• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151123 - Michio Kaku - Sciencey Stuff - Live Show Chat

Started by jazmunda, November 23, 2015, 05:30:09 PM

Ciardelo

Quote from: maren on November 23, 2015, 11:49:28 PM
Thanks to you, too (Coaster pointed me in the right direction).  I went looking for your Thread, but didn't find it, so thanks for chiming in.  Interesting -- I haven't been the least bit interested in what Plant's been doing for some reason.  This might be an entirely new wonder for me!   ;)
bumper music posted the next day: http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,8296.0.html

TigerLily

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 23, 2015, 11:47:52 PM
Don't worry, nanotechnological molecular deconstruction will be fast and painless. Well, unless they don't want it to be, of course.  ;D
I think I saw that offered at a cosmetics laser center in Beverly Hills.

Quote from: albrecht on November 23, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
I'm not. Good economy, less crime, good tv/movies, good family life, etc and yes, some wars "police actions", but not still the constant war policies and other craziness.

Second that.

TigerLily

Quote from: maren on November 23, 2015, 11:49:28 PM
Thanks to you, too (Coaster pointed me in the right direction).  I went looking for your Thread, but didn't find it, so thanks for chiming in.  Interesting -- I haven't been the least bit interested in what Plant's been doing for some reason.  This might be an entirely new wonder for me!   ;)
Heresy, Sister Princess!

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 23, 2015, 11:49:57 PM
cats are smarter than dogs MK
I doubt it. In some circumstances where domestication has gone on. But, cats need to learn how to hunt/kill from their mom (why strays and domestics cats sometimes can't kill as effectively.) Dogs go feral much easier (local incident of 'family' dogs getting together in a pack during the day and savaging some sheep (area is suburbs by farms) and coming home for dinner and playing with kids. Dogs on Moscow subway? Coyotes and foxes becoming pest in urban areas from USA to London?  But I grant that cats are more autonomous and clever and dogs (domestic) can be specialized or over-reliant on their owners. Idk.

jazmunda

Kaku is a wrap up show/guest to all the other shows/guests.

Zzzzillion

"Doctor, in the future will doctors make good radio guests?"

trostol

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 23, 2015, 11:49:57 PM
cats are smarter than dogs MK

not saying much for dogs cause cats can be idiots lol..plus dogs have more personality..substitute cats in this line

Well, we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfucking pig. I mean, he'd have to be ten times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm saying?

zeebo

Quote from: Zenman on November 23, 2015, 11:47:18 PM
That's the best news I've had all week.   :)

Hopefully some far future generation's problem.  Serves 'em right for getting jetpacks and we didn't.

Juan Cena

Quote from: albrecht on November 23, 2015, 11:43:17 PM
On balance? Yeah, I'm for it, though, as I mentioned the "police action" in Korea etc were bad.

Income taxes were also much higher then, it should be noted.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on November 23, 2015, 11:55:14 PM
I doubt it. In some circumstances where domestication has gone on. But, cats need to learn how to hunt/kill from their mom (why strays and domestics cats sometimes can't kill as effectively.) Dogs go feral much easier (local incident of 'family' dogs getting together in a pack during the day and savaging some sheep (area is suburbs by farms) and coming home for dinner and playing with kids. Dogs on Moscow subway? Coyotes and foxes becoming pest in urban areas from USA to London?  But I grant that cats are more autonomous and clever and dogs (domestic) can be specialized or over-reliant on their owners. Idk.
You knew what I meant ;)

maren

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 23, 2015, 11:52:06 PM

Saw that this morning. Seems the religion of peace is shockingly thinking of doing some not-so-peaceful things.
Actually issued early today. The r

This is SO not about their faith, and they don't even bother to pretend anymore.   It's become some kind of a club for losers with a penchant for violence (IMO, natch).  They really do a grave disservice to those who are genuine in their beliefs.  Ugly.

Barfly

Quote from: jazmunda on November 23, 2015, 11:54:01 PM
Super Soliders.

I have 3 out of those 4 action figures, and im 60.
Ya can never take the kid out of a adult  ;)
Also have a bunch of Duke Nukem stuff.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Juan Cena on November 23, 2015, 11:46:43 PM
You would that a civilization like that would have developed technologies that really didn't need that much energy. Thus making Dyson Spheres unesseciary.

Correct. It all depends on what their motives are. If they wish to achieve a perfect hedonistic utopia, then that can be done only within a computer simulation. They would choose the Matrix, which is basically what we do already with video games and the internet in a rudimentary form. They would hit type II and then ignore the universe at large and live within a simulation created by uploading their consciousnesses into a matroishka brain computer, which would be detectable as a some kind of Dyson sphere and never advance to Type III. Or they may just upload themselves into a nanotechnological cloud and be completely undetectable, even if you were right on top of them. They would look like a fog bank hanging around a planet emitting only low-level radiation.

What they could never ignore however are external threats. And that may well mean eradicating all other intelligent life within their galaxy.

Zenman

Quote from: jazmunda on November 23, 2015, 11:55:18 PM
Kaku is a wrap up show/guest to all the other shows/guests.

Yep. I'm guessing he must be one of Art's absolute favorite interviewees.