• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I can't take it anymore

Started by ringthane, September 08, 2010, 08:15:21 AM

ringthane

Hi all,

Long time C2C fan, first time poster. I'm a Taurus that likes long walks on the beach.

I loved Art. I suffered through Siegel. Art vacillated with retirement more than Favre. Finally, the network selects Snoory.

I was thrilled. Snoory had an enthusiasm that Siegel never had. At first, I was caught up with Snoory's 'new host smell', I cut the guy some slack. But now, i just can't take it anymore.

I started to notice the idiotic comments, and i initially thought the guy was being surreptitiously glib. Then there's the floating format stuff -- this really just screams poor programming/bifurcated ADHD 'we don't know what the fuck we're doing over here' kind of vibe. Sometimes a FF works if the guests are even remotely related, but they'll toss together some inane floating format like Bhoutros Bhoutros-Ghali's new naked psychic hotline after an interview with an RFID activist.

The show increasingly dumbs stuff down to the lowest common denominator and seems to take an inordinate amount of calls praising Snoory for his inclusive and friendly manner. Bite me. Challenge some damn guests once in awhile, like that half-wit wand guy Neil Slade.

Interviewing -- Snoory is terrible. No insight, no accountability for asshat guests, no extemperaneous think by the seat of your pants with Snoory.

Overall programming -- someone said in a previous thread that Art Bell in the 90s was practically a national security threat. Now it's this watery, new age pablum. And when Snoory does manage to book an interesting guest, he simply punctuates the interview with idiocy like "geeze' or 'that's incredible!'

Guests -- Joshua P. Warren just drives me absolute batshit. Where the f&*! did they find this clown? A haunted doll? This chucklehead is such a self-aggrandizing fucktwit with no background, training or meaningful commentary on the topic. Given all the money making bullshit on his site, Joshua P. is like one shade more credible than Sean David Morton.

The patronizing I'll be there for you during the holidays bullshit. Screw you and your idiotic martyr pose, George.

Where are the shows on the Schumann resonance, brownian motion? What about boring as oatmeal but incredibly informative Peter Davenport? Where are the questions on mitochondrial DNA from supposed alien skulls? Christ on skates, I don't care if you give me bipedal alien reptoids with lasers shooting out of their eyes, just give the guest some goddamned cogent questions and not this crap that would embarrass my 11 year-old nephew.

Last night: "What's the difference between a psychic and an astrologer?"

F*ck me. I die a little inside every time I listen to Snoory.

I dream of Knapp taking over. It'll never happen. Knapp is too dry and wouldn't put up with the network's BS or give up the day job.

Sorry for that. I needed to rant. I can't take it anymore. I only keep on C2C now because it's a good way to mask my tinnitus.

God, I really miss the old show. I wish it would've died instead of jumping the shark like it has.

MV/Liberace!

hi, ringthane.  it's a pleasure to have you here, and i hope you'll post often.  i think you'll find we're an easy bunch.

fafinaf

Hey ringthane,

I'm new here too..

I agree with you wholeheartedly on George.. I really do wish he would challenge callers. Ian Punnet does a good job of that sometimes..

I just can't stand listening to the regular callers who are just really out there.. I literally LOL sometimes when I hear what these guys are  trying to pass along as real stories etc.

Welcome to the forums!

ringthane

Thanks for the welcome guys. In regards to callers, I've noticed a change in the type of people that get on air over the last few years. With Art, it was always a crapshoot but many times you would get some incredibly interesting folks that would make it on.

Now, it seems like most of the people that are screened and make it on air are the typical 'new listener.' The other issue I have with callers is how George handles them. Art would occasionally get pranked, but if he had a psycho on his hands he milked it for everything it was worth. If the person was your typical babbling, incoherent dope that got nervous on air, Art cut them loose in 10 seconds or less.

George just lets people drone and drone and *drone* in a buildup to a story/point that quite frankly is a waste of time. People take 90 seconds for a preamble/prelude that should take 15 seconds but George just lets them ramble. Art focused callers, or they got jettisoned; George lets the verbal diarrhea flow. It's bad radio.

