• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Quote from: Jackstar on November 25, 2016, 04:15:39 AM
I'm concerned about my scroll wheel spontaneously bursting into flames. You wanna let this guy know where your P.O. box is, have at it. YOLO

I'm getting rid of the PO box in a few months anyway.  No loss.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 25, 2016, 04:00:29 AM
I know this is a sensitive topic for you and I am not defending anything the Nazis stood for or did, but there are stories like these that show that some had a conscience.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/160607/denmarks-real-miracle-rescue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Plagge

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_attempts_on_Adolf_Hitler

There were cases like Plagge of people joining the Nazi Party without actually being Nazis. According to his history, he never believed in the Nazi racial theories which were the central tenets of Nazism. No Nazi would have done what he did to save lives, but there certainly were some Germans who did what they could to oppose the Nazis.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 25, 2016, 04:08:36 AM
I can never watch a documentary on the middle east without really craving a falafel afterward. I know it's a racist stereotype but their headdress reminds me of tablecloths too.  :D

The Middle East has its own rich history and places of beauty, but its downside is that there is too much tribalism in that region.  The US is starting to look like that in some ways - my ethnicity versus yours, who is the biggest victim and how far back can we trace our greivances.  The polar opposite of e pluribus unum.

Jackstar

Quote from: H.L.F. on November 25, 2016, 04:46:50 AM
The Middle East has its own rich history and places of beauty, but its downside is that there is too much tribalism extraterrestrial occult warfare in that region.

Hey baby, I noticed you used the apostrophe correctly. That's so hot right now.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 136 or 142 on November 24, 2016, 02:29:59 PM
Yes, but I heard you got the lowest grade ever received in that class.  :(

For what it's worth, I also took the two basic logic courses, though at a University College and not a 'real university.'  In the introductory philosophy of logic course, the instructor told me that I received one of the highest marks he had ever given and in the symbolic logic course I received either a B or a B+.

My philosophy of logic instructor and both of the instructors of the two mandatory English courses (in both of those courses making logical arguments is part of the teaching) told me that my intelligence was 'off the charts' on the high side.  Of course, as those were all university college instructors and not university professors, I took their compliment in the same spirit that I'm sure most people here will.

This post is either highly-sophisticated meta-trolling - in which case, full marks, dear boy - or it's the embarrassing ravings of a pimply oik who has never had a girlfriend and is never likely to. I take everyone's supposed qualifications on here with the seriousness they deserve, and wipe with them.

You seriously imagine that you are going to be taken seriously writing stuff like that? I've a good mind to sue you for something or other, because I felt my balls shrivel up and try to hide themselves inside my arse after struggling through that vainglorious piffle.

I'm surprised you're wasting your time with humble apes like us. Surely you ought to be putting the finishing touches to that space shuttle you are working on in the back yard. Or perfecting that cure for cancer.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 136 or 142 on November 24, 2016, 12:51:36 PM
You have got to be kidding, Dunning Kruger.  In at least 90% of your posts where you're in an argument you call the person you're arguing with 'stupid' or some other term with the same meaning and I've never seen a post you've written where your in a debate that doesn't involve you name calling. 

It's all part of my charm, think of it as one-part social satire, two parts elaborate mating ritual. You're so pathetically eager to convince people that you are more than you are (a bog-standard intellectual manque, who has no interest in learning, except as a way to try and intimidate other people) that you don't see what a cloth-headed oaf you sound like.

Please tell us all how overawed your teachers were by your prowess again. It never gets old.

Lilith

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 25, 2016, 03:57:50 AM
Biggest American oil reserve just found in a Texas.  We don't need them anytime soon between that and Canadian tar sands.

Praise MV!

theONE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 25, 2016, 07:19:09 AM
This post is either highly-sophisticated meta-trolling - in which case, full marks, dear boy - or it's the embarrassing ravings of a pimply 1,*oik who has never had a girlfriend and is never likely to. I take everyone's supposed qualifications on here with the seriousness they deserve, and wipe with them.

You seriously imagine that you are going to be taken seriously writing stuff like that? I've a good mind to sue you for something or other, 2.*because I felt my balls shrivel up and try to hide themselves inside my arse after struggling through that vainglorious piffle.

