• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art teaches Airyn

Started by EvB, February 06, 2009, 11:45:16 PM

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on February 11, 2009, 07:26:24 PM
Ah! Well this is my favorite one I have that's rather inexpensive. Read the comments, and you'll see why it's so good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-177-Semi-Auto-Pistol/dp/B000BWE60C

It does look cool.  The fact is, though, that I'm not sure WHERE I'd use it - the more I think about it.  How much noise does it make?

I gota say that two things on that page were very weird, in opposite ways.  One was that on the list of "people who bought this item also bought . . " was a pair out outer-space looking egg poachers (and the association is  ??? ) And then there was the twisted poster who described how it took him 5 shots to kill a raccoon (in my world - nuisance raccoons are dealt with by wildlife control and dangerous - as in sick - ones are taken out by cops in one shot.

But then, as we've discussed, none of that is about the gun - it's about 1) someone who I hope to never meet and 2) someone who happens to like both BB guns and poached eggs   ;:)

Thanks for the tip though - if I think of a place to use it, I'll seriously consider it!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Max on February 09, 2009, 05:51:40 AM
he drives truck if you dont understand that well damn, and there were places most would not considering going into without one.
while i do drive a truck, it's not why i carry a gun.  in fact, i'm not allowed to carry during work because i work for the federal government.  the govt tends to frown on the concealment of firearms on their properties.

if i were just a regular joe-schmo truck driver like you commonly see, i also would be unable to legally carry a gun, but for different reasons.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 11, 2009, 09:53:25 PM
while i do drive a truck, it's not why i carry a gun.  in fact, i'm not allowed to carry during work because i work for the federal government.  the govt tends to frown on the concealment of firearms on their properties.

if i were just a regular joe-schmo truck driver like you commonly see, i also would be unable to legally carry a gun, but for different reasons.
Because of ass-hat drivers? I hate how people drive around trucks - especially in these parts where traffic is well a 24/7 problem. I think if some of you did live in massively populated places with morons you would understand the importance of cattle heard government coddling. People should be told how and when to drive and even when they are they manage to screw it up.

MV/Liberace!

by the way, fg... i have driven in your town (DC for those who don't know) multiple times.  what a pain in the ass.

Quote from: EvB on February 11, 2009, 09:09:32 PM
It does look cool.  The fact is, though, that I'm not sure WHERE I'd use it - the more I think about it.  How much noise does it make?

I gota say that two things on that page were very weird, in opposite ways.  One was that on the list of "people who bought this item also bought . . " was a pair out outer-space looking egg poachers (and the association is  ??? ) And then there was the twisted poster who described how it took him 5 shots to kill a raccoon (in my world - nuisance raccoons are dealt with by wildlife control and dangerous - as in sick - ones are taken out by cops in one shot.

But then, as we've discussed, none of that is about the gun - it's about 1) someone who I hope to never meet and 2) someone who happens to like both BB guns and poached eggs   ;:)

Thanks for the tip though - if I think of a place to use it, I'll seriously consider it!

You can use it anywhere rural if you're careful. It's maximum firing range is tested at around 280 yards I think. And it doesn't cause much noise at all really. In comparison to a real .45, it's practically silent. It's mainly, like I said, for people who want a handgun similar to a real one that weighs and feels about the same to do target practice with.

On a side note, you probably already know this, but don't underestimate bb guns. I was at a party once where a dude I know shot his thigh at point-blank range while drunk and almost died of blood loss while he was sleeping because he hit some crazy nasty artery. While generally non-lethal, C02 powered bb's can still do a lot more damage than people give them credit for if you don't follow normal gun rules...(ie, never point the barrel at yourself or another person.)

EvB

On a side note, you probably already know this, but don't underestimate bb guns. I was at a party once where a dude I know shot his thigh at point-blank range while drunk and almost died of blood loss while he was sleeping because he hit some crazy nasty artery.

Not to worry.  I grew up in a pre-anti gun world, where children were taught to respect guns rather then fear them.  In my family (and we were not atypical in this) we were allowed cap pistols as little kids - but NOT allowed to point them at anyone.  And, we were not allowed BB guns - simply because they were easy to underestimate - but were allowed 22s if we wanted and were old enough - because they were real guns that went with real responsibility.  I stuck with my archery set until I "blossomed" more quickly than anyone expected - and - um - hurt myself a few times.  (ouch) Sure - I COULD have learned a new stance and all - but - an 11 year old girl is unlikely to say to her big bother (who was my primary teacher) "Well, what do I do now that my boobs are getting in the way?"   :-X Besides - I had enough aggravation listening to my sisters sing "Spring is Busting Out All Over"

But you are QUITE right, and I'm glad you said it - I'm also sorry that such an accident happened to a friend of yours.

