• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

ItsOver

ge30542

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 09, 2016, 10:44:08 AM

Yes, indeed, my friend. Nobody loves the old westerns (spaghetti and otherwise) more than yours truly. Hey, IO, if ya really want to see the ultimate BOMBSHELL in a classic western, you have to check out Rio Bravo, starring The Duke, Dino Crocetti, Ricky Nelson, and the amazzzzzzzzzzzing Janice Dickerson. Fell totally in love with her the first time I ever watched this movie.
Perhaps you refer to "Police Woman" Angie Dickenson, she is/was a very sexy woman.

ge30542

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 08, 2016, 08:03:53 PM
Nick Clooney (George's dad and Rosemary's brother) also hosted AMC back in 1994.

Nick Clooney was also the local news anchor in Cincinnati when I grew up there.
This would've been late 60s early 70s.

akwilly

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 03:34:35 PM
Perhaps you refer to "Police Woman" Angie Dickenson, she is/was a very sexy woman.
met her once. She was with her daughter who was very ill

ItsOver

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 03:37:26 PM
Nick Clooney was also the local news anchor in Cincinnati when I grew up there.
This would've been late 60s early 70s.
You may even remember The 50/50 Club. :))

ge30542

Quote from: TigerLily on July 08, 2016, 05:32:37 PM
Some great classic chick flicks out there.  I might have posted this here before ... have to ask ge since he just read the posts ... but I have quite a few classic Westerns I really like including the great Ford/Wayne movies.  My favorite has to be Red River. Directed by Howard Hawks. Everything that can happen on a cattle drive does.  I love the interplay between  Montgomery Clift, so still and understated and so short he has a special way of jumping into the stirrup to mount his horse, up against big blustering, loud and angry John Wayne who's character is more complex than in a lot of his movies.

When I think about it there are a lot of great Westerns. Old classics and new
Tiger Lily, ever seen the first chic flick?  MGM, 1939 "The Women".
George Cuckor directs Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Ros Russell, Paulette Goddard, Joan Fontaine, and on and on. First all female cast. Rich lady finds out her husband is having an affair with a shop girl. Very catty, very funny, very entertaining. Check it out.

ge30542

Quote from: ItsOver on July 09, 2016, 03:46:36 PM
You may even remember The 50/50 Club. :))

The 50 fuckin 50 club??!!
Who are you?  Remember Bob Braun, Colleen Sharp, Remember the guy with the morning show, was it Paul Dickson?  Remember Al Schottlekotte, channel 9 news? Skipper Ryle?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on July 09, 2016, 01:29:57 PM
Yes it's at the end and it's a great ambivalent note after Kirk's speech about needing struggle to have meaning.  A philosphical episode, with some classic scenes like Spock finding shapes in the clouds, and also the other Kirk/Spock fight i.e. the one that doesn't take place on Vulcan.

The thing that really caused Spock to lose his shit was when Kirk said he belonged in the freak show next to the dog-faced boy.  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on July 09, 2016, 01:58:30 PM
Speaking of "Trek," this was just some damn fine writing.  A great episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever

Yeah, one of the best! Too bad the guy who wrote it is such an insufferable prick. In spite of that I still like the guy. There something about people who know that they're good at something and are confident enough to brag about it but a lot of the times these not so humble brags would included a lot of criticism of other writers too. Anyway, enough of my exposé. This episode would probably make anyone's top ten list.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 09, 2016, 03:56:35 PM
The thing that really caused Spock to lose his shit was when Kirk said he belonged in the freak show next to the dog-faced boy.  :D

Haha yeah so awesome how he provokes him.  There's something about how he should be squatting on a mushroom or something lol.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on July 09, 2016, 07:28:05 PM
Haha yeah so awesome how he provokes him.  There's something about how he should be squatting on a mushroom or something lol.

Kirk's whole strategy, of course, was to cut deep to enrage him and snap him out of it. So, he started off saying that Leila didn't really love him and never really could because he's not a real man. Then he really started trolling!  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 03:53:42 PM
The 50 fuckin 50 club??!!
Who are you?  Remember Bob Braun, Colleen Sharp, Remember the guy with the morning show, was it Paul Dickson?  Remember Al Schottlekotte, channel 9 news? Skipper Ryle?
Ha!  Who ARE yeeewww? ;):)

You bet.  Good 'ol Al for the news and Bob Braun crooning.  All the local women always had Ruth Lyons on, while we kids were terrorizing the neighborhood.

albrecht

FYI: Svengoolie showing "House of Dracula" 1949)  tonight on MeTV, starting in a few minutes.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on July 09, 2016, 07:59:28 PM
FYI: Svengoolie showing "House of Dracula" 1949)  tonight on MeTV, starting in a few minutes.
DVRing it right now!  I bet Cam has it tuned-in, too.

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 03:49:46 PM
George Cuckor directs Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Ros Russell, Paulette Goddard, Joan Fontaine, and on and on. First all female cast. Rich lady finds out her husband is having an affair with a shop girl. Very catty, very funny, very entertaining. Check it out.

Definitely not the first chick flick but maybe the best.  Joan Crawford made a series of chick flicks between 1928-1930:  Our Dancing Daughters, Our Modern Maidens and Our Blushing Brides.  Numerous pre-code films were also chick flicks.

Quote from: albrecht on July 09, 2016, 07:59:28 PM

I'm going to be a bit anal but House of Dracula was 1945. The last of the classic Universal Horror Films except for Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 09, 2016, 04:06:07 PM
Yeah, one of the best! Too bad the guy who wrote it is such an insufferable prick. In spite of that I still like the guy. There something about people who know that they're good at something and are confident enough to brag about it but a lot of the times these not so humble brags would included a lot of criticism of other writers too. Anyway, enough of my exposé. This episode would probably make anyone's top ten list.