3.*I'm surprised you're wasting your time with humble apes like us.Surely you ought to be putting the finishing touches to that space shuttle you are working on in the back yard. 4.* Or perfecting that cure for cancer.

1.* What's that to you.You are homo faggot -you never had a female girlfriend, you just had/have male girfliends.

2.* up your ass you say,don't you hide your boyfriend's dick there?

3. ...or ape like yourself SV. there are those here who are of higher order than you commoner...

4.  SV, you don't need to worry about cure for cancer. You SV will be dying of AIDS.

pyewacket

I hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a pleasant holiday with delicious food and delightful visits with their friends and relatives. Let's face it, most of us don't reside in a Norman Rockwell painting and I'm curious about the conversations you've had about President-elect Trump.

I found this video a bit late for Thanksgiving but it will come in handy for the upcoming winter holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7yIPuA7zCU

Jackstar

Quote from: pyewacket on November 25, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
I hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a pleasant holiday with delicious food and delightful visits with their friends and relatives.

Yeah, cheers, Pats, I just went for the liquor.

pyewacket

Quote from: Jackstar on November 25, 2016, 01:22:08 PM
Yeah, cheers, Pats, I just went for the liquor.

You know what they say, Jacks-

“Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.”

― Ogden Nash, Hard Lines

Hope you have a speedy recovery from any ill effects.  :)

136 or 142

Quote from: Value Of Pi on November 25, 2016, 03:52:21 AM
First off, Nazis were fascists and likewise, fascists in places like Italy and Spain supported and aided Nazi policies, including genocide. So I wouldn't try to split hairs between these two political movements in theoretical terms but rather look at what they were in practice. Relative to each other, neither comes out looking any better.

Also, I don't think SFA said anything about Nazis opposing the persecution of the Jews or the Holocaust or the like. That would have been even harder for him to explain.

I'd say the Nazis were fascists but that the genocide was unique to them.  I don't know what you are referring to in saying that the fascists in Spain or Italy aided the Nazi genocide.  I read the main biography of Franco a few years ago and I recall it mentioning that he continued to order Republicans from the Spanish Civil War killed right up to his own death and that for many years after the end of the civil war he continued to have towns invaded by the military in order to root out former Republicans, but I don't recall reading that he aided in the Nazi genocide effort.

Spain remained officially neutral throughout World War II though there were two occasions where Franco considered entering on the Nazi side.  However, Hitler wasn't willing to pay Franco's price which included aiding Franco to annex Portugal.  If I recall correctly when then military situation had thoroughly changed by 1944, Franco may have briefly considered entering the war on the allied side.  Spain was in dire straits after its civil war and had very little to offer the Axis, which is why Franco needed help to annex Portugal, but Hitler was very annoyed that Franco wouldn't allow the Nazis onto Spanish soil to take Gibraltar from the British.  Hitler apparently thought that Franco owed him at least that much for helping him win the Spanish Civil War and regarded Franco as lacking gratitude.

This is what I found searching for Italy and aiding Nazi genocide: (from wiki)
Despite Benito Mussolini's close alliance with Hitler, Italy did not adopt Nazism's genocidal ideology towards the Jews. The Nazis were frustrated by the Italian forces' refusal to co-operate in the roundups of Jews, and no Jews were deported from Italy prior to the Nazi occupation of the country following the Italian capitulation in 1943.[59] In Italian-occupied Croatia, the Nazi envoy Siegfried Kasche advised Berlin that Italian forces had "apparently been influenced" by Vatican opposition to German anti-Semitism.[60] As anti-Axis feeling grew in Italy, the use of Vatican Radio to broadcast papal disapproval of race murder and anti-Semitism angered the Nazis.[61] Mussolini was overthrown in July 1943, and the Nazis moved to occupy Italy, commencing a round-up of Jews. Though thousands were caught, the great majority of Italy's Jews were saved. As in other nations, Catholic networks were heavily engaged in rescue efforts