MV/Liberace!

bb guns are definitely underestimated.  i remember a story on the local news here about 15 years ago about a little boy who was killed by a bb gun.  the bb hit the top rim of a soda can and ricocheted into his chest, lodging in his heart and killing him.  nobody around that boy EVER saw that coming.  i'm sure of it.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 12, 2009, 01:38:57 AM
bb guns are definitely underestimated.  i remember a story on the local news here about 15 years ago about a little boy who was killed by a bb gun.  the bb hit the top rim of a soda can and ricocheted into his chest, lodging in his heart and killing him.  nobody around that boy EVER saw that coming.  i'm sure of it.
I had a GREAT bb gun growing up. I was a massive tom boy as a result of it I think.... I used to shoot coke cans from 200 feet away and I thought I was the shit. LOL. BB's are fun. But they are seriously dangerous. I knew a kid who got in trouble because he shot a postman from his bedroom. Idiot. Even a bb gun needs to be "taught" to a kid.

Centurion73

So it begins, are we on the path to follow what the Brits in the videos stated?

abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

Quote?My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban as soon as I take office. Within 90 days, we will go back after kitchen table dealers, and work to end the gun show and internet sales loopholes. In the first year, I intend to work with Congress on A NATIONAL NO CARRY LAW, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns.?

?Barack Obama, VPC Fund Raiser, 2007

According to him the LEGAL Gun Shows & LEGAL Internet Sales are a loophole?
WTF!!!

Legal = Loophole?

Dego

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4gI2q6RIhw#hq

Quote"An orderly society is the goal. Public safety is the paramount consideration," concludes the grand jury report. "The fact that public clamor has reached the ears of politicians is irrelevant."
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/permits-gun-policy-2316575-hutchens-grand#

Is bill lying in wait to ban handguns?
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=89830

Centurion73

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

[For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militiais their best security.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Timid men [citizens] prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

EvB

QuoteWe hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson                 

Happiness is a warm gun . . Bang bang - shoot shoot!

The Beatles

;D

slipstream

Quote from: Centurion73 on February 27, 2009, 12:27:50 AM
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

[For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militiais their best security.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Timid men [citizens] prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

Do they teach this stuff in school anymore?

EvB

Quote from: slipstream on February 27, 2009, 01:55:06 PM

I dunno - lord forbid we should teach anything having to do with western culture at all - let alone America. 

Look  -- I understand that we are imperialist assholes - I don't even disagree with the sentiment - but to water down cultural education in the name of being global (and the fact is it's ALL watered down) is just gross.  Pisses me off.  a LOT.

Centurion73

Quote from: slipstream on February 27, 2009, 01:55:06 PM

No, they have not taught that for some time in public schools, charter schools I do not know if they do. I remember I was taught that in forth grade here in the USA but that was long ago. Not many have read the Federalist Papers either, they should be a must but such is our state. I am not saying these (white, upper class, some slave owners,) knew everything or were the moral shinning lights but no doubt they were better educated than most of us now. They saw and fought for their freedom and ours against real tyrants and terrorist and they won. What do we do? We hand over what they fought, bled, & died for, for what, a few pieces of silver or some fake guise of it is for our protection.

Quote from: EvB on February 27, 2009, 03:55:41 PM
I dunno - lord forbid we should teach anything having to do with western culture at all - let alone America. 

Look  -- I understand that we are imperialist assholes - I don't even disagree with the sentiment - but to water down cultural education in the name of being global (and the fact is it's ALL watered down) is just gross.  Pisses me off.  a LOT.

WOW, that is great sentiment and I really did not expect that coming from you for some reason (not sure why?).

EvB

Quote from: Centurion73 on February 27, 2009, 04:44:35 PM

WOW, that is great sentiment and I really did not expect that coming from you for some reason (not sure why?).

Just 'cuz you don't know me well enough, yet.  :)

I discussed this with an old-school English prof years ago.  His example was one of the best I've heard.  We are all familiar with the detergent brand, Ajax, right?  But how many of us know, any longer, why it's called Ajax?  It just IS, yes?  NO!

Ajax is Achilles' cousin, the biggest and mightiest warrior of them all.  So, to name a cleaning product Ajax in a world that KNEW who the hell Ajax was, and use the simple slogan "Stronger than dirt" was fucking brilliant.

Now, say Ajax, and some people will think "detergent" and some people will think "programming language."  Very few will think of Homer's Iliad.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on February 27, 2009, 07:22:10 PM
Just 'cuz you don't know me well enough, yet.  :)

I discussed this with an old-school English prof years ago.  His example was one of the best I've heard.  We are all familiar with the detergent brand, Ajax, right?  But how many of us know, any longer, why it's called Ajax?  It just IS, yes?  NO!

Ajax is Achilles' cousin, the biggest and mightiest warrior of them all.  So, to name a cleaning product Ajax in a world that KNEW who the hell Ajax was, and use the simple slogan "Stronger than dirt" was fucking brilliant.

Now, say Ajax, and some people will think "detergent" and some people will think "programming language."  Very few will think of Homer's Iliad.

That is cool, I never heard that story but I know who Ajax is and most of the Greek Pantheon just from taxonomy, of organisms and such. But I never heard that story and it makes so much sense now, makes me miss my grandmother because she would always tell me things like that. She named my dad Horus (he did not like it) and for not going past 4th grade she knew all that shit somehow, thanks.