• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Metron2267

It's their 2+2 model or coupe.

It's a little bit longer for the vestigal "seat room" in the back.

Ferrari revived the same look for their new Lusso coupe:

Spookcat

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 05, 2018, 03:00:28 PM

Good grief, September 3, 1909.  This has got to be one of the oldest postcards in my collection.  I have another postcard like this one and also from the same sender.  I must have bought them together though I can't remember where or when. 

Good luck on reading the message.  The sender liked to utilize every micro inch of the postcard.

Sept. 3, 1909
Dear Mag,
I am not exactly dead you see. I tried store life for a little over two weeks had to put in a lot of overtime besides night school so did not have much time. I am
doing day & night now it is a hassel to get lessons ready for both nights-three times a week. I past my

Above Post Card:
? in business but not in newspaper got all the rest. So am on B. ? now

Around the stamp:
which is rather heavy. Best love all will send a letter soon. I expect to send a parcel to Mother (wiped out) for you there (wiped out) doz towels

For address only:
1/2 doz girls vests
2 pks for girls hose
You will get them
O.K. settle with me for the 8 weeks. 54(cents?)
Sis is settling for (?) may be she told you.

Rix Gins

Quote from: spookcat on October 19, 2018, 05:56:44 AM
Sept. 3, 1909
Dear Mag,
I am not exactly dead you see. I tried store life for a little over two weeks had to put in a lot of overtime besides night school so did not have much time. I am
doing day & night now it is a hassel to get lessons ready for both nights-three times a week. I past my

Above Post Card:
? in business but not in newspaper got all the rest. So am on B. ? now

Around the stamp:
which is rather heavy. Best love all will send a letter soon. I expect to send a parcel to Mother (wiped out) for you there (wiped out) doz towels

For address only:
1/2 doz girls vests
2 pks for girls hose
You will get them
O.K. settle with me for the 8 weeks. 54(cents?)
Sis is settling for (?) may be she told you.

Thanks, spookcat, you did Yeoman's work in deciphering that difficult postcard.  Now that you have done all the hard work, I'll just add that on  September 3, 1909, a ferry boat named the Magnolia was struck by another ferry, called the Nettie and it (the Magnolia) split in two, sinking immediately in Sheepshead Bay at New York. There were 33 people on board and, after some long and difficult rescue work, everyone was saved.

Rix Gins

Here is a postcard showing the Maine (as in the battleship) Memorial Cemetery.  Somewhere along the line, the name was changed to Key West (as in Florida) Cemetery.  A number of the Maine victims are buried there. Elena Hoyos is buried there also, apparently in a secret location within the cemetery.  You can read about her strange story here: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/23114033/elena-hoyos

Rix Gins

"Breaker, Breaker, got your ears on, good buddy?"  Well, I think you can tell that I was never a C.B. operator.  Being one must suit Brian A. Threadgill, of Birmingham, Alalbama.  The guy is 94 years old. https://www.peekyou.com/brian_threadgill/129390037

Metron2267

Rix Gins

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 06:17:28 PM
Love that CB radio postcard!

2 more:

Oh, those are nice.  I've noticed that CB & ham radio postcards have nice, personalized artwork on them.  I always keep a lookout for them on a postcard auction that I enter once a month.

Metron2267

You can find and/or collect some really artistic and interesting QSO cards.

QSO means a radio contact or conversation and is almost an artifact these days as everything on amateur radio has moved to computer logging.

I really enjoy this thread, and thanks for keeping it running. :)

Rix Gins

Quote from: Metron2267 on October 20, 2018, 07:51:47 PM
You can find and/or collect some really artistic and interesting QSO cards.

QSO means a radio contact or conversation and is almost an artifact these days as everything on amateur radio has moved to computer logging.

I really enjoy this thread, and thanks for keeping it running. :)

Very happy that you like the thread.  Thank you for the QSO information.       

Rix Gins

Here is a colorful postcard showing the New River at Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I love postcards from the 1950's.  The Academy Awards were held on March 25, 1954. (The date that the postcard was cancelled on.)  The Best Picture award went to "From Here to Eternity."  William Holden won the Best Actor award ("Stalag 17") and Audrey Hepburn took the Best Actress Oscar for the movie "Roman Holiday."