And Spain
Spain[edit]
In Franco's Spain, several diplomats contributed very actively to rescue Jews during the Holocaust. The two most prominent ones were Ángel Sanz Briz (the Angel of Budapest), who saved around five thousand Hungarian Jews by providing them Spanish passports, and Eduardo Propper de Callejón, who helped thousands of Jews to escape from France to Spain. Other diplomats with a relevant role were Bernardo Rolland de Miota (consul of Spain at Paris), José Rojas Moreno (Ambassador at Bucharest), Miguel Ángel de Muguiro (diplomat at the Embassy in Budapest), Sebastián Romero Radigales (Consul at Athens), Julio Palencia Tubau, (diplomat at the Embassy in Sofía), Juan Schwartz Díaz-Flores (Consul at Vienna) and José Ruiz Santaella (diplomat at the Embassy in Berlin).

136 or 142

Quote from: Jackstar on November 25, 2016, 03:53:58 AM
It can't be legit, because "deflation" isn't really a word.

However, it's outrageous for anyone to claim that there are no writings of Thomas Jefferson that are opposed to the idea of central banking. So anytime someone says, "Jefferson never wrote that!!!", they're following a pro-Federal Reserve agenda.

It's textbook. Who else would suppress this?

I wrote both, Jefferson never said that and Jefferson opposed the idea of central banking.  Jefferson was wrong on that as he was wrong on the idea of wanting the U.S to remain a nation of yeoman farmers.  (I previously erroneously referred to citizen farmers.)

136 or 142

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 25, 2016, 07:26:46 AM
Please tell us all how overawed your teachers were by your prowess again. It never gets old.

Two of my English instructors and my philosophy of logic instructor all told me that I was off the charts intelligent on the high side.

There, I told you again.  Are you happy now?

136 or 142

It's all part of my charm, think of it as one-part social satire, two parts elaborate mating ritual.

Who is this mating ritual with?  My guess is that it's with yourself.

136 or 142

You're so pathetically eager to convince people that you are more than you are (a bog-standard intellectual manque, who has no interest in learning, except as a way to try and intimidate other people) that you don't see what a cloth-headed oaf you sound like.

I'm surprised you're wasting your time with humble apes like us. Surely you ought to be putting the finishing touches to that space shuttle you are working on in the back yard. Or perfecting that cure for cancer.

Have you ever felt intimidated by anything I've ever posted here?  I realize you wrote 'try and intimidate' but I think in order to have that view you must have felt intimidated by something I posted here.

No space shuttle or cure for cancer from me, outside of mathematics I'm quite poor in grasping many of the concepts in physics or biology.  Maybe a major economics theory though.

Of course, in so far as you responded to my post calling you a hypocrite with your nonsense about mating rituals that I didn't understand the point of in the slightest, I have to add that bizarre behavior like yours is also completely outside of my realm of understanding.  I have no idea what point(s) you are trying to make with any of your posts except for the handful that are your attempts to educate people on topics your interested in.

Were you sincere in your response to me after I called PB genuinely mentally challenged?  Or, given your own long history here of calling people 'stupid' were you trolling me or trying to make some kind of joke? 

I don't really care to know because I don't care about you and I know you won't give me a straight answer anyway, I just wrote those questions as an example of how I genuinely have no clue as to what nearly all your posts here are supposed to mean.

My best guess is that you're trying to impress if not intimidate everybody here with your large vocabulary.

You strike me as being one seriously f- up person.

CornyCrow

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 24, 2016, 10:37:06 PM
Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving.  :D :D :D I'm kind of over politics for the time being and I really don't have anything substantial to add to the conversation as of this moment.  All is right in my world right now.  We shall see if this will last.  Again, Happy Thanksgiving!! :D :D :D
Thanks.  Back at 'ya. 

CornyCrow

Quote from: H.L.F. on November 25, 2016, 04:46:50 AM
The Middle East has its own rich history and places of beauty, but its downside is that there is too much tribalism in that region.  The US is starting to look like that in some ways - my ethnicity versus yours, who is the biggest victim and how far back can we trace our greivances.  The polar opposite of e pluribus unum.
But e pluribus unum is an ideal for which to strive, and not something mandated.  There are philosophies that are just incompatible.  'Slave to Allah', taken seriously, is not compatible with democratic ideals.  We do best, existing with a separation between us.  Combining these two peoples without an analysis of philosophical differences is like mixing oil and water. 

