• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151116 - Jill Heinerth - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, November 16, 2015, 07:11:17 PM

albrecht

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 16, 2015, 11:35:00 PM
Point, well taken (just got a shiver.  Yikes).
Had a sorta crazy neighbor would would make his own tanks and would only dive solo. Old guy. In his 70's went to Ol' Mexico to dive over some reef/shelf and never came back. Body never found. He was a character and we in the neighborhood still think, maybe, he faked his own death. Though wishful thinking. Could've been suicide or accident (or some of both.) He also was a gold-bug before I knew about buying gold and those characters (or heard Art Bell commercials....this was decades ago.) We looked for the Krugerrands at his place afterwards but no dice.

xphile

Who was the female cave diver Art interviewed several years ago? That was a good show.

Biggie Shackelton took a bad route in Antarctica. It would have been nice if she was able to compare her journey.

albrecht

Quote from: xphile on November 16, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
Who was the female cave diver Art interviewed several years ago? That was a good show.
The other "cave lady" was Bonnie Crystal
http://qrz.com/db/KQ6XA

starrmtn001

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 16, 2015, 11:37:29 PM
Silting and low visibility are weird, but conquerable as long as you're not claustrophobic. Most oil rig diving (which involves a lot of underwater welding) is done in almost zero visibility. Cold water, no viz and welding - this never was of interest to me. There's lots to see in a cave or shipwreck as long as you bring your lights along.
I imagine iceberg cave diving must be other worldly.   I'll take my answer off the air and on dry land thank you very much. ;D

xphile

Thanks for the replies guys..I literally remembered her name as soon as I posted the question.

Zzzzillion

450 feet? I'm not a serious diver, but that doesn't sound that deep. My office is about that high up in the air.

Juan Cena

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2015, 11:25:22 PM
I never read the book but don't get the Guy Fawkes stuff? The dude trying to blow up Parliament, arguably a 'democratic' institution, in service of the Papacy is now the idol of anarchists? Really? They think Rome is is such a place of freedom and no secrets or political intrigue etc?  :o

When Moore and Lloyd were developing the original UK comic book version of V for Vendetta, they were stuggling with what V should look like. Lloyd came up with the idea with using the Guy Fawkes mask and get-up. His idea was that Fawkes should be celebrated for trying to blow up Parliment instead of being burned in effigy every Nov 5. I doubt the Catholic connection was something they really thought of at the time.

Also note that the original Version of VfV had even more of an anarchist slant than the movie did.

albrecht

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 16, 2015, 11:45:25 PM
450 feet? I'm not a serious diver, but that doesn't sound that deep. My office is about that high up in the air.
Right now a lot of current public school students, and maybe even some teachers, are agreeing with your analysis.

starrmtn001

Quote from: xphile on November 16, 2015, 11:41:05 PM
Bonnie (something).  I heard that show on the radio.  It was very good.

norland2424

there is alot more pressure going that deep in the water then going that high in the air lol

FLLFlash

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2015, 11:40:12 PM
Had a sorta crazy neighbor would would make his own tanks and would only dive solo. Old guy. In his 70's went to Ol' Mexico to dive over some reef/shelf and never came back. Body never found. He was a character and we in the neighborhood still think, maybe, he faked his own death. Though wishful thinking. Could've been suicide or accident (or some of both.) He also was a gold-bug before I knew about buying gold and those characters (or heard Art Bell commercials....this was decades ago.) We looked for the Krugerrands at his place afterwards but no dice.

Could have been a suicide. You could do it when diving alone in such a way that you would never be found. Most of the people I know of who have died while diving were found, but they weren't trying to die. Shit just went sideways on them and they could get themselves out of it.

Zzzzillion

Off topic:

Me and my insomnia just got done getting caught up on The Walking Dead (Season 5 kicked ass). Looking for a new binge watch suggestion.

