony. And here they seemed to stumble into finding information by asking in the correct experts.
I agree.  The shows like "The Curse of Oak Island," "Hunting Hitler," etc. are all obviously heavily scripted and tilted much more towards fluff entertainment than anything related to uncovering actual history.  I really hate what that channel has become and it says as much about today's typical MSM viewer as it does about the pandering people running the place. Today's History channel is certainly not close to such class act shows as Burke's "Connections" and Bronowski's "The Ascent of Man," courtesy of PBS.  They should rename it to the "It Must Be Aliens And Other Junk Channel!"

ItsOver

Quote from: Lord Grantham on December 06, 2017, 11:52:56 AM
We already know who the Zodiac is.

goo.gl/rFnc93
LOL.  Yeah, but who's Hitler?  I'm sure the aliens are keeping him going, just so he can post on Bellgab.

Juan

I’ve now watched the first episode. Not bad for the History Channel. One thing I caught that the show didn’t mention - he caught his first victims by disabling their cars. From the photos shown, both were Volkswagens. One standard, the other a Karmen Ghia.

ksm32

Be great if the Zodiac was a Libra. That's just not like us.. although if we do kill you we will be sure to mutter something like "sorry dude" while we do it. We're pretty nice that way.

Rix Gins

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 12, 2017, 02:13:35 AM

D.B. Cooper was the Zodiac Killer.  Case closed.

Kinda looks a little like uncle Duke too. Pretty creepy. :o

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 12, 2017, 02:20:05 AM
Kinda looks a little like uncle Duke too. Pretty creepy. :o

Even creepier, both Cooper and the Zodiac were reportedly 5'10"-5'11", close to the height shown on the Duke mug shot.

What was the name of the serial killer that C2C guest claimed committed seemingly every murder in the US over a couple decades?  Wonder if the History Channel guys will mention him?

Juan

I’ve watched all of them now and think they’re the usual HC crap. A lot of the stuff the investigative team claims to have discovered has been on the internet for years. The Albany letter examined by the handwriting expert was actually a copy enhanced by a webmaster to make the text more eadily read, but the so called expert pointed out enhancement artifacts as important factors in attributing the letter to Zodiac.
As for the 340 code, the revelation that part of it is dummy text has been accepted for decades.
See: http://zodiacciphers.com for years of information

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Juan on December 14, 2017, 07:06:44 AM
I’ve watched all of them now and think they’re the usual HC crap. A lot of the stuff the investigative team claims to have discovered has been on the internet for years. The Albany letter examined by the handwriting expert was actually a copy enhanced by a webmaster to make the text more eadily read, but the so called expert pointed out enhancement artifacts as important factors in attributing the letter to Zodiac.
As for the 340 code, the revelation that part of it is dummy text has been accepted for decades.
See: http://zodiacciphers.com for years of information

Yeah, this series is reminiscent of the DB Cooper series to the extent much of what was presented is known, at least to those who are devotees of the investigations.  The Albany excursion was totally unnecessary; phone calls to police, coroners, and media in the area could have confirmed in less than a day no murders/suspicious deaths in the time frame alluded to in the letter.  A two minute check of the Social Security Death Index would have eliminated the "decoded" name as the Albany victim, as well.  Also not sure why they are so fired up about the reclaimed DNA evidence from the two crime scenes.  Seems to me at best they can match the two samples, maybe proving the two crimes were committed by the same assailant, but still unable to identify the individual.

I think the codebreakers, at least the NSA guy, have been more productive than the two LE types.  Interestingly the breakthrough on the 340 code in the first half of the message was arrived at without the "super computer" that is such a prominent part of the series hype.  Assuming there is to be a second season of the program, one would think their primary effort would be to see if there is any discernable information in the rest of the message.  The CIA greybeard they pitched their solution to seemed to think that possibility existed even if there was dummy text in the message.

Four Thousand Chan

Has anyone seen the doc and the zodiac killer in the same place at the same time.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Four Thousand Chan on December 16, 2017, 09:30:39 PM
Has anyone seen the doc and the zodiac killer in the same place at the same time.

Now that I know that you're on to me you're probably not long for this world. See you soon! :-*