• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Shaving

Started by Dr. MD MD, November 29, 2016, 05:31:00 AM

Dr. MD MD

While my experimentation with dad’s old Gilette safety razor from the 50s didn’t stick I now much prefer to make my own foam from a decent puck or paste and brush. I had a flawless victory today using Proraso as you often will with that slick stuff, given you use enough and froth it into as thick enough lather. However I recently discovered this brand: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/van-der-lovett-soap.549935/ and am quite impressed with the smell and shave. I got the Sweet Woods one and the Royal Orange. They were only a few dollars a puck. It’s a much smaller puck than you’d get with something like Wilkenson but much better quality too. I’m more than happy with this purchase.

Dr. MD MD

Another flawless victory today with the Van der Lovett Sweetwood, which I’ve determined to be a bay rum smell:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_rum

I’d probably still give the edge to Proraso if I had to choose but I really like this one too.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 17, 2018, 07:46:16 PM
Another flawless victory today with the Van der Lovett Sweetwood, which I’ve determined to be a bay rum smell:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_rum

I’d probably still give the edge to Proraso if I had to choose but I really like this one too.
I'm glad that you are getting a good shave with the vintage tools.  I have recently found Palmolive cream with menthol.  Great, cooling feel (and smell) for summer- and it leathers pretty good as well.  Prefer to use that with the old single edge vs. the straights.  I prefer the soaps (usually tallow based) for straights as there seems to be just a little more "cushion" or slickness.

So... What brand of blade did you stick in the beast?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on October 19, 2018, 10:25:26 PM
I'm glad that you are getting a good shave with the vintage tools.  I have recently found Palmolive cream with menthol.  Great, cooling feel (and smell) for summer- and it leathers pretty good as well.  Prefer to use that with the old single edge vs. the straights.  I prefer the soaps (usually tallow based) for straights as there seems to be just a little more "cushion" or slickness.

So... What brand of blade did you stick in the beast?

I guess you didn’t read my post before the last. I gave up on the old safety razor but stuck with the make your own foam part. Thanks for the recommendation though.

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 20, 2018, 04:18:55 AM
I guess you didn’t read my post before the last. I gave up on the old safety razor but stuck with the make your own foam part. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Ah... To be honest, the old double edge razors are the only ones that I don't use.  The single edge and straights are best / easiest.  The new cartridges will do in a pinch (I used the mach III once in the last year.)  The double edge I could never get a good shave from, and have actually "skinned" my face with really bad results.

Anyhow, if you can find the Palmolive with menthol, it is nice.  I have never tried the plain...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on October 20, 2018, 11:40:39 AM
Ah... To be honest, the old double edge razors are the only ones that I don't use.  The single edge and straights are best / easiest.  The new cartridges will do in a pinch (I used the mach III once in the last year.)  The double edge I could never get a good shave from, and have actually "skinned" my face with really bad results.

Anyhow, if you can find the Palmolive with menthol, it is nice.  I have never tried the plain...

Will do...though right now I’m pretty overstocked on shaving soap. I recently found an unopened tube of Alba shave cream I forgot I had. I have no idea what it’s like but I’ll report back here when I try it.

Dr. MD MD

OK, I tried this Alba Shave Cream. The directions said just to apply a film of it across your face but I wanted to see if it would foam up. It wouldn’t. So, I just applied a generous film and then proceeded to have one of the worst shaves I’ve had in a long time. Many small nicks. Another thing I didn’t like about it is that whatever’s in it it made my face numb like lidocaine. I never like that feeling while shaving. I just want something that makes it easier and has a nice smell or at least one that doesn’t bother me. This failed. Bad shave mojo.  :(

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 18, 2018, 08:20:08 PM
OK, I tried this Alba Shave Cream... This failed. Bad shave mojo.  :(
Years ago somebody brought me some kind of "brushless" shave cream.  I can't recall what it was- only that it came from some "hippy dippy" shop, came in a purple plastic tube, and screamed that it was not tested on animals, and was all natural.  Well, Mitchells Wool Fat soap was probably tested on prisoners in the 1700's instead of valuable livestock, and is natural as well (albeit, made out of animals...)

I thought if they could produce that kind of product centuries ago, this must be something special... And I was wrong.  I learned to stick with the classics.

albrecht

There is a difference, idk mettalugry (sp? On phone n such) between blades. The scam of mulitple is obvious. But use good ones or, if price issue, use Paki or Chinese blades but throw out n switch out quick. As an aside, not shaving comment,  I bought a cheap amazon deal on blades when I was moving and so cutting lots of tape, boxes, etc. You get what you pay for. Crappy. Thin, not sharp, a scam almost. I hope no hooligan at soccer match in Scotland brings them to a fight. Haha.

ksm32

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 18, 2018, 08:20:08 PM
OK, I tried this Alba Shave Cream.
Hate that stuff.

Back to shaving in shower with old spice. Working fine.