Good old Harlan.  He thinks the world of himself and thinks everyone else should too. lol

TigerLily

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 03:49:46 PM

Yes. I've seen it. It is great. I understand even the animals are all female.  So many great lines and great scenes. What comes to mind at the moment is toward the end when Norma says something to the effect, "Now I've grown claws and they're Jungle Red"

Quote from: ge30542 on July 09, 2016, 03:34:35 PM

Hahaha how the heck did I come up with Janice dickerson. OMG...too funny. I`ll just blame the meds.

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 10, 2016, 07:07:24 AM
Hahaha how the heck did I come up with Janice dickerson. OMG...too funny. I`ll just blame the meds.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 09, 2016, 09:07:14 PM
Good old Harlan.  He thinks the world of himself and thinks everyone else should too. lol
Ha!  He is kind of a Jack.  Wiki has a pretty good write-up about all that went into the episode, beyond the self-consumed Harlan. :)

ge30542

How did we all here get started with "old movies"?
My progression was starting with Judy Garland & Oz.
As probably a 10yo in '69.  Probably then onto every years Christmas broadcast of Jimmy Stewart in Wonderful Life.
As a teen, in mid '70s, on Saturday nights at midnight, local StL channel ran the "Bijou Picture Show", showing old films.
My next step logically wad Casablanca, as a teen.
So it was Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca, and on from there. Maybe similar path for folks of my age, (57)?

TigerLily

When I was a kid of course there was Wizard of Oz. Then sci fi and scary movies on Saturdays and late late show old movies.

But here is a fun story.  During the summer I was 15, while my mom was in the little park next to our house she found a cigarette pack with a joint in it. I remember she was so excited that she had found it and wanted to try it out with me. So the first time I got high was with my mom and we watched The Thin Man. Best movie I had ever seen  ;). That began my love affair with old movies. My mom was a big movie buff so she tutored me in classic movies.

She also introduced me to Science Fiction books and Art Bell.  Very cool mom.

zeebo

I think for me it started with Hitchcock movies.  I remember trying to impress an early gf by renting Strangers on a Train, even though I knew nothing about it.  Turns out I was hooked after that.  I remember being amazed how much drama and plot was spun with actual dialogue.  With a well-written script, good actors, and capable direction you can really have a good movie.  Still to this day I'm amazed at what was done with such simple sets & effects when the good storytelling elements were there.  Nowadays movies just take short-cuts and throw in car chases or loud soundracks or ridiculous special effects etc - much harder than writing solid dialogue and plots.

ge30542

I think part of the appeal for, was hearing my mother say these were the movies that she and her little brother would see weekly at the theater. You know the story, 25 cents would gain access to the movie for two kids, plus popcorn, or whatever the prices were in the 30s.
The Thin Man, EXCELLENT! William Powell was truly entertaining to watch. Very funny.

ge30542

Zeebo, you are correct. Those films had NO car crashes, NO heads chopped off, NO laser explosions, NO nude/sex scenes, just great stories. I guess I'm showing my age, but as you say, with great story and direction, they generated delightful entertainment.

ge30542

I love especially the WWII era films.
What a time to have been alive. Our grandparents generation saved the world, sacrificed  willingly, asked nothing in return.

Quote from: ge30542 on July 10, 2016, 05:12:25 PM
How did we all here get started with "old movies"?
My progression was starting with Judy Garland & Oz.
As probably a 10yo in '69.  Probably then onto every years Christmas broadcast of Jimmy Stewart in Wonderful Life.
As a teen, in mid '70s, on Saturday nights at midnight, local StL channel ran the "Bijou Picture Show", showing old films.
My next step logically wad Casablanca, as a teen.
So it was Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca, and on from there. Maybe similar path for folks of my age, (57)?

I would say Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and all of the other Universal horrors got me started.  Also loved the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes films, Charlie Chan and the early gangster movies particularly The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, The Roaring Twenties and Angels With Dirty Faces.  Those got the ball rolling for me.  This would have been in the early 70's when all we had was a black and white TV.  We got our first color TV in '73 when we moved to Pennsylvania.

I did watch Wizard of Oz and the Ten Commandments religiously in those days too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ge30542 on July 11, 2016, 05:23:09 PM
I think part of the appeal for, was hearing my mother say these were the movies that she and her little brother would see weekly at the theater. You know the story, 25 cents would gain access to the movie for two kids, plus popcorn, or whatever the prices were in the 30s.
The Thin Man, EXCELLENT! William Powell was truly entertaining to watch. Very funny.

Yeah, I heard the same stories from my mom. 25 cents would not only cover the movie but the ride there and back and snacks. Mom, what happened to this paradise you used to live in?!  ??? ::) :P

Quote from: zeebo on July 11, 2016, 01:07:29 AM
I think for me it started with Hitchcock movies.  I remember trying to impress an early gf by renting Strangers on a Train, even though I knew nothing about it.  Turns out I was hooked after that.  I remember being amazed how much drama and plot was spun with actual dialogue.  With a well-written script, good actors, and capable direction you can really have a good movie.  Still to this day I'm amazed at what was done with such simple sets & effects when the good storytelling elements were there.  Nowadays movies just take short-cuts and throw in car chases or loud soundracks or ridiculous special effects etc - much harder than writing solid dialogue and plots.

First Hitchcock that I probably saw was Psycho or The Birds.  Can't remember which.