Many religions in the world have morphed with the times, though they don't like to admit it.  Islam is one of the laggards.  Many of their societies have been stuck in the past, just treading water, not moving forward.  They choose to come here and then experience culture shock. 

136 or 142

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 25, 2016, 04:02:40 AM
Well I agree with the gist of what Jefferson believed but I'm kind of anal and I suspect 136 is the same way when it comes to actual quotes.  Jefferson said something similar to the quote but many of the words were different.

I do have an academic bent, likely anal, for proper attribution, but I wasn't being merely pedantic.  This fake quote from Jefferson is frequently used by those who oppose the Federal Reserve, including from several of the guests on Coast to Coast.  I personally don't know why Jefferson opposed central banks but this fake quote hints at the idea that Jefferson was tuned into the conspiratorial view that central banks are part of some alleged cabal that controls the world.

However that fake quote doesn't even mention a central bank as it says '...ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency.'  Given the 'control the issue of their currency' I think it is interpreted by many, including those here, to believe that this fake quote is a reference to the Federal Reserve which is falsely regarded as being 'owned by the private banks.'

This part of the fake quote likely does accurately reflect Jefferson's true sentiments: "the banks and corporations that will grow up around them"  as it is well known that Jefferson wanted the U.S to remain a nation of yeoman farmers. For at least the two reasons I've mentioned on this before, Alexander Hamilton was completely right about this, and Jefferson, though possessing a positive idealism here, must have been genuinely a little insane to believe that a government in a free society could prevent its people from leaving their farms and becoming industrialists.

136 or 142

Quote from: Segundus on November 25, 2016, 03:07:45 PM
But e pluribus unum is an ideal for which to strive, and not something mandated.  There are philosophies that are just incompatible.  'Slave to Allah', taken seriously, is not compatible with democratic ideals.  We do best, existing with a separation between us.  Combining these two peoples without an analysis of philosophical differences is like mixing oil and water. 

Many religions in the world have morphed with the times, though they don't like to admit it.  Islam is one of the laggards.  Many of their societies have been stuck in the past, just treading water, not moving forward.  They choose to come here and then experience culture shock.

This sounds like the debate that some are trying to start here in Canada of requiring would be immigrants to Canada to take some sort of test to show they share Canadian values.  So, first I don't want any government to define what 'Canadian values' are, and, second, in our country any new citizen has to take an oath that reads:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfill my duties as a Canadian citizen."

The allegiance to her Majesty part has been defined to include things like our Constitution and 'observe the laws of Canada' is self explanatory.  For me, the Constitution and our laws are as much a definition of 'Canadian values' that I want.

We've generally had good success in integrating immigrants into the larger Canadian mosaic, including Muslims, and, outside of the handful of stories that get a lot of attention in your country, you Americans seem to have done pretty well on this score as well of integrating immigrants into your melting pot.

As has been said by a number of commentators on the proposals to have a test of Canadian values for citizenship:  "This is a solution in search of a problem."

There are many individuals, mostly with a religious perspective, and not just Muslims, but the fundamentalists of all religions who hold views that are antithetical to democratic values, but as long as they express those views only through speech or through the ballot box, they have every right to hold those views, as much as you or I may disagree with them.

I would also note, that you just elected a President who expressed many authoritarian views on the campaign trail that strike me and many others as being antithetical both to democratic values and to democratic institutions.  So, potential threats to democracy don't just come from religious fundamentalists.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: 136 or 142 on November 25, 2016, 02:03:41 PM
I'd say the Nazis were fascists but that the genocide was unique to them.  I don't know what you are referring to in saying that the fascists in Spain or Italy aided the Nazi genocide.  I read the main biography of Franco a few years ago and I recall it mentioning that he continued to order Republicans from the Spanish Civil War killed right up to his own death and that for many years after the end of the civil war he continued to have towns invaded by the military in order to root out former Republicans, but I don't recall reading that he aided in the Nazi genocide effort.

