• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sports Kneelers

Started by Zenman, September 24, 2017, 02:09:25 AM

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on May 25, 2018, 09:40:40 AM
Because I am or was conflicted. I pretty much agree with you. A headline yesterday about fines being imposed on teams caught my attention. Other than that, I have completely ignored the issue since it began. The last NFL game I watched was when the kneeling started.

I should clarify my tacit defense of the protestors - free speech and the right to protest are important American rights. Having said that, it is clear that kneeling during the National Anthem at your job, as a professional athlete, is not a protected form of speech or protest. NFL and the teams are businesses...

Correct.  Our Constitutional rights are there protect us from the government.  They don't apply to this situation, regardless of what the players think or what the media tells us.  There is no right to drive customers away from the business that hires you.  A person can't just do or say whatever they want in the workplace, the claim First Amendment protection.

Metron2267

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on May 25, 2018, 01:11:56 PM
Correct.  Our Constitutional rights are there protect us from the government.  They don't apply to this situation, regardless of what the players think or what the media tells us.  There is no right to drive customers away from the business that hires you.  A person can't just do or say whatever they want in the workplace, the claim First Amendment protection.

But that's the millennial way - the US Constitution is an esoteric old document they neither studied, read, nor bothered to understand before trying ardently to break it apart.

We need body cameras for service dogs too...

:o

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on May 25, 2018, 09:40:40 AM
Because I am or was conflicted. I pretty much agree with you. A headline yesterday about fines being imposed on teams caught my attention. Other than that, I have completely ignored the issue since it began. The last NFL game I watched was when the kneeling started.

I should clarify my tacit defense of the protestors - free speech and the right to protest are important American rights. Having said that, it is clear that kneeling during the National Anthem at your job, as a professional athlete, is not a protected form of speech or protest. NFL and the teams are businesses. (If the wikipedia article on the NFL is reliable, the NFL gave up its tax-exempt status in 2015)

As businesses, the owners can fire and blacklist anybody they want. If the kneelers are out of line and alienating the public, the kneelers can be fired.

IMO, kneeling for however many years fails as a form of protest. It loses its shock value and does nothing but anger the public. Furthermore, I fail to see why somebody who earns 150,000,000 per year or whatever it is can't create some kind of organisation that can bring attention to his cause in a more appropriate way. Facebook would only be the beginning. How about something that helps the peopel in the neighborhoods where high crime and police brutality happens?

Watch it! Agreeing with him is just the setup for him classifying you as the dumbest Bellgabber. ;)

albrecht

Leftists are clueless but, I guess, they can't be blamed because they get their 'understanding' of civil rights and the Constitution by leftist teachers.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/activists-storm-nfl-headquarters-protest-anthem-protest-ban-article-1.4010058

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on May 25, 2018, 04:05:55 PM
Leftists are clueless but, I guess, they can't be blamed because they get their 'understanding' of civil rights and the Constitution by leftist teachers.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/activists-storm-nfl-headquarters-protest-anthem-protest-ban-article-1.4010058

This York turd is the same brainstem that Harbaugh kicked out of the locker rom when he was coaching the 49rs:

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/sf-49ers-jim-harbaugh-jed-york-players-meeting-men-only/
Our old friend and former contributor Kyle “Ruthless Sports Guy” McLorg dropped an interesting tidbit during last night’s Warriors game.

Source: midway thru 2014, York walked into meeting Harbaugh was holding w/ players, & Harbaugh told Jed that the meeting was for “men only”

â€" Kyle McLorg (@Kyle_McLorgBASG) June 8, 2015

Certainly not the beginning of the animosity, but the source said it was a major breaking point in the Harbaugh-York relationship

â€" Kyle McLorg (@Kyle_McLorgBASG) June 8, 2015

Based on McLorg’s sourcing in the past, I have no doubt that this story is true in some sense. It’s uncertain whether Jim Harbaugh was referring to his players as “mighty men” and setting them apart from Jed York in that way, or if he meant to describe York as an adolescent to humiliate him in front of 50-odd people.

Based on past history, I think most of us would assume the latter.