I'm thinking maybe FX's Fargo.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Juan Cena on November 16, 2015, 11:46:07 PM
When Moore and Lloyd were developing the original UK comic book version of V for Vendetta, they were stuggling with what V should look like. Lloyd came up with the idea with using the Guy Fawkes mask and get-up. His idea was that Fawkes should be celebrated for trying to blow up Parliment instead of being burned in effigy every Nov 5. I doubt the Catholic connection was something they really thought of at the time.

Also note that the original Version of VfV had even more of an anarchist slant than the movie did.

Ironic that the mask image is owned by Time Warner.  WTH?

Quote from: Juan Cena on November 16, 2015, 11:26:20 PM
I sent a message to [Redacted] suggesting Moore and Morrison as guests. Not to mention Gaiman and Ellis (I either pimp Ellis around here either too much or not enough).
Word on the street is Moore is a discombobulated mess in interviews and his interviews require lots of editing.

Gaiman is probably too far to the left for Art.

https://youtu.be/yDy1Tnm30Js

albrecht

Quote from: Juan Cena on November 16, 2015, 11:46:07 PM

Several years ago I saw a bunch of people in the masks outside some bank, I guess related to the comic/movie and the start of the ill-fated Occupy stuff. I was a funny scene because, wasn't too many people but it was a bit shocking and the mask is a good, sorta creepy, deal. Even ignoring the history, and Catholic stuff, which is very well known- especially if the authors are British, it is odd to me that attacking the only, at least a bit, 'democratic' or 'representative' institution is somehow a blow against royalty or despotism? Though, I guess like most terrorism, it helps escalate things.

300' deep is equivalent to 10 atmospheres, or 147 Lbs per square inch. Air pressure and water pressure are totally different. 450' deep takes a very skilled professional. She's not in a diving bell or a brass suit. 

FLLFlash

The diving limit on air is 300 ft. Deeper than 300 ft. the partial pressure of O2 is toxic and will kill you. They were doing this on special gas mixtures and is considered technical diving. I've done about 240 - 260 ft. max on air and that was really pretty fringe. It worked and I am here to tell the story. I wouldn't do it again at my age. Might not work out so well now.

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 16, 2015, 11:48:08 PM
Off topic:

Me and my insomnia just got done getting caught up on The Walking Dead (Season 5 kicked ass). Looking for a new binge watch suggestion.

I'm thinking maybe FX's Fargo.
Fargo Kicks ass. Especially season 2.

jazmunda

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 16, 2015, 11:54:58 PM
Fargo Kicks ass. Especially season 2.

Agreed. I loved Season 1 but I'm a big fan of Season 2.

albrecht

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 16, 2015, 11:47:52 PM
Could have been a suicide. You could do it when diving alone in such a way that you would never be found. Most of the people I know of who have died while diving were found, but they weren't trying to die. Shit just went sideways on them and they could get themselves out of it.
Yeah, likely but I still like to speculate that he is on some beach somewhere sippin Margaritas. He was a bit nuts, before I knew there were lots of people like this (this was pre-listening to C2C and Art.) Wouldn't pay taxes, bought and hid gold, made his own stuff (including diving tanks,) would collect golf balls in the lake with his tanks and sell them, but had a nice house and property (inheritance I think.) Also was a cowboy song singer (actually pretty good.) I forget where in Mex he went, but on a tour to some reef that also has a continental shelf drop off....way down. He said he was going to beat his personal depth record. But, yeah, I have suspicions.

Zzzzillion

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 16, 2015, 11:52:12 PM
300' deep is equivalent to 10 atmospheres, or 147 Lbs per square inch. Air pressure and water pressure are totally different. 450' deep takes a very skilled professional. She's not in a diving bell or a brass suit.

Yep, agree ... just doesn't seem that deep to my layperson brain. When I look down from my office window, if the whole thing were under water, just seems like I could swim that far down.

Mariana trench ... 36,000' deep ... that's fucking deep, but whaddo' I know.

norland2424

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 16, 2015, 11:57:08 PM
Does Netflix streaming have it?

i just looked and it seems that they dont carry the show