Amazing ( way over used)

NomNom

craycray

I know, right?

awesomesauce

earbuds

Everything happens for a reason

We're pregnant

Only god can judge me - always said by some moron who is doing some obviously wrong.

Epic

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN

BAE? ???

I never heard anyone say cool beans until about ten years ago. Before that we just used to say cool.

Can you still call a kid kiddo?

We're pregnant - Is this really getting over used?

But what if something actually is epic, like The Odyssey?

I take exception to butthurt. It's a perfectly fine word for this day and age.

albrecht

BAE? Sure the corporate 'defence' and aerospace company has had issues but annoying? Or meaning something else?

I will add to list:
"false flag" when applied to everything, without precision.
"Bucket list"
"Green-space" "greenspace" "green space"

Any scandal with -gate tacked onto the end

albrecht

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 10, 2018, 10:48:44 PM
Agreed, unless a gate actually involved.

Add:

"Sustainable"
"No judgements here"
"Inclusive"

At the end of the day

The guy from Pittsburgh

Quote from: whoozit on April 10, 2018, 06:08:58 PM
Going forward or on a go forward basis.  At least it rules out time travel.

Going forward gets me too!

When people begin an answer to a question or statement with "so"

Having said that

zeebo

For a long time on cable news everyone was "breaking it down" for us.

albrecht

Quote from: sumthinz going on on April 10, 2018, 10:57:30 PM
Going forward gets me too!

When people begin an answer to a question or statement with "so"

Having said that
So, at the end of the day, we must go forward, and keep pushing the envelope. Remember, paradigms aren't shifted unless we think out of the box and leverage unrecognized talent so often marginalized....

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on April 10, 2018, 10:59:01 PM
For a long time on cable news everyone was "breaking it down" for us.
I'm interested on your "TAKE" on the issue of why some programs like Alex's likes to "boil it down" rather than the MSM's "break it down?"

Quote from: albrecht on April 10, 2018, 11:02:13 PM
So, at the end of the day, we must go forward, and keep pushing the envelope. Remember, paradigms aren't shifted unless we think out of the box and leverage unrecognized talent so often marginalized....

IKR?

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on April 10, 2018, 11:04:40 PM
I'm interested on your "TAKE" on the issue of why some programs like Alex's likes to "boil it down" rather than the MSM's "break it down?"

Not sure about that boiling variant, but "What's your take on ..." is a cousin to the equally overused "What do you make of ..."? 

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on April 10, 2018, 11:14:02 PM
Not sure about that boiling variant, but "What's your take on ..." is a cousin to the equally overused "What do you make of ..."?
If I were working for Oxford, etc dictionary my citation would be (on phone so NOT to ise proper citation framework)
"boiling it down" alternative expression for "explaining simply" "getting to key facts" "ignoring complexity or ambiquity"
Expression: from boiling stews and crawfish (see ref: 'crayfish')
Often used by Infowars. Variant (in MSM, disputed see citation "fake news") "here's what you need to know."
"Take" would reference. Term used by sports talk for brief, ill-informed opinion that was adopted by other people, like Norry, opinion/view on some issue.

albrecht

Quote from: sumthinz going on on April 10, 2018, 11:07:25 PM
IKR?
People dont't "get" that 'Office Space' and 'The Office' were documentaries (in the latter first season) of Austin and Britain during a period of time. Hence why so funny.

zeebo

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 10, 2018, 10:48:44 PM

Except perhaps the best one of all, Barneygate (the purple dinosaur who overcharged kids for tickets).

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on April 10, 2018, 11:35:26 PM
Except perhaps the best one of all, Barneygate (the purple dinosaur who overcharged kids for tickets).
Ha! I thought that one involved a certain politician from Mass and a homosexual prostitution? That, of course, of which he was unaware. Maybe connected though? Where's 4-chan or jackstar? Barney was sorta creepy...

Quote from: albrecht on April 10, 2018, 11:26:21 PM
If I were working for Oxford, etc dictionary my citation would be (on phone so NOT to ise proper citation framework)
"boiling it down" alternative expression for "explaining simply" "getting to key facts" "ignoring complexity or ambiquity"
Expression: from boiling stews and crawfish (see ref: 'crayfish')
Often used by Infowars. Variant (in MSM, disputed see citation "fake news") "here's what you need to know."
"Take" would reference. Term used by sports talk for brief, ill-informed opinion that was adopted by other people, like Norry, opinion/view on some issue.

Too often when people "break things down" for an audience,  what they really mean is "here is what you should think"

albrecht

Quote from: sumthinz going on on April 10, 2018, 11:42:39 PM
Too often when people "break things down" for an audience,  what they really mean is "here is what you should think"
Why politicians, leaders, etc successful are lawyers, actors, etc. Know the methods. Not, necessarily, bad but often are. Because actors are trained to lie. And lawyers are trained, or were, also to act but, more importantly, how to argue. Again, for good or bad. Is rhetoric and argument even taught in school now? Important. I know some will dispute but training in defending positions you don't agree with is powerful. Key is, of course, developing your own or keeping beliefs but ability, so you can fight for those. With logic and other means. Non-violently. Or, if attacked, fend off. Hint: define terms is a good rear-guard action. "Fuck you" or burning down a convenience store should not be an argument.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 10, 2018, 11:40:58 PM
Ha! I thought that one involved a certain politician from Mass and a homosexual prostitution? That, of course, of which he was unaware. Maybe connected though? Where's 4-chan or jackstar? Barney was sorta creepy...

In another lifetime I went to a charity fashion show in Deep Ellum up in Dallas sponsored by Moulon Rouge. It was an Aids benefit and I was a guest of the producer. Except I didn’t realize it was Halloween. 1995 if I remember correctly. Definitely a reason for every LGBTQ (back when there was only LG) to dress in drag or outrageous costumes. I was in Black Tie.

