• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

art on the 20th

Started by Max, February 14, 2009, 06:50:46 PM

Max

according to another forum, art is hosting on the 20th...

Centurion73

Quote from: Max on February 14, 2009, 06:50:46 PM
according to another forum, art is hosting on the 20th...

I like Art & usually love his shows  esp now that all there is is Noory & Punnett, but damn I wish he would not come back anymore. I mean it's like being a junkie, Art gives you a hit of what an interview, show, or topic could be like & was, then we crash down hard again the next night when we have to hear Noory or Punnett.

EvB

QuoteArt gives you a hit of what an interview, show, or topic could be like & was, then we crash down hard again

Even worse, for me, is when he gets a rash of Snoory-Dumbed callers - Or, flip side, is having so much fun you wished he'd just SHUDDUABOUDIT - cuz you  know it will be ages till the next time.

sherry440

Hallelujah!! the 20th of February? (I am new to this and lost trying to find new posts.....) maybe you're talking about he 20th of December last year or something.
Has anyone found a wi-fi station that plays nothing but old Art Bell programs???

EvB

Nope - that's a new post.  Think it means Feb 20, 2009

It will be great to hear Art. Art BTW is convinced that we are headed into a depression, so it should be a very interesting show. Nothing is the same anymore, sports, our goverment, family life, work life, taxes and Coast to Coast. It will be great to hear the greatest again tomorrow night.

seven7

I think Art may have let fly with an f-bomb in the first hour. 
I don't remember the exact quote,but I since they replay the first hour
Friday and Saturday nights here, I heard it twice. 
It was to the effect of " To bail these f.... out" or something about a homeowner bailout.
It wasn't beeped, it was just a short silence, like someone hit the mute button for a second.
Was I hearing things, or did anyone else hear it too?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: seven7 on February 24, 2009, 11:15:51 PM
I think Art may have let fly with an f-bomb in the first hour. 
I don't remember the exact quote,but I since they replay the first hour
Friday and Saturday nights here, I heard it twice. 
It was to the effect of " To bail these f.... out" or something about a homeowner bailout.
It wasn't beeped, it was just a short silence, like someone hit the mute button for a second.
Was I hearing things, or did anyone else hear it too?
anybody got audio?

yousendit.com

seven7

It took me a while to figure out how to do this, but here it is.

http://rapidshare.com/files/203810215/Art_F-bomb.mp3

HAL 9000

Quote from: seven7 on February 28, 2009, 06:25:47 PMIt took me a while to figure out how to do this, but here it is.

Some constructive criticism - so please take it that way...

Firstly I noticed you used LAME 3.98 to retranscode the clip... which is the latest version. Unfortunately, newer isn't always better.

My tests have shown that, for low-bitrate audio, which is exactly what should be used for human speech, LAME 3.98 actually INCREASES file size vs older versions of lame by 40%, when using the exact same settings.. When I retranscode an entire c2c show, the resultant files size is ~ 22MB-25MB (for roughly 2.5 hours of show).

Your clip is 1.5MB - but here is an equivalent sample I made using your example as the sourse (vs the original) and it is only 18% of the size (276KB vs 1.5 MB) with virtually equivalent quality. I still use LAME 3.97.

I sent a "bug" report if you want to call it that, and left it on the LAME forum - I noticed there is a version 3.98.1 available - but I have not tested to see if it addresses the low-bitrate "bug."

Anyways, my advice would be to use a lower bitrate and definitely use VBR for human speech coding. Just a thought and hopefully helpful tip.

I do a lot of audio editing, so know what the deal is... here is my sample of your sample for comparison:

http://rapidshare.com/files/203815812/Art.Bell.F.bomb.mp3

V

seven7

Thanks for the input.  I've never used any audio editing software before and just used the first free program I found using then default settings. 
It's not something I plan to do very often.

EvB

Quote from: seven7 on February 28, 2009, 06:25:47 PM
It took me a while to figure out how to do this, but here it is.

http://rapidshare.com/files/203810215/Art_F-bomb.mp3

Oh now that is interesting.  I know now why I didn't hear it.  My head filled in the word "folks" or "fools"  'Bail these folks out' (Art does say "folks" a lot) or 'Bail these fools out.'  Never occurred to me that it could have been 'Bail these fuckers out.'  As for the brief blip of silence - I must have chalked it up to either my connection, or some technical issue on their end.

tprainbow

I heard it live, and laughed my ass off. I've not known art to use the "magic button" on himself though. I must say i love it when art gets worked up.

nowitall

The stupid player must be associated with Yayhoo because it doesn't work on a Mac.

tprainbow

what does not work on mac?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on February 28, 2009, 07:20:04 PM
My head filled in the word "folks" or "fools"  'Bail these folks out' (Art does say "folks" a lot) or 'Bail these fools out.'
agreed completely.  "folks" it is, i believe.  art is a seasoned professional.  he's not going to say "fuckers" in the midst of a paced and prepared monologue.  he's just not.

the glitch was definitely just that... a glitch.  probably an issue with an ISDN line or satellite uplink, which ever one art was using.  what was the air date of this show?  was art in the philippines?  i know he's back over there now, but i haven't heard a live coast show in aeons, so i'm completely out of touch with what's happening.

scooter

Whoa, Way to go,Art. He definitely let an F-bomb fly. I mean who does he have to answer to, I mean what are they gonna do fire him. I mean we all had that job we knew we were gonna quit, and we start getting cocky and daring. I think we can expect more of this, at least I hope so, Art's new I dont give a shit attitude.