Spain remained officially neutral throughout World War II though there were two occasions where Franco considered entering on the Nazi side.  However, Hitler wasn't willing to pay Franco's price which included aiding Franco to annex Portugal.  If I recall correctly when then military situation had thoroughly changed by 1944, Franco may have briefly considered entering the war on the allied side.  Spain was in dire straits after its civil war and had very little to offer the Axis, which is why Franco needed help to annex Portugal, but Hitler was very annoyed that Franco wouldn't allow the Nazis onto Spanish soil to take Gibraltar from the British.  Hitler apparently thought that Franco owed him at least that much for helping him win the Spanish Civil War and regarded Franco as lacking gratitude.

This is what I found searching for Italy and aiding Nazi genocide: (from wiki)
Despite Benito Mussolini's close alliance with Hitler, Italy did not adopt Nazism's genocidal ideology towards the Jews. The Nazis were frustrated by the Italian forces' refusal to co-operate in the roundups of Jews, and no Jews were deported from Italy prior to the Nazi occupation of the country following the Italian capitulation in 1943.[59] In Italian-occupied Croatia, the Nazi envoy Siegfried Kasche advised Berlin that Italian forces had "apparently been influenced" by Vatican opposition to German anti-Semitism.[60] As anti-Axis feeling grew in Italy, the use of Vatican Radio to broadcast papal disapproval of race murder and anti-Semitism angered the Nazis.[61] Mussolini was overthrown in July 1943, and the Nazis moved to occupy Italy, commencing a round-up of Jews. Though thousands were caught, the great majority of Italy's Jews were saved. As in other nations, Catholic networks were heavily engaged in rescue efforts

And Spain
Spain[edit]
In Franco's Spain, several diplomats contributed very actively to rescue Jews during the Holocaust. The two most prominent ones were Ángel Sanz Briz (the Angel of Budapest), who saved around five thousand Hungarian Jews by providing them Spanish passports, and Eduardo Propper de Callejón, who helped thousands of Jews to escape from France to Spain. Other diplomats with a relevant role were Bernardo Rolland de Miota (consul of Spain at Paris), José Rojas Moreno (Ambassador at Bucharest), Miguel Ángel de Muguiro (diplomat at the Embassy in Budapest), Sebastián Romero Radigales (Consul at Athens), Julio Palencia Tubau, (diplomat at the Embassy in Sofía), Juan Schwartz Díaz-Flores (Consul at Vienna) and José Ruiz Santaella (diplomat at the Embassy in Berlin).

You should keep reading about this subject to get a more realistic picture. Jews were persecuted and killed all across Europe, including occupied countries like Hungary (which actually welcomed their new conquerors) and Rumania and allied countries like Italy and Vichy France (also, forget Spanish "neutrality" since Hitler was on Franco's side right through the Spanish Civil War, so Spain was no haven from the horrors). The Nazis were at the core of the killing but they were far from unique since they had plenty of help from local populations in rounding up and killing undesirables.

There were no safe havens in Europe other than Switzerland and Sweden, assuming you could get there. In any other country, Jews, gypsies, et al were subject to death, mistreatment or deportation at any time. Keep in mind too that the individuals who used their position to try to save those being persecuted were rare exceptions and very far from being the rule. Most officials cooperated with the Nazis, some more enthusiastically than others.

Check out the U.S. Holocaust Museum, in person or the website, for more perspective.

136 or 142

There might not be a recount after all.  The rumor is that Dr Jill Stein and the $5 million she raised were last seen somewhere in Mexico.  :D

That's how you make money the easy way, Dobsy.

CornyCrow

Quote from: 136 or 142 on November 25, 2016, 03:29:18 PM
This sounds like the debate that some are trying to start here in Canada of requiring would be immigrants to Canada to take some sort of test to show they share Canadian values.  So, first I don't want any government to define what 'Canadian values' are, and, second, in our country any new citizen has to take an oath that reads:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfill my duties as a Canadian citizen."

The allegiance to her Majesty part has been defined to include things like our Constitution and 'observe the laws of Canada' is self explanatory.  For me, the Constitution and our laws are as much a definition of 'Canadian values' that I want.

We've generally had good success in integrating immigrants into the larger Canadian mosaic, including Muslims, and, outside of the handful of stories that get a lot of attention in your country, you Americans seem to have done pretty well on this score as well of integrating immigrants into your melting pot.