This huge purple Barney with a blonde wig and lace bra and panties kept following me around pinching my ass and grabbing my crotch. No idea if it was a L or a G.  I left early and went back to my hotel room.

#metoo

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 11, 2018, 12:05:52 AM
In another lifetime I went to a charity fashion show in Deep Ellum up in Dallas sponsored by Moulon Rouge. It was an Aids benefit and I was a guest of the producer. Except I didn’t realize it was Halloween. 1995 if I remember correctly. Definitely a reason for every LGBTQ (back when there was only LG) to dress in drag or outrageous costumes. I was in Black Tie.

This huge purple Barney with a blonde wig and lace bra and panties kept following me around pinching my ass and grabbing my crotch. No idea if it was a L or a G.  I left early and went back to my hotel room.

#metoo
He/She was only 'checking your six.' You should've had better 'situational awareness.'

Quote from: albrecht on April 11, 2018, 12:00:25 AM
Why politicians, leaders, etc successful are lawyers, actors, etc. Know the methods. Not, necessarily, bad but often are. Because actors are trained to lie. And lawyers are trained, or were, also to act but, more importantly, how to argue. Again, for good or bad. Is rhetoric and argument even taught in school now? Important. I know some will dispute but training in defending positions you don't agree with is powerful. Key is, of course, developing your own or keeping beliefs but ability, so you can fight for those. With logic and other means. Non-violently. Or, if attacked, fend off. Hint: define terms is a good rear-guard action. "Fuck you" or burning down a convenience store should not be an argument.

I am not the sharpest bulb in the shed, but I do admire someone with an ability for honest debate. A person who can develop and understand a well-reasoned argument understands why they believe what they believe. Whether they believe in, or are even truthful in their argument is another matter, but I suspect a lot of frustration that occurs when people don't really understand why they believe what they believe results in the scenarios you give. Of course pride and not wanting to admit when one has been wrong plays it's part too lol.

Defined and universally understood terms are indeed important if getting at some truth is the goal. Unfortunately, obfuscation of both facts and terms is effective for getting someone to believe and do things they otherwise would not. Who was it that said something to the effect, "it doesn't matter why you do what we want you to do, only that you do it"?

I can't say if rhetoric and logic are usually taught outside of college level electives but I doubt it

albrecht

Quote from: sumthinz going on on April 11, 2018, 12:48:48 AM
I am not the sharpest bulb in the shed, but I do admire someone with an ability for honest debate. A person who can develop and understand a well-reasoned argument understands why they believe what they believe. Whether they believe in, or are even truthful in their argument is another matter, but I suspect a lot of frustration that occurs when people don't really understand why they believe what they believe results in the scenarios you give. Of course pride and not wanting to admit when one has been wrong plays it's part too lol.

Defined and universally understood terms are indeed important if getting at some truth is the goal. Unfortunately, obfuscation of both facts and terms is effective for getting someone to believe and do things they otherwise would not. Who was it that said something to the effect, "it doesn't matter why you do what we want you to do, only that you do it"?

I can't say if rhetoric and logic are usually taught outside of college level electives but I doubt it
FUCK YOU is new Q.E.D, it seems. Wonder why other countries are better on tests in many subjects? And why the IMPORTANT fundamentals aren't taught anymore? Simple logic, civics, and rhetoric and composition used to be middle school, and grammar before. Crazy how standards lowered. I won't write of math and science, and history are lacking. But first teach, allow, kids to THINK, argue, question, believe, etc. And parents also. Not rely on public schools to do so. (I apologize for bad structure. On a phone and horrible interface for posting

Quote from: albrecht on April 11, 2018, 01:14:32 AM
FUCK YOU is new Q.E.D, it seems. Wonder why other countries are better on tests in many subjects? And why the IMPORTANT fundamentals aren't taught anymore? Simple logic, civics, and rhetoric and composition used to be middle school, and grammar before. Crazy how standards lowered. I won't write of math and science, and history are lacking. But first teach, allow, kids to THINK, argue, question, believe, etc.

Indeed and agreed!

albrecht

Quote from: sumthinz going on on April 11, 2018, 01:16:40 AM
Indeed and agreed!
I sound liberal, ha, but in to good way. I also think we need more music, sports, and toughess in schools. Forget this bullying crap, let some 'meet after school' fisticuffs and get rid of the phones n social media. Learn an instrument, choir, or band  (music=math) Have to play at least one sport, and regular gym for all. Other art as well. In addition to classes in math, economic, science, histoty, logic, rhetoric, civics, bio, etc etc .And AG stuff, shop class, school campouts, hikes, Home Economics[size=78%], etc.[/size]

paladin1991

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 10, 2018, 09:57:32 PM
BAE? ???

I never heard anyone say cool beans until about ten years ago. Before that we just used to say cool.

I take exception to am the poster child for butthurt.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 11, 2018, 01:58:40 AM
Triggered.

Hilarious. You really just have that one joke then? ::)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 10, 2018, 07:20:06 PM
Reached out (he/she 'reached out' to him/her)

Because of the way your father used to reach out to you?  :D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 10, 2018, 09:57:32 PM
BAE? ???

I take exception to butthurt. It's a perfectly fine word for this day and age.

You are wrong on all parts.

Also my issue with "We're pregnant" is the obvious. The dude isn't pregnant at all.

If you are referring to The Odyssey, then using epic is fine. However, the burrito you had for lunch was not "epic".

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 11, 2018, 09:29:15 AM

You are wrong on all parts.

Also my issue with "We're pregnant" is the obvious. The dude isn't pregnant at all.

If you are referring to The Odyssey, then using epic is fine. However, the burrito you had for lunch was not "epic".

What if you saw Jesus in the burrito?