But new listeners like George's style, they like the fact he's friendly and inclusive and accommodating and doesn't kick callers to the curb.

Another thing I recently realized in regard to callers: truckers almost never call in anymore. They used to be a core group of C2C listeners. I can't count the times Art would take calls from truckers who would have UFO sightings in the middle of the night on I10.

Marc.Knight

The difference between Art Bell and George Noory is like the difference between Deep Blue and a box of used crayons.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ringthane on September 08, 2010, 11:50:50 PM
But new listeners like George's style, they like the fact he's friendly and inclusive and accommodating and doesn't kick callers to the curb.
you're right about that.  and the change in c2c's caller culture is both annoying and disappointing.  watch the video below.  note george's seemingly deliberate, conspicuous, sloppy put-on to be accepting of everybody, all the time.  it's bullshit.

George Noory On Nightline - February 27, 2010

punkinpie

Quote from: ringthane on September 08, 2010, 08:15:21 AM

Sorry for that. I needed to rant. I can't take it anymore. I only keep on C2C now because it's a good way to mask my tinnitus.

I feel for you.  I have Meniere's Disease that acts up occasionally.  It causes me to have tinnitus too.  No one can understand the frustration it can cause.  I chuckled when I read that because I always listen to C2C when I need to drown it out and get to sleep.

b_dubb

george has an office? why? so he has a place to clip his toenails?

seriously.  that mop of black hair is the most mysterious thing about Noory.  does he actually think he's fooling anyone?

i think George is a paycheck player.  he's just there for the money.  and he may get a kick out of the 'celebrity'

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on September 09, 2010, 08:56:46 PM
george has an office? why? so he has a place to clip his toenails?
and he may get a kick out of the 'celebrity'
i think that's why he moved to LA.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: punkinpie on September 09, 2010, 08:32:28 PM

I feel for you.  I have Meniere's Disease that acts up occasionally.  It causes me to have tinnitus too.  No one can understand the frustration it can cause.  I chuckled when I read that because I always listen to C2C when I need to drown it out and get to sleep.
i have tinnitus, also.  i haven't heard silence in approximately five years.

punkinpie

Quote from: MV on September 10, 2010, 06:23:42 AM

Oh, MV!  I'd be insane after five years!  Thankfully, mine comes and goes.  When Ian had the strange conversation with George and blamed it on not sleeping well because of tinnitus I could totally understand how someone could get to that point.  Do you know what caused it to start?  Are you also listening to the show to drown it out and get some rest?

b_dubb

i can't take it anymore.  they could have gone to the local bar and found a dead drunk who could conduct a better interview than noory.  i can't believe what a fucking idiot he is

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: punkinpie on September 10, 2010, 07:38:03 AM

Oh, MV!  I'd be insane after five years!  Thankfully, mine comes and goes.  When Ian had the strange conversation with George and blamed it on not sleeping well because of tinnitus I could totally understand how someone could get to that point.  Do you know what caused it to start?  Are you also listening to the show to drown it out and get some rest?
mine is the result of 15 years of drumming, many of which were spent like an idiot without any protection.  as i type this, i'm being barraged by an unending wave of what sound to me like high frequency tones.  it literally... never... ends.  i've learned to live with it.  at night i have to sleep with a fan running just to generate white noise, but it doesn't solve the problem entirely because i can still hear the ringing OVER the fan.  it just mitigates the problem to a degree.  i have tried massage techniques and ear drops, neither of which have worked.  i've read about surgical techniques, none of which i'd be willing to undergo since they're high risk and low success.  i think most people don't believe me when i tell them the severity of what i'm living with.  they think i'm exaggerating or something.  why?  i don't know.  i would give anything to remember what silence sounds like, but i fear i will never again experience it.