As has been said by a number of commentators on the proposals to have a test of Canadian values for citizenship:  "This is a solution in search of a problem."

There are many individuals, mostly with a religious perspective, and not just Muslims, but the fundamentalists of all religions who hold views that are antithetical to democratic values, but as long as they express those views only through speech or through the ballot box, they have every right to hold those views, as much as you or I may disagree with them.

I would also note, that you just elected a President who expressed many authoritarian views on the campaign trail that strike me and many others as being antithetical both to democratic values and to democratic institutions.  So, potential threats to democracy don't just come from religious fundamentalists.
I didn't vote for Trump, but he seems to be backtracking from some of his more radical promises. 

We have always had small groups of dissenting religious fanatics.  The thing is, they are a small portion of the population.  They learn to adapt to the parent culture as best they can.  They are too small in numbers to expect that the parent culture will adapt to them. 

I mentioned before that Germany is now printing comic books for Syrian refugees to give them some idea of how the German culture differs from their own.  Comic books, because many are illiterate even in their own language. 

There should be some function of government, when we invite hoards of a particular culture onto our shores, that does translate our culture to them.  Religion does not trump civic function  Police are allowed to attend religious meetings.  Hajibs and burkas are recognized as an individual voluntary thing and not demanded by the Koran.  We do not approve of killing people who leave a religion or who cheat on their spouses.  Children can refuse mates that parents choose for them. 

Simple things, that seem to foster misunderstandings.   

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on November 25, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
I hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a pleasant holiday with delicious food and delightful visits with their friends and relatives. Let's face it, most of us don't reside in a Norman Rockwell painting and I'm curious about the conversations you've had about President-elect Trump.

Not saying we're Norman Rockwell by any means, but it never came up -- would be about as likely as talking sex at the table.  I'm amazed at all the stories suggesting this is a thing.

136 or 142

Quote from: Value Of Pi on November 25, 2016, 03:36:56 PM
You should keep reading about this subject to get a more realistic picture. Jews were persecuted and killed all across Europe, including occupied countries like Hungary (which actually welcomed their new conquerors) and Rumania and allied countries like Italy and Vichy France (also, forget Spanish "neutrality" since Hitler was on Franco's side right through the Spanish Civil War, so Spain was no haven from the horrors). The Nazis were at the core of the killing but they were far from unique since they had plenty of help from local populations in rounding up and killing undesirables.

There were no safe havens in Europe other than Switzerland and Sweden, assuming you could get there. In any other country, Jews, gypsies, et al were subject to death, mistreatment or deportation at any time. Keep in mind too that the individuals who used their position to try to save those being persecuted were rare exceptions and very far from being the rule. Most officials cooperated with the Nazis, some more enthusiastically than others.

Check out the U.S. Holocaust Museum, in person or the website, for more perspective.

This is from the 2002 book The Holocaust Chronicles

"Although Spain's head of state, General Francisco Franco, sympathized with the Axis powers, his political policies saved an estimated 17,000 Jews from the death camps.  Franco refused to enter the war.  Instead, he declared Spain a 'nonbelligerent,' and during the latter half of the war changed the country's status to 'neutral.'

Franco frustrated the SS by declaring descendants of Sephardic Jews eligible for Spanish citizenship, and thus entitled to asylum in Spanish embassies.  Spain consequently because a main avenue of escape for Europe's Jews.  Some hoped to find asylum within the country, but most intended to embark from Spanish ports for sanctuary overseas.

The fall of France in 1940 unleashed a flood of refugees seeking entry into Spain.  Initially, the Spanish government willingly granted transit visas, but then authorities become more hesitant to open frontiers.  Still, many refugees slipped across the northern border illegally, trekking over hazardous mountain routes.  By the summer of 1942, Jewish aid organizations helped an estimated 7500 pass through Spain to continue their journey.

Spanish authorities worked to discourage refugees from remaining in the country, and established internment camps for those who did.  When border crossings increased again in 1943, refugees were permitted to live in Spanish cities."

Page 331

There are other write ups in the book about Franco and I'm sure about Mussolini as well, but I have to go right now.