Outside the 26th Annual Academy Awards at RKO Pantages Theater in Los Angeles, Calif., 1954.
By Los Angeles Daily News.  Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6754156

Rix Gins

Here is yet another postcard from Shay P's Richmond, Virginia.  Poor guy, I hope he doesn't think that I'm stalking him or anything.  Quite a lot of history in this building.  Jeff Davis himself was in there during the Civil War.  Nice row of cars out front.  What make is that second car?  A Buick perhaps?  The first one is a Chevy, right?  The third is a Ford Fairlane, I'm guessing.  The fourth is a, my god, a Hudson Hornet?  I'd so love to have that one.

The postcard was cancelled on January 20, 1961.  An important date.  That was the day that John F. Kennedy was inaugurated as the 35th president of the United States.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inauguration_of_John_F._Kennedy

JFK inauguration.
Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=118610

Rix Gins

Here is a look at the famous Spouting Horn, on the Pacific coast at Depot Bay, Oregon.  You can see it right off the coast highway but there is a place where you can stand to get a better look at it.  I've gone by the thing several times and I could see the crowd of people waiting for the horn to spout but nothing was happening as I went by.

Rix Gins

The Best Western Wheat Lands Hotel in Garden City, Kansas.  Nice looking restaurant.  That interesting mural to the left shows WWI's Manfred Von Richthofen flying his red, Fokker Dr.I triplane.  Shortly before he was shot down? 

I think the place is still there, if this is a correct link.   https://www.idcide.com/hotels/ks/best-western-wheatlands-hotel.htm 

Rix Gins

This rather striking photo postcard shows an American doughboy standing by a camouflaged trench dugout back in World War One.  He looks pretty casual.  It might be a sector where no fighting was taking place.  Or perhaps the war was over.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 01, 2018, 09:50:22 PM

This rather striking photo postcard shows an American doughboy standing by a camouflaged trench dugout back in World War One.  He looks pretty casual.  It might be a sector where no fighting was taking place.  Or perhaps the war was over.

Weird, Rix.  He looks very alone.  Hard to make out, but he appears to sport a large, light-colored mustache.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 01, 2018, 10:17:46 PM
Weird, Rix.  He looks very alone.  Hard to make out, but he appears to sport a large, light-colored mustache.

Yes, K.  Now that you mention it, that guy seems to have a full out, bushy walrus mustache.  With just ten more days of World War One (one hundred years ago, of course,) I'd like to think that he was poking around after the fighting had stopped.  Perhaps where he had been doing some heavy fighting just days before. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 02, 2018, 12:55:54 AM
Yes, K.  Now that you mention it, that guy seems to have a full out, bushy walrus mustache.  With just ten more days of World War One (one hundred years ago, of course,) I'd like to think that he was poking around after the fighting had stopped.  Perhaps where he had been doing some heavy fighting just days before.

That would certainly be the poetic thing; I like it.  By this time, if I remember right, at least parts of the front had moved beyond the entrenched positions they'd held for years, and they were operating in the open.  Maybe a senior NCO posing by a vacated German position?

Rix Gins

Another WWI postcard.  In my research, I have come to find out that the soldiers usually got their photos taken on two occasions.  Shortly after their training stateside, and/or after arriving in France.

Rix Gins

Zounds!  Put a mustache on that soldier and he would look like a certain German dictator in the next world war.

Penciled on the back: George Nicholas, (or Nichols) Machine Gun Co., Second Kansas Infantry, Fort Sill, Oklahoma.  (137 days.)

German soldiers in front of a church.

Rix Gins

There was a note written on the back of the above card but it's too faded to read.  Lost to the mists of time. 

Rix Gins

German officer's and soldier's home.

German soldiers standing in the ruins of St. Mihiel, France.

Rix Gins

A group of German Infantry soldiers posing in Germany (Wiesbaden) with a note dated April 29, 1915.

Rix Gins

Here is a look at the General Store at Knott's Berry Farm in California.  At least how it looked back in the mid 1960's.  The wood stove is still there but I think that they got rid of the guys playing checkers.  https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-general-store-at-knotts-berry-farm-buena-park?select=CPIJAniueQrgnKNX3kjJpA

Rix Gins

I couldn't find much info about this Schrafft's Restaurant/Motor Inn in Florida. It was part of a chain of Schrafft's restaurants, most of which were in New York. There was also a well known Schrafft's Candy Company back in the day.  The candy company and the restaurants were related. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrafft%27s

The postcard was cancelled on March 10, 1966.  The North Vietnamese captured a US Green Beret Camp at Ashau Valley on that day.  Edie Brickell (wife of singer Paul Simon) was born on March 10, 1966.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 19, 2018, 11:46:34 AM

I looked for that Connecticut Schrafft's with the trees behind it, but all I could find was apartment complexes and condos.