b_dubb

Quote from: MV on September 16, 2010, 01:07:50 AM
mine is the result of 15 years of drumming, many of which were spent like an idiot without any protection.  as i type this, i'm being barraged by an unending wave of what sound to me like high frequency tones.  it literally... never... ends.  i've learned to live with it.  at night i have to sleep with a fan running just to generate white noise, but it doesn't solve the problem entirely because i can still hear the ringing OVER the fan.  it just mitigates the problem to a degree.  i have tried massage techniques and ear drops, neither of which have worked.  i've read about surgical techniques, none of which i'd be willing to undergo since they're high risk and low success.  i think most people don't believe me when i tell them the severity of what i'm living with.  they think i'm exaggerating or something.  why?  i don't know.  i would give anything to remember what silence sounds like, but i fear i will never again experience it.

i'm guessing you've already been to a doctor, right?  i don't have a fix for tinnitus.  i have some myself - years of electric guitar - but it's manageable. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on September 16, 2010, 01:14:31 AM

i'm guessing you've already been to a doctor, right?  i don't have a fix for tinnitus.  i have some myself - years of electric guitar - but it's manageable.
no, i haven't.  everything i've read indicates there's really nothing that can be done about it with the exception of surgery (which i'm not willing to undergo) and medications, all of which have undesirable side effects.  i'd love to find out i'm wrong.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: punkinpie on September 10, 2010, 07:38:03 AM

Add me to the list.  I am not as clear as to the origins of mine, however.

ArtBellFan

What a  bunch of B.S. I watched enough of the Night Line video to hear the host say that when Art was at the helm the show was mostly about UFO's and Aliens, what garbage..Art brought us the likes of Dr. Michio, Kaku, Dr. David Anderson, Dean Radin, Brian Greene, Robert Seife, I could go on and on about the important scientists and physicists.  Time Travel with John Hutchinson among others, time travel is one of Art's passions.  Medical doctor talking about near death experiences etc.  Over the years Art had on hundreds of very serious credentialed guests.  The fun stuff like Mel's Hole and Mad Man Marcum and let's not forget J.C.

I am sure old Art Bell fans who may have seen that show were sitting there shaking their heads and rolling their eyes.

I have never listened to Snoory and what I don't understand is those of you who still listen but clearly can't stand him, why put yourself through that kind of torture.  I listen to Knapp who rocks, when Art comes on live and his Somewhere in Time shows on Saturday evening, given up listening to Punnett a long time ago.  Week nights I listen to a vintage Art Bell shows from my collection of well over a thousand shows..what is really cool also is since I check the guest list for the week on Coast I click on their websites and many times they have free downloads to interviews they have done elsewhere or links to the program who did the interview, you would be amazed how many there are out there.

You may remember Don Ecker who published UFO Magazine for years, he has a nightly show called Dark Matters and does some great interviews that are free to download..
http://www.dqrm.com/showlist/dmr2.htm  this is just one, many alternatives out there, enjoy your search.

Welcome opening poster.

EvB

QuoteThe patronizing I'll be there for you during the holidays bullshit.   Screw you and your idiotic martyr pose, George.

Yeah, agreed.  This comment - OFTEN repeated - says a lot about Snoory the man, and nothing nice!  Art knew (and Noory SHOULD) that nighttime listeners are often travelers, truck drivers, shift workers, and insomniacs. They don't necessarily lack for friends and family.  Besides - in these days of "blended families" a lot of people do holidays in shifts, or different days than the traditional ones.

I'm with you - Fuck St. George and the ego he rode in on.

analog kid

That was a great rant. I've stopped listening to Coast, unless it's a rare subject that I'm interested in, and if it's Noory hosting, I spend a lot of the show cringing at his inanity. I don't listen to the final hour of any show though, as the rambling callers are too much to bear. I just think that Art has a lot of character, that he's honed over a lifetime of broadcasting and ham radio, and that it's crucial to field the wide range of crazy. Noory is just on autopilot and possibly flat-out incurious.

I had ringing in my ears for a few years, from being in a band, and it was two tones that would oscillate horribly out of key. I got so tired of those tones, but it finally went away.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on October 11, 2010, 07:52:17 PM

I had ringing in my ears for a few years, from being in a band, and it was two tones that would oscillate horribly out of key. I got so tired of those tones, but it finally went away.
that's how mine is... slightly different tones that oscillate.  it would be nice if they were conveniently toned such that they form a nice chord... but, alas...